Anyone have a Rohrbaugh R9? Are they worth the money? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Rohrbaugh R9? Are they worth the money?

WarEagle32
07-13-2012, 23:11
I am a pocket pistol junkie. I have and have had a lot of them. I have never even got to hold a Rohrbaugh R9 nor is there anywhere around here in rural AL to try one. I keep looking at them online, and I think a 13oz 9mm that is setup to specially handle the recoil is as sweet as it gets in theory, and I'm tempted and curious. Those of you that have them. Are they worth the money?

RJ's Guns
07-14-2012, 00:16
I have had an R9s for several years. I carry it most of the time. It is a quality weapon and I would be hard pressed to get rid of it. As to the question; "are they worth the money," that depends on your finances. All that I can say is; if something happened to the one that I have, I would replace it immediately. I have had absolutely no problems with my R9s.

It is not built to shoot +P 9mm ammo, but since I do not shoot +P ammo in any of my handguns, that is not an issue for me.

Incidentally, everyone that I know that actually has a Rohrbaugh, has nothing but praise for their pistol. The only people that I have actually run across that have something negative to say about a R9, have never actually owned one and it has been my impression, that they could not afford one, but I may be wrong in that regards.

RJ

bsg1
07-14-2012, 01:18
because it is not a gun that you'll find on a property list of most gun owners... you may find "The Rohrbaugh Forum" to be of interest.

bac1023
07-14-2012, 03:03
I find them to be great quality pistols, though I have never owned one.

hogship
07-14-2012, 03:37
I'm one where money would be an issue.......so, you can take my comment for what it's worth......

I have no doubt the R9 is a quality gun. If I were looking to buy a pocket nine, is there enough difference in the gun itself, over something else currently being marketed, to warrant three or four times the cost? That, it seems, is the point for those who can't just buy anything without considering cost.

There does seem to be some difference in size.......but, just how much? Can anyone supply us with some comparison pics. I have an LCP, so could we see a shot comparing the R9 to the LCP, or the LC9?

For those whom money isn't an issue, don't just use that as an excuse for why you have an R9, and others do not. If it were important enough, I would find the money for an R9......as would so many others here. The real question is whether the R9 is worth it to someone whom the cost means more to them, than someone else where it's only a minor expense.

This reminds me of pocket knives. There are those who will spend $2-300 for a pocket knife, which has absolutely no added utilitarian benefit over a knife that costs a tenth as much. The more expensive knife will be finer crafted to the detail.......but, as long as it does the job it's intended for, the less expensive knife is every bit as good as the more expensive one........

ooc

CBennett
07-14-2012, 04:48
Id love to have one. Good quality little gun..Reason i dont have one is I dont think they are WORTH anywhere near what they are asking for it.

Bob Hafler
07-14-2012, 07:15
Do not know to much about them, but why would I spend more money on one of them when I already have quality firearms that do fill the same need?

IvanVic
07-14-2012, 07:16
I've shot them numerous times. I wasn't that impressed - but then again - it is a pocket gun.

English
07-14-2012, 09:51
All the people I "know" who have one and whose opinions I trust think the are worth the money.

English

jakebrake
07-14-2012, 09:54
fired one that belongs to a friend.

i wasn't impressed, but i have very large hands.

well built, just way too small for me to ever entertain carrying. i felt like i was fumbling with a squirtgun.

hogship
07-14-2012, 11:48
All the people I "know" who have one and whose opinions I trust think the are worth the money.

English

This really isn't a good example of "worth". We all know that if you survey owners of any particular brand of anything.......you will get an abnormally high percentage of positive reviews.

......Just ask owners of Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer handguns, if they are worth the money! Are they any more reliable than a $700 1911? Are there any advantages to their operation? The answers to these questions will be.....no! So, there is something else about what "quality and worth" mean to the owners of these handguns..... other than utility and function......duh!

......While you're at it, why not ask the owners of Hi-point, or a few other cheaply made handguns, if the money is well spent?

The point here........is that by including those who have looked at the Rohrbaugh, formed an opinion, and didn't buy one.......are part of the equation of whether the Rohrbaugh is "worth" the added expense.

In the chart below, the Rohrbaugh appears to be almost identical to the Kahr PM9, but the Kahr has a better magazine release and holds the slide back on the last shot. I've seen this chart before, and since it was made, we have quite a few more little 9mm pistols added to what was available to us then.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/images/compared/small-auto-sizes-s.jpg

jhmayhem
07-14-2012, 12:46
Based on what I have read and seen, Rohrbaughs seem like reliable decent shooters for a gun that small, but to me there is nothing a Rohrbaugh can do better that most other pocket 9s can equally match or surpass for a better price.

RJ's Guns
07-14-2012, 12:53
......Just ask owners of Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer handguns, if they are worth the money! Are they any more reliable than a $700 1911? Are there any advantages to their operation? The answers to these questions will be.....no! So, there is something else about what "quality and worth" mean to the owners of these handguns..... other than utility and function......duh!

With all due respect, based on your comments, I seriously doubt that you have ever owned or have had any real experience with an Ed Brown, or Les Baer handgun. I own Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols and I own several Colt and Springfield Armory 1911s that I put several thousand rounds through when they were “stock” (before being sent off to be customized) or as you termed it;“a $700 1911”. Anyone that has had any real experience with an Ed Brown and/or Les Baer 1911 would never opine that there are no “advantages to their operation.” From my fairly extensive experience, in that regards, it is my humble opinion that there is a day and night difference in the “advantages to their operation.”

The Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols are much more reliable, accurate and easier to shoot accurately. And depending on the options, there are additional “advantages to their operation” over “a $700 1911” that could be addressed if I wanted to waste my time.

RJ

Bruce M
07-14-2012, 13:15
I think one of the fundamental questions when a comparison of the Rohrbaugh against some of the other similar pistols is whether or not the size difference is worth the money. As near as I can tell there a fair number of pistols now that are close in size and alot less money. The question is how close in size is close enough.

I sometimes think of this question in automobile terms. The difference in price between a car that has a top speed of say 140 versus 150 may be minimal compared to the price of a car that has a top speed of 190 versus 200 even though each difference is only ten miles an hour.

That last half or third of an inch might be very expensive; is it worth it is a personal decision I guess.

That said seems like everyone who owns one speaks highly of their Rohrbaugh.

I have handled a few and they seem smaller to me when actually next to another pocket gun than when alone, if that makes sense.

Someone even put the Rohrbaugh on their list of four in a recent thread.

hogship
07-14-2012, 13:16
With all due respect, based on your comments, I seriously doubt that you have ever owned or have had any real experience with an Ed Brown, or Les Baer handgun. I own Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols and I own several Colt and Springfield Armory 1911s that I put several thousand rounds through when they were “stock” (before being sent off to be customized) or as you termed it;“a $700 1911”. Anyone that has had any real experience with an Ed Brown and/or Les Baer 1911 would never opine that there are no “advantages to their operation.” From my fairly extensive experience, in that regards, it is my humble opinion that there is a day and night difference in the “advantages to their operation.”

The Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols are much more reliable, accurate and easier to shoot accurately. And depending on the options, there are additional “advantages to their operation” over “a $700 1911” that could be addressed if I wanted to waste my time.

RJ

You're right, I don't own one of those pistols.....never have! Your argument is the same-o, same-o we've heard forever, it seems......and that is: If you don't own one, you can't have an opinion. So, it seems like for me to actually have any opinion at all, I must own one. This concept is not totally without merit, but it has been over-used as a basis for conclusive evidence, where that conclusive evidence doesn't exist......

In this case, I'm loosely basing my opinion on what others use.....and, you just don't see a lot of Ed Browns, etc., in competitive use.......you do see a lot of good shooters, and winners using much less expensive guns. Like the Rohrbaugh......I'm giving an opinion based on some statistical evidence, and a lot of personal observation in my many years evolving to become an eccentric old codger! If you don't think I'm qualified to give that opinion......well, you are also entitled to your opinion, as well! :supergrin:

ooc

Sharky7
07-14-2012, 13:37
I have a Kahr, don't have a Rohrbaugh.

Before buying, I decided the Kahr was the better choice for me. Lots of talk on forums about having to replace the Rohrbaugh recoil springs every 500 rounds - that is pretty frequent.

Kahr is less money and better options in my opinion with almost the same size.

JasonC8301
07-14-2012, 14:00
I have to agree with RJ on this. 1. No +p ammo through the gun. A coworker had an R9 and think he waited 2 months for it along with approx 1k and change in cash. Broke the gun after approx 500 rounds of +p gold dot 9mm, frame cracked. They replaced the gun for him and then he sold it.

It is a nice gun but I was never a fan of pocket pistols. I back up my glock 19 or 1911 with a glock 26.

2. Seems like a lot of hate for semi custom 1911. I love my wilson's but have two kimbers as well. The difference is noticable. Both do the job but wilson is more accurate and built better. Ransom rest and benched groups proved that to me when I had the time to muck around. Now i concentrate on shooting rather then finding an accurate gun. Can't have a rest in life or patrol.

Can I justify a 2k difference in price? For me yes I can.

Don't like wilson, lb, ed brown, fine its your opinion. But don't run around saying a 700 production gun is the same. Like saying a Porsche 911 GT3 is the same as a Hyundai accent.

BuckyP
07-14-2012, 14:09
In the chart below, the Rohrbaugh appears to be almost identical to the Kahr PM9, but the Kahr has a better magazine release and holds the slide back on the last shot. I've seen this chart before, and since it was made, we have quite a few more little 9mm pistols added to what was available to us then.

Problem is, the Kahr's slide stop is obnoxiously big for such a small pistol. Shooting thumbs forward, it is possible to engage it while firing. Been looking for a gun to replace my P9 Covert for some time and even considered the Rohrbaugh at one point. I think I've found my replacement, in the XDS. YMMV

hogship
07-14-2012, 14:33
Don't like wilson, lb, ed brown, fine its your opinion. But don't run around saying a 700 production gun is the same. Like saying a Porsche 911 GT3 is the same as a Hyundai accent.

I'm not saying a $700 production gun is the same.......there is a big difference in fineness of finish and appearance. It's wishful thinking to say the expensive custom guns are more accurate. That may have been true in another era, but with the fine tolerances modern CNC machinery are capable of, all that hand fitting that used to mean something, is a moot point anymore.

Your comparison of the Porsche and Hyundai isn't a good comparison, either..........What you need to compare is an less expensive car that will do everything the more expensive car can do........but, won't look as good doing it! :faint:

ooc

Bruce M
07-14-2012, 14:38
At the risk of hijacking the thread (sorry) it would be interesting to get a half dozen of each gun and shoot all them in a Ransom rest and see if there is any difference, statistically speaking.

English
07-14-2012, 15:50
This really isn't a good example of "worth". We all know that if you survey owners of any particular brand of anything.......you will get an abnormally high percentage of positive reviews.

The point here........is that by including those who have looked at the Rohrbaugh, formed an opinion, and didn't buy one.......are part of the equation of whether the Rohrbaugh is "worth" the added expense.

I am well aware of people giving abnormally high ratings to things they have chosen for themselves. Posts from people who have decided it is not worth the money are not very useful since it depends on how much money an individual can spend without a problem. For some people the limit is one or two moderately priced pistols. For others it is over a dozen very expensive ones. Those two groups will have very different attitudes to a pistol like the Rohrbaugh.

But how can the OP's question be answered? With many such questions plenty of people will come out of the woodwork to say what a POS some pistol or other is after their personal experience, and that has some value, but in this case there are none. If the question had been asked about a KelTec we would have had at least four such by now. Instead of that, all we have are people who think it is too expensive, or don't like mouse guns, or whose hands are too big, or don't realise that you can't use the same grip as you do on a service size pistol, or know of one that was fired with +P loads and broke but was replaced free of charge.

The people I "know" who swear by the Rohrbaugh have a particular need to carry covertly and have used their carry pistols to defend themselves or others. For them, the 3oz less weight and 0.3 inches less height compared to the Kahr, which started life with considerable lack of reliability, is worth paying a few hundred extra for. The extra quality of materials and machining is a bonus and the short life of recoil springs is negligible.

English

hogship
07-14-2012, 16:33
I am well aware of people giving abnormally high ratings to things they have chosen for themselves. Posts from people who have decided it is not worth the money are not very useful since it depends on how much money an individual can spend without a problem. For some people the limit is one or two moderately priced pistols. For others it is over a dozen very expensive ones. Those two groups will have very different attitudes to a pistol like the Rohrbaugh.

But how can the OP's question be answered? With many such questions plenty of people will come out of the woodwork to say what a POS some pistol or other is after their personal experience, and that has some value, but in this case there are none. If the question had been asked about a KelTec we would have had at least four such by now. Instead of that, all we have are people who think it is too expensive, or don't like mouse guns, or whose hands are too big, or don't realise that you can't use the same grip as you do on a service size pistol, or know of one that was fired with +P loads and broke but was replaced free of charge.

The people I "know" who swear by the Rohrbaugh have a particular need to carry covertly and have used their carry pistols to defend themselves or others. For them, the 3oz less weight and 0.3 inches less height compared to the Kahr, which started life with considerable lack of reliability, is worth paying a few hundred extra for. The extra quality of materials and machining is a bonus and the short life of recoil springs is negligible.

English

All good points here, English........and well taken.

The only thing you addressed that I'd like to comment on, is your observations about the negative comments that always seem to come up when these kinds of questions are asked. The number of those who will post a negative comment are far above the percentage of those who will post a positive comment.......so, there too, is something that must be understood for the reader to have the proper perspective of things........

ooc

ftw13
07-14-2012, 16:38
I've shot one and checked it out,I don't think it's worth what they charge at all. ymmv

WarEagle32
07-14-2012, 17:25
Interesting points so far!

Tiro Fijo
07-14-2012, 19:30
1. It can't shoot +p

2. the owner of the co. is on record stating that the lifespan of the gun is approx. 1,000 rds.

It's for showboating range Gomers who dream of being a deep cover operative. :upeyes:

The SIG p290 is a far better gun.

RJ's Guns
07-14-2012, 22:51
1. It can't shoot +p

2. the owner of the co. is on record stating that the lifespan of the gun is approx. 1,000 rds.

It's for showboating range Gomers who dream of being a deep cover operative. :upeyes:

The SIG p290 is a far better gun.

I mean no disrespect, but your statement that “It's for showboating range Gomers who dream of being a deepcover operative” is (taken in the best light possible), inane. A R9 is not for “showboating” on a range, it is for the individual that wants an easy to carry, lightweight 9mm that they can depend on to function reliably when needed. If you cannot see the utility and desirability in that then .....

I have no doubt that one can fire many more rounds through a SIG P290 than a R9. If that is a high priority to you and you do not mind carrying what seems like a large, heavy brick in comparison to a R9, then that is your choice but it surely does not make the Sig P290 “a far better gun” for individuals that value a very small, lightweight and reliable 9mm. People that daily carry a handgun concealed (at least those with an IQ above room temperature) do not have to “dream of being a deep cover operative” to see the value in that. I carry my R9s much more than I shoot it. I practice with other handguns and only shoot my R9s about 10-20 rounds a month, as my skill level is such that shooting it more is unnecessary.
RJ

Caver 60
07-14-2012, 23:01
Don't own one and never have shot a Rohrbaugh. Have a Kahr PM9 among other mouse guns.

Put my name on the waiting list for a Boberg XR9S. Got the money set aside for it. I figure my name should come up sometime late this fall. Still don't know if I'll actually do it when the time comes. But at least I have the option. I'm reading all the reviews I can find.

Saw one somewhat negative review the other day, but the negative ones seem to be getting fewer. Hope they get the bugs worked out of it before my turn comes up.

I can afford the loss, if it turns out to be a lemon.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

jhmayhem
07-14-2012, 23:18
I have to agree with RJ on this. 1. No +p ammo through the gun. A coworker had an R9 and think he waited 2 months for it along with approx 1k and change in cash. Broke the gun after approx 500 rounds of +p gold dot 9mm, frame cracked. They replaced the gun for him and then he sold it.

To be fair you can't really knock the Rohrbaugh's frame for cracking if your friend runs 500 rounds of +P through it when it is specifically says it is not meant to handle +P rounds.

jp3975
07-15-2012, 02:16
I mean no disrespect, but your statement that “It's for showboating range Gomers who dream of being a deepcover operative” is (taken in the best light possible), inane. A R9 is not for “showboating” on a range, it is for the individual that wants an easy to carry, lightweight 9mm that they can depend on to function reliably when needed. If you cannot see the utility and desirability in that then .....

I have no doubt that one can fire many more rounds through a SIG P290 than a R9. If that is a high priority to you and you do not mind carrying what seems like a large, heavy brick in comparison to a R9, then that is your choice but it surely does not make the Sig P290 “a far better gun” for individuals that value a very small, lightweight and reliable 9mm. People that daily carry a handgun concealed (at least those with an IQ above room temperature) do not have to “dream of being a deep cover operative” to see the value in that. I carry my R9s much more than I shoot it. I practice with other handguns and only shoot my R9s about 10-20 rounds a month, as my skill level is such that shooting it more is unnecessary.
RJ

If its true that the company estimates a 1000 round life and you shoot 20 a month...your gun will be ready to fail in a little over 4 years.

That short of a lifespan would make me nervous about the gun, personally.

Metal Angel
07-15-2012, 02:51
Don't own one and never have shot a Rohrbaugh. Have a Kahr PM9 among other mouse guns.

Put my name on the waiting list for a Boberg XR9S. Got the money set aside for it. I figure my name should come up sometime late this fall. Still don't know if I'll actually do it when the time comes. But at least I have the option. I'm reading all the reviews I can find.

Saw one somewhat negative review the other day, but the negative ones seem to be getting fewer. Hope they get the bugs worked out of it before my turn comes up.

I can afford the loss, if it turns out to be a lemon.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

I love the Boberg XR9S! Never shot one or even held one, but what a cool design! I read one report where the action was actually separating the bullet from the case, like snub nose magnum revolvers can do, bu the Boberg was doing it to a more extreme degree. Trouble is, I don't see anyway they can work that bug out unless they redesigned it with a traditional action.

257 roberts
07-15-2012, 05:07
LC Smith 12ga double
Sako Forester 308 Win.
Rem 878 12ga
Colt Python 357 Mag
Colt Coltsman 300 H&H
Savage 99F 358 Win
Savage 99C 7mm08 Rem
Savage 99C 284 Win
the list go on and on...still need to sale about 28 more guns!!!!

hogship
07-15-2012, 05:38
I love the Boberg XR9S! Never shot one or even held one, but what a cool design! I read one report where the action was actually separating the bullet from the case, like snub nose magnum revolvers can do, bu the Boberg was doing it to a more extreme degree. Trouble is, I don't see anyway they can work that bug out unless they redesigned it with a traditional action.

Right!.....that is a really unusual and useful design for ccw. I'm really impressed with the Boberg.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about MA......?

What do you mean by bullet separating from the case?

ooc

edit: Do you mean the bullet separates from the case by the act of chambering?

Caver 60
07-15-2012, 07:14
Yes hogship, the pistol draws the bullet backwards out of the magazine and then shoves it forward into the chamber. About a couple of thousand G's I think. They have a list of recommended ammo on the website. Certain brands just won't function with the Boberg.

The bullet literally gets pulled out of the case with certain brands of ammo.

maxpower220
07-15-2012, 08:06
Just remember, Ferrarri owners never talk bad about their cars either, no matter how many times they break down or how expensive the repair costs are.

The R9 is a very well made gun and it shoots very nicely. Only you can determine if it is "worth it". My research on the R9 started a few years back, when there were only a few choices in pocket nines. My LGS used to carry the R9 line, along with just about every other gun maker. For me, there were 2 reasons that I don't own the R9.

1. The owner's manual recommends spring changes every 200 rounds. Regardless of how many rounds owner actually shoot without replacement, it is still a recommendation by the manufacturer.
2. For the price of $1190 + tax, I could line up a PM9, LCP, PF9 and a few boxes of ammo. For about the same price, I decided to go with more guns, and practice ammo. For me, the R9 did not do anything that another gun couldn't do, nor could it do it better.

Funny thing about people who own custom guns. They tell you that their custom $$$$ gun is more reliable, more accurate, etc, etc. For a few guns that I own and like, I'm not sure how any gun is more reliable than mine that have not ever had a malfunction, or more accurate than mine when I am the weak link in the shooting chain.

Again, the R9 is a great gun, but only you can determine if it is worth it. There are a lot of choices in pocket nines now.

hogship
07-15-2012, 08:07
Yes hogship, the pistol draws the bullet backwards out of the magazine and then shoves it forward into the chamber. About a couple of thousand G's I think. They have a list of recommended ammo on the website. Certain brands just won't function with the Boberg.

The bullet literally gets pulled out of the case with certain brands of ammo.

OK, thanks....... I see........It looks like the chamber is on top of the magazine, instead of in front of it. I can see where that would present some unusual problems with feeding. The magazine must be made to insert the cartridges from the rear, instead of the front.......?:dunno:

http://api.ning.com/files/DnpGXQQOX4TMDKsB4IWHpKLvxZmqgnO8VCJx3zXCaaxpeKWTAF1w7YsqnPdy9kbqkwr93saycejQ8RMaEjFFb6YX89u2o4yO/BobergPreOrderPic.jpg?width=220

dudel
07-15-2012, 08:47
OK, thanks....... I see........It looks like the chamber is on top of the magazine, instead of in front of it. I can see where that would present some unusual problems with feeding. The magazine must be made to insert the cartridges from the rear, instead of the front.......?:dunno:

Correct. Plus there's no slide lock IIRC.

Custom guns are nice; but when my stock glock shoots minute of belt buckle do I really care in a SD scenario?

Sgt127
07-15-2012, 09:08
For me, the 1000 round life expectancy is a deal breaker. I'm just getting comfortable and confident with a gun at 1000 rounds. I've tried researching this issue, apparently alot of folks have higher round counts with no issues, but, if the manufacturer really says its a 1000 round gun....I have to take them at thier word.

The price is not really an issue for me. Its an exceptionally well made "niche" gun. It will cost more money.

Is there even much ballistic difference between a super short non +P 9mm and a .380? I know a Sig P232 will run a long time...same for a Walther PPK.

HexHead
07-15-2012, 09:09
I'm not saying a $700 production gun is the same.......there is a big difference in fineness of finish and appearance. It's wishful thinking to say the expensive custom guns are more accurate. That may have been true in another era, but with the fine tolerances modern CNC machinery are capable of, all that hand fitting that used to mean something, is a moot point anymore.

You must not own one. Does the $700 gun come with a 1" guarantee and a test target to back it up? I had two Kimbers when I got my Nighthawk. When I got it, I took it to the range with my Pro Carry II since they were both Commander sized. Fired a nice grouped magazine with the Kimber. First mag, right out of the box with the NHC, I shot a group half the size of the Kimber's.

Same thing happened when I made the mistake of taking my Royal II to the range with the NHC. Both Kimbers were gone shortly.

Bruce M
07-15-2012, 09:19
Does anyone by chance have a link to the thousand round life expectancy statement?

English
07-15-2012, 10:44
All good points here, English........and well taken.

The only thing you addressed that I'd like to comment on, is your observations about the negative comments that always seem to come up when these kinds of questions are asked. The number of those who will post a negative comment are far above the percentage of those who will post a positive comment.......so, there too, is something that must be understood for the reader to have the proper perspective of things........

ooc

Entirely agreed! In some cases the same individual turns up with the same vitriolic comments againa and again.

English

WarEagle32
07-15-2012, 11:55
Does anyone by chance have a link to the thousand round life expectancy statement?

What's ur EDC gun(s)?

RJ's Guns
07-15-2012, 12:09
If its true that the company estimates a 1000 round life and you shoot 20 a month...your gun will be ready to fail in a little over 4 years.

That short of a lifespan would make me nervous about the gun, personally.

I have owned mine for about 7-8 years with that useage and no problems whatsoever.
RJ

jhmayhem
07-15-2012, 12:11

http://youtu.be/qi4COhZLPKE
I didn't hear anything about one thousand rounds, but Karl Rohrbaugh recommends you switch out the springs every 200 rounds and only shoot a magazine worth of ammo every 6-8 months at the range.

Caver 60
07-15-2012, 13:02
I don't have time to research the Boberg website right now, but I'm pretty sure you can shoot the Boberg about as often as you and your pocket book can stand buying ammo. Also I'm pretty sure it'll handle +P ammo. It is finicky about what kind of ammo that you must use, but how often have I seen statements that many other small pistols are finicky?

Another slight drawback is no slide stop, but how many Kahr owners have I heard complaining about having to release the slide with the slide stop, or the Kahr slide stop causing premature slide lock?

The recoil spring in the Boberg is tiny. I saw a picture of one the other day and it's a single spring that looks more like the outside spring that came out of my P3AT, rather than a typical 9mm recoil spring. So it should be easy to rack the slide.

There's only been about 600 or so produced for sale to date, so yes it'll have growing pains. But some internet sites are already listing them for twice the original selling price.

I've got to go now. Won't be back until late tonight.

Sgt127
07-15-2012, 13:54
Maybe that 1000 round limit is a little overblown. Apparently there are folks with over 5000 rounds through them. I always liked the gun, alot. May have to try one.

English
07-15-2012, 14:42
Though the Boberg is short it is not particularly light or short in the grip. I think it comes into its own with a 4 inch barrel and caried in an inside the belt holster rather than as ana lternative to the Rohrbaugh.

English

Bruce M
07-15-2012, 15:36
What's ur EDC gun(s)?

During the week a USP .45 and sometimes a Glock 26 as a secondary depending on what I am wearing. Weekends it is a Glock 26. If I need to dress up a bit it may be my P290 now that it has "stabilized."

JasonC8301
07-15-2012, 15:59
To be fair you can't really knock the Rohrbaugh's frame for cracking if your friend runs 500 rounds of +P through it when it is specifically says it is not meant to handle +P rounds.

I should have added that the company replaced the gun under warrant and give them credit for that. They told him to send it in and they took care of it.

Hogship - the semi customs "are" more accurate than the production guns. I believe my comparison is correct in regards to the porsche to hyundai. Both are cars and will get you from a to b. Same as a 700 1911 is to a 3500 1911. Both are 1911. But you can not tell me that they are the same accuracy with 100% confidence because one is built to certain tolerances then shipped out. The semi custom has more time in terms of barrel slide and frame fit.

Do you see the 700 dollar 1911's come with a test target proving how accrate they are? No.

How about this analogy. A sig p226 and sig p226 x5 share the same basic operational platform. Why does the x5 cost about 3k and a regular 226 about 750? Both shoot the same but the x5 is fit better by hand and comes with an accuracy promise along with a test target.

Arc Angel
07-15-2012, 18:58

English

:) That's funny! Got 'a disagree with you on this one, English. 'All the people I know whose opinions I trust think' that Rohrbaugh pistols are just so much temperamental 9mm junk.

I've got pictures from around 2004-2005 of me and a bunch of other shooters with one of the Rohrbaugh executives (The boss's brother). We spent an entire day shooting with him; he was letting us try out a new Rohrbaugh 9mm pistol for free.

I didn't put down my own guns in order to join in; but, I was shooting only a lane, or two, away; and, so help me, I didn't see that little pistol fire, even, 6 consecutive shots all day long without jamming.

I have heard stories that if you keep the recoil spring in good shape and don't let it get older than, about, 250 rounds a Rohrbaugh pistol will work; but, as for trusting my life to one of those things? Never!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/39426-lowdown-rohrbaugh-r9.html

The following review is as truthful and flattering as any I've read. Still, when you get to the last paragraphs is this really a pistol you want to carry for self-defense? I can shoot my little 357 Magnum Ruger SP-101 until it's, literally, red hot; and it'll keep on firing!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/11/eric-nelson/gun-review-rohrbaugh-r9s-stealth/

Found them!

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9273/josejtorresericrohrbaug.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8130/2004quakertownpa.jpg

Ljutic
07-15-2012, 20:58
I am a pocket pistol junkie. I have and have had a lot of them. I have never even got to hold a Rohrbaugh R9 nor is there anywhere around here in rural AL to try one. I keep looking at them online, and I think a 13oz 9mm that is setup to specially handle the recoil is as sweet as it gets in theory, and I'm tempted and curious. Those of you that have them. Are they worth the money?

From one pocket pistol junkie to another, I say they are worth it. If you can get over the limitations of the pistol, you won't find any current pocket 9 to be sleeker. You will find a few that are lighter.

If you can get over the lack of adjustable sights, no Plus P ammo, euro style mag release, no last round hold open, having to change the recoil spring every 200 rounds, and initial cost, you will end up with a pocket 9 that you will want to carry with you every day.

I made this video a few weeks ago when I first got my high speed camera. You might find it helpful. The Rohrbaugh is the upper left pistol.

Recoil Cam 2012 - Pocket Pistol Comparions at 480 FPS High Speed Video - YouTube

Lots of Boberg talk in this thread so here's another RecoilCam video of the Boberg. It's not as trim as the Rohrbaugh, but it's easier to shoot and doesn't have any of the limitations of the Rohrbaugh except last round hold open.

Boberg XR9-S Recoil Cam - YouTube

rgregoryb
07-15-2012, 21:14
To the OP, there are 2 Rorbaughs at SE Guns in Trussville, Al

DPris
07-16-2012, 00:42
The Rohrbaugh is worth the price, IF you understand what it is & don't try to force it to be something it isn't.
Denis

humanguerrilla
07-16-2012, 01:00
I love my low rent keltec pf9 but
especially
look at how sexy with Vz grips
http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/rohrbaugh-r9

Caver 60
07-17-2012, 09:01
From one pocket pistol junkie to another, I say they are worth it. If you can get over the limitations of the pistol, you won't find any current pocket 9 to be sleeker. You will find a few that are lighter.

If you can get over the lack of adjustable sights, no Plus P ammo, euro style mag release, no last round hold open, having to change the recoil spring every 200 rounds, and initial cost, you will end up with a pocket 9 that you will want to carry with you every day.

I made this video a few weeks ago when I first got my high speed camera. You might find it helpful. The Rohrbaugh is the upper left pistol.

Recoil Cam 2012 - Pocket Pistol Comparions at 480 FPS High Speed Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0TfUHnJ2M)

Lots of Boberg talk in this thread so here's another RecoilCam video of the Boberg. It's not as trim as the Rohrbaugh, but it's easier to shoot and doesn't have any of the limitations of the Rohrbaugh except last round hold open.

Boberg XR9-S Recoil Cam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtmAk72664)

Thanks very much for that post. Very interesting to me. Especially the video of the PM40. I'm used to shooting heavy recoiling magnum caliber handguns and I don't mind the snappy recoil of my PM40, but it beats the heck out of my trigger finger. I can see why now.

If I'm going to shoot more than a few magazines of ammo through the PM40 I have to either wear a shooting glove or put a bandaid (pad side down) on my trigger finger. Even then a box of 50 rounds is usually enough for one session.

maxpower220
07-17-2012, 18:18
Nice video, that might sell people on the DB9 over the overs as it appears that you had the best control of recoil on it.

elde
07-17-2012, 18:45
The Rohrbaugh is worth the price, IF you understand what it is & don't try to force it to be something it isn't.
Denis

THIS.

I hardly ever agree with Denis, but he's spot-on here. I abide by the 200 round spring rule, shoot a mag or two of GD 115gr each month and have never had an issue with my R9 (1200 rounds and counting), which lives in my pocket each and every day.

Kind of reminds me of a Seecamp 9mm.

RJ's Guns
07-17-2012, 20:11
Kind of reminds me of a Seecamp 9mm.

I was unaware that Seecamp makes a 9mm and I checked on the Seecamp website and I could not find a 9mm. Would you please provide a link as I would like to order a Seecamp 9mm. I have their 32 and 380 and they are great pistols.

RJ

WarEagle32
07-17-2012, 20:43
To the OP, there are 2 Rorbaughs at SE Guns in Trussville, Al

Thanks for that! Are they new? How much are they?

arkdweller22
07-17-2012, 23:41
Much like others here; mine lives in my pocket as well. It has for almost 3 years and has had one issue...

It went back to Rohrbaugh early on for a cracked slide. I must say, Rohrbaugh's service was EXCELLENT. The slide and barrel were replaced after I received a call from Karl Rohrbaugh himself explaining the issue with a bad batch of bar stock. The warranty work was done despite the fact that I am the second owner.

It has been flawless since. I replace the recoil spring every 200 rounds ($4.99 on the Rohrbaugh site). Since I put about 20 rounds through it once a month, that's once every 10 months. Critical Defense rounds run like poop through a goose and it's as accurate as can be expected from such a tiny 9mm. I am confident that I will hit what I fire upon out to 20 yards, no problem. My hands are fairly large so I do have to concentrate on controlling the pistol more than usual.

My experience shows that the gun is worth the price, especially considering that the company backs the product fully without question. It is a shoot a little, carry a lot gun.