Specific J-Frame Recommended for CCW/BUG? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Specific J-Frame Recommended for CCW/BUG?

ViennaGambit
07-08-2012, 23:33
Dear Mas,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your advice and experiences in this section - it is a goldmine of information.

As for my question: is there a specific model J-Frame that you particularly recommend over others for a CCW/BUG?

Is an enclosed hammer, as in the 642/442, the absolute way to go or can a suitable argument be made for the shrouded 638 variant? I assume an exposed hammer is the least favorable...

Should the S&W internal lock be a guiding concern?

Thank you in advance.
-Harry

Mas Ayoob
07-09-2012, 06:17
Arguments can be made for all three variants. Personally, I go with the Centennial ("hammerless") style. I can get the hand higher on the grip tang, lowering muzzle angle and giving me more leverage to control muzzle jump in rapid fire. Having seen people falsely accused of negligently cocking their guns and creating a hair trigger effect, I like a gun whose design keeps that false accusation off the table entirely.

Personal choice: 340 M&P, mainly because it has the best sights S&W ever put on a J-frame.

There have been some documented instances of the lock spontaneously engaging, usually with very light guns firing very powerful ammunition. With +P in the 340 M&P I don't worry about it; with .357, I just might. I personally see no need for the internal lock on these guns.

YMMV,
Mas

Mas Ayoob
07-09-2012, 08:32
An additional point in favor of the Centennial style, from my old friend Grant Cunningham, the wheelgun expert:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/822bc116dc3ccb2a895e8046dd3e1444-117.html

Thanks to correspondent Dan for the reminder,
Mas

ViennaGambit
07-10-2012, 00:40
Thank you Mas for the prompt response and information - greatly appreciated.

Best,
-Harry