Colt .22 Target Model [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt .22 Target Model

B_RAD
07-15-2012, 19:14
I had a relative give me one today. Don't know much about these. Anyone have any experience with these? I imagine it's gonna be fun to shoot! Can't beat free!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bhk
07-15-2012, 19:26
A photo or more detailed description would be in order. Is this a revolver, a Colt Woodsman semi-auto, a 1911 with a Colt conversion, etc. I don't have a clue what you have, other than any Colt .22 is a treasure.

B_RAD
07-15-2012, 19:51

bac1023
07-15-2012, 19:57
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

You can't beat a free gun. :supergrin:

B_RAD
07-15-2012, 20:04
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

You can't beat a free gun. :supergrin:

Last weekend I had a NIB Ruger MKIII in my hand and almost bought it but put it down and walked away. I've been wanting a .22 semi auto for a while now. Hope this one is a shooter.

B_RAD
07-16-2012, 08:35
A google search for Colt Target Model .22lr didn't turn up much. I noticed it said Cadet on the right side if the frame so I did a search for Colt Cadet. That was more successful. From what I could tell from the brief search on my iPhone, Colt made these in the mid-late 90s. They originally had the name Cadet but had to be renamed for some reason. Some say Colt Cadet on the left side of the slide(before the name change) This one is the 6" version and i think is just called the Target Model.

Thought I'd post what I found.

If anyone cares?

bhk
07-16-2012, 12:38
My Blue Book says the Colt .22 Target was made from 1995 to 1999. The Cadet model was first made in 1994 but the name was changed in 1995 due to litigation involving the Cadet trademark. The last MSR on the target model was $377 and is now worth between $120 (60% condition) to $425 (100% condition). This appears to have been an attempt by Colt to make a quality, economical .22 to compete with the Ruger class of .22 autos. It looks like it would be a great shooting gun.

B_RAD
07-16-2012, 13:06
My Blue Book says the Colt .22 Target was made from 1995 to 1999. The Cadet model was first made in 1994 but the name was changed in 1995 due to litigation involving the Cadet trademark. The last MSR on the target model was $377 and is now worth between $120 (60% condition) to $425 (100% condition). This appears to have been an attempt by Colt to make a quality, economical .22 to compete with the Ruger class of .22 autos. It looks like it would be a great shooting gun.

Thanks for the info! I talked with my dad about this. It seems that my grandfather had this one and another one with the 4.5" barrel. Supposedly with consecutive serial #'s. My grandfather, thru the Dallas Arms Collectors Association, was able to buy several guns from Colt over the years that were special runs or stuff like that. These aren't worth anything, just family heirlooms.

Gonna have fun shooting it!

fnfalman
07-16-2012, 13:11
This particular gun was Colt's last attempt at trying to get back into the .22LR pistol market.

The gun itself was nothing special. As a freebee, that's a different story.

B_RAD
07-16-2012, 13:24
This particular gun was Colt's last attempt at trying to get back into the .22LR pistol market.

The gun itself was nothing special. As a freebee, that's a different story.

It's surprising that Colt doesn't have much going in the .22LR semi-auto dept. Ruger seems to have success. You'd think Colt would want some of that. Maybe it's not that much of a market to begin with and that's why Colt doesn't try to compete?

Free = awesome.

I would think it'll be comparable to the MK series?

countrygun
07-16-2012, 13:29
It's surprising that Colt doesn't have much going in the .22LR semi-auto dept. Ruger seems to have success. You'd think Colt would want some of that. Maybe it's not that much of a market to begin with and that's why Colt doesn't try to compete?

Free = awesome.

The Colt "Woodsman" design had faced tough competition for years. The High Standard held the spotlight as a very similar auto in a lot of variations and a number of target models. Browning also had their very, very similar guns (the Colt woodsman was a Browning design IIRC) and Ruger moved in to the "sportsman, knock around, etc" market at a lower price. There wasn't much of a market except for the "brand loyalty" crowd.

fnfalman
07-16-2012, 13:31

No, it wasn't comparable.

B_RAD
07-16-2012, 13:40
No, it wasn't comparable.

Oh well. It'll still be fun to pop off a few.

fnfalman
07-16-2012, 14:02
Oh well. It'll still be fun to pop off a few.

Especially when it's free.

appwolf
07-28-2012, 15:15
I have had a Colt Cadet for sometime now that I have used in the 22 Steel matches at my local gun club. I bought it on Gunbroker.com and it is an NRA special edition. It has been an excellent shooter and I really like the way the mag falls right out with no hesitation, the release is above and ahead of the trigger sorta like an H&K. Recently I just added three more to my collection that were 3 in a lot from Rock Island Auctions. These guns run great and the mags also fit the Colt Third Series Woodsman Match Target Pistol that I got on the same auction. Two of these new ones are the Colt 22 and one is the Cadet with a serial number CADETxxx where xxx is a number below 025, don't know if this is a special edition. None of mine have the "Colt Target Model" on them but I think your barrel may be longer than any of mine. The Federal Auto Match ammo that comes in the 330 round boxes runs great in these. Find you a 22 Steel match and win with that Colt ;-)