American Guns - Another rant! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American Guns - Another rant!

mixflip
07-12-2012, 21:31
Ok so we have all had complaints about the ridiculousness of some of the projects that they take on at the TV show American Guns.

Last night I laughed out loud when a guy brought in his old Remington 870 hunting shotgun (about a $300 gun) to get some upgrades for home defense.

They charge him $1800 to slap on tacticool parts and do a trigger job!!!

He could have bought the best tactical shotgun on Earth for $1800 and he could have kept the family heirloom in original condition.

Sometimes I think these shows are staged 100% and the people coming in are actually just paid actors because no gun guy I know would take that deal. $1800? Really?

GNut76
07-12-2012, 21:48
But hey it's a free country right?! Sure he could have bought a Rem 870 P, Mossy 590 A1, Or beretta or benneli.....and still went under 1800 bucks. Heck even a tricked out Wilson tactical for maybe less money. Generally like the show myself but he spent too much money and messed with a classic.:wavey:

fnfalman
07-12-2012, 22:48
I'm pissed because Paige barely had an appearance and she had on pants and long sleeve shirt. WTF, over?

cowboy1964
07-12-2012, 23:04
My thought exactly. You can piece together one heck of a nice tactical 870 for well under that.

Just keep in mind this is "reality" TV. In other words: fake.

That was one hell of a nice paint job on that sniper rifle though.

mixflip
07-13-2012, 00:44
I agree. That sniper rifle paint job was absolutely amazing. I couldnt imagine that nice of a gun getting transported in cruisers, in and out of crime scenes, in and out of various armorers, and general SWAT hard use police work without getting dinged and scratched. After al it is a tool and not a publicity gun. (or is it?)

Dalton Wayne
07-13-2012, 01:03
Yes however some guys will pay that price if they can have their mugs featured on a TV show...

bac1023
07-13-2012, 02:31
That does sound ridiculous.

In the end, he still has a gun worth $300.

bac1023
07-13-2012, 02:31
I'm pissed because Paige barely had an appearance and she had on pants and long sleeve shirt. WTF, over?

:rofl:

dpadams6
07-13-2012, 06:14

Agreed. Forget about the guns. Lol

DonD
07-13-2012, 07:24
That was one hell of a nice paint job on that sniper rifle though.

I'd agree, however, $2000+ for a fancy coat to a stock? Sounds like the police chief has more budget money than he needs. Ought to put the money into guns w/o the dressings.

The "money" shot at a refrigerator?? I should hope to shout that they could hit a refrigerator with that gun. Don

IvanVic
07-13-2012, 07:28
Ok so we have all had complaints about the ridiculousness of some of the projects that they take on at the TV show American Guns.

Last night I laughed out loud when a guy brought in his old Remington 870 hunting shotgun (about a $300 gun) to get some upgrades for home defense.

He could have bought the best tactical shotgun on Earth for $1800 and he could have kept the family heirloom in original condition.

Sometimes I think these shows are staged 100% and the people coming in are actually just paid actors because no gun guy I know would take that deal. $1800? Really?

I started ranting to my gf as soon as he quoted the price. Honestly, it's the customers fault. Why would you deface an old, classic 870 when you could just buy a fully decked-out 870 for a fraction of the price?

At some point I have to wonder how many of these transactions are scripted. Although I think that many of the customers are genuine, all of these shows are contrived at some point.

IvanVic
07-13-2012, 07:30

She has a fan page. I thought she came across as personable on the show, but when I discovered fan page, she had posted videos of herself whining about her fan page losing popularity, and begging everyone to keep visiting - quite appropriate for her generation.

oldguynewglock
07-13-2012, 07:31
What's up with that police department ordering a custom built sniper rifle with an expensive custom paint job? I don't know about Colorado but money is tight around here. The Sheriff's department here has a tight budget. If they bought a custom rifle like that the taxpayers would be up in arms! I am all for law enforcement haveing the proper equipment, but a custom hand built one? I don't think so! This must have be staged.

cysoto
07-13-2012, 07:34
I don't understand why folks keep sponsoring this mockery by watching this show week after week... :dunno:

H&K 4 LIFE
07-13-2012, 07:36
The price was ridiculous and made me laugh, but the really sad part was the shotgun supposedly once belonged to the owner's grandfather.

Taking grandpa's old 870 and screwing it up by putting a bunch of lick-and-stick "tactical" crap on it is not cool. :steamed:

He should have bought a used 870 for cheap, modified it himself for HD, and left the old shotgun the way it was. Instead he foolishly ruined something that could have been a family heirloom... and paid a lot of money to do it!

What's up with that police department ordering a custom built sniper rifle with an expensive custom paint job?...

Oh, I especially liked the comment "this rifle has to look better than it shoots." It's a police sniper rifle for god sakes, it may be used to kill someone in order to preserve innocent life. It doesn't need a friggin custom paint job! :upeyes:

B_RAD
07-13-2012, 07:36
I can't watch this show or Sons of Guns. These shows are so obviously staged its not even funny! It kills me when these supposed LE agencies/dept come in wanting some "new type" of firearm or something like that built and if they get it right they'll get some type of contract. They all most mess everything up but just in the nick of time at the very last moment it all goes well. I remember one episode of Sons of Guns where this what they kept calling "Navy Special Forces" unit wanted some type of gun mount system for river boats. If I remember correctly they mounted a m16 to it! The one they built look like a toddler built it. Not to mention that the commanding officer of this supposedly "SF" unit looked like a homeless person they pulled if the streets! This whole thing was bogus. Why would these guys be needed to build stuff like this that already exist? Navy SWCC has got all this under control I promise you that. When I was in the Navy I had interactions with SEALs on several occasions. These guys in this episode were not the real deal. Bogus! American Guns is just as fake.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FLIPPER 348
07-13-2012, 07:50

L ?

Ah, nope. We all do not waste our time with man-drama tv shows.

G36's Rule
07-13-2012, 08:06

That is all you needed to say. The gun was probably one of the TV crew members.

We already know Pawn Stars has used pieces loaned from museums and had production crew bring it in.

Those shows are Soap Opera for men.

Rancher
07-13-2012, 08:07

I must be getting old cause I would rather see Rene! Anyone know if she has a fan page:whistling:?

Rancher

jb1911
07-13-2012, 08:39
I must be getting old cause I would rather see Rene! Anyone know if she has a fan page:whistling:?

Rancher

Renee is more my style too. Paige is about my grand daughter's age.

jb1911
07-13-2012, 08:45
Let's see, do I want to ruin my Grandpa's shotgun for $1700 or keep it like it is and spend around $700 on a tactical model and have two shotguns? I almost puked.

ZO6Vettever
07-13-2012, 08:54

Paige:wow: is 17, JAILBAIT. Worth 7-10, maybe! :dunno:

fnfalman
07-13-2012, 08:59

Not any more. She's legal now.

CarryTexas
07-13-2012, 09:00
What about the collection of full autos he bought? He is not a class 3 dealer so they would all have to be transferable FAs. Didn't the H&K UMP come out after '86? How could that be a transferable FA?

Even if there was $70k for all those including a MP5 SD is a steal!!

TheJ
07-13-2012, 09:03

I thought it was ridiculous as well.
+1

ZO6Vettever
07-13-2012, 09:11
Not any more. She's legal now.

That makes me feel better. I'm sure my thoughts were illegal before! :tongueout:

Jim Watson
07-13-2012, 09:18
I am not a pumpgun fan, but my heart kind of sank when I saw them chop up that nice old Wingmaster.

I'll go you one better on the biker paint job sniper rifle. What civil police department needs a 1000 yard gun?

uptomyneck
07-13-2012, 09:22
Avon, CO has 5500 citizens and the Chief thinks he needs a custom .338. Not only that, they'll buy more for the tactical guys. That's some serious WTF. Here's to hoping the civilians in that area fire that SOB.

Victoriagotagun
07-13-2012, 09:45
I'll go you one better on the biker paint job sniper rifle. What civil police department needs a 1000 yard gun?

The LASD and LAPD both have .50 BMG rifles.

fnfalman
07-13-2012, 09:46
The LASD and LAPD both have .50 BMG rifles.

And the Texas DPS has gunboats.

ronin.45
07-13-2012, 10:48
What about the collection of full autos he bought? He is not a class 3 dealer so they would all have to be transferable FAs. Didn't the H&K UMP come out after '86? How could that be a transferable FA?

Even if there was $70k for all those including a MP5 SD is a steal!!

I was wondering the same thing. My local class 3 range had to buy a pre 86 to rent. They were told that you can't rent a post 86 LE demo gun.

IvanVic
07-13-2012, 11:30
I am not a pumpgun fan, but my heart kind of sank when I saw them chop up that nice old Wingmaster.

How many departments have snipers that are trained to the degree that they could make a 1500 yard shot?

I thought they ruined the gun by putting a bunch of logos, camo and paint all over it. It looked gaudy.

FL Airedale
07-13-2012, 11:41
Yes however some guys will pay that price if they can have their mugs featured on a TV show...

I'd pay more to not have my mug on their TV show.

FL Airedale
07-13-2012, 11:46

Rancher
I agree. Paige is jail bait and not all that pretty. Renee is much hotter.

Paige may look good in 15 to years.

WarEagle32
07-13-2012, 11:51
He was absolutely raped at 1800!! Staged or no it was just stupidity! Could have got a benelli M4 for that and left and went to Ruth's Chris!!

M&P Shooter
07-13-2012, 12:23
Next week on American Guns.......I will take a Hi-Point 9mm and we are going to do a trigger job, make a stainless steel barrel polished to a beautiful shine, make new sights with 1 carrot diamond inlays for the 3 dot system, going to do a American flag paint scheme and finish off with my daughter Paige prancing around the shop in shorts acting retarded. I will also have my son engrave this Hi-Point with the works and charge the customer $2,200

After this sale I am flying off to the mountains to buy guns using cash, silver bars and my daughters hand in marriage to a hillbilly family with bad teeth.

Bflying
07-13-2012, 12:29
Next week on American Guns.......I will take a Hi-Point 9mm and we are going to do a trigger job, make a stainless steel barrel polished to a beautiful shine, make new sights with 1 carrot diamond inlays for the 3 dot system, going to do a American flag paint scheme and finish off with my daughter Paige prancing around the shop in shorts acting retarded. I will also have my son engrave this Hi-Point with the works and charge the customer $2,200

After this sale I am flying off to the mountains to buy guns using cash, silver bars and my daughters hand in marriage to a hillbilly family with bad teeth.

You are obviously up in the night. There is no way on earth you can trick a Hi-Point for less than $5k. Everything looked tantilizing...right up to $2,200. :whistling:

M&P Shooter
07-13-2012, 12:31
You are obviously up in the night. There is no way on earth you can trick a Hi-Point for less than $5k. Everything looked tantilizing...right up to $2,200. :whistling:
I'll tell you what buddy, I'll throw in a poster of my daughter Paige and I'll make you a civil war canon with a shoulder stock and we can shoot exploding targets for around $5,000 or I can just do a trigger job and Dura0Coat a M&P for you for $1,800

GAFinch
07-13-2012, 16:29
What's up with that police department ordering a custom built sniper rifle with an expensive custom paint job? I don't know about Colorado but money is tight around here. The Sheriff's department here has a tight budget. If they bought a custom rifle like that the taxpayers would be up in arms! I am all for law enforcement haveing the proper equipment, but a custom hand built one? I don't think so! This must have be staged.

It was an advertisement for Gunsmoke and for the painting company, whose name they mentioned numerous times. The big logos, big bright blue lines, black barrel and accessories, and high gloss finish defeat the purpose of a camo paint job, but look nice on camera.

IvanVic
07-13-2012, 16:47
This show portrays guns in the same way shows like Million Dollar Listing or Selling New York portray LA and NYC - it's a marketed, gimmicky image that's anything but what the real experience is like.

gocubs6
07-13-2012, 16:50
I know it is fake, but I still enjoy it. My favorite was the episode awhile back where the husband and wife came in looking for two revolvers. He gives them the Wyatt concealment package, which I think is a set of Pacmayar grips and a FO front sight for $750, and sells them his class. Of course, this woman says she hates guns and has never shot a gun before.

Well, they go out to the range for the "first shots." What does she have in her hand, a 1911 .45. Yep, that's the way to give the first time shooter their first experience. Also, I couldn't quite tell, but it looked like a TGO, which is only a $2,000 + gun. I'd say this wasn't her first rodeo.

Glockdude1
07-13-2012, 16:56

What, no Bravia???

:tongueout:

mixflip
07-13-2012, 17:11
Oh yeah and the opening credits have the whole family shooting guns in slow mo...

WITH NO EYE PROTECTION ON!!!

WTF????????????????

M&P Shooter
07-13-2012, 17:14
What, no Bravia???

Listen now your asking for things only few can deliver. The Bravia is only something you'll see on MTV cribs in the houses of the privileged:cool:

Cambo
07-13-2012, 17:14
I'll tell you what buddy, I'll throw in a poster of my daughter Paige and I'll make you a civil war canon with a shoulder stock and we can shoot exploding targets for around $5,000 or I can just do a trigger job and Dura0Coat a M&P for you for $1,800

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

M&P Shooter
07-13-2012, 17:16
The one gun show I loved was Triggers on the History channel with Wil Willis.
Weapons that Changed the World | TRIGGERS - YouTube

mixflip
07-13-2012, 17:55
The one gun show I loved was Triggers on the History channel with Wil Willis.

I really liked his other show too where he would try to take on a group of bad guys by himself. The ship and abandoned hospital were my favorite episodes. I forgot what it was called?

ZombieJoe
07-13-2012, 18:19
That show rocked. Im pretty sure it was Navy seal some thing or other...?

adamg01
07-13-2012, 23:54
I don't understand why folks keep sponsoring this mockery by watching this show week after week... :dunno:

It is obviously staged and made for Tv but I would still watch it over Sons of Guns. Will almost comes off as a moron at times. The abominations they create just screams "What is the ******* point?". When they shot .50 cal. tracers into that dry brush and started the fire, I was done.

mrsurfboard
07-14-2012, 00:11

17 is legal is most states. At least this shop makes guns from scratch. Red Jacket just take a stock gun and adds/modifies parts. Plus the owner of RJ is a bit of a ****** and his daughter is a snagle tooth

IvanVic
07-14-2012, 07:22
Oh yeah and the opening credits have the whole family shooting guns in slow mo...

WITH NO EYE PROTECTION ON!!!

WTF????????????????

The show starts the same way week after week. Family is in a field. Family shoots guns, slow motion, things explode, they cheer and rave. Cut to gun smoke exterior, cut to interior, customer walks in - what follows is a transaction in which the customer is bent over and jackknifed up the rear by a financial locomotive.

aircarver
07-14-2012, 07:49
You guys need to quit making up over the-the-top, facetious stories for AG ....

... 'Cuz they're gonna end up in next weeks' scripts !! ... :wow:

njl
07-14-2012, 08:10

Only sometimes?

1) The show is entirely scripted / fake.

2) The "customers" do not pay the crazy prices they agree to in the script.

Once you come to terms with those realities, you can just watch for the guns and scenery.

IvanVic
07-14-2012, 08:50
Only sometimes?

Once you come to terms with those realities, you can just watch for the guns and scenery.

To be fair, Gunsmoke is a real shop, and they obviously have customers. I'm sure some of them are more than happy to be filmed, and I have no doubt that some of those transactions are real.

Arc Angel
07-14-2012, 09:59
....... Sometimes I think these shows are staged 100% and the people coming in are actually just paid actors because no gun guy I know would take that deal. $1800? Really?

Are certain episodes of these programs staged? Yes! Without question.

Can any of these hot shot video gun guys actually shoot? No! Not by anything I've watched so far.

From everything I've seen on, 'American Guns' Rich Wyatt doesn't pay fair prices on, at least, half of what he takes in. One of these days he's going to really low ball some bored rich guy; and when the rich dude hesitates to dump the stuff he's already got for some more new stuff that he wants to buy, I'm going to see Wyatt offer him a gold plated box of Keebler, 'Pecan Sandies' in order to cinch the deal.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule in Hollywood that any gunsmith who actually knows what he's supposed to be doing with metal and machinery isn't allowed on anybody's gun program? All of these television gunsmiths are little better than mechanical cannibals in the shop. It's, now, gotten to the point where I simply won't watch these programs anymore.

(But, one of my closest friends is a master gunsmith; and, whenever I want to see guns done right, I just drive over to Easton, PA and hang around the shop.)

gocubs6
07-14-2012, 10:41
Are certain episodes of these programs staged? Yes! Without question.

Can any of these hot shot video gun guys actually shoot? No! Not by anything I've watched so far.

From everything I've seen on, 'American Guns' Rich Wyatt doesn't pay fair prices on, at least, half of what he takes in. One of these days he's going to really low ball some bored rich guy; and when the rich dude hesitates to dump the stuff he's already got for some more new stuff that he wants to buy, I'm going to see Wyatt offer him a gold plated box of Keebler, 'Pecan Sandies' in order to cinch the deal.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule in Hollywood that any gunsmith who actually knows what he's supposed to be doing with metal and machinery isn't allowed on anybody's gun program? All of these television gunsmiths are little better than mechanical cannibals in the shop. It's, now, gotten to the point where I simply won't watch these programs anymore.

(But, one of my closest friends is a master gunsmith; and, whenever I want to see guns done right, I just drive over to Easton, PA and hang around the shop.)

It'll never happen. Wyatt has a complete set of 50 bicentennial quarters with each state on the back. That will be just enough. That extra $12.50 will breech the $20,000 difference in price.

Arc Angel
07-14-2012, 11:13
It'll never happen. Wyatt has a complete set of 50 bicentennial quarters with each state on the back. That will be just enough. That extra $12.50 will breech the $20,000 difference in price.

Yup! That's about it. Too frigg 'in funny! :rofl:

njl
07-14-2012, 13:49
To be fair, Gunsmoke is a real shop, and they obviously have customers. I'm sure some of them are more than happy to be filmed, and I have no doubt that some of those transactions are real.

The "show customers" get the guns...they just don't pay the crazy prices you see in the show. It must be great advertising for the shop though...lots of local idiots seeing people pay exorbitant prices...some must think there's a reason and Gunsmoke's stuff really must be worth the $.

nipperwolf
07-14-2012, 15:05
Only sometimes?

It's that simple. Heres a link;

http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11/behind-the-scenes-on-american-guns/

VZ1600
07-14-2012, 15:18
The only gun shows I can stomach anymore are GunTalk and Guns & Gear, both hosted by Tom Gresham.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Dawolf
07-14-2012, 18:33
It is the stupid chopper soap opera but about guns. I watch to see what guns they are doing, but overall too staged like the stupid American Chopper B.S. True bikers don't watch that crap either.

mrsurfboard
07-14-2012, 18:42
Us gun enthusiast should be happy there are so many gun shows on TV. They help gun sales across the US and puts guns in the minds of mainstream Americans. Instead all you guys do is complain. Be happy that guns are popular and on TV.

jb1911
07-14-2012, 19:26
Us gun enthusiast should be happy there are so many gun shows on TV. They help gun sales across the US and puts guns in the minds of mainstream Americans. Instead all you guys do is complain. Be happy that guns are popular and on TV.

Agreed

Sikiguya
07-14-2012, 21:22

I agree completely. Just imagine a show like these in the 90's during the Clinton years. Besides, you guys sound like people who just found Pro Wrestling isn't real either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

et45
07-14-2012, 22:12

Rancher

you know your getting older when you see an 18-25 yr old cutie and the first thought that pops in your head is "damn I bet your mom's hot":wow:

AZL
07-14-2012, 23:27
Yeah....AG is one of those "roll your eyes" shows.

I can't believe the prices he pays for the "collections" from some of those nimrods.

AND...showing up in a helo? Really?

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 03:09
I agree completely. Just imagine a show like these in the 90's during the Clinton years. Besides, you guys sound like people who just found Pro Wrestling isn't real either..

:supergrin: Wait, it's not real??!!

ponchsox
07-15-2012, 05:00
If I have to hear Rich yell "look at that mushroom cloud!" one more time...

Arc Angel
07-15-2012, 05:10

:shocked: Really?

Well, my oh my, aren't you easy to please! So I'm supposed to settle for any gun show crap the organized media wants to foist upon me because any televised gun show is better than no gun show at all - Is that what you're saying?

What if I, as an intelligent and moral gun owner, don't want to be portrayed to the rest of the civilized world as an idiot with a loaded gun in my hands, and a boner for the shop owner's daughter! Is it OK with you if I don't want such a crude Neanderthal stereotype forced upon me?

Another thing: I've been privileged to know several of the finest gunsmiths in America. When it comes to: education, technical knowledge, and skill I swear you could give a hammer and chisel to an orangutan, put him in a televised gun shop setting, and get about equal performance out of the, 'monkey with the hammer' as most of what I've seen in today's television gun programs!

Your complaint reminds me of an analogy to a desperate man in a bar: It's 1:00 AM; the bar is getting ready to close; and there's only 3 ugly women left in the room. So which one do you ask to go home? Maybe you're willing to settle for second or third best when it comes to televised gun show programs; but I'm not. Me? I want the most beautiful, most highly intelligent woman in the room; or I don't want anyone at all. (Been this way all my life; and itís how my best friend from high school still remembers me, too!) ;)

The overall quality, intellectual and moral worth, of today's sudden spate of gun show programs is nowhere near what it really could or should be. If I wanted to watch a soap opera starring a bunch of poorly adjusted odd balls and social losers I've already got programs like, 'The Young And The Restless' or, 'All My Children'. Neither do I need to watch some greaseball garage mechanic putting guns together wrong while he's shagging the shop owner's daughter; and I've, also, got better things to do than watch, 'Little Miss Hot Pants' popping, 'in your face targets' at 5 to 7 yards - All with minimal explanation about, 'How' to safely handle or sight a gun.

I've participated in Boy Scout training programs that handled thousands of students, would have looked a lot better on TV, and taught the general public infinitely more about firearms and how to safely and correctly use them than anything thatís presently on TV. (A possible exception might be one of the outdoor channels.) Screw the melodrama, oddball media personalities, pawnshop gun brokering, and girl chasing. I've got better things to do with both my time and my guns.

As for me? I haven't changed. I'll still take the brightest, best looking woman in the room; or I don't want any woman at all. The same thing goes for televised gun programs. :cool:

4949shooter
07-15-2012, 05:24
How many departments have snipers that are trained to the degree that they could make a 1500 yard shot?

I thought they ruined the gun by putting a bunch of logos, camo and paint all over it. It looked gaudy.

Gaudy and unprofessional. I wouldn't want my guys to have to explain to a jury how and why they shot and killed the decedent with a 1000 yard sniper rifle dressed up with silly logos.

As an aside, they did mention the chief wanting the ability to shoot through an engine block. Though, this type of concern is usually valid for agencies having the potential to deal with terrorism (NYPD, LAPD / LASD as mentioned). The USCG, or other agencies with maritime police responsibilities (NJSP/TX DPS) may want this ability to shoot through the engine block of a sea going vessel.

WoodenPlank
07-15-2012, 07:19

Well, my oh my, aren't you easy to please! So I'm supposed to settle for any gun show crap the organized media wants to foist upon me because any televised gun show is better than no gun show at all - Is that what you're saying?

What if I, as an intelligent and moral gun owner, don't want to be portrayed to the rest of the civilized world as an idiot with a loaded gun in my hands, and a boner for the shop owner's daughter! Is it OK with you if I don't want such a crude Neanderthal stereotype forced upon me?

Another thing: I've been privileged to know several of the finest gunsmiths in America. When it comes to: education, technical knowledge, and skill I swear you could give a hammer and chisel to an orangutan, put him in a televised gun shop setting, and get about equal performance out of the, 'monkey with the hammer' as most of what I've seen in today's television gun programs!

Your complaint reminds me of an analogy to a desperate man in a bar: It's 1:00 AM; the bar is getting ready to close; and there's only 3 ugly women left in the room. So which one do you ask to go home? Maybe you're willing to settle for second or third best when it comes to televised gun show programs; but I'm not. Me? I want the most beautiful, most highly intelligent woman in the room; or I don't want anyone at all. (Been this way all my life; and itís how my best friend from high school still remembers me, too!) ;)

The overall quality, intellectual and moral worth, of today's sudden spate of gun show programs is nowhere near what it really could or should be. If I wanted to watch a soap opera starring a bunch of poorly adjusted odd balls and social losers I've already got programs like, 'The Young And The Restless' or, 'All My Children'. Neither do I need to watch some greaseball garage mechanic putting guns together wrong while he's shagging the shop owner's daughter; and I've, also, got better things to do than watch, 'Little Miss Hot Pants' popping, 'in your face targets' at 5 to 7 yards - All with minimal explanation about, 'How' to safely handle or sight a gun.

I've participated in Boy Scout training programs that handled thousands of students, would have looked a lot better on TV, and taught the general public infinitely more about firearms and how to safely and correctly use them than anything thatís presently on TV. (A possible exception might be one of the outdoor channels.) Screw the melodrama, oddball media personalities, pawnshop gun brokering, and girl chasing. I've got better things to do with both my time and my guns.

As for me? I haven't changed. I'll still take the brightest, best looking woman in the room; or I don't want any woman at all. The same thing goes for televised gun programs. :cool:

Sir, you deserve a round of applause for this post. VERY well said.

Unfortunately, the current crop of firearm-related reality shows are driven by two things - the desire to appeal to the lowest common demoninator, and the (sometimes thinly) veiled desires of some of the producers to make gun owners look like buffoons.

Dawolf
07-15-2012, 08:25

Unfortunately, the current crop of firearm-related reality shows are driven by two things - the desire to appeal to the lowest common demoninator, and the (sometimes thinly) veiled desires of some of the producers to make gun owners look like buffoons.

:agree:
I will third that.

Arc Angel
07-15-2012, 09:16

:wavey:

You have a way with words! In one terse paragraph you have, 'hit the nail, squarely, on the head.' If there's one thing I hate it's being played for a fool by the very clever people who own and run television broadcasting. Leopards don't change their spots. All that's happening now is the popular desire to own guns and go armed is being managed (and misdirected) into a less than ideal public image.

Simply stated in, perhaps, the same way you would say it: I don't want to see national television broadcasters redefine American gun owners in much the same way as the American soldier was redefined for the world during Vietnam. It's now 2012 and we need to be smarter than that! ;)

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 13:41

Your complaint reminds me of an analogy to a desperate man in a bar: It's 1:00 AM; the bar is getting ready to close; and there's only 3 ugly women left in the room. So which one do you ask to go home? Maybe you're willing to settle for second or third best when it comes to televised gun show programs; but I'm not. Me? I want the most beautiful, most highly intelligent woman in the room; or I don't want anyone at all. (Been this way all my life; and it’s how my best friend from high school still remembers me, too!) ;)

I've participated in Boy Scout training programs that handled thousands of students, would have looked a lot better on TV, and taught the general public infinitely more about firearms and how to safely and correctly use them than anything that’s presently on TV. (A possible exception might be one of the outdoor channels.) Screw the melodrama, oddball media personalities, pawnshop gun brokering, and girl chasing. I've got better things to do with both my time and my guns.

Blah, blah, blah very good, you don't seem to understand anything. The gun shows that are on TV now are what will play to the masses, plain and simple. You probably want a boring, technical geek gun show. Guess what, no one will watch it except gun geeks. Why do you think all the great computer tech networks, ZDTV comes to mind, they went bust. They have to put on what the people want. Shows like AG, SOG and Top Shot have put guns on the map. People watch them and want to get into shooting that have never considered doing so before. That's good for our sport and for changing the minds of politicians who want to ban our guns. So i repeat, it is a good thing. You are obviously a snob, so go back to your reloading press and let the masses enjoy the Renaissance of shooting and firearms ownership.

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 13:46

Maybe SOGs, but I think that has a lot to due with people's prejudice towards southerners.

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 13:59
This show makes absolutely no attempt to make it seem like anything other than a scripted tv. I'd much rather see reality than some stupid cliffhanger before each commercial break.

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 14:19
This show makes absolutely no attempt to make it seem like anything other than a scripted tv. I'd much rather see reality than some stupid cliffhanger before each commercial break.

Real "reality" does not equal successful TV. Stick to Youtube if you want to watch a dry video about some gun guy, or want to be gun guy talking specs.

AZL
07-15-2012, 14:21
LOL....just comfort yourselves with the fact that sooner or later Paige and her Mom will either be in Playboy...or an internet sex tape scandal.

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 14:25
Real "reality" does not equal successful TV. Stick to Youtube if you want to watch a dry video about some gun guy, or want to be gun guy talking specs.

To each his own, but to me there is nothing entertaining about watching a gun sitcom. I'd rather learn something about guns, not if the daughter is getting a new tattoo at the gun shop.

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 14:58
To each his own, but to me there is nothing entertaining about watching a gun sitcom. I'd rather learn something about guns, not if the daughter is getting a new tattoo at the gun shop.

Stick to youtube then, like I said.

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 15:01
Stick to youtube then, like I said.

Go boss someone else around.:upeyes: My opinion of the show is just as valid as yours.

Arc Angel
07-15-2012, 17:14
Blah, blah, blah very good, you don't seem to understand anything. The gun shows that are on TV now are what will play to the masses, plain and simple. You probably want a boring, technical geek gun show. Guess what, no one will watch it except gun geeks. Why do you think all the great computer tech networks, ZDTV comes to mind, they went bust. They have to put on what the people want. Shows like AG, SOG and Top Shot have put guns on the map. People watch them and want to get into shooting that have never considered doing so before. That's good for our sport and for changing the minds of politicians who want to ban our guns. So i repeat, it is a good thing. You are obviously a snob, so go back to your reloading press and let the masses enjoy the Renaissance of shooting and firearms ownership.

:upeyes: You're very free with words! No, I'm not a snob; I'm an idealist, specifically a spiritual idealist; and there is a difference.

Listen, 'Mr. Know It All', I've already had my stupid internet gun forum argument for today. So, tell you what: I'm going to let you ride on this one. If I remember (and I'll try) I'll catch up with you in a future thread and return the insult. OK!

Let me just add this: I sure hope you're not the best we've got because if you are, then, American gun owners are screwed for sure! (Which we might be anyway, so no matter.) :supergrin:

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 17:36
Go boss someone else around.:upeyes: My opinion of the show is just as valid as yours.

Relax, wasn't bossing you around, just giving advice on where to find the material you like to watch.

FL Airedale
07-15-2012, 17:47
you know your getting older when you see an 18-25 yr old cutie and the first thought that pops in your head is "damn I bet your mom's hot":wow:

:rofl: Then I amofficially OLDER.

Glock_9mm
07-15-2012, 17:49
:popcorn:

Sikiguya
07-15-2012, 20:39
Yes, Hollywood is where we should trust getting honorable programming. Next thing you know, you expect the same from Congress.

Dawolf
07-15-2012, 20:46

I would rather watch Hickok45 than the over priced bickering American guns. So good advice.:thumbsup:

matt_lowry123
07-15-2012, 20:56
Does anybody know what stock was on that 338 that was painted??

mixflip
07-15-2012, 21:09
Gun shows dont have to be dull and boring to be accurate and entertaining.

The Gunny had several TV shows that easily filled the entertainment aspect and the educational aspect.

Triggers and Weaponology and Future Weapons are fun gun shows.

The outdoor channel has great gun shows like The Best Defense Survival and American Rifleman.

Good gun shows can be produced. The history channel just chooses not to make them.

mrsurfboard
07-15-2012, 21:26
I would rather watch Hickok45 than the over priced bickering American guns. So good advice.:thumbsup:

So would I.

joecoastie
07-16-2012, 04:32
Gun shows dont have to be dull and boring to be accurate and entertaining.

The Gunny had several TV shows that easily filled the entertainment aspect and the educational aspect.

Triggers and Weaponology and Future Weapons are fun gun shows.

The outdoor channel has great gun shows like The Best Defense Survival and American Rifleman.

Good gun shows can be produced. The history channel just chooses not to make them.

Exactly, there is no reason that a show about guns has to be dry and technical or stupid like American Guns and Sons of Guns. Look at Top Gear (the British version), they take a topic that is often made boring and make it interesting to a wide audience without resorting to buffoonery like American Guns and Sons of Guns.

TheExplorer
07-16-2012, 05:20
Relax, wasn't bossing you around, just giving advice on where to find the material you like to watch.

:wavey: I'm just saying, you can watch the outdoor channel and get some good entertainment as well, not youtube. Peace.

GLOCK17DB9
07-16-2012, 05:51
Not so reality tv staged for America!:dunno: