Winchester Ranger-T [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger-T

AZ Cat
07-13-2012, 07:44
Mas,

First of all, let me echo what so many others have said and thank you for not only your incredible contributions to this site but for your overall efforts to increase the knowledge anyone who is interested in protecting themselves and their loved ones. Your work is greatly appreciated.

I've read many of your posts here regarding SD ammunition choices and it seems as if their are three rounds that you consistently recommend: Winchester Ranger-T, Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot. It also appears to me that you tend to favor the Ranger-Ts slightly more than the other two. Understanding that ammo choice can be a little subjective and depends somewhat on what the specific firearm "likes", can you offer some insight as to why you prefer the Ranger-T (if indeed this is the case)? I'm specifically interested in your thoughts on Ranger-T vs. HST in both .40 S&W (165 gr) and .45 ACP (230 gr).

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2012, 16:41
Being old and conservative in this regard, I go with stuff I have street feedback on. There's lots of feedback on the HST 230 grain .45 in +P (it's awesome!) but I haven't run across a single shooting yet with the standard pressure version. I like a 230 grain standard pressure for my personal use (functionally identical recoil to cheaper generic hardball, ditto point of aim/point of impact), and I've seen no better standard pressure 230 grain .45 ACP than the Winchester Ranger-T in terms of field results.

In the .40, all the feedback I have on HST is the 180 grain load (may well be the best in that bullet weight), and while feedback on Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington Golden Saber in 165 grain, I haven't run across a single HST .40 shooting in that bullet weight.

We're all creatures of our own knowledge from wherever we got it, bro. Probably explains why there are so many diverse opinions on Caliber Corner. :supergrin:

best,
Mas

AZ Cat
07-13-2012, 16:54
Mas,

Thank you for the response. Your access to actual field results is awfully valuable to those of us who have no/limited personal "real world" experience.

Looking forward to taking one of the MAG classes one of these days...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2