Can anyone tell me about this Surefire AR15 light? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about this Surefire AR15 light?

LOCHFAL
07-13-2012, 18:55
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u297/lochfal/DSC00058.jpg

Hi all, I wasn't quite sure where to post this so hopefully general firearms is going to be ok.

I've got this Surefire flashlight that came off an AR I bought and I think it's an early model as I can't find anything comperable available anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone knows the model # and maybe a used value on it. It works great but has a few little scuffed places at the corners etc.

Dang I was going to post a pic but I'm pretty well inept at that. This flashlight has an offset head, takes two CR123 batteries, has an integral clamp that fixes it onto the front sight base of an AR15 type front sight tower and a pigtail with pressure switch coming out from the rear of the battery area. I'm still going to try to post a picture here but have to learn how first. Sorry.

MrMurphy
07-13-2012, 19:55
I don't know the actual model, but that's about 20 years old.

WoodenPlank
07-13-2012, 20:29
I don't know the actual model, but that's about 20 years old.

Sounds about right.

VERY oldschool light. Surefire doesn't even list the early-to-mid 90s lights in the discontinued section of their website.

It would likely only have any value to someone that's a SERIOUS collector of lights, or someone that's trying to build an early 90s M4 clone of some kind (think Mogadishu era).

LOCHFAL
07-13-2012, 20:40
Thats too bad, it really is a nice light. My only problem with it is it won't force light far enough for coyote hunting. It's fine in the barnyard out to say 75 yds or so but past that it gets tough. I'm planning on getting something a bit more agressive for my next trip out.

WoodenPlank
07-13-2012, 20:43
Thats too bad, it really is a nice light. My only problem with it is it won't force light far enough for coyote hunting. It's fine in the barnyard out to say 75 yds or so but past that it gets tough. I'm planning on getting something a bit more agressive for my next trip out.

It might be possible to get an LED head that will work in it. However, there are various ways to get VERY nice Surefire lights onto an AR for $200 or so, depending on current rifle configuration.

badge315
07-13-2012, 20:48
Looks like a model 676 from the Surefire's 1st gen modular component system, similar to this...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Guns%20-%20Shooting/CIMG8462.jpg

I would guess they went for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300 when new.

I knew hanging onto this old Surefire catalog was going to pay off one day. :supergrin:

LOCHFAL
07-13-2012, 20:56
Looks like a model 676 from the Surefire's 1st gen modular component system, similar to this...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Guns%20-%20Shooting/CIMG8462.jpg

I would guess they went for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300 when new.

I knew hanging onto this old Surefire catalog was going to pay off one day. :supergrin:

Yep I'm glad you did hang onto it. That looks just like this guy but I'm pretty sure your image is of one with a laser instead of flashlight. Thanks for the info.

MrMurphy
07-14-2012, 04:05
Yeah. I've seen some, even a few mounted, but I had no idea what the model number would be.

For a current replacement look at the single-stage G2X Pro LED, it'll do well for most work. If you're going for extreme ranges, the newer Fury's might be worth a look, they're in the 500 lumen range IIRC.