Civilian Marksmanship Program. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Cam83
07-08-2012, 17:39
I'm looking into getting a surplus Garand and was wondering if anyone had ever bought from the CMP?
It seems to be simple enough.

How was the process?

Is it worth it?

Any things to be aware of?

CBennett
07-08-2012, 18:07
Dont know but I put im my order 7/5 for a Service Grade M1 Garand(wanted a CORRECT grade one but could not find one for a REASONABLE price). Obviously being my first purchase I guess the most obvious things are

1. print off the forms(they are on the site)
2. Have all YOUR forms ready to go that show you have Citizenship(birth certificate),Age(drivers license) Belong to a club that the CMP is affiliated with(many are listed on their forum),Have your proof of marksmanship/rifle training ready(mine was my DD214 from the military), and get ready to find a Notary to notarize the one form.
3. Send out the forms in the pack after tripple checking you have included all the above stuff and SIGNED and gotten notarized all of it
4. Begin the wait(this is the point im at)

Supposedly they notify you when they get your forms, when they charge your Credit card(dont know if you get anything if you use other payment options), and when it ships.

Is it worth it..IMO strongly YES...the only thing better would be to have all the guages(for muzzle and throat erosion and then be able to verify headspacing and get one from someone you know and or trust..then your not buying sight unseen and can verify yourself the specs..

Drawbacks: very few actually...worst that can happen is you get your gun and its not as nice as others have gotten or as nice as you think it should be according to the grade you got. There seem to be very few "horror" stories about bad guns on their forums...I dont know if thats because there are so few or as the PM I got from a member that didnt want o post on a question I had(similar to yours here) and said you will see few horror stories because if you complain the entire site jumps on you for complaining... But that is what it is...I just have my fingers crossed that the gun is a nice as some of the guys that have posted their new arrivals on the forums at CMP..if its as nice I will be happy. If its not...i will probably sell it(you will make back AT LEAST what you paid for it as the CMP is just about the least expensive you can get) and start over with a private sale...

I did see a few guns at a slight premium over on the CMP forums in their for sale part..they looked real nice but I dont know if id pay the $100 premium on them(they wanted $750+shipping+FFL fees and the CMP ones are $650 shipped to your door no FFL no tax. I guess if your saying that the extra is ok for a hand picked one..then you can say your good to go getting one at slightly more..

CMP seems great, its the least expensive shot at getting a real nice gun thats in spec(they write the specs on a card that comes with the gun for muzzle wear and throat erosion) and gone through by a CMP armorer...ive looked you cant find a better one cheaper unless you know a friend that will give you a deal and thats a fact. Also ive heard that CMP has great customer service though obviously ive never used it and hope never to have to :) .

Cam83
07-08-2012, 18:27
Thank you, that information is very descriptive and helpful.

My main concerns were with receiving the rifle in good condition of course, a few dings in the stock and a little wear on the metal wouldn't bother me as long as it functioned correctly.

I'm guessing that shooting IDPA would qualify as a recognized marksmanship program; along with an NRA membership, would this fill the needed criteria?

PEC-Memphis
07-08-2012, 18:29
I'm looking into getting a surplus Garand and was wondering if anyone had ever bought from the CMP?

How was the process?

Is it worth it?

Any things to be aware of?

How was the process? Not much different than buying from a regular gun shop. You need to be a member of an affiliate organization.

Is it worth it? Yes in my opinion

Any things to be aware of? Go there and pick one out if you can. The garand is available in 308 as well as 30-06. If you go there and talk nicely to them, they may swap some better/ more correct parts.

Go to the website for affiliates, I don't think IDPA or NRA membership qualifies.

CBennett
07-08-2012, 19:40
Go to their web site do some leg work(well in this case web browsing) and see what qualifies..Im not gonna go back over there and try to find every organization that qualifies..its right on their site. Thats how I knew my local club I was already a member of was included...and I had no idea till I looked.

with the affiliated clubs this is as far as I can do you need to figure out the rest on your own :)

http://www.odcmp.com/clubs/searchclubs.htm

they are listed by state if none close by or in your state are found you can join a nationwide(and highly recomended) club to help you get started and thats the Garand Collectors Association http://www.thegca.org/ they have a small magazine that you get and a forum also to help with questions,history and stuff about the Garand.

and it is a affiliate this is from the list of affiliates(Missouri) from the CMP site

Affiliate Information

Return to Clubs Home

Return to Club Search Page

Name:

Garand Collectors Association GCA

Range Location:

1912 Clay Street

PO Box 7498

N Kansas City, MO 64116 USA

Mailing Addr.:

1912 Clay Street

PO Box 7498

N Kansas City, MO 64116 USA

Range Phone:

Club Phone:

Club EMail:

URL:

www.thegca.org

Type of Organization:

National

Open Membership:

This club is accepting new members

you will most likely need a affiliated club ID card or mrmbership of some kind that you can Phptpcopy to send them you need the proof you belong..so its a good thing to get that membership(where ever you choose) in order before you try to order(as in like NOW lol)so then when you Do order all you need is a photocopy of your ID/memberhsip to drop in the packet...its not a hard thing but it DOES require some copying of stuff and some forethought so your ready to go when your ready to order.

also check out the CMP's forums they are mostly all old hands that have ordered MANY M1's and can help with any questions more specific than I can answer.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

countrygun
07-08-2012, 19:59
My Father did it to get an M-1 on the "WWII Memorial Fundraiser" project. Went really well and I am hopefully going to be eligible through participation in an Appleseed and joining the Club next month. I have enough Garands and Carbines (at the moment but....:whistling:) I am interested in ammo and other things.
(Ok, maybe just ONE more Garand)

Faulkner
07-08-2012, 20:46
I am a satisfied repeat customer of the CMP. In the past 15 years I've purchased six M1 rifles, two M1903's, and six M44US .22LR training rifles. I've also purchased various parts, supplies, and ammo through the CMP, and I've been very pleased.

Cam83
07-08-2012, 20:48
Our club the East KY sportsman's assc. is listed, but as mentioned IDPA is not recognized.

Now the Garand Collectors assc. looks to be interesting, as the Appleseed shoots have always tugged at my interests also.

Decguns
07-08-2012, 21:10
I got my first M1 from them back when they were the DCM and you could only get 1 rifle a lifetime. How times have changed. They're actually trying to get out of the surplus gun business, hence the massive increase in the number of rifles they allow you to buy every year (12 Garands), and the easy to please requirements to buy.

1 - You fill out the order form. 2 You get your signature notorized. 3 - Provide documents. You don't even need to join a club now days if you once served in the military or law enforcement or have an FFL.

I don't mess around with common makes like Springfield or Remington or Inland. At CMP prices, I stocked up on Winchesters, Rock Islands & Rock-ola's. Here's just a taste...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/worland/100_0823.jpg

CBennett
07-09-2012, 08:23
I got my first M1 from them back when they were the DCM and you could only get 1 rifle a lifetime. How times have changed. They're actually trying to get out of the surplus gun business, hence the massive increase in the number of rifles they allow you to buy every year (12 Garands), and the easy to please requirements to buy.

1 - You fill out the order form. 2 You get your signature notorized. 3 - Provide documents. You don't even need to join a club now days if you once served in the military or law enforcement or have an FFL.

I don't mess around with common makes like Springfield or Remington or Inland. At CMP prices, I stocked up on Winchesters, Rock Islands & Rock-ola's. Here's just a taste...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/worland/100_0823.jpg

Unfortunately unless you can go to one of the stores in which case you MAY be able to snag a SG Winchester and unless you get something off a private seller in the forums for sale ads off the CMP web site...the only thing you can actually ORDER anymore are Springfield and HRA(in SG or above) and add Winchester if you want a Rack or Field grade..

But for now for the good ones(SG and up) its ONLY HRA or Springfield.

This post was more for the OP so he didnt spend time on the CMP site looking for the more rare ones(Rock Islands & Rock-ola's) to order thinking they may be "hidden" somewhere cause they just are not there :) so no need to look lol. They dont list Winchesters on the web site anymore but guys HAVE had luck finding them in a store visit in the Service Grade condition.

I thought about making a trip but then after thinking 6 hours each way=Hotel+gas= around $200 so I thought would I pay $850 for a Service Grade($650+200) and thought you know what no I wouldnt..I balked at paying the extra $100 for a local and CMP web site "hand picked" SG(the seller was asking $750 firm)(from guys that DID make the trip bought several guns and got the best ones they could find..kept a few for themselves then sold the others for a profit)...

CourtCop
07-09-2012, 08:39
I bought a Correct Grade Springfield Armory a few years ago and have absolutely no complaints.
By the way, GSSF is an affiliated organization as well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

md2lgyk
07-09-2012, 10:53
I'm guessing that shooting IDPA would qualify as a recognized marksmanship program; along with an NRA membership, would this fill the needed criteria?

Could be wrong, but I believe you must be a member of a CMP-affiliated gun club.

There are exceptions to the paperwork requirements. If you are retired military (as I am), I was told all I had to include with my order is a photocopy of my retiree ID card.