Help Learn me about replaceable adjustable sites, GSG1911 .22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Learn me about replaceable adjustable sites, GSG1911 .22

ARP
07-13-2012, 23:46
So I bought the tactical model and brought it home today and have been trying to learn all about it's workings. Watched the Utube video for the field strip and that worked great, used gun grease on the slide and other inner workings so I am all set to try it out.

I started looking at the sites, specifically the front site. My question is they have a cut out on the barrel for the supplied plastic site to slide into and the site itself has an allen screw in it and the end of the screw has a tip and it seems that tightening that screw raises the site and backing it off and pushing down on the site brings it to flush in the cut out. Is that all that is holding that site in place on the front of the gun, sliding in of the plastic site into the cut out? Won't I knock that off in about 10 seconds? First gun I have ever owned with adjustable sites so this is a whole new ball game for me. School me!

One thing that has me concerned is that underneath the front site is a tiny hole with what looks like a screw hole that when you crank down the screw it sort of sits on top of and slightly in that hole preventing it from moving left or right. Looks really fragile if you ask me if that is all that is holding the whole system together.

So what are your preferred FO sites for this gun?

ARP
07-16-2012, 09:30
with replacing the sites on the GSG. I did a search here on the forum and came up with a few possibilities but I'm way too much of a noobsauce to fully appreciate what I read and comprehend implications. So far I know that I like the FO type of sites but I gather that the height of the site is critical in getting the correct one that fits which might explain why GSG put the throw away plastic sites on the front. That one I know will get swapped out for FO. Just not sure if a bright green between the light green on the rear or red.

Also note that I will certainly re read and absorb what was already written about the rear sites, Novak type cut outs and height. My biggest concern is the cutout right and the height.

Bill Keith
07-26-2012, 04:42
I wish you good luck and will monitor the thread. What you describe is exactly why I haven't bought one of those little guns. Why in the hell do they scrimp on the sights!?:wavey:

ARP
07-27-2012, 00:46
I wish you good luck and will monitor the thread. What you describe is exactly why I haven't bought one of those little guns. Why in the hell do they scrimp on the sights!?:wavey:

I think they scrimp on sites because they know the new owner is probably going to swap them out anyway.

The way to go is Dawson Precision sights, FO. Not cheap but made for the gun specifically, you can go front only or F&R. The rear sight for me appears perfectly usable and should I want I could either paint out the 2 dots on the site and then the rear would be a black V or I could leave them alone and put a red FO on the front that would split the 2 dot white rear. Apparently the Dawson slides tightly into position and you can use a bit of probably blue loctite to secure the sight in place, probably what I will do once i determine the correct height for the front for me. Dawson has about 5 sizes for the front sit height.