Handheld flashlight options [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handheld flashlight options

cliffsta
07-08-2012, 23:14
Not looking to break the bank (The gun, holster, extra mags, mag holder, ammo and NRA membership already did that....) but I desire a small handheld flashlight to complement my G22 I just purchased. I prefer to NOT have a weapon-mounted light for several reasons, chiefly, everywhere my light is pointed, my muzzle is pointed.

I have the good old-fashioned 12" Maglight but its pretty unwieldy in combination with my gun (using the FBI and Harries techniques) though it works for now (and its a great melee weapon, too) I have a dollar-store special LED light in my car but its not what I want to use in conjunction with home/self defense.

Looking at the TL-2 by Streamlight its around $75 or so. Is this what I'm going to have to spend on a handheld LED tactical-style flashlight? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Cliff

unit1069
07-08-2012, 23:19
MidwayUSA occasionally has clearance sales on lights, and I bought a Surefire G-3 for $30 a couple of years ago. It puts out a strong beam that would blind an assailant. It uses the Lithium batteries but I've still got the original ones that came with it and they're still going strong. Excellent for outdoors and illuminating dark areas.

I also have a small LINK carabiner light that has a lesser beam but is smaller in size. It takes one AA battery and in more than a year I've only replaced the battery once even though I take it with me on my nightly walks. It has a high and low beam with easy on/off options. It sells in the $17-$20 range.

From reading various threads it seems there are a lot of good choices in lights available.

Butcher
07-08-2012, 23:33
Fenix. Can't go wrong. I carry a TK21 as my primary light, TK15 as a backup, and a spare battery. I end up loaning my backup to my partner more than having to use it in case of failure of the primary lol (it never fails!). Also I use a PD30 off duty.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Butcher
07-08-2012, 23:35
Oh sorry, check Amazon for decent prices on most tactical lights. Especially if you are a prime member and get free 2-day shipping

Three-Five-Seven
07-08-2012, 23:37
Fenix is what you desire.

janice6
07-08-2012, 23:55
200 Lumen Led array, single AA cell. Focus from about 10 foot square at 150/200 feet, to general flood. $7 off ebay, free shipping. I have 4. Fantastic.

I just received a 3800 Lumen flashlight W/Led Array. Uses two or three (choice for battery life) from 18650 Lithium rechargables (5 A Hr). Three functions, low, high, strobe output. Comes with 3 batteries and charger.

$46. Free shipping from NJ.

Your hand can feel the heat in the beam. The third battery is removable along with the adapter to shorten the light length.

Short of a laser, it's great.

Very good lights out there.

NoShow
07-09-2012, 00:08
Goinggear.com

Batteryjunction.com

Both have lots of lights. Fenix is a great brand. I carry a LD10 daily. Takes one double a battery and does 140 lumens. These are real lumens not this fake crap off eBay. Eagletac is another great brand along with Olight.

Bruce M
07-09-2012, 06:17
If one shops around for around $30 one can find a Fenix or Olight that will is rated for 100 lumens or more that will be as or nearly as bright as a Maglight.

PEC-Memphis
07-09-2012, 09:07
I have a Streamlight TL-2, Insight H2X, Surefire (single mode LED - cant remember the model), several Maglight LEDs and assorted Princeton Tec headlights.....

.... but by far the handiest, most used, flashlight that I own is a ~$24 Streamlight Stylus Pro.

Arc Angel
07-09-2012, 09:38
When I walk the farm at night I actually rely on my handheld tac light to keep me safe. I use a Fenix TK-11. It is one of the best handheld lights in the world, today; AND it doesn't cost a fortune. (Very well made, too!)

Because I'm often alone I, also, prefer to use a handheld tac light, and do NOT want my muzzle and the light to always be pointing in the same direction. Here's a, 'killer tac light' that I consider to be state-of-the-art; (and, again, it doesn't cost a fortune!)

Amazon.com: Fenix TK21 468 Lumens LED Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fgtgATynL.@@AMEPARAM@@31fgtgATynL

Lior
07-09-2012, 10:39
My Surefire Aviator A2 has been giving me a decade of excellent service. Three LEDs for general orientation and a Xenon for high power - very effective in stopping dog attacks during nighttime cross country runs.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-09-2012, 12:42
I was up to about 30 LED lights recently - sold a few as my "collection" just sorta sat there, with me just using about 5 of them regularly.

For every day carry, my two favorites are the Eagletac P20C2 MK II, and the slightly larger T20C2 MK II.

I own many Eagletac lights, including two T20's. What I like is that as new tech comes out - you just change out the LED module for around $28 - you needn't buy an entirely new light.

T20C2 MKII is here: http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html - The newest version is the XM-L U2 COOL - 770 Lumen (at emitter)/620 actual out the front lumens for $89.99

P20C2 MK II is here: http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26950.html - The XM-L T6 High COOL version is 720 Lumen (at emitter)/524 actual out the front lumens for $73.99.

The P20 is a little more pocket friendly - slightly smaller reflector. AWESOME amount of flood. The T20 throws a bit further.

mwcky2204
07-09-2012, 13:11
I just received a 3800 Lumen flashlight W/Led Array. Uses two or three (choice for battery life) from 18650 Lithium rechargables (5 A Hr). Three functions, low, high, strobe output. Comes with 3 batteries and charger.

$46. Free shipping from NJ.

any more info on this 3800 lumen flashlight?

Linky?

bikerdog
07-09-2012, 13:27
Ill throw in another vote for fenix. I own 3 of then and they are great. For edc the pd32 is awesome.

collim1
07-09-2012, 16:55
Surefure G2's go on sale cheap if you keep an eye out. I much prefer the incandescant to the LED for a tac light, but if it will double as a task light the LED saves batteries.

I personally carry a E2E daily, it is a great light, but is significantly more expensive than the G2 or 6P.

I have a a couple 6P's and G2's and they are a great value for the money.

cliffsta
07-09-2012, 22:44
Well I sprung for the Fenix E11 for $26 shipped via Amazon

I figure, if it doesn't do what I want handheld in conjunction with the G22, then it'll be a great nightstand flashlight when I don't feel like lugging around the 4D MagLite. :workout:

Plus in Louisiana, you can never have enough flashlights...

:picard:

janice6
07-09-2012, 22:52
any more info on this 3800 lumen flashlight?

Linky?

Sure:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=68a069f0b710402fb78a7be992f10970&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D190690968876%26ssPageName%3DA DME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160

I'm using it for a couple of days now and it is AMAZING. Don't know how long the batteries last but the ad says 4 hours.

One ad I read said to not look into the beam (up close) will cause eye injury. At a few feet it is safe, but astoundingly bright even at a few hundred feet. Really built well.

carbuncle
07-09-2012, 23:25
Not looking to break the bank (The gun, holster, extra mags, mag holder, ammo and NRA membership already did that....) but I desire a small handheld flashlight to complement my G22 I just purchased. I prefer to NOT have a weapon-mounted light for several reasons, chiefly, everywhere my light is pointed, my muzzle is pointed.

I have the good old-fashioned 12" Maglight but its pretty unwieldy in combination with my gun (using the FBI and Harries techniques) though it works for now (and its a great melee weapon, too) I have a dollar-store special LED light in my car but its not what I want to use in conjunction with home/self defense.

Looking at the TL-2 by Streamlight its around $75 or so. Is this what I'm going to have to spend on a handheld LED tactical-style flashlight? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Cliff

My streamlight ProTac 1 was about 40 bucks shipped, and it's pretty much equal to my Surefire 6P LED but more versatile.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

EL COLONEL
07-10-2012, 04:00
If that doesn't work try the surefire fury ......:steamed:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-10-2012, 05:29
Sure:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=68a069f0b710402fb78a7be992f10970&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D190690968876%26ssPageName%3DA DME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160

I'm using it for a couple of days now and it is AMAZING. Don't know how long the batteries last but the ad says 4 hours.

One ad I read said to not look into the beam (up close) will cause eye injury. At a few feet it is safe, but astoundingly bright even at a few hundred feet. Really built well.

Just so you know, Trustfire is well known for over estimating their lumens.

I can say that the Trustfire is putting out 1000 lumens max, and my best guess is that its about 800-850 actual out the front lumens.

Don't get me wrong - that is a lot of light, and I have a Jetbeam that is around that light output range. I LOVE the output of my jetbeam. VERY bright, and not that huge.

But I also have a 2200 lumen Fenix TK70. The light is HUGE. It's well known to be one of the brightest LEDs out there, and actually puts out 2200 lumens (has 3 LEDS to do it). There is no way you are getting 3800 out of the Trustfire

byf43
07-10-2012, 05:45
Last year, while perusing the aisles at Tractor Supply, I found a small 2-"C" cell LED flashlight, that is the brightest freakin' flashlight!!!!!
Granted, the batteries were some knock-off (made overseas) cheap POS, but, this light is BRIGHT!

I wound up buying 6 of 'em, at $10.00 apiece!

A couple of my hunting friends were impressed with the light, when I lit up the side of a tobacco barn, from 75 yards away!

The batteries lasted 3 months in one light, that I use every evening. Duracell(s) are residing in this light, now.

tango44
07-10-2012, 10:39
Fenix TK11 does the trick for me!

janice6
07-10-2012, 10:41
Just so you know, Trustfire is well known for over estimating their lumens.

I can say that the Trustfire is putting out 1000 lumens max, and my best guess is that its about 800-850 actual out the front lumens.

Don't get me wrong - that is a lot of light, and I have a Jetbeam that is around that light output range. I LOVE the output of my jetbeam. VERY bright, and not that huge.

But I also have a 2200 lumen Fenix TK70. The light is HUGE. It's well known to be one of the brightest LEDs out there, and actually puts out 2200 lumens (has 3 LEDS to do it). There is no way you are getting 3800 out of the Trustfire

I'm sure you are the optics expert.

The light uses an array of 3 Cree led arrays to get the output.

I'm not claiming that I have measured the intensity, but you have neither, and you say you are working from a "guess".

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-10-2012, 13:05
I'm sure you are the optics expert.

The light uses an array of 3 Cree led arrays to get the output.

I'm not claiming that I have measured the intensity, but you have neither, and you say you are working from a "guess".

3800 lumens ain't happening from that light. Go ask at Candle Power Forum if you like - the flashlight LED forum.

I collect LEDs and have been up to about 30 recently. Do lot of reading too. No way that light is much more than 1000 lumens max.

janice6
07-10-2012, 13:15
3800 lumens ain't happening from that light. Go ask at Candle Power Forum if you like - the flashlight LED forum.

I collect LEDs and have been up to about 30 recently. Do lot of reading too. No way that light is much more than 1000 lumens max.

I never claimed it produced 3800 Lumen just posted the ad for you to check.

As far as your credentials:

I am retired from 40 years in Physics Research for Lockheed Martin. I have some patents in optics that I didn't get on a forum for flashlights.

If you have measurementsd to back up your claim that this flashlight is not a "good deal" I would like to see them.

Otherwise, my guess is as good as yours.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-10-2012, 13:31
I'm not trying to get into an argument with you.

Unless the light lists the OTF (out the front rating) (ANSI rating), it is WIDELY known that lumen numbers are over stated for many brands... Trustfire being known as one of the biggest guilty parties...... Typically, the theoretical maximum at the emitter level for the first fraction of a second, on new batteries... And even then, many lights over estimate that number. One also typically loses 20-25% of the lumens as its being directed out of the reflector.

As for that forum - the guys there are hard core - measuring voltages, output, building their own lights, modding their own lights, etc. Any flashlight nut knows that Candlepower forum is the place to be for flashlights.

At this point, all I'll say is whatever.... Also, I did come across some posts there about the low quality fake Ultrafire 18650s batteries (sold on ebay) not being made well and exploding. So, be careful.

janice6
07-10-2012, 13:39
I'm not trying to get into an argument with your.

Unless the light lists the OTF (out the front rating) (ANSI rating), it is WIDELY known that lumen numbers are over stated for many brands... Trustfire being known as one of the biggest guilty parties...... Typically, the theoretical maximum at the emitter level for the first fraction of a second, on new batteries... And even then, many lights over estimate that number. One also typically loses 20-25% of the lumens as its being directed out of the reflector.

As for that forum - the guys there are hard core - measuring voltages, output, building their own lights, modding their own lights, etc. Any flashlight nut knows that Candlepower forum is the place to be for flashlights.

At this point, all I'll say is whatever.... Also, I did come across some posts there about the low quality fake Ultrafire 18650s batteries not being made well and exploding. So, be careful.

I am only interested in answering the OP by offering him/her with an option fitting their requirements.

I'm also quite sure that flashlight/LED hobbyists are a good group.

Thank you for your concern about the batteries. I have, however, replaced them already with 5 Amp Hour Lithium Rechargeables. (16850 type), and for informing me about how to make optical measurements.

wjv
07-10-2012, 14:18
iTp SA2
JetBeam BA20
MagLite XL100

GEN3
07-10-2012, 17:38
I just got a fenix PD30 and really like it.

ted1
07-10-2012, 17:59
Definitely fenix I have the ld20 it is awesome $55 bucks on Amazon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR