As a LEO, How do you know? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : As a LEO, How do you know?

Fixer0967
07-12-2012, 13:04
http://www.wfsb.com/story/19008621/state-police-shoot-kill-man-on-route-8-in-torrington

I am not a LEO, but I AM curious how a LEO makes the decision to either taze or shoot. What guidelines are put forth to follow regarding this? It all happens so fast, it has to be so difficult in that split second to decide what to go to!

Regarding the story referred to above, it is my opinion that the LEO responded correctly. Is my opinion on par? Or, should he have gone for the tazer?

Thank you

Mas Ayoob
07-12-2012, 19:55
The TASER is useful for many situations. A guy advancing on you with a lethal weapon is not one of them.

best,
Mas

RussP
07-12-2012, 20:31
Folks, just a reminder that Mas is here to answer your questions about Self-Defense.

Please limit your questions to that topic.

If you want to ask about police procedures, please do so in the Cop Talk Forum.

Thanks...

RussP

Fixer0967
07-13-2012, 06:44
Folks, just a reminder that Mas is here to answer your questions about Self-Defense.

Please limit your questions to that topic.

If you want to ask about police procedures, please do so in the Cop Talk Forum.

Thanks...

RussP

Apologies Russ,

This was a tough one. Question regarding a cop in a self defense situation. I thought "Cop Talk" may have been reserved for Cops. Or maybe I could post it there too to get other opinions. Thanks for clearing that up. My topic fit more than one forum. Apologies if I posted under the wrong one.

In my opinion, if the poster is not totally off base with where he posts, a little latitude would be great. The response of being off topic and to imply that I may have put Mr. Ayoob in a situation to answer an off topic question seems uncessesary in my case. The situation I presented IS a self defense situation involving a LEO. There is NO ONE BETTER to answer this question than Mr. Ayoob since he is an expert on both counts.

Mas, if I put you out by asking this question here I apologize.

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2012, 07:14
No apologies necessary, bro.

You and Russ simply looked at it from slightly different perspectives, and I've got no problem with either of you on it.

Best to both,
Mas

RussP
07-13-2012, 08:28
As Mas says, "No apologies necessary." I'll add "absolutely" to his words.

My post, while following your post, was not meant as personal criticism of you. It's why I used the word, "Folks."

I do understand your reason for asking. It is valid. It does, however, crack open the door to other questions more specifically dealing police operations and policies that belong in Cop Talk.

Cop Talk is open to all. The description of the forum is "Here is a forum where LEO's can talk shop, or issues concerning law enforcement or law enforcement officers can be posed." In this post by Eric, What This Forum Is Here For - Read This If You Post Here (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622412), he goes on to say, "I created this forum as a place for cops to talk shop and for non-cops to be able to interact with cops and hopefully create some common ground." Heck, they even let me post there.

Your observation about Mas Ayoob's qualifications to address issues both law enforcement oriented and non-law enforcement oriented is exactly why we invited him to moderate this forum.

I look at these issues from all sides and make the best call possible from those observations. I hope you understand better now why I made my comments to the broader audience.

Stay Safe...

RussP

Fixer0967
07-13-2012, 12:19
Thanks Russ! I learn something new every day about Glock Talk thanks to gentlemen like yourself who are willing to take the time to explain to noobies like me!

Your time spent responding to me and guiding me is very much appreciated!

Thanks so much again!