Beach [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beach

vinstang67
07-11-2012, 18:02
I am heading to the beach for family vacation.

What do you do with your EDC while on vacation/beach?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FlagGlock
07-11-2012, 20:50
What do you do with your EDC while on vacation/beach?

Some kind of Gearslinger (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/GEARSLINGER-Series-c2.htm)in khaki for the beach. Remora or Sitka would work great.

:cool:

Z28ricer
07-11-2012, 20:55
Take out the G32 mag and put the G33 mag back in, drop into pocket of swim shorts.

Lior
07-12-2012, 00:16
SmartCarry or (cringe) fanny pack.

SouthernBoyVA
07-12-2012, 06:57
Depends upon the beach, their laws, and how I'm dressed. Generally, I carry my LCP or something very similar in a pocket. Not my first choice by any means but with the limited amount of clothing commonly worn at beaches, it does beat a hammer.

RussP
07-12-2012, 07:18
Folks, you all know the rules. No infractions this time, but any more violations...

jdavionic
07-12-2012, 16:52
It varies. I generally bring my G19 and LCP. However I usually just carry the LCP in my cargo shorts pocket. Actually on the beach, I have none. I go swimming with the kids, so I don't bring it onto the beach. I should add that the beach that we visit each year is what I consider to be very low risk. Of course, my acceptable level of risk will differ from that of others.

concretefuzzynuts
07-12-2012, 17:07
If you can carry where you are going- cargo shorts. I live at the beach and an LCR is always in my pocket.

If you can't carry where you are going lock it in the hotel or room safe.

vinstang67
07-12-2012, 17:39
Thank you for your inputs.

I took all inputs and gave some thoughts.

I will swim (be on the beach with my wife and 3 yrs old).

I do not see myself having my EDC in swim pants nor getting it wet.
My wife has never handled any firearms.
I won't have 100% control over my EDC while on the beach.

Running out of option but leaving it in the room or the vehicle (I have a small handgun lock box with security wire).

collim1
07-12-2012, 17:51
I took a soft sided cooler with a zipper pocket in the front. I put my jframe, a speedstrip, and ID in the zipper pocket. Had a fun day at the beach keeping the cooler in sight the whole time. I dont have children so I did not have to worry about that.

Had a great trip, didn't need my gun, felt better knowing it was there.

concretefuzzynuts
07-12-2012, 18:27
I took a soft sided cooler with a zipper pocket in the front. I put my jframe, a speedstrip, and ID in the zipper pocket. Had a fun day at the beach keeping the cooler in sight the whole time. I dont have children so I did not have to worry about that.

Had a great trip, didn't need my gun, felt better knowing it was there.

Around here the "kids" on the beach will sometimes steal a cooler now and then looking for beer.

If you go for a dip, discretely bury your weapon in the sand under your towel, blanket or chair. Wrap it in your t-shirt or something and keep an eye on your "pile" of stuff.

Oh, and, flame on flamers. Been doing it 30+ years.

SouthernBoyVA
07-12-2012, 18:54
The only time I carry when at the beach is when going out someplace. I don't carry on the beach because I don't wish to take the chance of someone taking my stuff and finding a firearm amongst my things. When out, it's most always my LCP (previously my Kel-Tec P3AT) in the cargo pocket of my shorts.

Z28ricer
07-12-2012, 20:11
I do not see myself having my EDC in swim pants nor getting it wet.

Why not ?

Just spent a weekend with mine in pocket of swim shorts, not really swimming but definetly underwater while anchoring a boat and getting to / from shoreline and it.

A little cleaning and some breakfree after, everything back as it was.

attrapereves
07-12-2012, 21:57
The only time I carry when at the beach is when going out someplace. I don't carry on the beach because I don't wish to take the chance of someone taking my stuff and finding a firearm amongst my things. When out, it's most always my LCP (previously my Kel-Tec P3AT) in the cargo pocket of my shorts.

I usually do the same thing. I never carry at the pool or on the beach. To me, I see a higher chance of my stuff getting stolen over needing to use my gun. Also, having to disarm to get in the pool or ocean may cause someone to notice you are carrying and steal your gun when you aren't looking.

Basically, the beach and pool are the few locations where I don't carry. Have fun! You are on vacation.

Brucev
07-12-2012, 22:22
Been going to public and private beaches for most of my life. I've not ever considered there was any need for a weapon while at the beach. Have not ever had any incident occur.

concretefuzzynuts
07-13-2012, 06:06
Been going to public and private beaches for most of my life. I've not ever considered there was any need for a weapon while at the beach. Have not ever had any incident occur.

Depends on the beach. Some beaches in NJ, CA and FL I would never go to again without a gun. And maybe it's the walk to the beach that you might need one.

SouthernBoyVA
07-13-2012, 07:29
I usually do the same thing. I never carry at the pool or on the beach. To me, I see a higher chance of my stuff getting stolen over needing to use my gun. Also, having to disarm to get in the pool or ocean may cause someone to notice you are carrying and steal your gun when you aren't looking.

Basically, the beach and pool are the few locations where I don't carry. Have fun! You are on vacation.

Which is one of the times and places where you are least likely to practice situational awareness. We do tend to let our guard down when at the water's edge... which makes us and our things ripe for the taking. At a crowded, or semi-crowded, beach the likelihood of being attacked is pretty remote. But the likelihood of having things stolen is higher than one might think.... it is actually pretty common in some places.

Some of the most dangerous places at vacation resorts/beaches/parks are parking lots, entrances to one's motel or hotel room, back streets, and amusement parks. A very common location for robberies are covered parking lots at night when people are coming back from a movie, dinner, a show, or some other entertainment. They are really at their lowest SA condition at these times and are ripe for an attack.

vinstang67
07-13-2012, 11:50
I thank you all for good inputs and thoughts from your past experience.

I will carry where legally allowed except the beach in swim pants, and enjoy my vacation with my family.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboy1964
07-13-2012, 18:47
I'm on the beach to relax, not worry about burying my weapon in the sand and having to keep an eye on it.

Z28ricer
07-13-2012, 19:25
I'm on the beach to relax, not worry about burying my weapon in the sand and having to keep an eye on it.

Indeed, thats what pockets are for.

Rev.357
07-13-2012, 20:55
On the beach trips I carry my G26 in many different ways according on the event of the day & I also have one of two benchmade blades with me my auto Pre. 5000 of fixed 140.