Why would I shoot a revolver better? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why would I shoot a revolver better?

drraoulduke
07-11-2012, 10:30
Hey guys,

Haven't shot many handguns in my life(a Glock 19 and S&W semi auto) and today I got my pistol permit. Went to the range and rented a Beretta px4 storm compact and Ruger sp101 357 mag. I shot MUCH better at 15, 20 and 30 feet with the revolver in both single and double action. I even shot consistently better in double action mode on the revolver than single action on the Beretta. With that said I still bought the 92FS as my first gun with the Connecticut state permit (had a S&W sigma in NY years ago). What could be the reason? They both weigh about the same.

wjv
07-11-2012, 10:34
Fits your hand better?

ronin.45
07-11-2012, 10:39
Yup, what he said.

fnfalman
07-11-2012, 10:48
Better sights, better trigger pulls (even the ghastly Ruger trigger pulls are better than a good autopistol's DASA trigger pulls), fixed barrel, and yes, fits hands better.

Even a big frame wheelgun can be retrofitted with much smaller grips to fit one's hands better. You can only slim down an autopistol's grip so much because of the mag well.

bac1023
07-11-2012, 11:11
Many people shoot revolvers better.

That said, I would not conclude that for yourself after one sampling of each.

janice6
07-11-2012, 11:20
It's possible that you are conscious of the fact that more is required of you, than just pulling a trigger.

This might make your handling and shooting a more calculated move then just"shooting".

I love to shoot my revolver more than my G27. The revolver is just"nicer" for me.
I have no reservations with the G27, but it just isn't as intimate an experience for me.

Wheel guns are slick.

HexHead
07-11-2012, 11:24
Fixed barrel.

Bruce M
07-11-2012, 14:06
I am gonna guess this is a product of the trigger and/or how it feels in your hand. And I agree that you ought to try shooting some other pistols and revolvers before you conclude with certainty.

Jameson4all
07-11-2012, 14:48
Revolvers have very little creep or take up to the trigger. The trigger pull in single action is very short and crisp. This typically allows for better groups, YMMV

Berto
07-11-2012, 14:50
Revolvers often have a more predictable break than many autos, and they almost always balance better for steadiness.

bac1023
07-11-2012, 15:06
Revolvers often have a more predictable break than many autos, and they almost always balance better for steadiness.

Very true, Berto

collim1
07-11-2012, 15:17
I prefer a revolver myself. Give them a chance, they make great carry guns.

drraoulduke
07-11-2012, 15:21

I did notice I was more steady with the 357.

hogfish
07-11-2012, 15:34
Hey guys,

Haven't shot many handguns in my life(a Glock 19 and S&W semi auto) and today I got my pistol permit. Went to the range and rented a Beretta px4 storm compact and Ruger sp101 357 mag. I shot MUCH better at 15, 20 and 30 feet with the revolver in both single and double action. I even shot consistently better in double action mode on the revolver than single action on the Beretta. With that said I still bought the 92FS as my first gun with the Connecticut state permit (had a S&W sigma in NY years ago). What could be the reason? They both weigh about the same.

The Beretta px4 storm sux.

K.Kiser
07-11-2012, 15:47
I agree with what was said above... Another reason I shoot a wheelgun better is the grip angle and my wrist agree on terms better than my wrist and the typical semi-auto does with the exception of a few semi's that I know of... As said the trigger makes a difference for me also... My factor S&W 29 has a trigger on it that has less creep (very nearly zero) and a sharper break than most factory bolt action deer rifles...

I grew up shooting cases of ammo through revolvers till it got dark outside and mom was worried, so that lends to my comfort with them but the semi-auto definitely excels in other areas though... Both serve their purpose with great result...