Time for Shield Part 2! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time for Shield Part 2!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 14:51
FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY got my second 9mm Shield. Been looking for 2 months now..

FINALLY!

Selling my PX4 to cover the cost... Officially taking a hiatus from gun buying now. Been buying for years. Now, gonna start taking some vacations... Obviously, keeping my Beretta 92s, though, and my pair of PS90s :)

I have some sort of complex with having multiples of the same gun!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield2.jpg

hogship
07-14-2012, 14:57
How hard is the safety to operate?

If I had a Shield, I'd think seriously about using the safety. The hinged trigger of the M&P series has serious flaws (IMHO), and I'd feel a bit more comfortable to carry the Shield with safety on........

ooc

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 15:10
I don't use it at all - and its small and out the way enough to not be moved accidentally. But if you want to - very easy to brush it up or down with the joint of your thumb if you wish

cowboy1964
07-14-2012, 15:11
The best spare parts collection is a 2nd gun!

bac1023
07-14-2012, 15:13
Congrats! :cool:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 15:35
The best spare parts collection is a 2nd gun!

Sho nuff!

Beanie-Bean
07-14-2012, 15:47
Congrats on #2! At least you've got another set of magazines to use with your first one :supergrin:

BTW, did you ever get your extra magazines from S&W yet? I've lost faith in them after waiting for this long...if I don't see anything in my mailbox by the end of the month, I think that I'll just call them to cancel my order.

Enjoy your new Shield!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 16:22
No, I am STILL waiting for the mags. I called once and was told they were just working as fast as they could. 1.5 weeks ago, I called and had them specifically check my order... I'm still there - waiting...

I cvould have ordered them someplace else since then - but didn't cancel the S&W order, because I just figured it would be soon... But, still waitinh.

Can you believe I have 1250 rounds thru my first Shield with just the TWO magazines!

Bruce M
07-14-2012, 18:26
It appears that some 9mm Shields are starting to get into the pipeline again. Out of curiosity (not that there is anything wrong with it) why did you decide on a second Shield?

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 19:30
It appears that some 9mm Shields are starting to get into the pipeline again. Out of curiosity (not that there is anything wrong with it) why did you decide on a second Shield?

I really, really like the gun. I tend to get multiples when I like something... Not a big polymer gun fan, so it is nice to find one I like.

3rdgen40
07-14-2012, 22:10
I really, really like the gun. I tend to get multiples when I like something... Not a big polymer gun fan, so it is nice to find one I like.
Congrats ship ! Mine wears the same "grip sleeve", but I reversed mine so the lines don't show.Great little guns.:cool:

DaBurna
07-15-2012, 01:41
No, I am STILL waiting for the mags. I called once and was told they were just working as fast as they could. 1.5 weeks ago, I called and had them specifically check my order... I'm still there - waiting...

I cvould have ordered them someplace else since then - but didn't cancel the S&W order, because I just figured it would be soon... But, still waitinh.

Can you believe I have 1250 rounds thru my first Shield with just the TWO magazines!

I ebayed and have 3 extra mags (2 8rounders/1 7rounder) shortly after getting mine in late April... They were about market priced at ~ $31/mag...

She's still flawless after about ~450 rounds... Looking at night sight options right now... I've read regular m&p truglo's fit with very little/ slight width "hangover" at the rear sight... Not very noticeable... Congrats dude! Have u shot a Shield .40 yet?

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-15-2012, 07:17
I ebayed and have 3 extra mags (2 8rounders/1 7rounder) shortly after getting mine in late April... They were about market priced at ~ $31/mag...

She's still flawless after about ~450 rounds... Looking at night sight options right now... I've read regular m&p truglo's fit with very little/ slight width "hangover" at the rear sight... Not very noticeable... Congrats dude! Have u shot a Shield .40 yet?

No, never shot a 40 Shield. I have only owned one 40 cal over all the years. A px4. It was my fav 40 cal I have ever shot (I have fired many). But, I personally do not really care for the 40 cal round. 9mm and 45 are my preference. And I sold all my 45 cal guns last year and have all 9mm

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-15-2012, 07:18
Congrats ship ! Mine wears the same "grip sleeve", but I reversed mine so the lines don't show.Great little guns.:cool:

Damn, I never thought of that :faint:

DaBurna
07-15-2012, 09:22
No, never shot a 40 Shield. I have only owned one 40 cal over all the years. A px4. It was my fav 40 cal I have ever shot (I have fired many). But, I personally do not really care for the 40 cal round. 9mm and 45 are my preference. And I sold all my 45 cal guns last year and have all 9mm

I can feel ya on that... I have .40's in G22, G23, & G27... But I shoot and carry my G19 & 26 a lot more these days. I was one of the guys who went out on a limb to say the Shield .40 would probably be a bit much in this slim/lightweight config.... I'd love to get a chance to test my theory in person. I love my Shield 9, it just WORKS!

45caldan
07-15-2012, 13:29
FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY got my second 9mm Shield. Been looking for 2 months now..

FINALLY!

Selling my PX4 to cover the cost... Officially taking a hiatus from gun buying now. Been buying for years. Now, gonna start taking some vacations... Obviously, keeping my Beretta 92s, though, and my pair of PS90s :)

I have some sort of complex with having multiples of the same gun!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield2.jpg

Thinking very hard about getting one of these (or another small 9mm).
Can you pocket carry these in cargo shorts?
It looks too big for jeans pocket carry...

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-15-2012, 13:36
Thinking very hard about getting one of these (or another small 9mm).
Can you pocket carry these in cargo shorts?

I have been pocket carrying my first one for 2 months now in cargo pants. So, it should work fine for you.

Bulletsrrfriend
07-15-2012, 15:24
I have had my M&P 40 Shield for around a month and a half and I am impressed with the lack of felt/perceived recoil. I have large hands and maybe it is because I can envelope more of the grip. I have read some other reviews and some say it is no worse than the 9mm and some say it is too much for such a slim gun. My daughters boyfriend has a G23 gen4 and it snaps more than the shield in my experience. Only bad thing is I don't think I am going to get to keep it, my daughter has pretty much taken a liking to it.

DougW
07-15-2012, 18:09
Dang, I'd like to find just one!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-15-2012, 20:53
Dang, I'd like to find just one!

I hear ya. I lucked into the first one, but I have spent the last two months trying to track down the second. I am on the list at three different places, and have been looking all over for this second one... I went 90 minutes away to get this one

ricklee4570
07-16-2012, 06:04
I have heard that some have been having problems with the Shield in .40 cal. Seems the magazine are falling out under fire. S&W has been replacing the mag catch's on those sent in. I have heard no such problems with the Shield in 9mm

BigA
07-16-2012, 06:38
I really like my shield but find myself still wanting that 36. It has been flawless and accuracy is great. I still find myself wanting that 36 so i will most likely end up swaping it or selling it when i get back from vacation the 29th.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-16-2012, 09:28
I have heard that some have been having problems with the Shield in .40 cal. Seems the magazine are falling out under fire. S&W has been replacing the mag catch's on those sent in. I have heard no such problems with the Shield in 9mm

I've seen one report of that online. But, as I am not interested in the 40 cal, I really haven't gone looking for the info specifically for the 40 cal version. Love it in 9mm.

G26S239
07-16-2012, 22:34
Congrats Shipwreck. Nothing wrong with multiples, I have a spare 26 and 3 full size 1911s.

vtducrider
07-17-2012, 22:20
I have multiple copies of some firearms as well - the ones I really like of course. I was on the fence about the Shield, so I picked out just one. Could have bought the other one with consecutive serial number at the LGS. Missed opportunity...

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-18-2012, 05:24

Oh, here are some comparison pics with the Kahr I had before (which I sold the first week I had the shield).

Not much size difference...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/kahrshield2.jpg

Kahr on top of Shield:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/kahrshield1.jpg

cowboy1964
07-18-2012, 12:23
The size difference with the PM9 isn't huge but it's noticeable when pocket carrying. The Shield is also a bit heavier I believe.

In terms of preference for every other characteristic though I would much prefer the Shield.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-18-2012, 12:38
Well, I pocket carry the SHield - and the size is close enough...

Granted, I wear cargo pants. But, pocket carry of a PM9 in jeans wouldn't have worked well for me, so the shield being slightly, slightly bigger doesn't really matter in that regard either, IMHO...

cowboy1964
07-18-2012, 18:46
Yeah I understand that pocket carry is very pants-specific. I can barely get the PM9 in an Alabama holster in my jeans pockets but it does fit. Not the quickest draw in the world but not too bad.