How many woods carry....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many woods carry.......

Hogpauls
07-08-2012, 23:06
rounds do you roll up and keep on hand? Unlike plinking rounds these only see the inside of a magazine a fraction of the time a year. For the last couple years 40 rounds, enough for 2 15 rd mags with arredondo extensions have seemed fine.

This year I decided to shoot 'em up and darned if I didn't loose my data. Time to work up all over again, but this time I'm gonna mix in some tests with different primers and maybe some penetration tests.

Any Cal.
07-09-2012, 01:43
My plinking loads and woods carry rounds are about the same. I could add another 80fps to them, but they work pretty well right now, I hate to change anything...

dm1906
07-09-2012, 09:01
If you test some and are pleased with your results, disassemble one. Identify and weigh the powder. Work your new loads up to that.

I used to keep a hand written load journal. For a few years now, everything gets logged on my PDA, which gets sync'd to my PC. Load data and test results/conditions. You can do the same with an iPhone, etc. (there's an app for that). An added bonus is, a little gust of wind will blow your post-it note across the range, but won't your phone (hopefully).

Hogpauls
07-09-2012, 12:46
If you test some and are pleased with your results, disassemble one. Identify and weigh the powder. Work your new loads up to that.

I used to keep a hand written load journal. For a few years now, everything gets logged on my PDA, which gets sync'd to my PC. Load data and test results/conditions. You can do the same with an iPhone, etc. (there's an app for that). An added bonus is, a little gust of wind will blow your post-it note across the range, but won't your phone (hopefully).

Unfortunately all the rounds I had are shot up. I know what components I used, just not the charge. Mixed blessing I guess cause half the fun is working up and testing.

Since I got a smart phone all my reloading info is getting logged into it and synced to the pc. It only took my 11 year old to show me how. :whistling:

dm1906
07-09-2012, 13:42
Unfortunately all the rounds I had are shot up. I know what components I used, just not the charge. Mixed blessing I guess cause half the fun is working up and testing.

Since I got a smart phone all my reloading info is getting logged into it and synced to the pc. It only took my 11 year old to show me how. :whistling:

You're right. Start over, if for no other reason, than just the fun of it. And, good on the youngster!

Go Broncos! (I'm surrounded by Bulldog fans....)

Taterhead
07-09-2012, 19:53
I typically keep at least 2 mags worth of my woods loads and shoot the rest. I have been procrastinating a bullet order that I desparately need to make to replenish the stocks. At the moment, I have only enough of my preferred woods load for one mag, so I have been backing it up with a mag of 200 gr XTPs.

Hogpauls
07-09-2012, 20:03
I typically keep at least 2 mags worth of my woods loads and shoot the rest. I have been procrastinating a bullet order that I desparately need to make to replenish the stocks. At the moment, I have only enough of my preferred woods load for one mag, so I have been backing it up with a mag of 200 gr XTPs.

Sounds familiar. 200gr. XTPs coming in tomorrow and kickin' around ordering some more hard cast.

Heading up to Bull Trout Lake and Grand Jean next week, I think some hot XTPs will take care of any kittys roaming about.

rayetter
07-09-2012, 20:21
Usually tote a 4" GP100, 140 gr. Hornady FTX in one speedloader, one other speedloader with 158 gr. HB wadcutter, revolver loaded with the same wadcutters. The FTX seems to do a better job on hogs at further distance, the wadcutters work on snakes well, havent had to use them for defense against bad dogs or anything, but they are fun and cheap to load up and shoot at things floating down the creek or just kickin around the woods.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

edhead35
07-10-2012, 06:24
What app do you guys use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hogpauls
07-10-2012, 09:57
What app do you guys use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm just using an excel spreadsheet downloaded onto the phone.

smokeross
07-10-2012, 10:07
Plinking rounds? What are those? Everything I roll here is a full house load. No Frances loads for my guns, if that's what you mean by plinkers.

Hogpauls
07-10-2012, 20:58
Plinking rounds? What are those? Everything I roll here is a full house load. No Frances loads for my guns, if that's what you mean by plinkers.

Yes plinkers = Frances Loads :rofl::rofl:
My plinkers are somewhere in between the watered down store variety and full house. They are much more pleasant than the case stuffed with 800x under a fat 200 grainer.

drew02a
07-10-2012, 21:54
I keep about one box worth of anything I want to use for specific purpose (woods, carry, plink) That way I don't have to make them special for a trip. They're just ready to go.

Also, I have a reloading log in Google Docs where I keep track of every round I make and how it performed. Comes in handy, because there's no way I could just remember it all.

c01
07-10-2012, 22:02
About 100 180 gr xtps for my 357. It's my hunting/woods load. Oops....this is the 10mm section....moving on..sorry.

D

Brian Lee
07-11-2012, 13:14
I always keep a full box on hand, so I won't be totally out if I suddenly decide to shoot through a couple mags.

nickE10mm
07-15-2012, 09:44
I have little labels on several of my plastic ammo boxes. RANGE/TARGET, FIELD LOADS, DEFENSE, HUNTING. I "top off each box regularly but for the most part I load em and leave em for when I need them and shoot RANGE/TARGET most of the time for practice. For my HUNTIG box, its typicall full of WFNGC and heavy XTP's ... Half and half. Ill usually shoot 50-100 of my hunting load the same week or season opener that isn't part of my HUNTING box as the box ammo is for the field.