Do you carry a voice or video recorder in case of an encounter with LE? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a voice or video recorder in case of an encounter with LE?

RussP
07-12-2012, 11:41
This topic was discussed briefly in another thread.

I made it a poll so you could respond anonymously if you want.

skyboss_4evr
07-12-2012, 11:45
Negative.

BamaBud
07-12-2012, 11:51
Nope, but I've thought about getting one.

I don't even have a smartphone, but the possibility of being jammed up for doing nothing has me concerned.

What is the old saying: "Those with the most, have the most to lose."

tomcon
07-12-2012, 12:10
I conceal carry and do not carry a recorder.

Indiana requires a license to carry (LTC) if you want to carry off of private property. I just assume you will be asked for ID if your handgun is seen. If the Officer does not approve of open carry I will comply to reasonable requests and file a complaint later.

I do open carry when hunting but prefer to conceal in Urban areas.

Unistat
07-12-2012, 12:20
I CC 98% of the time. The 2% of the time when I OC it is because I'm going into a PFZ and in Michigan you can OC in a PFZ with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL.)

At no time am I carrying a recorder for the specific purposes of recording encounters with LEOs. I've never felt the need nor do I anticipate a need.

That said, my phone has a widget that will start the audio recorder right on the home screen. I guess I could use that in a pinch if I really had to.

HerrGlock
07-12-2012, 12:24
I'm carrying a recorder about 100% of the time, two most of the time. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use the recording feature of my phone. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of encountering a LEO.

That doesn't seem to be an option in your poll.

Brian Lee
07-12-2012, 15:01
None of the poll answers really fits me.

I'm not even slightly concerned with recording encounters with LEO because never in my life had I had the least bit of trouble getting along with them and being treated well by them in return.

But in the woods & on trails I carry a shirt pocket recorder that takes video too, but it's not for cop encounters - it's in case I need to shoot a "non-cop" weirdo and don't want to go through the whole George Zimmerman treatment due to no witnesses.

concretefuzzynuts
07-12-2012, 15:07
If you carry a cell phone, chances are you carry a recorder. Audio and video.

NMPOPS
07-12-2012, 15:27
NO, I am not in the slightest concerned about a LEO encounter.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

SPIN2010
07-12-2012, 15:32
I carry a voice recorder for work and situations all the time, just like a weapon. This act of "Recording" has saved my butt on the job four times now ... amazing how when an employer decides to do something shady that shade will encompass you until you send them a voice snipet. The Department of Labor (DOL) seems to really enjoy the voice recordings too in making a decision on labor cases.

ZombieJoe
07-12-2012, 15:43
In IL it is a felony to video/voice record a LEO with out first asking permission.

...so no.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock_9mm
07-12-2012, 15:45
I'm awaiting my CA CCW, but I will not carry a recording device with me. If it turns out that I do need one, my cell phone does record video.
Scott

Cream Soda Kid
07-12-2012, 16:03
I carry my weapon concealed only, I also carry a recording device. I trust no one strange to me, regardless of their position.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

NEOH212
07-13-2012, 02:36
I CC and don't carry a recording device. I can't even think of a reason why I would want to carry a device like that.

If I felt that I needed to carry concealed video/audio recording equipment like that, I would be rethinking whatever it was that I was about to do since needing equipment like that while carrying a firearm spells trouble or that someone is about to get into some kind of trouble, or is out looking for trouble in my opinion.

Concealed carry. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of trouble.

YMMV. :wavey:

Misty02
07-13-2012, 05:55
I conceal carry and donít carry a recorder but can see the possible benefit of carrying one, not necessarily for LE interaction, but for general interactions where conflict may arise and to document an accident/incident. If I ever do decide to carry one I would have to (first) research and understand the laws that govern recording conversations and the like in Florida.

Many years ago I was involved in an auto accident that if the officer wouldnít have taken my word over the word of the other person I might have been charged with the accident. He admitted to it once I came out of my vehicle but had a different story once the officer got there. If it had gone the other way it would have been to my benefit to have what he originally said recorded. I believe I would have needed his permission or at least have informed him I was recording at the time if I had such a device though.

My phone has the ability to take pictures and video. I have taken pictures with it before (not often) and it takes me forever (each time). Hey, I just tried it and took a few seconds of video! I better research the laws on recording others in case I ever see the need to use it. The question remains, would I remember that I can record the interaction if I need to?

RyanNREMTP
07-13-2012, 06:52
I carry a recorder for dealing with idiots that are not police officers.

fuzzy03cls
07-13-2012, 08:15
No. But I have a dash cam in my car.

G26AZ
07-13-2012, 09:34
None of the poll answers really fits me.

I'm not even slightly concerned with recording encounters with LEO because never in my life had I had the least bit of trouble getting along with them and being treated well by them in return.

But in the woods & on trails I carry a shirt pocket recorder that takes video too, but it's not for cop encounters - it's in case I need to shoot a "non-cop" weirdo and don't want to go through the whole George Zimmerman treatment due to no witnesses.

Don't worry about George Zimmerman - that was in the city. Google the name Harold Fish in AZ and read about what he has gone thru since he had to use his 10mm to defend himself while hiking in Arizona.

ZO6Vettever
07-13-2012, 09:49
CC and don't have a recorder. I would like to carry one not so much for LEO encounters but in case of an incident that could escalate. It could prove my need to use deadly force. Zimmerman might not have his ass on a burner if he had one. My problem is I can hardly use the remotes for all the TV stuff. I'm an analog man in a digital world.

FFR Spyder GT
07-13-2012, 10:08
I carry my weapon concealed only, I also carry a recording device. I trust no one strange to me, regardless of their position.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

+1

I have an iPhone 4S that's with me 24/7.

JBP55
07-13-2012, 15:14
Carry Concealed and carrying a recorder never crossed my mind.

Deaf Smith
07-13-2012, 17:50
Being...

a) clean cut
b) 'pillar of society'
c) Don't drink, do drugs, or other crap like that.
d) live in Texas

I've never had a hard time with any LEO I've encountered. Never groveled or begged either. I was polite but then so were they to me. I find that goes along way with dealing with people.

Got a ticket? yep.

Been let off with a warning? yep.

Searched? nope.

Been asked to let them search? nope (and I'd tell them NO, but I've never had to.)

Threatened with an arrest? nope.

And I've been stopped by city cops, sheriff's deputies, DPS...

BUT, that might change if I went up NORTH or EAST. And then I would record the conversations.

And that might change if I looked like a crumb... or drank, or did drugs, or had a mouth... but I don't and I won't.

Deaf

snubfan
07-13-2012, 18:59
I said yes only because I carry a smartphone but the whole recording thing never really crossed my mind until I came across this thread. I don't get this whole concern over police contact but I haven't been pulled over in almost a decade so maybe things are different now.

Dalton Wayne
07-13-2012, 19:06
I treat the police with respect and always get treated with respect, never needed a recorder

HKLovingIT
07-13-2012, 20:07
Nope, not consciously but I guess technically yes since I have a smart phone. I don't know how to use it. It's smarter than I am. I answered no.

During my last random encounter with a police officer I rolled a 19 on 1d20. I made my saving throw and only got a written warning for improper lane change. :wavey: But I was wearing my mystical fishing hat of +5 "Good Ole Boy" so that probably had a hand in the outcome.

[For those interested - the officer was wearing his hat, and he was open carrying a G22, but he wouldn't take it out and let me check it out or anything cool like that.]

Armchair Commando
07-13-2012, 22:22
My droid has a widget with a voice recorder on it, But it came from the store like that! Never felt the need to use it for anything though!

Cavalry Doc
07-14-2012, 14:29
Conceal carry only, have an iPhone. It has a video recorder and an audio recorder app. Camera too. Not carrying it to try to catch something illicit on others though. It's good for taking casual pics and short movie clips. Haven't used the audio recorder much at all.

The only time I've had encounters with LEO's in the last several years, has been when they were my customer, not the other way around.

Bruce M
07-14-2012, 15:03
I don't generally carry a gun openly but I have to openly carry my video recorder

http://www.labguysworld.com/vtr017.jpg

I have been thinking of upgrading to one those modern one piece units

http://hpbimg.marcelstvmuseum.com/sony%20betamovie%20bmc-200p%20totaal%2001.jpg

hotpig
07-14-2012, 15:12
We have a crack pot in the St Louis area that records his contacts with the Police. He claims he gets harassed and that is why he records.

He actually bates the police into making contact. He parks in dark areas at night out side of closed businesses. When a victim comes along on patrol he acts like these you tube morons you see screwing with the cops. He did get lucky one night and harassed a rookie into threatening him. The rookie got fired and the idiot got some cash and more motivation to be a idiot.

GRIMLET
07-14-2012, 15:12
As an leo, feel free to record me. Chances are, I'm recording you.

For those who wish to record my encounters with arrests, feel free also. I might have to seize your phone for evidence if it turns into resisting or some secondary violation of the law is found while you are recording me. The recording will NOT be deleted. The device and its recording will be used as evidence against the suspect. You can try to get it back after getting a mitimus from court or after the suspects trial is over.
Thanks for watching out for me..

PettyOfficer
07-14-2012, 15:40
Each state has very specific recording laws: and I'm not talking about just recording police.

The big caveat is secretly recording, so don't make it a secret and you can't violate most laws (again, not referring to recording law enforcement).

In some states it's illegal to record a person without their permission, in others only two people need to be aware... Just like gun laws, it's all over the board.

It's yet another one of those 'states rights' BS laws where you grow up learning the laws and if visiting family in another state you could be committing a serious misdemeanor!

Like filling your gas tank by yourself in Oregon. (has that been repealed yet?)

jdavionic
07-14-2012, 21:30
I OC and CC, and I suppose you could say I carry a video recorder. I carry a cell phone that has that capability. However I don't carry the cell phone for that reason. I'm not out to play "gotcha" games with the police and I have not had any encounters with them that would suggest I need to be concerned with taking a video of an encounter.

Caver 60
07-14-2012, 22:27
I CC, but I don't carry a recorder or have any hi tech device that could be used as a recorder. But I have thought about getting something along those lines.

I just can't justify the expense solely for that purpose. The last time I was stopped was about 1978. Time before that was 1967. I just don't seem to have much interaction with LEO's, except for family and friends.

kenpoprofessor
07-14-2012, 22:49
We have a crack pot in the St Louis area that records his contacts with the Police. He claims he gets harassed and that is why he records.

He actually bates the police into making contact. He parks in dark areas at night out side of closed businesses. When a victim comes along on patrol he acts like these you tube morons you see screwing with the cops. He did get lucky one night and harassed a rookie into threatening him. The rookie got fired and the idiot got some cash and more motivation to be a idiot.

And why is that a problem, hunting over bait? Cops do it to the gen pop all the time. Ever heard of Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge?

I OC almost everywhere I go, don't carry a recorder, I live in AZ.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

RJ's Guns
07-14-2012, 23:30
I carry a handgun concealed whenever I leave home. I have never had a problem with any police officer and I do not feel that I have the need to record a LEO. I am a retired litigation attorney and I treat all LEOs with politeness and courtesy. I believe that they are just trying to do their job and I treat them as I would want to be treated if the situation was reversed. I know the law and try my utmost to obey it, I know my rights and most important I know when to keep my mouth shut. I try to keep a low profile and not give any LEO any reason to focus on me.

Furthermore, it is my policy that if I am approached by an LEO, I immediately advise them that I am armed and ask them how they wish me to proceed. Their job is tough enough as it is, I do not want to present them with any more problems.
RJ

JuneyBooney
07-15-2012, 00:35
I think it may be a good idea but I do not carry a recorder. I conceal carry to prevent "soccer mom" nerves.

Drain You
07-15-2012, 07:12
Uh, lol, no.

Unless you count my Android phone that can record sound while doing a video, but because it is a touchscreen is is basically useless for anything like that.

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 07:23
I'll tell you what's funny about this is that if you begin to watch some judge shows on tv. You will inevitablely come across a case involving an LEO and a civilian where the stop was recorded. In a few cases I've seen parts of the conversation mysteriously distorted or cut out all together. I don't carry any recording devices, but it is something to consider if you are somewhat paranoid.

Lior
07-15-2012, 09:00
A tin foil hat with a built in camcorder sounds like a good invention here.

But seriously, I conceal if I am around folks who may not be easy with guns and when I am out of uniform. The places that I intend to open carry in are airfields and shooting ranges.

Of course, my phone can record, but I have never practiced drawing it from its pocket, fumbling through the menus, aiming and hitting the Record button before a LEO can cover 21 feet.

Bruce M
07-15-2012, 11:49
A tin foil hat with a built in camcorder sounds like a good invention here.

:rofl::rofl:

mknpwr
07-15-2012, 11:57
And why is that a problem, hunting over bait? Cops do it to the gen pop all the time. Ever heard of Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge?

Clyde

Never been treated badly by LE. Been stopped by local, military, state, federal, warned, ticketed. Never been disarmed, treated rudely or even so much as looked at sideways by any of them.

Never been baited, or even had a reason to think I will ever end up in a Ruby Ridge type event. No reason to get paranoid about the cops. :upeyes:

Sharky7
07-15-2012, 12:29
I'll tell you what's funny about this is that if you begin to watch some judge shows on tv. You will inevitablely come across a case involving an LEO and a civilian where the stop was recorded. In a few cases I've seen parts of the conversation mysteriously distorted or cut out all together. I don't carry any recording devices, but it is something to consider if you are somewhat paranoid.

huh? Please list an example.

Those in car camera recordings are done with software and hardware from outside companies that have literally hundreds of safe guards against tampering.

If a wireless microphone is out of range from the patrol car - it is what it is. It's not mysterious, it's called reception range.

Kaybe
07-15-2012, 13:24
I CC and have a recorder in the car. Having been an LEO in the past, the way some of them act anymore, I just don't trust the ones I don't know personally. The recorder would be great for evidence against the criminals-Zimmerman case is a great example. I just can't see myself going through the phone menu, hitting buttons and trying to get things right by the time the situation starts. I have it to make phone calls with. Officers have the equipment available to record themselves interacting with the public. A bit expensive, but it may cover the backside later.

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 13:35
huh? Please list an example.

Those in car camera recordings are done with software and hardware from outside companies that have literally hundreds of safe guards against tampering.

If a wireless microphone is out of range from the patrol car - it is what it is. It's not mysterious, it's called reception range.

As I said, watch some court tv for examples. Going from crystal clear to distortion to crystal clear when the officer has not moved from the person's car is mysterious to me. And those "outside" companies are the ones that maintain speed and light cameras, so I don't put much stock in that.

coqui33
07-15-2012, 13:46
In IL it is a felony to video/voice record a LEO with out first asking permission.

Not so. See ACLU v. Alvarez (http://backintyme.com/rawdata/guns/videotaping/alvarez.pdf) (May 8, 2012).

bucky_925
07-15-2012, 13:55
Maybe I'm just naive but the few times I have been stopped (under 3) while CC'ing the conversation went something like this. You were speeding - me, yes sir- officer please slow down.

I fully believe that a good officer knows what he is dealing with, within several seconds of a encounter. Soooo No I've never had a problem.

AZL
07-15-2012, 14:45
Heck no!

I carried a recorder for my encounters with civilians! One on the dash (standard on all our cruisers), and a voice recorder in my pocket!

The practice saved my career when I was falsely accused of calling an african american man the N-Word on a traffic stop. He also claimed I pulled him over because of his ethnicity.

I pulled him over because he had NO working lights in the back of his vehicle (brake lights, tail lights, or turn signals).

Personally...I don't give a flip if someone recorded me on the job. If you do the job right, you have NOTHING to worry about and if you want to have your recording entered as evidence, and the judge allows it...it will do nothing but corroborate my statements regarding the incident. It must be time stamped and unedited for courtroom purposes, but chances are it would never get that far once the prosecutors or the judge listened to or viewed it.

AZL
07-15-2012, 14:50
Maybe I'm just naive but the few times I have been stopped (under 3) while CC'ing the conversation went something like this. You were speeding - me, yes sir- officer please slow down.

I fully believe that a good officer knows what he is dealing with, within several seconds of a encounter. Soooo No I've never had a problem.

AMEN!

If you let the officer know you are carrying: Good practice. Chances are...you win the attitude contest, and get a warning.

"Officer, I just want to let you know I have a legally concealed firearm. It is (insert location here). Here is my driver's license and my permit. What would you like me to do next?"

The above statement, even to a rookie, does NOT sound like "I GOT A GUN!".

For me...as long as you weren't DUI or running over kids in a crosswalk...the next thing you would hear from me would be..."Great, thanks for letting me know. As long as your license and registration are okay...you are free to go, have a nice night."

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 14:52

I'm all for that as well. To me it shows respect for his/her safety.

AZL
07-15-2012, 15:08

Clyde

The tragedies at Ruby Ridge and Waco weren't perpetrated by COPS. They were perpetrated by feds. Feds aren't "cops". They are federal law enforcement officials...different animal all together. Cops work in the communities in which we live. Feds work in communities where they are ASSIGNED and have no stake in those communities, other than as a way point to a bigger and better, sexier assignment.

If you will note...local cops and local sheriffs did ALL they could to stop the feds from pulling their dog and pony shows. Randy Weaver's wife was murdered by the FEEBS for carrying an "assault baby", and Waco never would have happened if the sheriff had been given TIME to sort it all out.

You want to blame someone for Waco and Ruby Ridge...look at Clintoon and Reno. Don't blame cops.

AZL
07-15-2012, 15:10
As an leo, feel free to record me. Chances are, I'm recording you.

For those who wish to record my encounters with arrests, feel free also. I might have to seize your phone for evidence if it turns into resisting or some secondary violation of the law is found while you are recording me. The recording will NOT be deleted. The device and its recording will be used as evidence against the suspect. You can try to get it back after getting a mitimus from court or after the suspects trial is over.
Thanks for watching out for me..

Amen brother...I wish I'd seen your post before I put in MY reply.

Be safe.

RussP
07-15-2012, 16:51

ClydeThe tragedies at Ruby Ridge and Waco weren't perpetrated by COPS. They were perpetrated by feds. Feds aren't "cops". They are federal law enforcement officials...different animal all together. Cops work in the communities in which we live. Feds work in communities where they are ASSIGNED and have no stake in those communities, other than as a way point to a bigger and better, sexier assignment.

If you will note...local cops and local sheriffs did ALL they could to stop the feds from pulling their dog and pony shows. Randy Weaver's wife was murdered by the FEEBS for carrying an "assault baby", and Waco never would have happened if the sheriff had been given TIME to sort it all out.

You want to blame someone for Waco and Ruby Ridge...look at Clintoon and Reno. Don't blame cops.

Let's get back on topic, please.

steveksux
07-15-2012, 17:02
I don't have room for a recorder in case of an encounter with LE.

I tend to stock up on common sense and common courtesy instead.

Everyone is of course free to carry whatever they think will be most effective.

Having said that, there have been a few areas where local departments have been harassing OCers carrying legally. If there's a genuine problem where the local cops are misinterpreting preemption and trying to enforce their own ordinances, there are cases where it could be called for. While it is not unheard of, those cases and cities are very few and very far between.

Randy

CharlestonG26
07-15-2012, 17:04
I carry concealed and don't find it necessary to carry a voice recorder. Guess I could use my cell phone if I ever thought I needed to help document something.

I previously lived in a state that has a very active open carry initiative. They love to hold group public events and carry recorders. Given the fact that it is a 'shall issue' concealed carry permit state...I always thought that these 'activists' were engaged in attention seeking behavior that actually does more harm than good for 2nd Amendment rights.
'

Misty02
07-15-2012, 17:06
So far it seems most donít carry a recorder, at least not for the purpose of recording LE interaction. Iím also comforted in the thought that Iím not the only one that would take way too long to figure out how to record with my phone to make it useful if needed. :supergrin:

SFla27
07-15-2012, 17:13
I treat the police with respect and always get treated with respect, never needed a recorder

^This^

JuneyBooney
07-15-2012, 23:43
I'm carrying a recorder about 100% of the time, two most of the time. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use the recording feature of my phone. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of encountering a LEO.

That doesn't seem to be an option in your poll.

Your response sounds like me. I don't even like reading all the manuals that come with the phone. :whistling:

Chris Brines
07-16-2012, 03:07
If you have a smartphone, you have a voice recorder. There's an app for that lol....takes 2 minutes to set up. I've decided that if I ever find myself approached by police, I'm recording it. The other day 2 thugs followed me down a freeway screaming obscenities at me because I "cut them off" (traffic was at a dead stop in the middle of the city, I merged from an on ramp onto a freeway). I heard a horn and saw a guy giving me the fingerS and screaming A-hole at me.

So I opened up the box and grabbed the G26, and had it within my immediate reach, just in case, because where I live, they don't just talk smack, people will shoot you and not think twice about it. I was seriously considering recording the incident, just in case it "escalated" (not like Raul Rodriguez's version of escalation), since I thought they were going to follow me.

They were black, I am white, and could you imagine what the headlines on that SD shooting would have looked like? I'd have been the next GZ, seriously.

Which is why I wanted it recorded to show I was not in the wrong, I did everything I could to defuse the situation, if I ended up having to do what I pray I never have to do, and that is shoot someone so that I may live to see another day. Thank God, they didn't follow me.

They did make it a point to pull next to me merging onto another freeway and let me know how they disapproved of my driving (I did nothing wrong, but that's not the point, I still honestly have no clue what the guy was so mad about). I just turned, looked at him, (with shades on) didn't smile, smirk, make a face or say a word, then looked back at the road and kept driving.

ABACABB
07-16-2012, 05:34
Nope, not consciously but I guess technically yes since I have a smart phone. I don't know how to use it. It's smarter than I am. I answered no.

During my last random encounter with a police officer I rolled a 19 on 1d20. I made my saving throw and only got a written warning for improper lane change. :wavey: But I was wearing my mystical fishing hat of +5 "Good Ole Boy" so that probably had a hand in the outcome.

[For those interested - the officer was wearing his hat, and he was open carrying a G22, but he wouldn't take it out and let me check it out or anything cool like that.]

Am I the only one nerdy enough to get this? Back on topic. I CC and don't carry a recording device because if I get pulled over I'm pretty sure it's because I did something stupid. Luckily I have only been pulled over once and that was for stupidly driving in the HOV lane by myself.

Chris Brines
07-16-2012, 06:19
Am I the only one nerdy enough to get this? Back on topic. I CC and don't carry a recording device because if I get pulled over I'm pretty sure it's because I did something stupid. Luckily I have only been pulled over once and that was for stupidly driving in the HOV lane by myself.

I don't get it but I'd sure like an explanation. I'd still record the incidents, the only way police are going to stop abusing their power, is if they have some deterrent. Being broadcasted across the nation as an abusive cop is never a good thing.

Police abuse of power is a crime in itself, and kinda like carrying guns as a deterrent to crime, recording police (nowadays, I know this is a fairly new trend, but definitely effective), will also be a deterrent.

It's not about if you did something wrong the police are still supposed to talk to you and treat you like a grown man and/or woman and a human being, and much of the time they don't do that.

ABACABB
07-16-2012, 06:30
I don't get it but I'd sure like an explanation. I'd still record the incidents, the only way police are going to stop abusing their power, is if they have some deterrent. Being broadcasted across the nation as an abusive cop is never a good thing.

Police abuse of power is a crime in itself, and kinda like carrying guns as a deterrent to crime, recording police (nowadays, I know this is a fairly new trend, but definitely effective), will also be a deterrent.

It's not about if you did something wrong the police are still supposed to talk to you and treat you like a grown man and/or woman and a human being, and much of the time they don't do that.

He was using Dungeons and Dragons terms. When I was growing up, and I did something dumb, I was talked to like I was dumb. Maybe people are getting their feelers hurt too much now a days but it seems like this is a lesson our children seem to be missing.

steveksux
07-16-2012, 19:00
If you have a smartphone, you have a voice recorder. There's an app for that lol....takes 2 minutes to set up. I've decided that if I ever find myself approached by police, I'm recording it. The other day 2 thugs followed me down a freeway screaming obscenities at me because I "cut them off" (traffic was at a dead stop in the middle of the city, I merged from an on ramp onto a freeway). I heard a horn and saw a guy giving me the fingerS and screaming A-hole at me.

So I opened up the box and grabbed the G26, and had it within my immediate reach, just in case, because where I live, they don't just talk smack, people will shoot you and not think twice about it. I was seriously considering recording the incident, just in case it "escalated" (not like Raul Rodriguez's version of escalation), since I thought they were going to follow me.

They were black, I am white, and could you imagine what the headlines on that SD shooting would have looked like? I'd have been the next GZ, seriously.

Which is why I wanted it recorded to show I was not in the wrong, I did everything I could to defuse the situation, if I ended up having to do what I pray I never have to do, and that is shoot someone so that I may live to see another day. Thank God, they didn't follow me.

They did make it a point to pull next to me merging onto another freeway and let me know how they disapproved of my driving (I did nothing wrong, but that's not the point, I still honestly have no clue what the guy was so mad about). I just turned, looked at him, (with shades on) didn't smile, smirk, make a face or say a word, then looked back at the road and kept driving.
Some people just don't seem to understand why the "Merge" sign is placed BETWEEN the right lane and the entry lane instead of the right side of the entry lane. You are BOTH supposed to cooperate to merge. If you don't want to let anyone in your lane, get the hell out of the merge lane. That's what it's there for.

If it turns out I'm wrong about that, then that other guy in the right lane can unkiss my ass. :whistling:

Also, it turns out this needs to be said too. Merge means alternate cars. It doesn't mean merge into the car next to you, like "two become one" when you get married. You'd think that was obvious, but if you watch some people trying to merge, it seems they try to merge INTO the cars already on the freeway, rather than IN BETWEEN the cars already on the freeway. People in the right lane act like they never expected to have a car coming off the entrance ramp, never bothered looking, and ditto for the cars entering the freeway, like they can't believe there was a car already on the freeway.... Its kind of amazing to watch them drift towards each other, then suddenly its all brake lights and middle fingers flashing at the last minute before they collide... :rofl:

Randy