Sig guys...P226 German, go for it or not? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig guys...P226 German, go for it or not?

mr00jimbo
07-11-2012, 17:40
Originally I wanted to keep my German P220 9mm. But somebody on my local Canadian forum really liked it so I sold it, since I also do prefer the grip of the wider P226.

On Sig's website, they advertise a model known as the P226 German, which comes in two configurations:
E2 grips, milled slide, external extractor
Standard grips, internal extractor, folded carbon slide and night sights.

I am leaning towards the standard grips model with the folded slide and internal extractor. I don't know know if these are a limited run, or what they are.

Each Sig German has the German proof markings, and triple serial numbers, just like the old style. I only have TWO concerns about the P226 with the folded slide and internal extractor:

1. Is it hard to find parts to service these types of P226s since all the new ones tend to be milled/external extractor? Parts availability might be scarce.
2. Is the milled slide a LOT stronger than the folded? Is the folded "weak" i.e shoot it sparingly, no +p/only mild ammo?
I plan to shoot this thing...not in competition but shoot it when I go to the range and I don't want to worry about it breaking on me and not having parts around.

Runner up is an MK25 Navy, which is a marketing gimmick sure but still a cool gun, though I hear so much bad crap about the Exeter made Sigs.

If anybody could answer my questions about the internal extractor model P226 that's shown on Sig's website, that'd be great!
I don't know where they're coming from but they look cool. I didn't know they still made folded slides. :)

Thanks. My Visa is biting me in my wallet, and since I sold my P220 I want to use the money to put towards a new Sig before it gets spent irresponsibly! :supergrin:

collim1
07-11-2012, 17:59
I always stick up for the US made Sigs.

I have three US made Sigs and all have been perfect.

I do like the German made guns but the stainless slide and light rail is an improvement IMO.

My newest Sig is a December 2010 P220 and is my most shot range gun and HD gun with a TLR-1 attached. It has been very reliable for 5K+ rounds in the last two and half years.

I would pick which one you want, but dont worry about buying an Exeter Sig. I know the regulars will chime in and call me stupid, but my experience with Sig has been awesome.

My father also bought a P238 after I recommended Sig, and it has less than a thousand rounds through it, but has been 100% reliable with FMJ and JHP.

grumpy1
07-11-2012, 18:15
I would not worry about parts availability for the P226. Most parts are the same between the milled slide and carbon steel slide other than slide components obviously. There will be plenty of internal extractors around also but you can buy an extra one to have on hand if you want to be sure of that.

The carbon steel slide is plenty strong for the 9MM but will require more maintenance in that you must change those breech block pins every 5000 rounds max to insure long life of the P226 frame and slide. Changing breech block pins, recoil springs between 3000 - 5000 rounds, and keeping frame rails well lubed will insure long life of the P226.

I have both type of P226s and don't really have a preference for one over the other as they are both superb pistols and have never given me any problems through thousands of rounds fired. Some like the balance of the carbon steel slide P226 better due to the lighter weight of the slide but to me it does not matter.