Would you tell a CCW stranger he is printing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would you tell a CCW stranger he is printing?

norton
07-10-2012, 20:13
I was shopping at a local big box hardware chain when I noticed a man standing in front of me wearing a holster with a clip fastened to the back of his pants. His shirt was tucked in and the weapon was plainly visible. Would you say something to a stranger who was doing this, or who obviously was "printing"?
BTW, the guy in question was much too old to be an active duty police officer.

dnuggett
07-10-2012, 20:17
Maybe. Depends on how I read the person and if I could do it discretely.

ted1
07-10-2012, 20:18
No I would not just because he is ccw does not mean he is doing so legally. I have a couple of shirts that print a little I don't worry about it to much because 99.9% of the sheepel in this country are to busy on there cell phones and other devices to notice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

norton
07-10-2012, 20:18
I just looked up Indiana Law on CC, and apparently it is not illegal to carry exposed-of course if you have a permit.

dkf
07-10-2012, 20:19
No. Its none of business and OC is legal in my state.

CBennett
07-10-2012, 20:31
no.....

Glockdude1
07-10-2012, 20:36
IS THAT A GUN YOUR CARRYING?!?!?

Just kidding!!!! :tongueout:

Metal Angel
07-10-2012, 20:55
Oh my god!!! He's got a gun!!! Run!!!

janice6
07-10-2012, 21:14
NO. I'm not a cop and I don't police others.

Wil Ufgood
07-10-2012, 21:20
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/28/25b464cf-e05f-4494-b8f1-0e85f2a237bd.jpg

RustyShackelford
07-10-2012, 21:24
I was shopping at a local big box hardware chain when I noticed a man standing in front of me wearing a holster with a clip fastened to the back of his pants. His shirt was tucked in and the weapon was plainly visible. Would you say something to a stranger who was doing this, or who obviously was "printing"?

I just looked up Indiana Law on CC, and apparently it is not illegal to carry exposed-of course if you have a permit.

Indiana resident here. I would not mention it to someone in this locality. In Florida, where I also spend time (and is, last I checked, a required concealed-carry state) I would maybe mention it. Depending on mood and the persona involved.

fnfalman
07-10-2012, 21:27
Just don't hug him from behind.

cowboy1964
07-10-2012, 21:28
I'd like to point out that partially exposed is NOT the same as OC. OC typically requires that no part of the weapon be concealed.

Obviously this varies state-to-state but I wanted to bring that up.

arclight610
07-10-2012, 21:43
Just blade away.

smokeross
07-10-2012, 22:29
XYG. Kind of like XYZ. Examine your zipper. Examine your Glock/Gun. No I wouldn't tell him, and I don't care if I'm 'printing'. Kinda hard to cover a full size Glock or Walther P99. I see people checking it out sometimes. Couldn't care less.

wmodavis
07-10-2012, 22:59
I'd like to point out that partially exposed is NOT the same as OC. OC typically requires that no part of the weapon be concealed.

Uhhh! Can't put it in a holster? If you do part is concealed.

rednoved
07-10-2012, 23:01
Meh. It would probably depend on the person. Most likely not.

The question I'd ask myself first is, would I wan't someone to tell me? What would your first response be to someone pointing it out to you. Would you say, "Thanks boss, I guess I'd better adjust my cant..." or would you yell, "LEAVE ME ALONE, I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN!" :supergrin:

sharpshooter
07-10-2012, 23:42
XYG. Kind of like XYZ. Examine your zipper. Examine your Glock/Gun. No I wouldn't tell him, and I don't care if I'm 'printing'. Kinda hard to cover a full size Glock or Walther P99. I see people checking it out sometimes. Couldn't care less.
There are plenty of people with your attitude and they're not helping other ccw'ers. I know a guy just like that. He "refuses to compromise" on size so he carries a full size 45, but he makes minimal effort to conceal it. T shirts that are too short and too small, shirts that ride up, and he refuses to tuck in his boy scout uniform shirt because it hangs out and hides his gun. I showed him my tuckable IWB holster but he has no interest. I suggested he carry a smaller gun just for scout meetings, shove it in a front pocket or cargo pocket, nope. It's like he enjoys printing and exposing his holster/gun just for kicks. Always has a new story about how somebody saw his gun. Problem is, he gives the rest of is a bad image. It's irresponsable. He doesn't care. The kind of guy that shoots a LOT but isn't very good, sends 10x more lead down range than me but I can outshoot him with ANY gun including my subcompact 38/9mm/40 carry guns.

Lior
07-10-2012, 23:57
Nope. Personal comments to strangers are a bad idea IMO.

NeverMore1701
07-11-2012, 00:54
Not my problem.

GlockFish
07-11-2012, 01:04
I mind my own business.

E-2-E
07-11-2012, 04:05
no.....

NO. I'm not a cop and I don't police others.

Nope. Personal comments to strangers are a bad idea IMO.

Not my problem.

I mind my own business.

^^^^^^^^^

vafish
07-11-2012, 05:34
I was shopping at a local big box hardware chain when I noticed a man standing in front of me wearing a holster with a clip fastened to the back of his pants. His shirt was tucked in and the weapon was plainly visible....

That's not printing, that's open carry.

No reason to say anything.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

vafish
07-11-2012, 05:38

Obviously this varies state-to-state but I wanted to bring that up.

Not here in VA.

A gun is concealed when it is hidden from common observation. If you can look at it and know it is a gun it is not concealed. Iwb with just the but sticking out is open carry.

Bob Hafler
07-11-2012, 06:07
None of my business and not my problem. I do not worry about printing so long as the gun is out of site. Most people will not even notice a lump in a shirt. Those who do notice won't automatically jump to the conclusion it's a gun.

M2 Carbine
07-11-2012, 06:09
Would you tell a CCW stranger he is printing?
I probably would.

FLglockdude
07-11-2012, 06:21
It depends. If it's just printing under a shirt, no. But if a shirt rode up over the gun and it was exposed, probably.

concretefuzzynuts
07-11-2012, 06:31
None of my business but I am keeping an eye on that guy until he or I leave.

SIGMA 40
07-11-2012, 06:32
I was at a birthday party once and noticed a guy was printing pretty bad...i didnt say anything until he reached for a pop and the gun was fully exposed...At that point, I strolled over and calmly whispered "hey, you may want to adjust your shirt on the right side." He appreciated the heads up and life went on. That was a different environment than a store but the fact remains, if he is printing, no biggie, most non carriers wont notice. If its exposed, a polite heads up will be given.

Hour13
07-11-2012, 06:38
I wouldn't, but accidental "printing" or accidental exposure is not an issue here in Texas. Key word being accidental. If you tuck a Desert Eagle into spandex bicycle shorts and throw on a tight wife-beater... you're clearly an ass-hat, and deserve whatever flak comes your way.

I wouldn't bother for printing, but even though it's not illegal either, if a CC'er is nearby, and his shirt rode up or whatever, I'd probably try to find a discreet way to let him/her know. An exposed gun is a grab-able gun, and I'd feel awful if I didn't at least try to help prevent that.

If you look like an ass-hat though... again, you're on your own.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/yes-I-am-carrying-a-concealed-handgun-shirt.jpg
:animlol:

SigFTW
07-11-2012, 06:51
You flash him your concealed carry badge and take him to the side and give him a good talking to about proper CC!!!! :tongueout: j/k

Seriously, I had a lady at a restaurant alert me that the butt of my gun was exposed, my shirt got hung up and exposed the butt without me knowing. The lady was very nice and said she dated a cop so she was familiar with concealed carry. I thanked her for prompting me, even though I think most would have not known or seen it sticking out. However, I was thankful for a considered person.

So, I would say something to the guy if it could be said without other hearing, just so he know how visible it was.

m2hmghb
07-11-2012, 06:58
In the PRNJ we don't have CCW but I have seen cops carrying IWB or OWB without a cover garment in plainclothes. I typically strike up a conversation with them asking which gun they're carrying, and hint they might not want to let it be known they're armed.

Bruce M
07-11-2012, 07:17
Printing I would not bother but if the gun appeared to be accidentally exposed then I would mention it.

ChicagoZman
07-11-2012, 07:43
Why would you feel the need to address a stranger about their totally legal behavior?

Arc Angel
07-11-2012, 08:07
I was shopping at a local big box hardware chain when I noticed a man standing in front of me wearing a holster with a clip fastened to the back of his pants. His shirt was tucked in and the weapon was plainly visible. Would you say something to a stranger who was doing this, or who obviously was "printing"? BTW, the guy in question was much too old to be an active duty police officer.

No, not in Pennsylvania I wouldn't. I'd just keep an eye on him, instead. Last week we went to Wal-Mart. I didn't feel like dragging my ancient bones around the store; so I told my wife I'd wait for her and sat down in a chair by the main entrance doors.

While I'm sitting there, almost asleep, a man and his family come walking by. The guy suddenly stops, turns around, and comes back to give me a real good looking over. He puts his hand to his chin and asks, 'Are you packing?' I looked right. I looked left. Then I raise my index (trigger) finger to my lips and replied, 'Shhhh .... !' His eyes get real large and he says, 'Holy smokes!' 'Wal-Mart security is packing, now.' I just winked at him. (Bet he won't shop lift anymore!) ;)

IllinoisGun
07-11-2012, 09:34
I can scarcely find a reason why I would want to inform a guy if he's printing. Probably because I wouldn't want anyone telling me the same.

I've nosey eyes, but my lips are almost always sealed in public and I expect the same from others.

CajunBass
07-11-2012, 09:53
Why would I care?

ZO6Vettever
07-11-2012, 09:53
No, unless it was a "reached up and shirt caught it" and was now fully exposed, then maybe. If just printing, I'm pretty sure he knows it and doesn't care. That guy could be me. I started carrying my G30 OWB and it prints but it's also comfortable and not illegal in Florida to print.

Bren
07-11-2012, 10:09

Maybe he was OCing? Maybe he just didn't care. Personally, I'd probably just stay out of his business unless I had good reason to believe it was acccidental and he'd wnat to know.

glock2740
07-11-2012, 10:22
No I would not just because he is ccw does not mean he is doing so legally. I have a couple of shirts that print a little I don't worry about it to much because 99.9% of the sheepel in this country are to busy on there cell phones and other devices to notice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I couldn't have said that any better myself. Great post.

smokeross
07-11-2012, 11:43
There are plenty of people with your attitude and they're not helping other ccw'ers. I know a guy just like that. He "refuses to compromise" on size so he carries a full size 45, but he makes minimal effort to conceal it. T shirts that are too short and too small, shirts that ride up, and he refuses to tuck in his boy scout uniform shirt because it hangs out and hides his gun. I showed him my tuckable IWB holster but he has no interest. I suggested he carry a smaller gun just for scout meetings, shove it in a front pocket or cargo pocket, nope. It's like he enjoys printing and exposing his holster/gun just for kicks. Always has a new story about how somebody saw his gun. Problem is, he gives the rest of is a bad image. It's irresponsable. He doesn't care. The kind of guy that shoots a LOT but isn't very good, sends 10x more lead down range than me but I can outshoot him with ANY gun including my subcompact 38/9mm/40 carry guns.
Well, I ain't your buddy.

fnfalman
07-11-2012, 12:45
Well, I ain't your buddy.

What? You're not my huckleberry?

Redheadhunter21
07-11-2012, 13:15
Printing no, but if it was somewhere around the house and it was accidentally exposed I would let them know, wouldn't get bothered if someone came up to let me know either, it's possible I had no idea and may save me some hassle.

Up in the city your on your own

professorpinki
07-11-2012, 13:24
Noticed a guy carrying southpaw last night. I didn't tell him. Lots of people carry where I live, OC and CC. *shrugs*

dajcarroll
07-11-2012, 14:12

There is no CC in Indiana. It's just a license to carry. Open or concealed.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

captcurly
07-11-2012, 15:16
NO, BECAUSE IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS. You never know how somebody will react.

01coltcolt
07-11-2012, 17:04
I find it ridiculous that anyone would think it was any of their business.

I was loading boxes of clay pigeons into a cart at Wally world, and when I bent down to pick up the box, I was approached by a 24ish year old kid. He said "You know we can see your gun through your shirt?" My response......."and your Fn point is." Him "Im just saying." as he holds his phone up like he is going to call someone. Me "Umm go away."

What a little punk. I still can't figure what was his reason for showing his a>> like that was?

rilkil23
07-11-2012, 17:51
I wouldn't bring it to his attention as it is none of my business. If the guy had a booger hanging off his face I might let him know, never happend to me of course. No boogers in public embarrassing moments for me. None............

NMG26
07-11-2012, 18:00
Would you tell a stranger his fly was open?

tgmr05
07-11-2012, 19:59
Right after I finished my discussion with the well endowed lady about whether they were real or not, because cleavage was showing, and how much it cost, and how it would be better if she left them covered,.. Well, then I would execute a tactical dive/roll while drawing my own gun, simultaneously phoning 911 so my conversation could be recorded to be sure things went smoothly during my confrontation with such an obvious horrid situation. Guns are so evil, we should never be subjected to seeing them on anyone but cops,military. The mere sight of a gun on a civulian may cause spontaneous violence and death on a scale like no one can imagine....

PimpStick
07-11-2012, 20:09
Maybe. Depends on how I read the person and if I could do it discretely.

What he said!

mixflip
07-11-2012, 20:48
NO. Why would you?

If you live in an open carry state the gun just goes from concealed to open carry which are both legal where I live. No laws broken either way.

99% of folks think a print in a shirt is a cell phone. Only fellow CCW folks and cops spot a true firearms print.

smokeross
07-11-2012, 20:59
What? You're not my huckleberry?
I might be your Huckleberry, but I ain't his. He doesn't have a clue.

Caver 60
07-11-2012, 21:39
Nope.

Walked into Wal Mart last night behind a guy I didn't know who was obviously (to me at least because I was looking) carrying IWB at 3:00. Didn't say a word to him.

I suspect he was a LEO because of the way he was dressed, groomed, and conducting himself. But I wouldn't have said anything, even if I hadn't suspected.

IvanVic
07-11-2012, 22:54
No, mostly because I would look like a fool if the object turned out to be something other than a gun. If his gun was fully exposed and about to fall from a holster, then yes :)

Rancher
07-12-2012, 08:02
No. During my LE days our policy and procedure manual clearly stated though we were not allowed off duty to carry in a manner that may "arouse or excite the public". Sounds kinda sexual now!

Rancher

Nine Shooter
07-12-2012, 19:05
I print and I don't care. I don't like wearing ill fitting baggy shirts in the summer. I like carrying mid-full size handguns.

I've only had one person mention it to me. I was inside a semi-local tactical/surplus store and the 20-30 something, blatantly ex-military guy (who practically wore it on his sleeve) behind the counter said, "Hey Brah, you know, you are printing pretty bad."

I simply smiled and said, "Thanks, I don't care."

If it wasn't against off duty work policy, I'd probably open carry some places.

mixflip
07-13-2012, 00:47
"Hey Brah, you know, you are printing pretty bad."

I simply smiled and said, "Thanks, I don't care."

I freakin love this response. I am the same way. I print and dont care. 99% of the sheeple out there have no situational awareness as it is.

Big Mad Dawg
07-13-2012, 03:37
Right after I finished my discussion with the well endowed lady about whether they were real or not, because cleavage was showing, and how much it cost, and how it would be better if she left them covered,.. Well, then I would execute a tactical dive/roll while drawing my own gun, simultaneously phoning 911 so my conversation could be recorded to be sure things went smoothly during my confrontation with such an obvious horrid situation. Guns are so evil, we should never be subjected to seeing them on anyone but cops,military. The mere sight of a gun on a civulian may cause spontaneous violence and death on a scale like no one can imagine....

Please as a favor to all mankind do not ever complain about cleavage. :needspics:

As for printing being a self appointed under cover mall ninja want to be cop is just not one of my hobbies I will mind my own business.

P.S. I know I got your humor in fact it is why I commented I enjoyed your story.:rofl: