Gun store policy? Am I wrong? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun store policy? Am I wrong?

itstime
07-12-2012, 18:26
Here goes. Look in a local ad and they have HK USP40 for $459.99. Police trade 3 mags and night sights.

The pic shows a gun with the safety lever on it. I call and ask if they had any set up for a lefty per chance. Guy says they have 6 and all were the same. Oh well.

I find time to drive a half hour there anyway. The one in the case is a compact and is LEM. Huh

I'm standing there and there is one salesperson and one customer looking at various guns.

I wait my turn and ask the guy if in fact all the guns on question were the same. (full size lever turned into compact LEM)

He goes back and comes back and says they have 12 and were all the same with one in hand that was 5 years newer production date.

I ask if I could look at all the date codes at least and pic from the newer ones thinking the sights were newer. He says why not.

Brings them out and we go through them. They all came in a cardboard box and all I was doing with the salesperson is open the box lift the gun up vertically and check the code.

I had to teach him the codes btw but we were just chatting it up. He didn't care noe the other customer. Good guys btw.

All of a sudden a guy comes out of the back loudly staing I can't check every single gun out and get fingerprints on them. Used police trades remember.

I told him I'm getting one and was just getting the one I want. He says his customers don't want finger prints on their guns.

Now the other customer stated he wasn't buying a gun today and fondled two higher dollar new guns.

No problem there.

I just said you lost a sale and walked out. I really wanted it due to price but that ticked me off.

The rest of the big store had maybe 3 other people in it.

Do you think I was asking or expecting too much? I did ask the salesperson before if it was ok and he said he didn't care. Other people have done it.

Rant over.

countrygun
07-12-2012, 18:31
without knowing the layout of the store and other details, I could see a manager getting a tad nervous about a clerk hauling out a "box o' guns" for a customer. My LGS will let me fill the counter if the place isn't busy, but they know me real well.

carbuncle
07-12-2012, 18:31
Stuff like that really gets under my skin, I'd have done the same thing. No big scene, but no sale and I wouldn't be visiting them again.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Thumpernator
07-12-2012, 18:41
All of a sudden a guy comes out of the back loudly staing I can't check every single gun out and get fingerprints on them. Used police trades remember.

WOW!! Used guns with no fingerprints in a box. Wonder who cleaned all those guns? :whistling:

I like your style.

TxGlock9
07-12-2012, 18:41
There are a lot of gun shop owners/managers that are ****** bags out there that I've noticed. If I were you I would never go there again and move on with life.

tazbigdog
07-12-2012, 18:57
Sounds like the guy was pissed. Who cares, if it was a great buy, buy it and don't go back. Good luck!

garya1961
07-12-2012, 19:05
Sounds like the guy was pissed. Who cares, if it was a great buy, buy it and don't go back. Good luck!
this +1

fairtomidland
07-12-2012, 19:05
There are a lot of gun shop owners/managers that are ****** bags out there that I've noticed. If I were you I would never go there again and move on with life.

I have noticed the same, its hard to even get service when im def buying. I agree dont buy move on...

garya1961
07-12-2012, 19:13
There is a guy at a local shop I go to that I thought was really stuck up, not friendly at all. I said something to a LEO friend of mine and he told me the guy was hard of hearing,lol. I wear hearing aids myself and since I discovered he couldn't hear we have become faily good friends.

The_Gun_Guru
07-12-2012, 19:38
People suck.

It's America....CS is foreign to most businesses these days. Just be thankful that they spoke English. THAT is becoming foreign as well.

Good luck out there! :supergrin:

TGG

glock2740
07-12-2012, 19:42
People suck.

It's America....CS is foreign to most businesses these days. Just be thankful that they spoke English. THAT is becoming foreign as well.

TGG
:rofl:Good post.

TxGlock9
07-12-2012, 19:59
People suck.

TGGGotta agree with that!

WiskyT
07-12-2012, 20:18
The guy was a dick. But, I wouldn't want all of those guns out like that either. It's a common way to steal things. People do it all the time in jewelry stores. It distracts the clerk and allows the thief to drop one in a backpack, pocket etc.

TxGlock9
07-12-2012, 20:23
The guy was a dick. But, I wouldn't want all of those guns out like that either. It's a common way to steal things. People do it all the time in jewelry stores. It distracts the clerk and allows the thief to drop one in a backpack, pocket etc.
Understood but these are pistols not tiny tiny pieces of jewelry that can be balled up in the palm of someone's hand. I don't know exactly know how the situation went down but if the clerk let him look at a HK one box at a time while the others were on the ground/desk behind him I don't see what the big deal is...

I own a store myself and understand you're perspective.

WiskyT
07-12-2012, 20:42
Understood but these are pistols not tiny tiny pieces of jewelry that can be balled up in the palm of someone's hand. I don't know exactly know how the situation went down but if the clerk let him look at a HK one box at a time while the others were on the ground/desk behind him I don't see what the big deal is...

I own a store myself and understand you're perspective.

It seems to me that the manager/owner that came from the back wasn't looking at it from a loss point of view, so the OP is right, the guy was a hump. You're also right that is it was done right, theft would be pretty tough to pull off. The manager could have come out, and kept an eye on things and made sure only one gun at a time was on the counter etc.

I'm just saying if I was the manager, I wouldn't want a box of guns spread out on a counter.

fnfalman
07-12-2012, 22:56
I wouldn't have spent my hard earned money at that joint either, and I don't care how cheap the damn used guns are.

I've had a bunch of guns laid out in front of me for inspection before purchase. They were all brand stankin' new too.

rednoved
07-12-2012, 23:15
I would have walked out too. I wouldn't spend a penny there every again. Unless the OP was eating some greasy nachos while handling the guns, I don't see the big deal. It would take all of five minutes to wipe the finger prints off of the guns. I think I could take five minutes out of my day to wipe them if it means I made a sale.

Mr. Blandings
07-12-2012, 23:55
I worked in a few different FFL retailers and always provided the customer the pick of the litter with batches of trade-in guns.

While I, or the owner, sometimes had the "Gosh we spent a lot of time making that sale" thought - it was just considered part of doing business.

I have known some FFL retailers who are not so accommodating. Some of them run very successful business, and others not so much so.

panzer1
07-13-2012, 00:17
Sounds like the guy was pissed. Who cares, if it was a great buy, buy it and don't go back. Good luck!No way would I buy it. Why give this guy your money if he is going to be an a-hole! Sorry not me. I would pay more some where that I am not talked to like a dirt bag if that what I had to do.

panzer1
07-13-2012, 00:23
The guy was a dick. But, I wouldn't want all of those guns out like that either. It's a common way to steal things. People do it all the time in jewelry stores. It distracts the clerk and allows the thief to drop one in a backpack, pocket etc.Well that's not the buyer's problem is his salesman. If he had a problem with it he should have pulled his salesman a side & said something to him NOT THE BUYER! IMO.

NEOH212
07-13-2012, 02:21
People suck.

TGG

I vote that this post gets nominated for the post of the year!

:goodpost: :wavey:

oldnoob
07-13-2012, 09:33
NOT to defense the gun shop, for I have done CS for over 10 years in retail. And I think there was better way to deal in the situation like this. But most vendor that specialize in police trade in or C&R do charge extra for hand select. Add on the sale price from $10~20.

I do agree their salesman and manager needs some training on gun knowledge and CS skill.

Decguns
07-13-2012, 10:03
In a gun shop or at a gun show, 99% of you guys handling guns don't buy anything. You get your greasy finger prints all over the guns, which have to be routinely wiped off by the staff because the acid in your sweaty palms causes surface rust in short order. In any given day, there's a dozen guys who want to sort through every gun in the back room looking for perfection or for certain factory codes and such.

Now, we often try to accomodate you fellows looking for the best out of 50 used Sigs or Mosin Nagants. There's always that guy, and you know who you are, looking for the perfect wood stock on our entire inventory of lever action or bolt action rifles. When you're done, I have to spend the next 30 minutes wiping your finger prints off and rewrapping them in the factory boxes. Hauling out a bunch of pistols for you to sort through is a recipe for us getting robbed... These are controlled items. There's a reason why we keep them locked under glass and chained in the racks. They have a tendancy to walk off if we don't.

If you don't like the customer service at a gun shop... get an FFL and start your own.

TxGlock9
07-13-2012, 10:50
:upeyes:

glockaviator
07-13-2012, 11:32
If you find the gun you want and can buy it, buy it. Sometimes you have to put up with rude salesmen. Would be better if they were all polite and understanding, but hey, the world's not perfect.

When I bought my Sako TRG 22 (high end), the salesmen told me he could tell I was an inexperienced shooter, he put the gun away and walked away. I had to go get him and tell him I wanted to buy the gun, would he please start the paperwork and sell it to me. Who gives a **** what he thinks. I got the product I wanted.

fnfalman
07-13-2012, 11:38
If you don't like the customer service at a gun shop... get an FFL and start your own.

Or take the money and spend it at another shop.

CBennett
07-13-2012, 12:19
Wow, Remember back when all those used P6's were around...I went to gander mountain..said i was interested said I didnt really want a heal release one he said they had both types(which I knew as they had both types in their used gun case...guy says we have a whole bunch out back...if I slow down or the other guy comes back here you can go in back with me and pick out any one you want....of course like a MORON I bought a .22 pistol for me and the kid instead lol..even though I went there for a P6 lol...never did get one :( missed out on those and the great deals on the Steyr a few years back..only think ive lucked out on lately is I DID get a AK B4 they jumped way up in price got it for $369 but thats the ONLY deal ive gotten lately..

I think id have also went to a different shop and then done just what you have let others know their shoddy business practices..

M&P Shooter
07-13-2012, 12:29
I had a store salesman tick me off before with a bad, cocky attitude and I told him to keep the gun. He ask me if I was serious and I told him "maybe if your not so cocky you could sell more guns" Before I left owner called me over and asked what happened and I told him. Owner sold me gun, ammo and holster at a discounted package deal and he apologized for the other guy. I go to this store a lot now and the jerk and me are very cool now and I never even thought about it until reading this thread.

zhix
07-13-2012, 12:46
Pretty much all gun shops I have been to suck. Now I'm buying most items on-line and just have them transferred. And I don't care anymore about "supporting a local brick and mortar' business" crap. If a shop wants my business they need to:

-know at least as much as I know about the item if it's something you stock

-not give me an extremely biased opinion unless I ask for it

-not tell me that x gun is better than y gun just because that's what they have/ stock

- not tell me the price of a gun or transfer is now $20-$50 more depending on what day of the week it is

- not want more for something used than I can get it for new

-not mark a ridiculous price and then offer $50/$100 off so stupid people will think it must be a good deal

The_Gun_Guru
07-13-2012, 14:09
There's a reason why we keep them locked under glass and chained in the racks. They have a tendancy to walk off if we don't. So do customers if you're nor nice to them!

Let's see....

wipe off a few fingerprints or lose a sale? Hmmmmmmm:dunno:

That is a tough decision.

TGG

gocubs6
07-13-2012, 15:18
Well, they guy may have been a jerk. But, if it was a super great buy, I probably would have bought it. My philosophy is that if it was a great deal, he will sell them anyway. I might as well get the good deal.

JuneyBooney
07-13-2012, 23:08
If the guns were used I see no problem with what you did at all. If they were new and you were field stripping them all that might be different.

adamg01
07-13-2012, 23:34
In a gun shop or at a gun show, 99% of you guys handling guns don't buy anything. You get your greasy finger prints all over the guns, which have to be routinely wiped off by the staff because the acid in your sweaty palms causes surface rust in short order. In any given day, there's a dozen guys who want to sort through every gun in the back room looking for perfection or for certain factory codes and such.

Now, we often try to accomodate you fellows looking for the best out of 50 used Sigs or Mosin Nagants. There's always that guy, and you know who you are, looking for the perfect wood stock on our entire inventory of lever action or bolt action rifles. When you're done, I have to spend the next 30 minutes wiping your finger prints off and rewrapping them in the factory boxes. Hauling out a bunch of pistols for you to sort through is a recipe for us getting robbed... These are controlled items. There's a reason why we keep them locked under glass and chained in the racks. They have a tendancy to walk off if we don't.

Get an FFL and start your own business if you don't like the service at one particular gun shop? What a toolish statement.

hogship
07-14-2012, 03:07
It's easy to have "hindsight" in things like this.........but, there is no good reason you have to handle the gun yourself......the salesman can do it, and then wipe it down. There is also no good reason why you can't have your pick of what's available. If the manager was interested in making the sale, getting the date codes isn't that big of a deal......so, I'm asking myself if there was some reason why he didn't want you to see the date codes, and the finger print thing was just a diversion.......?

I think you did right by announcing the manager had just lost a sale, and walking out. You'll find something else you'll like, somewhere else.

ooc

eracer
07-14-2012, 04:43
I despise customers. They want us to show them a camera, let them touch it (the NERVE!) and then clean it off and put it back on the shelf. Almost like we have to work for a living or something.

I tell ya'...

Bren
07-14-2012, 05:45
So the typical Glock Talk gun store experience seems to be: "hi, I'm a newb - I don't look, act or talk like a shooter or part of the shooting subculture, so I'm probably not likely to buy, but I'd like to handle all your guns, have you treat me like a buddy and then tell you I'm nervous because the muzzles in the display case are turned toward me...I'm also angry that you won't let me OC a loaded gun in here."

I would never have the patience most of the gun shop owners show you guys. Guess what, if Mr. Rogers stops by the FUBU store, they're not going to take him serious either.

eracer
07-14-2012, 05:54
So the typical Glock Talk gun store experience seems to be: "hi, I'm a newb - I don't look, act or talk like a shooter or part of the shooting subculture, so I'm probably not likely to buy, but I'd like to handle all your guns, have you treat me like a buddy and then tell you I'm nervous because the muzzles in the display case are turned toward me...I'm also angry that you won't let me OC a loaded gun in here."

I would never have the patience most of the gun shop owners show you guys. Guess what, if Mr. Rogers stops by the FUBU store, they're not going to take him serious either.Why is an unlaoded gun any different than a shirt I can try on in a department store?

Why shouldn't I be able to handle any gun I MIGHT buy?

You sound like a Brady Buncher... "Oooh...guns are dangerous, and we can't let people handle them if they're not, like, super experts and stuff."

purrrfect 10
07-14-2012, 05:58
People suck.

TGG

The guy was having a bad day, I would have said give me a rag I will wipe them off as I go. Yea if the guy was that much of a d_ _ _ after telling him you want to buy one. I would not go back and fine another place to shop and spread the word about that shop to every other shop around.
LIVE IS GOOD
Don't let the little things get you down

WiskyT
07-14-2012, 06:01

I would never have the patience most of the gun shop owners show you guys. Guess what, if Mr. Rogers stops by the FUBU store, they're not going to take him serious either.

Close. The typical gun store experience goes something like this:

Typical GTalk Member-Hi! I've been shooting and reloading for nearly 40 years. I see you have a police trade in G19 for $900.00. Can I take a look at it?

Typical GStore Owner-Whah, are you crazy?!?!? That's a customed tuned tactical assault pistol that the government only allows law enforcement to have. Besides, if you touch it, I have to wipe it down and the value of the gun is cut in half!!! Now get the **** out of my store before I come out there with my walker and nasal canula and wheeze you to death!!!

eracer
07-14-2012, 06:06

Typical GTalk Member-Hi! I've been shooting and reloading for nearly 40 years. I see you have a police trade in G19 for $900.00. Can I take a look at it?

Typical GStore Owner-Whah, are you crazy?!?!? That's a customed tuned tactical assault pistol that the government only allows law enforcement to have. Besides, if you touch it, I have to wipe it down and the value of the gun is cut in half!!! Now get the **** out of my store before I come out there with my walker and nasal canula and wheeze you to death!!!:rofl:

SIGMA 40
07-14-2012, 06:08
People have bad days...Sounds like that manager was one of them..I wouldnt let that guy being a ****** ruin your chance at a good deal...Go back, get your gun and say goodbye...I myself have been to a few shops where some salesmen felt it a bit to much to be polite but I chalked it up as me being the 100th person he dealt with that day and his patience was prolly thin...The best one I go to is in Columbus, Oh and almost all the gun guys are former military or police and work real well with about every customer. I bought my first gun there and that gentleman walked me through step for step till I found the one I liked...Good people who will always get my business...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bren
07-14-2012, 07:02

If you think that's a typical GT memebr, you haven't ben paying attention.

How about:
Typical GTalk Member-Hi! I've been shooting 6 months and I know I'm doing it right, because I learned from Nutnfancy videos on youtube, but I got one of those defective Gen 4 Glocks that won't feed except when my buddy shoots it, so I want to trade it for whatever guns the Swedish special forces use. Do you have those? I'll need $450 trade-in value on my Glock.

WiskyT
07-14-2012, 07:06
If you think that's a typical GT memebr, you haven't ben paying attention.

How about:
Typical GTalk Member-Hi! I've been shooting 6 months and I know I'm doing it right, because I learned from Nutnfancy videos on youtube, but I got one of those defective Gen 4 Glocks that won't feed except when my buddy shoots it, so I want to trade it for whatever guns the Swedish special forces use. Do you have those? I'll need $450 trade-in value on my Glock.

There is certainly some of that.

ChicagoZman
07-14-2012, 07:32
The customer is always right. That said, don't let some idiot stand in the way of you getting what you want.