Got myself a little pickle here. Advice welcome [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a little pickle here. Advice welcome

Phillip_Rios
07-10-2012, 09:19
So I recently bought a Mosin Nagant that was previously drilled and tapped then decomissioned. I had the intention of getting an original styled scope mount and a more modern scope put on it, but I wondered if I should just buy a Marlin 1895 GBL for this reason: I'm planning two hunting trips, one in CO for elk/deer, and another in Missoula Montana for bear. Would the Mosin suite me just as well as a Marlin 1895 GBL, even though the bolt is sticky as honey and it's longer than my little sister?

G36's Rule
07-10-2012, 09:32
The Marlin will make an excellent rifle for just about any hunting at less than 100 yards. Modern ammo can make it a real thumper.

The Mosin is a history piece, and should be left as such. It sucks bad for anything else.

Phillip_Rios
07-10-2012, 09:34
That's what I was worried about. What are my chances at selling the Mosin to help pay for the Marlin? Mosins only really go for $100 these days, and I feel like all I bought was a conversation piece.

ronin.45
07-10-2012, 10:24
What did you pay for a decommissioned Mosin?

The Marlin is a much nicer gun.

Decguns
07-10-2012, 10:42
I would lean towards the Marlin for a hunting rifle. I always take two rifles with me on any hunt. I've used M91/30's for hunting with both open sights and a LER scope on a no-gunsmithing mount. The Russian 203gr soft point load has worked well on elk for me. I see the Sportsmansguide has a scope & mount package for the Mosin @ $70. Add a couple of $10 boxes of Brown Bear soft point ammo, and you're good to go.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/aim-sports-mosin-nagant-kit.aspx?a=916756&e=Y

Phillip_Rios
07-10-2012, 10:54
I paid $150+tax for the Mosin, and a few weeks later I brought it back to take in some advice on why the bolt was sticky, ways to get the cosmoline off, and the guys looked closer and were surprised that they didn't notice it was decomissioned when they had it in their possession. They offered to buy it back, but I was too excited when I heard the news, and I opted to keep it. Now I wish I had sold it back to them, and gotten something a little more practical and modern.

whmaxwell
07-10-2012, 11:02
The Mosin is a great gun, fun to shoot and worth hanging onto. I would recommend a Marlin for hunting. I picked up a 336cs for around 250 (used, of course). Mine was 35rem but you can get a nice 30/30 for around the same.

Berto
07-10-2012, 14:24
Would you end up scoping the Marlin?

If not, just use the Mosin and some quality ammo...it's just as capable.
Mojo and a few other companies also offer a good peep sight that would really benefit the Mosin and open up your range a bit with that gun.

07-10-2012, 14:48
I paid $150+tax for the Mosin, and a few weeks later I brought it back to take in some advice on why the bolt was sticky, ways to get the cosmoline off, and the guys looked closer and were surprised that they didn't notice it was decomissioned when they had it in their possession. They offered to buy it back, but I was too excited when I heard the news, and I opted to keep it. Now I wish I had sold it back to them, and gotten something a little more practical and modern.

For a decommissioned/wall hanger Mosin, you'd be lucky to get $50 for it. Your best bet is to part it out - you probably won't get close to your original purchase price, though.

The gunshop unknowingly selling a decommissioned weapon to an unsuspecting buyer should be a lesson to us all to field strip and give it a once over before firing a new to us firearm.

dnuggett
07-10-2012, 20:22
That's what I was worried about. What are my chances at selling the Mosin to help pay for the Marlin? Mosins only really go for $100 these days, and I feel like all I bought was a conversation piece.

And they are available all over the place in working order. Live and learn on this one...

vafish
07-11-2012, 05:46
I think you would be better off with an inexpensive bolt action in .30-06, .308, or .270.

Even with some glass on it will be cheaper then the marlin.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bruce M
07-11-2012, 06:06
I agree that you can probably find a bolt action for less than the Marlin and perhaps a used bolt action might be an even better deal.

m2hmghb
07-11-2012, 07:13
Are you saying it is decommissioned as in not fireable or a previous sniper rifle? If it's a previous sniper rifle they are typically the more accurate mosins but the problem is they often are not in the original stocks so problems can arise from that. In addition to scope one requires the correct base(PE or PU depending on the type) and a correct scope. All told you'd be looking at 300-500 for just the mount and scope not including labor to remove the old screws(which isn't that difficult). If it were me I'd keep the mosin for a project piece later on and get the marlin for now.

Phillip_Rios
07-11-2012, 13:16
It was a previous sniper rifle. I'll probably just stash it away and buy a newer rifle for hunting. I didn't intend to hunt with the Mosin, but thought it'd be possible if I fixed it up.

m2hmghb
07-11-2012, 13:21
It was a previous sniper rifle. I'll probably just stash it away and buy a newer rifle for hunting. I didn't intend to hunt with the Mosin, but thought it'd be possible if I fixed it up.

If you don't mind iron sights it's good for hunting. There is also a rear aperture sight that replaces the issued one, I believe it's called a Mojo sight. There is also a scope mount that replaces the rear sight as well, but that can be a bit more problematic and it requires a "scout" scope, pistol scope, or a red dot scope. If you use the original PU/PE mount or a modern mount on the receiver you will need to bend the bolt.