10-1mm load questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10-1mm load questions

Yondering
07-13-2012, 22:22
First off, I know this should probably go in the general reloading section, but there are a few of you 10mm loaders here who I trust to be knowledgable about "outside the box" loads, and I'd like your input.

I just picked up a Glock 19 (gen 4, FDE), and while I've reloaded some 9mm in the past, I haven't learned about it anywhere close to the level of my 40, 10mm, and 45 loads. I'm interested in duplicating Underwoods +P 115 and 124gr JHP loads (and maybe the +P+ stuff?). These are 115gr @ 1300 fps and 124gr @ 1225 fps.

Obviously I'll be increasing OAL to whatever fits the gun (1.160-1.170"?). What 9mm powders do you guys recommend? I've got a pretty big selection on my shelf, and am currently using AA7 for a 115gr JHP @ 1230 fps from the G19, but don't mind buying another powder if I need to. Got any good recipes?

I won't be blasting tons of these down the barrel, mostly just want to see what this thing can do. You 10mm guys know what I mean...

countrygun
07-13-2012, 22:34
Just off the top of my head it seems to me that HS6 might be worth looking at.reen, red and blue.

I've never worked at those load levels but it seems to me I have put a mental "flag" in my brain file about those powders if I wanted to.

ETA, I could be out in left field and I don't have any of my manuals handy at the moment.

WeeWilly
07-13-2012, 22:52
HS6 will probably get you close.

For the 124gr Blue Dot will likely make it, but the case will be VERY full, lots of crunch when seating.

My favorite powder for 9mm is VV-3N37, great velocity, burns really clean and meters as well as #9, the bad news is it is really expensive.

dm1906
07-13-2012, 23:40
I load a couple hundred of these a week, mostly target lead (100, 124 LRN), and some 124 gr. SJHP mixed in. I don't load/shoot many 147's anymore, maybe a few hundred a year. You shouldn't have to use the max. COL of 1.169" unless getting into the long 147 gr. HP or non-lead bullets. 1.010-1.040" within 100 to 124 gr. typical target bullets, and respectively longer with HP's (except the long TC's and SWC's, which can be .020" longer within their weights). I do not recommend SWC's, due to common chambering issues. The nice thing about loading 9's, is the looong bullet pull allowance, which allows most minor load adjustments to be made with just the COL.

Red Dot, Unique, Power Pistol, AA5, HS6, and 3N37 are good for target rounds and lighter bullets. Bullseye for light target only (very economical). HS7, N350, AA7, 3N38 and Blue Dot are better for heavier rounds, or full power (+P, +P+) rounds (in that order, low to high). I do not recommend Green Dot for 9mm. Try it if you want, but I've experienced very inconsistent timing issues with it in several different loads, bullets and guns. Too finicky to mess with, and no warning until you load a bunch.

As usual for target type rounds, Red Dot, followed closely by Unique, are the most economical. Unique can be a little smoky with light charge rounds, but cleans up perfect when loading higher power. Red Dot is Red Dot. Good performance, but more difficult to meter the small charges consistently, similar to .38 spl. If you want to get into the ozone, don't go any faster than 3N38, up to AA7. Blue Dot performs best, but it's a big flash for the 9. Lots of gas for a comp, if you have one.

If all else fails and you have a keg of it, W231 is a very good go-to powder for most light, medium and moderate rounds. Very clean, meters precise, but is more expensive per round than the other fast powders.

WeeWilly
07-14-2012, 01:06
Also forgot, a lot of the guys like Auto Comp for Major 9. I think something in the low 7 grs will get you where you want to be with the 124's, more for the 115grs.

I load all my 9's to 1.145" with the exception of XTP's and Precision Delta JHP's as they have the same type of sharp shoulder and TC style ogive. At 1.145" some of my 9's hang up with that shoulder in the throat. I go to 1.130" for those.

Fire_Medic
07-14-2012, 08:27
I use WSF in 9MM to duplicate the Nato round with 124gr FMJ, it meters great and burns clean.

WSF as I have posted elsewhere has become my favorite powder for 9MM, 40SW, and 45 ACP, and I used off everything else I had and only use it now.

For the first time in quite some time there will be another powder on my bench now that I am getting into 10MM, and I ordered Long Shot.

I use 5.2gr of WSF with the 124gr CMJ from Montana Gold, OAL= 1.125" with CCI SPP, and once fired range pickup brass. Works like a charm.

Meathead9
07-14-2012, 08:46
WSF is my absolute favorite powder for 9mm, after trying Titegroup, 231 & WST as well. I load 4.7gr under a 124gr JHP @ 1.10" as my target/USPSA Production Class load, and it's soft shooting an extremely accurate. You can load all the way up to +P with WSF too (6.2gr seems to be the sweet spot). I have read that shorter OAL's with 124gr JHP's is much more accurate in Glocks, so I'm testing that out right now.

Here's a link to a thread a started about WSF & +P loads:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417124

_The_Shadow
07-14-2012, 08:47
Don't over look Power Pistol for the 9mm I have loaded some great rounds for my BIL and his Ruger P85 that I sold him!
Caliber-9-MM Auto
Case- Mixed Brass Primer-CCI Small Pistol
Powder-Power Pistol 6.6grs
Bullet-Remington 124 grain Jacketed Hollow Point .355”Dia.
Velocity - 1235 fps

Yondering
07-14-2012, 11:45
Thanks guys. I found this thread, http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411686 where member PghJim (http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=45235) tested some Underwood +P+ 124gr Gold Dot loads. On page 3 there is a picture of the powder from the +P+ 124gr load, 6.6gr of a ball powder, that someone speculated is WSF.

Any thoughts?

WeeWilly
07-14-2012, 12:36
Thanks guys. I found this thread, http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411686 where member PghJim (http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=45235) tested some Underwood +P+ 124gr Gold Dot loads. On page 3 there is a picture of the powder from the +P+ 124gr load, 6.6gr of a ball powder, that someone speculated is WSF.

Any thoughts?

The powder in the picture sure looks like WSF. 6.6gr seems like a pretty stout load. I get some primer flattening in the high 5's with PD 124gr JHP's, albeit with WSP primers which are pretty soft.

Here are a couple pictures I had of WSF:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/Bill_Steele/003-5.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/Bill_Steele/001-8.jpg

Yondering
07-15-2012, 12:43
WeeWilly, thanks for the pictures. Hard to tell for sure what that powder is, but WSF seems right, based on the pictures and the charge weight. Sounds like a hot load for sure.

I'm surprised that a slower powder wouldn't be a better choice for a load like that; does 6-something grains of WSF come close to using all the case capacity? Yesterday I was able to get 1300 fps with a 115gr JHP using 9.7gr of AA7, which seems to shoot pretty well with low flash.

WeeWilly
07-15-2012, 17:04
WeeWilly, thanks for the pictures. Hard to tell for sure what that powder is, but WSF seems right, based on the pictures and the charge weight. Sounds like a hot load for sure.

I'm surprised that a slower powder wouldn't be a better choice for a load like that; does 6-something grains of WSF come close to using all the case capacity? Yesterday I was able to get 1300 fps with a 115gr JHP using 9.7gr of AA7, which seems to shoot pretty well with low flash.

I ran down and did a quick full case check and to the rim of the case mouth there is a little over 10grs of WSF (at least with the case I grabbed). So call 6.7grs 67%. In the high 6's I would be able to seat my 124gr PD JHP's and still have a little breathing room.

I agree on the slower being a potential better choice, but then I am always suprised how well PP does in the 10mm's. I always seem to be loading slower powders than everyone around me.

Yondering
07-15-2012, 19:51
OK, so WSF is quite a bit bulkier than something like AA7. I'm surprised, since ball powders are usually pretty dense.

I often wonder about the use of faster powders in a lot of loads. I wonder if a lot of it is habits formed by using old Lyman data. Lyman's handgun load data tended to spec a lot of powders that were too fast for the application; I'm not sure why.

Any Cal.
07-16-2012, 00:44
The fast powders aren't really at a disadvantage until the bore is more than three inches long or so. In extremely short barrels, they get enough area under the curve that they can outperform slower powders. In the short barrels, pressure is king, more so than burn rate.

I have read that in revolvers w/ less than two inch barrels, nines can outperform a threefiftyseven.

nickE10mm
07-19-2012, 16:51
I always hear Power Pistol for 9mm ... no firsthand experience though. Seems like it would be perfect from how it works with light 10mm loads...

Yondering
07-19-2012, 21:39
I've tried Power Pistol, but get better accuracy with AA7 in the 9mm.