22lr=head shots....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 22lr=head shots.......

bk1951
07-15-2012, 15:23
MAS, would know if a 22 stinger shot into the head would stop someone? rt in the front or back of head...or would u need more than 1 shot 2 the head??thanks for your time in advance.....

Mas Ayoob
07-15-2012, 20:01
BK, the .22 is a tiny bullet and in comparison, the human head is a big place. There are lots of placement points and angles where a "head shot" will cause something from an unnoticed "boo-boo" to an irritating headache all the way to instant collapse and instant death.

The human skull is a helmet of bone; there's a good reason why physicians use the term cranial VAULT to describe it. There are parts of the brain within it which, if hit by a bullet, may cause cessation of conscious, purposeful activity but NOT preclude convulsive response that might include firing a gun, and there are parts which if pierced by a bullet are extremely likely to cause instant collapse.

It's a case of the question being easier than the answer. A friend of mine was shot in the head with a .45 automatic at close range, and several more times in the body. He got really ticked off and shot his assailant, killing him. Several months later, my friend was back on duty and continuing a distinguished police career.

Ain't no guarantees in any of this. The more powerful the round, the more likely the "stop." My late, lamented friend Jim Cirillo shot multiple armed criminals in the head. Some dropped at the shot, and some stayed up and running: Jim blamed the shape of the bullet, which allowed it to skid off course when it hit the hard, curved, deflecting surface of that cranial vault.

Hoping this helps to explain why the answers are so often more complicated than the questions,

Mas

bk1951
07-16-2012, 09:30
ty......