Browning 1911-22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1911-22

Chronos
07-14-2012, 04:06
So, I've been a little out of the loop regarding the .22 pistol market for the last year or so, and missed the release of this thing. Just saw one at a local gun store and I am fascinated.

Anyone here have any experience with this thing? To me, it initially looked like a near-perfect .22 -- small and light (but large enough to be useful), and with a single-action trigger. Plus it looks really cool. It looks like it could be what the industry has failed to produce for generations (focusing instead on either massive, heavy pieces, or long DA triggers), and the reason my favorite .22 is a first series Colt Woodsman.

Are there any caveats to be aware of? Is it reliable? Are the sights decent and useful outdoors? Is it designed to hold up over the long term? Does it have any zinc components?

bac1023
07-14-2012, 17:10
I handled one and they seem decent.

Lew-G17
07-15-2012, 19:07
I own one and it has been a great little pistol. I love the size and light weight. Mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate as well. Personally I would prefer more modern sights, but I do love the classic look of the pistol.

Chronos
07-17-2012, 20:19
I own one and it has been a great little pistol. I love the size and light weight. Mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate as well. Personally I would prefer more modern sights, but I do love the classic look of the pistol.

That is wonderful news about the reliability. I hope the sights aren't a major issue -- I did look at one briefly and remember thinking the sights seemed a little primitive. Can they be replaced at some point in the future if it's an issue, or are they permanently molded into the slide?

Lew-G17
07-18-2012, 17:07
The front sight looks to be a snap in part and the rear sight is in a dovetail. I would imagine a gunsmith could work out something for you if you find you need it. I would also hope that at some point Browning will offer some options for these fine pistols.

The sights are not bad, but I'm not a spring chicken (or is that rooster?) anymore so I'll take all the help I can get with sight picture.

Chronos
07-19-2012, 00:58
Great!

I am overjoyed at the prospect of a high quality, new-in-box .22 autoloader which is light and size-appropriate to the .22 caliber, while also being accurate and highly reliable, and with a single-action trigger. When was the last time something like that was in production? I'm thinking maybe the Beretta 70s? Before my time, anyway.

HAMMERHEAD
07-19-2012, 14:49
The one at my LGS sure is cute, but the trigger is awful. Very heavy and seems to have two stages. Definitely not a 1911 trigger.