What Sight is on your G20?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Sight is on your G20??

copo9560
07-11-2012, 20:59
I am looking to upgrade sights on my G20 and looking for suggestions. I don't use the gun for HD so tritium is not needed. I like to shoot the G20 at 50 or more yards and find the stock sights too big.

Also curious who has fiber sights on G20 - will they survive recoil of hot rounds like Underwood?

WeeWilly
07-11-2012, 22:30
Sounds like Dawson is right up your alley.

Meathead9
07-11-2012, 23:01
I have the Dawson Precision adjustable black rear & .285" x .100" red F/O front on my G20LS, and I think it's the perfect setup for precision long range shooting. The narrow front sight covers less of the target, and there's enough daylight on the sides of the front sight blade to get a better sight picture.

On my USPSA Limited G20SF, I'm running a black Sevigny Competition rear & Dawson .255" x .115" black front. It's another great setup, but not as good for long range precision. They sure are fast though.

Grimson
07-12-2012, 01:54
Sevigny Competition narrow notch rear sight and fiber optic front sight on a G20 SF. I run a steady diet of fairly hot handloads (LWD 5.15" barrel) and the fiber optic sight stays cool and in place. This has been a very accurate setup for me. However, since I do most of my shooting at an indoor range I recently swapped out the fiber optic sight for a Warren Tactical tritium front sight. (Outdoors the fiber optic sight is bright and easy to see, but indoors it's not much better than a plain black sight.) To me this is the perfect setup for my particular needs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

harleytech
07-12-2012, 03:32
XS Big Dot on mine...

swinokur
07-12-2012, 03:36
I like the sight picture on my Meprolight night sights, even in daytime. Can't hurt they are easy to see in low light as well.

crazywednesday
07-12-2012, 09:15
I am going to give these a try.

http://www.advantagetactical.com/

Justin

Fire_Medic
07-12-2012, 12:13
My go to set of sights for the last couple of years since they car out (maybe longer) has been the "Hackathorn" setup from Ameriglo. Around $75-$80 and for me a great sight picture that is easy to pick up in any light situation. Black serrated rear, and the proglo front with the orange circle around the tritium.

Have not tried it for precision shooting, but been happy with them for my uses. Have had them on numerous Glocks and M&P's, and would have had them on my 1911's if they were offered for them as well.

Just my $0.02.

For your "precision" shooting needs I would agree with the recommendation for the dawson setup with the FO front, and if the FO gets messed up for any reason it's was and cheap to replace and comes in different colors too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

gator378
07-12-2012, 13:55
I am looking to upgrade sights on my G20 and looking for suggestions. I don't use the gun for HD so tritium is not needed. I like to shoot the G20 at 50 or more yards and find the stock sights too big.

Also curious who has fiber sights on G20 - will they survive recoil of hot rounds like Underwood?

Have the J-Point red dot for the last five or so years. Shot a lot and so far not one problem.

10 fan
07-12-2012, 22:18
Have the J-Point red dot for the last five or so years. Shot a lot and so far not one problem.
I have thought about trying the J Point.The G20 is my carry gun ,not sure about the extra bulk. How did you mount yours?Is it a carry gun or for hunting?

robert91922
07-13-2012, 01:33
Advantage Tactical Sights w.orange insert front, yellow insert rear. Great for quick aim action shooting, great for slow precise bullseye shooting.
The only downside is they are not glowing in total darkness. But I don't care, cause I have Streamlight TLR1s tactical light attached :cool:
http://www.advantagetactical.com/

nickE10mm
07-13-2012, 08:26

Gator, we still need to meet out at the range one of these days! I'd LOVE to shoot that red dot G20...

To the OP... I've got Heinie Straight Eights on my G20SF but I've got plans to change that. I'll probably put the Straight Eights on my G29SF and add one of the following to my G20: 1) an RMR, FF, JP reflex sight or 2) Dawson Precision Adjustable Rear / FO Front (like Meatheads, above). Not sure yet but have so much going on right now I don't know when I'd make the change.

copo9560
07-13-2012, 17:10
Thanks to all for the responses. The Advantage Tactical is a little different but interesting design. Will read up on all the recommendations and let you know what I decide.

arushus
07-16-2012, 09:54
XS Big Dots for me as well.

Meathead9
07-16-2012, 12:49

XS Big Dot on mine...

XS Big Dots for me as well.

How are those Big Dots working out for you @ 50yds+ ?

arushus
07-17-2012, 00:42
How are those Big Dots working out for you @ 50yds+ ?

XS Sight Demo - YouTube

harleytech
07-17-2012, 01:29
XS Sight Demo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8)
Like this....!!!! :wavey:

Fire_Medic
07-17-2012, 06:55
I tried the big dots years ago when they first came out and were all the rage, they were ok, but the big dot covered too much of the target for me at distance, and I just couldn't adjust 100% to lining up the rear sight.

I do have a couple of buddies running traditional rear sights and the standard dot up front on their 1911's and it actually word pretty well.

Meathead9
07-17-2012, 09:39
XS Sight Demo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8)

Like this....!!!! :wavey:

I didn't ask how James Yeager shoots with them at 50+yds. I asked how they work for YOU at 50+yds. I don't go around posting videos of Taran Butler, Bob Vogel or Dave Sevigny when someone asks me how well I can shoot my Glock in USPSA... :tongueout:

Plus, the OP said the stock sights are too big for his taste. If the stock front sight is too big, the Big Dot would be ridiculous. That sight has its place, but it's not a 50yd bullseye sight.

nickE10mm
07-17-2012, 10:08
I didn't ask how James Yeager shoots with them at 50+yds. I asked how they work for YOU at 50+yds. I don't go around posting videos of Taran Butler, Bob Vogel or Dave Sevigny when someone asks me how well I can shoot my Glock in USPSA... :tongueout:

Plus, the OP said the stock sights are too big for his taste. If the stock front sight is too big, the Big Dot would be ridiculous. That sight has its place, but it's not a 50yd bullseye sight.

Agreed.... :)

I'm sure you've posted pics elsewhere of your DP / FO sights, Meathead.... could you post here of your setup (rear sight, specifically)?

Thanks!

gator378
07-17-2012, 13:53
I have thought about trying the J Point.The G20 is my carry gun ,not sure about the extra bulk. How did you mount yours?Is it a carry gun or for hunting?

Mounted with Jpoint mount. Set up for hunting.

Meathead9
07-17-2012, 14:55
Agreed.... :)

I'm sure you've posted pics elsewhere of your DP / FO sights, Meathead.... could you post here of your setup (rear sight, specifically)?

Thanks!

I'm having camera issues, I'll post one as soon as I can.

nickE10mm
07-17-2012, 15:07
I'm having camera issues, I'll post one as soon as I can.

Thanks man!

Meathead9
07-17-2012, 16:56
Here's the best I could get:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20LSSightPicture-1.jpg

Grizzz
07-17-2012, 18:54
How does that sight set-up work deep in deep woods , low light. I have the Dawson Precision adjustable black rear & .285" x .100" red F/O front on my G20LS, and I think it's the perfect setup for precision long range shooting. The narrow front sight covers less of the target, and there's enough daylight on the sides of the front sight blade to get a better sight picture.

On my USPSA Limited G20SF, I'm running a black Sevigny Competition rear & Dawson .255" x .115" black front. It's another great setup, but not as good for long range precision. They sure are fast though.

Meathead9
07-17-2012, 19:36
How does that sight set-up work deep in deep woods , low light.

I haven't shot it deep in the woods with low light yet, but I have shot it in an extremely poor lit indoor range. Even in a dungeon of an indoor range, the sight picture is still good on a B-27 target. If there is any light whatsoever, that little red dot is still very visible. Outdoors in the shade or open daylight, it's perfect. Very bright, but not so bright that it's distracting. I started out with an DP adjustable rear that had Green F/O, but it was REALLY distracting on long range shots. It made it really hard to focus on anything past 25yds.

What did you mean by "seeing is believing"?

nickE10mm
07-17-2012, 19:37
Meathead, thanks for posting. Love that sight picture. The absolute best for long range shooting!

Grizzz, I had sights like that on my G20L, my Razorback and now my Fusion. They are excellent in deep woods, low light. They work fine for me until shooting hours are over.

copo9560
07-20-2012, 19:54
Here's the best I could get:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20LSSightPicture-1.jpg

These look great - any way you can post the model numbers? Is the rear fixed or adjustable?

Meathead9
07-20-2012, 21:09
These look great - any way you can post the model numbers? Is the rear fixed or adjustable?

No problem, here ya go:

Dawson Precision
Front Sight: 019004
Adjustable Rear Sight: 017012
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=2160000-1094593467

Fire_Medic
07-20-2012, 22:16
I went with these on my G20SF, as I did on all my Glocks, by far my favorite sights to date.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL433_0.jpg