Oversized Ranier Bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Ranier Bullets

drew02a
07-11-2012, 23:08
I bought some Ranier 180gr FMJ bullets, but they measure about 0.0015 too big (0.4015). Because of this they won't chamber well in my Lone Wolf Barrel; though they chamber in the Glock OEM barrel just fine. They go almost all the way in, but stick about 0.2" before they chamber all the way. Usually the force of the slide will push them in all the way, but I've had a few that just wouldn't chamber.

Anyone else had trouble with them?

dm1906
07-11-2012, 23:23
I've seen this with many Ranier bullet calibers, and have quit using them for that reason. Price be damned. If you measure all of them, you'll probably find about 1/2 of them are closer to .401, with others all over the place. If you have a sizer, you can fix it, but I stopped sending them my money a long time ago. The core bullets are swaged, so that shouldn't be the problem (or shouldn't, anyway). It's their plating process that's the problem. Very inconsistent. Berry's bullets are more $$, but no size or consistency issues with them.

[edit]
Ranier aren't really "FMJ". They are "TMJ", which means they are plated. The highest quality TMJ bullets are Hornady, with the thickest plating, and very consistent sizes.

drew02a
07-11-2012, 23:28
Lesson learned I guess. Problem is that I have about ~450 of them left :(

Will take awhile to shoot them all since I don't generally use my OEM barrel much. Maybe I should take up match shooting

dm1906
07-11-2012, 23:36
Lesson learned I guess. Problem is that I have about ~450 of them left :(

Will take awhile to shoot them all since I don't generally use my OEM barrel much. Maybe I should take up match shooting
However it works out. For about $20, you can get a Lee sizer.

Also, it probably won't make much difference. The Ranier bullets won't go fast enough (accurately, or stay together) to overspeed your OEM barrel. About 1050-1100 FPS is the speed limit with them. If you are trying to use them for full power (or nukes), bail out! At about 1350 FPS, they shed the plating. No accuracy above about 1100 FPS, at all.

drew02a
07-11-2012, 23:39
Thanks that explains ALOT. I was wondering why the hell they were grouping all over the place. Instead of working up a load, I just "worked down" a few loads this evening to see if it would help.

dm1906
07-11-2012, 23:54
If you also shoot .40's, they are great for that, and economical.

drew02a
07-12-2012, 08:51
If you also shoot .40's, they are great for that, and economical.

I don't currently own anything of the 40 S&W variety. I'll probably just lower the powder charge and keep using them for target practice.

dm1906
07-12-2012, 11:46
That's what I would do (and did). Shooting less power is better than shooting less often.

Fire_Medic
07-12-2012, 12:17
If you are trying to use them for full power (or nukes), bail out! At about 1350 FPS, they shed the plating. No accuracy above about 1100 FPS, at all.

I learned this the hard way a few years ago working up 45 ACP loads, had accuracy issues with the stouter rounds and I was well below the maximum charge for what I was loading up.

I know they cost more, but the Montana Gold bullets have never given me any issues in the three calibers I have shot them in. (9mm, 40SW, 45ACP)

I ordered some of the Xtreme bullets from TJ Convera to start my reloading with 10MM and will post up how it goes.

Need to get me a chronograph, but that's a whole bother learning curve right now, lol.

Taterhead
07-12-2012, 20:10
Also, it probably won't make much difference. The Ranier bullets won't go fast enough (accurately, or stay together) to overspeed your OEM barrel. About 1050-1100 FPS is the speed limit with them. If you are trying to use them for full power (or nukes), bail out! At about 1350 FPS, they shed the plating. No accuracy above about 1100 FPS, at all.

You are exactly right. Those are the exact speed limits that I have found in my G20. I have shot a few thousand Berry's. They worked ok for everday range time, and IDPA matches, but not anything warmer. I used to be able to get them for about $85/1000, but not any longer.

I was very happy to come across Powerbond bullets. They are a "copper bonded" bullet with much more substantial copper than Berry's or Rainier. I see no reason to buy Berry's or Rainier since the prices are not any better for either.

You can order PB in quantities of 500 for a little over $120/1000 shipped. Pull together a group buy and they are much less. I got my last order for $100/1000 for 180 gr FPs. Mix and match to get to a group order quantity. Contact Matt@powerbondbullets.com for more info.

http://www.powerbondbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBOS&Product_Code=40FP180&Category_Code=40

I have loaded about 1500 of them since spring with GREAT results. I have worked up 180s to close to 1200 fps thus far with solid groups. They like Blue Dot and Accurate #9. Longshot has not grouped as well for some reason. I intend to keep working up velocities to see if I can find their speed limit. It is on the list of projects. I have lighter test loads with Accurate #5 and medium load workups with Accurate #7. I'll report on those when I get to run them over the chronograph. The #5 loads should replicate the "FBI Load" for a lightweight plinker.

Here is another kicker: With Berry's, I had to take due care when reloading them to protect the plating; i.e. give a very generous bell, seat and crimp in separate steps, seat out to 1.26", and keep velocities at 1050 or less. Otherwise groups went to crap with occasional keyholing. No such kid glove treatment needed for Powerbond bullets. They are a vastly superior bullet in my opinion. They load and shoot like jacketed bullets. Matt at Powerbond said to use load data for FMJs whereas Rainier and Berry's must be downloaded.

drew02a
07-13-2012, 08:12
Thanks for the heads up on Powerbond!

Peter M. Eick
07-15-2012, 11:06
Sounds like the same problem I had with Berry's. I quit using all of the cheap clone bullets and went with either casts or "name brand".

Breadman03
07-15-2012, 11:20
I saw the same issue in my G35. With the longer barrel, my 35 runs faster then my 29. My start load was accurate, but the groups quickly opened up to the point that I couldn't hit a paper plate at 25 yards. I am a good enough shot to know it was the load, confirmed with how well other bullets shot in e same session.

I'll use Rainier for plinking, but they sure aren't for hard working loads.

OhioGlockMan
07-30-2012, 11:21
Whats with all the bad results people have with Rainier bullets? Personally I have had very good results up to 1500 FPS with the 155's in 10mm and they have saved me a ton of money! . Thing is though I bell out the brass case enough so as to be certain no distortions will occur on the plating, then just a super light taper crimp, just enough to get rid of the flare, no more and no less. I have talked to the techs at Rainier and they told me they personally use them in their own guns with real hot full house loads in 44 magnum too. They also told me the secret is to not disrupt the plating in loading process. They said someone is making factory loads with their bullets at 2000 FPS too. You know .22 LR bullets go at speeds at 1200-1400 an have plating way way thinner, and my .22 LR barrels don't get any leading and great accuracy.