Help me pick or get some ideas for a .22 pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick or get some ideas for a .22 pistol

ARP
07-11-2012, 16:45
I have been thinking that I want a semi auto .22 to plink with. I have a 2nd gen 19 and a Ruger SS in .22, was thinking about the conversion kit but it is in the $200 range so I might just spend another $150 or so and try and find something I seek in something used.

Not interested in Ruger Marks. I was thinking of getting a CO2 BB gun model of a Beretta 92 that had blowback capability, the more I thought about it, I'm thinking .22 instead. So I'm thinking either a 92 or 1911 styled, more partial to the 92 style but not married to the thought. By the way, another reason on the BB was that I could shoot it in my basement in the winter providing I set up the right BB catcher.

CanMan
07-12-2012, 22:51
I've got a G19 & I really like the AA conversion unit for it... don't rule it out completely. A Browning Buckmark Camper might be right up your alley. I picked one up a couple of months ago and put a Tac-Sol bbl on it specifically to use as a host for my Sparrow. IIRC the Buckmark was around +/- $325. After a 'Heggis flip' the trigger was much better and it's a fun plinker. Good luck on your choice!

Peter_72
07-12-2012, 23:25
The GSG .22! It feels and looks great and shoots really well and It's my favorite gun to shoot! I also love the looks of a Beretta 92 and if I could find a .22 that looks exactly like it I would probably buy it too. Good luck in your search...The funnest I have with guns is shopping for a new one!!!

Heres something to think about!
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/woodgrips.jpg

ARP
07-13-2012, 08:58
The GSG .22! It feels and looks great and shoots really well and It's my favorite gun to shoot! I also love the looks of a Beretta 92 and if I could find a .22 that looks exactly like it I would probably buy it too. Good luck in your search...The funnest I have with guns is shopping for a new one!!!

Heres something to think about!
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/woodgrips.jpg

My LGS has one and I'm going to go look at it this afternoon. Did a bunch of research on those last night mainly reading professional reviews and owner reviews and watched Youtube reviews and field strip vids etc. Have to kind of be careful(myself) when looking at some of this stuff, must check the date on the postings. Saw a lot of complaints about a broken spring guide on the second generation of these, ATI knows about it yet the part they supply is the same as the failed part ??? so what are they really fixing here. I know, they are just a reseller of this product, they don't MFG.Read that you can swap out parts for the failed part to make the gun more reliable but then it supposedly voids 2 year warranty? I really like what I see in pics and vids. My hopes for a Beretta 92 style I think are dependent upon me buying a 92 and conversion kit, too expensive a route to go.

Of all the reviews I read I would say a very high percentage loved the gun, they did not like the sights but that is an easy fix, and the love fest stopped when that guide rod broke and ATI could not immediately supply parts at times weeks to months. My thoughts are that if they could not supply parts right away the warranty is worthless and I would either sell it off or buy better replacements and have fun with it.

I may own one this afternoon.

ARP
07-13-2012, 09:23
I think it is getting time to poop or get off the pot:wow: I envision myself getting the GSG 1911.22 and then learning as much about the platform as I can and then replacing bits and pieces so it is custom to me. So who is your favorite parts supplier Brownells? Midway? Others. Saw the mags are about $30-$35 each, yowza.

BenjiEDF
07-13-2012, 15:41
Chiappa makes a clone berreta 92 .22 (don't know if it's any good). The GSG 1911 is excellent though, extremely accurate, not too picky with ammo, and very well made. They are both about $330 I think.

ARP
07-13-2012, 18:33
Chiappa makes a clone berreta 92 .22 (don't know if it's any good). The GSG 1911 is excellent though, extremely accurate, not too picky with ammo, and very well made. They are both about $330 I think.

$10 more, it has the rail attached to it already, that was enough to sway the price increase, and the fake silencer which I just do not have any clue as to why. Does anyone have any idea what purpose it serves? I thought the price, compared to what some of you are quoting, was high. But I almost have to buy where the product is located, I could easily spend a lot of time and money driving around and looking in shops and shows for the gun I want, I did not settle on this one. My feelings are that 1911 styles are meant to customize, I may swap out the black grips for wood and put better sites on. Let's see how i like it first as a shooter before I drop more coin on it.

Peter_72
07-13-2012, 19:26
I wouldn't mess with the fake suppressor, it's more money for something that has no function. Spend the extra money on new grips!

Saw a lot of complaints about a broken spring guide on the second generation of these,

The newest version is a little better than the second version, the spring guide is solid at the base now compared to being an x all the way to the base on the second version. I lost count of rounds through mine but I would guess it's around 3000.....I haven't had one problem with it! If it does break for $20 I'll upgrade.

Good luck with which ever one you choose!

bac1023
07-14-2012, 17:08
I'm not real big on all these new rimfire replicas of classic pistols. They're mainly there so people who own the real deal can plink with something familiar rather than being really well built pistols.

You can get a better quality gun, but choosing a classic rimfire.

What's wrong with the Ruger Mark series? :dunno:

CDR_Glock
07-14-2012, 21:48

It's out of his price range.

---

Look at a Walther P22. That's a good gun for the money.

ARP
07-15-2012, 21:07
It's out of his price range.

---

Look at a Walther P22. That's a good gun for the money.

I owned a Ruger Mark II with a bull barrel many a few years ago, in fact I traded it + $225 cash for my currently owned 2nd Gen 19 in 1991. Did not like it, it was a target pistol and I wanted something with more fire power and concealability, hence Glock was THE hot gun of that era. Loved it and did the deal.

There was a Mark($325) in the case right next to the GSG, it just did not catch my eye as desirable. Was also a Walther P22, kinda smallish I thought. Pretty sure I got what I wanted providing it runs correctly. Was doing the math; 0ne 10 round mag thru the GSG = 1 round thru the Glock. I'm a new shooter in need of trigger time and experience on the range and am building a small yet very usable/versatile collection of guns so the cost of operation is going to come into play in my decisions if I want to enjoy my firearms.

Peter_72
07-16-2012, 04:28

I shoot a Mark II pretty often and the only good thing I would say about it is that it's accurate, I don't like anything else about it....Ugly and I seem to loose interest in shooting it very quick.

Kahrslinger
07-16-2012, 05:45
I have the Sig version of the GSG 1911 and it is by far my favorite to shoot. Thousands of rounds and no problems..

ARP
07-16-2012, 18:56
I spoke with Blackhawk about holsters today. The tactical rail on my GSG most likely will not work in the Blackhawk holster designed for Colt/Umarex version with a rail on it. Too thick and too wide on the rail. With the rail removed it should be okay to use in a Blackhawk holster part # is 410503BK-R for the matte black right handed version.

Glock22-007
07-19-2012, 11:59
I spoke with Blackhawk about holsters today. The tactical rail on my GSG most likely will not work in the Blackhawk holster designed for Colt/Umarex version with a rail on it. Too thick and too wide on the rail. With the rail removed it should be okay to use in a Blackhawk holster part # is 410503BK-R for the matte black right handed version.

my sig 1911-22 fits fine in the Blackhawk! Sherpa level 2 holster and it fits all colt 1911 clones.

AZson
07-19-2012, 19:39
Ruger SR-22, a bunch of guys at my work have been buying them 2 at a time. I bought one for my wife. Comes with changable back-sraps, 2 mags and a nice case.

donp
07-19-2012, 19:58
I have the GSG 1911 22 and love it. Shoots great (about 4000 rnds so far). Several people have shot it and feel the same. The Sig 1911 22 is the same gun by GSG

Don

ARP
07-20-2012, 02:07
my sig 1911-22 fits fine in the Blackhawk! Sherpa level 2 holster and it fits all colt 1911 clones.

He (@ Blackhawk) was looking at internet pictures of the GSG to try and make his determination and help me out as a repeat customer and in his opinion he thought that the rail that came mounted upon my GSG was to large to properly fit, but the model number he gave is for the tactical WITH THE RAIL that fits COLT/UMAREX with the rail. He felt the model number provided would definitely fit W/O a rail and possibly fit WITH a rail, but he was not optimistic.

You do not mention if your Sig/ GSG 1911 has a rail or not.

ARP
08-03-2012, 14:47
My first impressions are that I can see myself spending alot of time plinking with this gun. I joined the local range, it is mostly a trap/skeet club, I will have the pistol range to myself a lot of the time. And someone in the club took some of their time and fixed the pistol range up a bit and I am going to donate more of my time, effort, money to improve it further! And plan to leave it in better condition than when I arrived each time. No RO at this place so I'm on my own. All sorts of steel targets to plink. I'm going to build a few proper paper target stands for the range.

I had a lot of fun getting used to this gun today. Started off a little off target but I kept at it and making small corrections and by the time I left I was plinking the steel from 50' fairly easily. It really does not like the Winchester 555 bulk I was running, mostly FTF problems and later on stove piping. Loves CCI minimags. Even tried out the fake suppressor and it actually seemed to give the gun more balance. Go figure.

Bought a Blackhawk! holster and it will not work when I have the rail installed so I removed the rail and all is good. Ordered 2 more mags and I'm thinking I should have bought 3.

Next up will be the Sig 522 that is on the way. This is gonna be fun. I bought 4 25 rnd mags for it.

Ken43
08-13-2012, 21:31
I just bought a Ruger SR 22. It is the best .22 pistol I have ever shot. It takes all brands of ammo and it is very smoth.
I have owned several other .22 pistols and none of them come close to the SR 22.

Faulkner
08-18-2012, 08:32
I would first recommend a Ruger MK series, but since you've nixed that I'll move to my next recommendation.

I have a Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22 and I don't have a problem recommending either, though I would lean a little toward the Ruger SR22 if I could only have one.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2120947/401952432.jpg

LA_357SIG
08-18-2012, 08:41
I don't have many complaints about the M&P22 I bought. It isn't an exact trainer for my Glock 19 but it is fun to shoot.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/chrisq_01/100_2575.jpg
Just a side note: Women dig .22lr suppressors. It is like a magnet at the range.