Hug+CCW=Hugger dead by AD?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hug+CCW=Hugger dead by AD??

Bilbo Bagins
07-09-2012, 12:01
Can anyone explain to me how this can happen?

Unless the off duty officer was carrying a WWII era Japanese Type 94 pistol I can see how this is possible.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120709/D9VT4VMO2.html

magman687
07-09-2012, 12:04
That's very sad and very odd

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dnuggett
07-09-2012, 12:33
Had to have been carrying in a shoulder rig with the trigger exposed. Or there is more to the story.

Jim Watson
07-09-2012, 12:35
From another account, the decedent "hugged" the LEO from behind while he was dancing with his wife.
Hmm.

CBennett
07-09-2012, 12:38
very strange and sad :(

Nakanokalronin
07-09-2012, 12:50
Had to be a vertical should holster ,but they still cover the trigger guard unless it was some cheap knock-off made in a 3rd world country. No way the gun just "went off".

Not enough of the story and not enough facts to know exactly what happened, but it will be enough for some to point out as a reason for carrying C3 on this site and anti gunners to push for bans..... I guarantee it. No need for facts ,just emotion.

ETA: I just found the same story with the same amount of text on other news sites.Many comments talk about cocked and locked with the safety off as a possibility. When I first got into 1911s, I carried a cocked and locked unloaded 1911 around just to see if it would go off. I bumped it into all sorts of things, jogged with it, rolled on the ground with it and even threw it on a rugged hardwood floor a few time while it spun frantically in the air and it never went off.

Nine Shooter
07-09-2012, 15:03
I read somewhere else that it was tucked in his waistband. It just doesn't seem physcially possible. The weapon description made it sounds like a S&W M&P .40 of some kind.

Yankee2718
07-09-2012, 16:14
That's what happens when you hug random people from behind. While perhaps the officer may be partially to blame for not having his weapon in a proper holster, secured properly, or for carrying an unsafe weapon (whatever that part turns out to be), this is also partly the young lady's fault. I'm not trying to be ugly, but it is not advisable to hug random strangers from behind. People need to be accountable for their actions. Trying to blame the officer is just plain wrong. He probably isn't lily white, but this is not all his fault. (If this actually went down the way the news is saying it did. The news, as we all know, is normally only reporting 5% fact, 95% rumor/bull****.)

awpk03s
07-09-2012, 17:20
It had to be a shoulder rig setup. In waistband... for it to hit her torso, he would have to be about 18-36" taller than her.

It's all very sad and unfortunate, but somewhere here some serious safety violations occurred. Either a holster that did not cover the trigger, or a holster that was not made for and thus did not fit the gun it was carrying. Either way, a booger hooker was on the bang switch and that's an unacceptable safety mistake.

racer88
07-09-2012, 17:24
Yeah... I'm calling BS on the the story (even with the lack of details). Dude shot the woman... accidentally or on purpose. I'm not buying a hug fired a round. No way, no way, no way. But, the news media and public eat up these "gun just went off" stories. So, to them, it's plausible.

CanMan
07-09-2012, 17:34
Yeah... I'm calling BS on the the story. But the news media and public eat up these "gun just went off" stories. So, to them, it's plausible.

^
This!

WoodenPlank
07-09-2012, 18:18
Yep, I smell a large quantity of bovine excrement on this one...

Soonerbldr
07-09-2012, 18:51
Just in time for the UN Gun vote coming up. I am sure the Libs will stir this all up just like the kid in Florida...