Can I carry in Ikea [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can I carry in Ikea

pspez
07-15-2012, 09:42
I was at Ikea yesterday and they had a sign that I don't specifically remember the wording but, it was implying that no firearms were allowed. Can I still carry in that store even though I have a conceal liceness?

TheExplorer
07-15-2012, 10:04
Refer here...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

“No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

Glockworks
07-15-2012, 12:36
If it is against the law to carry, ie, courts, government buildings for example, maybe places that sell liquor, I bow to the law.

If it is a business for example, IMO if they want everyone but criminals disarmed, then they should be liable if anything happens to a higher degree than a non anti-firearm establishment. For they made their rules disarming lawful carrying people thus it should be their responsibility then to provide for instance armed security. Just my opinion though.

pspez
07-15-2012, 13:16
Thanks guy.

alwaysshootin
07-15-2012, 13:23
In Ohio, it is only problematic if you get caught, and, even then, all they can do, is ask you to leave, and if you do, there is no recourse for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

Misty02
07-17-2012, 05:25
Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know youíre not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible Iíll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toyís R Us, I donít care how competitive they make something Iím looking for.

Misty02
07-17-2012, 05:28
In Ohio, it is only problematic if you get caught, and, even then, all they can do, is ask you to leave, and if you do, there is no recourse for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

In Florida as well. If asked to leave, do so immediately (no lip service), then again that applies whether youíre carrying or not. You could be charged with trespassing otherwise, in our case it may even be armed trespassing.

fuzzy03cls
07-17-2012, 09:13
We are neighbors, CC too...

As covered, signs have no legal weight in FL. I ignore them & if your concealing right no one should know.

Mayhem like Me
07-17-2012, 14:38
don't read the sign.

deadmanglocking
07-17-2012, 20:20
In Texas it has to be 30.06 posted to be legal.
"no gun" signs carry no weight here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboy1964
07-17-2012, 22:12
Deleted

BenjiEDF
07-18-2012, 00:00
If it is against the law to carry, ie, courts, government buildings for example, maybe places that sell liquor, I bow to the law.

If it is a business for example, IMO if they want everyone but criminals disarmed, then they should be liable if anything happens to a higher degree than a non anti-firearm establishment. For they made their rules disarming lawful carrying people thus it should be their responsibility then to provide for instance armed security. Just my opinion though.

This. Ask for the manager and ask if he has hired security... if the answer is no then look him in the eye and tell him that he doesn't deserve your business. Walk away.

jonboy20
12-27-2012, 21:51
The ikea in round rock Texas has the required sign to ban chl holders from carrying a weapon. In fact the sign is twice the size as required by law. They also have a sticker on the door advertising a gun free zone. Today I posted on their Facebook account a simple question of why they have this policy and they deleted my post.

I'M Glockamolie
12-27-2012, 23:04
How I view Ikea: PI-kea bot - YouTube

cesaros
12-27-2012, 23:25
If its concealed, no one should know anyway. Carry away.

I don't particularly like 'the man' telling me where I can defend myself.

Lior
12-28-2012, 06:39
Carrying in Ikea in Israel is kosher.

Doubletaps'Rus
12-28-2012, 07:50
I have made it my hobby to write to stores that don't allow CCW on their premises. In my letters I am polite and point out that I have completed and passed State and Federal background checks. I ask them what they know about their nonccw customers. I ask them to change their policy and promise to shop there again as soon as they do.

I refuse to give money to people who violate my civil rights. I would encourage you to do the same. But a silent protest doesn't work. If Ikea got 10,000 letters explaining why we won't shop there, maybe they would reconsider their policy.

eracer
12-28-2012, 08:13
Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know you’re not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible I’ll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toy’s R Us, I don’t care how competitive they make something I’m looking for.

.In many cases, it's not that we're unwanted, it's that the lawyers have forced the company to consider the potential ramifications of a customer using a gun and accidentally shooting another customer.

If a company spokesperson comes out and says, "Guns are icky" I will certainly avoid buying their products when possible.

But if their only act is to put up a meaningless sign, I tend to keep that act separate from my decision to shop there.

In other words, if there is something I want to buy at Ikea, I will buy it at Ikea, and simply ignore the sign as I carry my lawfully concealed weapon.

(Has Ikea come out of the closet as an 'anti-gun' corporation? I honestly don't know.)

jeager
12-28-2012, 08:59
why would you do business with this Troll-faced, stingy, sob who knowingly used Forced Labour ?

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2012, 09:24
Are you a literate adult, or a wannabe gangster? If the property owner says they don't want guns on their property, go elsewhere or lock it up. IF your plan A is to make excuses or claim ignorance for your behavior, you might want to have a good plan B. I was at Ikea yesterday and they had a sign that I don't specifically remember the wording but, it was implying that no firearms were allowed. Can I still carry in that store even though I have a conceal liceness?

jph02
12-28-2012, 10:22
There is nothing on Ikea's website to indicate a gun-free corporate policy. If a store is posted, it must be a local decision that I'd address to the manager. I agree a silent protest will accomplish nothing, so maybe even writing corporate about a local store policy might be helpful.

As to those who chose to ignore private property rights because they disagree with them, that's too bad. You are, selfishly, missing an opportunity to educate the non-gun crowd, at best, or debasing your moral position, at worst. Just my 2 cents.

G26AZ
12-28-2012, 13:07
In Texas it has to be 30.06 posted to be legal.
"no gun" signs carry no weight here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Can somebody post a picture of a proper "30.06" sign? I have heard about them for years, but - living in AZ, have never seen one.

4Rules
12-28-2012, 13:17
Can somebody post a picture of a proper "30.06" sign? I have heard about them for years, but - living in AZ, have never seen one.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Texas+concealed+%2230.06%22+sign+image

xidica
12-28-2012, 15:07
The IKEA in Houston did apparently have a 30.06 at some point in time, but hasn't on my last few trips. They have the standard "no firearms" sign, but that's not sufficient to prevent a licensed CHL holder in Texas, AFAIK.

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2012, 15:16
Folks who want to emulate a criminal have to have fun somehow. :) It's fascinating how Merka has swung from a culture of honor and respect to how much an individual can get away with. If no property owner's rights carry weight, don't cry when someone appropriates yours for their desired use.

Gunnut 45/454
12-29-2012, 10:50
Bill Lumberg
So if a store wants to ban White customers from entering there store its O.K ? Or they don't want Women to enter there stores it's O.K.? So can they put up no gang members allowed signs? Or no liberal allowed signs? Please explain the difference to the above restrictions and banning lawful carry!:whistling:

jakebrake
12-29-2012, 10:52
Legally you can carry. The question then remains; do you want to be where you know you’re not wanted? More often than not my answer is no. If at all possible I’ll chose a competitor to give them my business, even if it is a few dollars more. For example, I won't step foot in Toy’s R Us, I don’t care how competitive they make something I’m looking for.

ayup! you don't want my business if you start posting that sign. even the nations biggest coffee chain(you know....that one) is very clear. if the law allows it, so does the store.

unless you work there.

jph02
12-29-2012, 11:17
Bill Lumberg
So if a store wants to ban White customers from entering there store its O.K ? Or they don't want Women to enter there stores it's O.K.? So can they put up no gang members allowed signs? Or no liberal allowed signs? Please explain the difference to the above restrictions and banning lawful carry!:whistling:
I love how people always through this one up as if it provides a moral basis to ignore the property rights of others. Show me the law that says property owners must allow persons with firearms onto their property. These are not even remotely related topics.:dunno:

SpringerTGO
12-29-2012, 18:22
I have made it my hobby to write to stores that don't allow CCW on their premises. In my letters I am polite and point out that I have completed and passed State and Federal background checks. I ask them what they know about their nonccw customers. I ask them to change their policy and promise to shop there again as soon as they do.

I refuse to give money to people who violate my civil rights. I would encourage you to do the same. But a silent protest doesn't work. If Ikea got 10,000 letters explaining why we won't shop there, maybe they would reconsider their policy.

Can you go into any store and yell fire? Can you run recklessly through the isles?

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 19:18
I'd shop somewhere else.