S&P clothing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&P clothing

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:58
I asked what people would be wearing when the SHTF a few years back and the overwhelming response was "normal clothes in order to blend in".

However, I'm wondering if that is still the name today? The reason why I ask is because, after not being there for a few months, I went to Cabela's today. Now normally they have TONS of hunting clothing. However, now they also have what looks like a tactical clothing section.

It is filling with brands like 5.11, Maxpedition, etc. And they have clothes ranging from the traditional carry/concealment vests with the snap in the middle for an easy clear....all the way to full cargo/BDU pants. They seemed VERY well built as well in regard to design, stitching, etc.

Now are these clothes strictly for mall ninjas or maybe at the range or is "tactical clothing" catching on among S&Pers/CCWers?

I also wanted to add that, except for the BDU's most of it looked like normal clothing....LOOKED....but in reality it had built in holsters or hidden pockets/pouches/etc. So still keeping things concealed CCW/S&P-wise.

But is this catching on or, again, just for certain stereotypes?

Thanks

-Emt1581

FireForged
07-15-2012, 22:21
I seriously doubt that anyone who finds themselve in the middle of a real survival situation is going to care about their style of clothing. If the heck ever really hits the fan, you would probably find me in grey or khaki colored Dickies brand coveralls and good boots.

actionshooter10
07-16-2012, 00:13
I dress like a foreman on a construction site. Untucked button down shirt, nice blue jeans, and dress boots.

I can tuck in my shirt and have lunch at a nice restaurant or catch a meeting. I blend in almost everywhere and look professional.

TangoFoxtrot
07-16-2012, 04:27
Dress to blend into your environment and the weather...simple.

quake
07-16-2012, 06:40
Carhartt pants, usually jeans although sometimes some of the now-discontinued ripstop line. Shirt is based on weather and activity; usually a button-down but sometimes a polo style, or even a t-shirt if I'm doing grunt work on a jobsite (which happens more this time of year as it's our busy season). Either walking shoes or steel-toe boots; while I'm wearing one of the two, the other's in the truck.

Other than at church, that's me almost all the time - at work, on the property, or at the ball game last night.

In a shtf situation I wouldn't expect to change much if at all. My jeans & other work pants all have identical pocket layouts (6-pocket dungaree type), everything I carry has a place of its own and I like keeping it that way. Ruler pocket on right = cell phone, ruler pocket on left = pocket knife, etc; everything always in the same place. Makes it simpler to get to things thru the day, and makes it easier to tell if something's missing.

bdcochran
07-16-2012, 06:51
As usual, multiple questions rolled into one.

When shtf, I will be dressed to go to the gym. This is how I normally dress - sleeveless shirt, gym shorts, sneakers and low cut socks.

However, if I go into the trunk of the car, I have two sets of clothes. One set is to blend in as much as possible with other people. The second set is the "I don't give a damn, this is the most effective clothing I have", including WW2 German parka.

Otherwise, being sarcastic, dress like a mall ninja. It is intimidating that you wear uncomfortable boots, black pants, a long sleeve shirt with a nondescript yellow sewn page, a pistol belt with handcuffs, a radio and a can of mace.

No, EMT, "common sense" hasn't changed.

BR549
07-16-2012, 10:01
No, EMT, "common sense" hasn't changed.

..obtain it, exercise it, maintain it, discipline it, increase it...........

Bolster
07-16-2012, 20:55
If I had the chance to choose, I'd grab the Carhartt pants with the double knees. They are tough as nails but look like "average people" pants.

jp3975
07-16-2012, 21:43
Like this...

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/backgroundartists/312236275/1/tumblr_kvlq4z9Hqa1qzhiqw

syntaxerrorsix
07-17-2012, 12:45
If I had a chance to change out of my work cloths I'd probably opted for my hiking/camping clothes. All synthetics no cotton earth tones and my Danners. My work clothes would be fine as well but the britches are mostly cotton ripstop and don't dry very fast.

UneasyRider
07-17-2012, 17:48
I love pockets and I don't like sweaty wet pants so I wear tactical pants all the time instead of jeans in khaki. I am too old, not that old, for anyone to look at as a threat even though I am big and in good shape. I carry a good nylon shirt in my bag that is multiple earth tones too that is cool in the heat and allows concealed carry. Add a pair of good walking boots and a boonie hat and I am ready to pull on my pack and walk home

Haldor
07-17-2012, 19:02
My preference is for Dickeys work pants with double knees. I wear these every day for work in an office environment and they are just about indestructible (I have several pairs that getting close to 10 years old). They look pretty much like normal Docker style pants unless you examine them carefully.

I have several pair of these in olive green ones that would make great semi-camo pants for Ohio, that don't look out of place in normal life. All of my work pants are Dickeys because I got tired of replacing my Dockers wearing every 2 years.

65% polyester, 35% cotton so they dry relatively quickly and they don't need ironing if you fold them promptly out of the dryer.

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants/Double-Knee-Work-Pant-85283.jsp

Glockdude1
07-17-2012, 19:06
Dress to blend into your environment and the weather...simple.

:agree:

Mike2
07-19-2012, 12:14
I wear 5.11's most everyday but wear a casual shirt and a tee shirt, sometimes I like to wear underarmour stuff depending on how hot its supposed to be outside that being said, I always keep cool/ cold weather gear close at hand as I am extremely cold natured, I am very comfortable in 95 degree heat, usually won't break a sweat unless working very hard but if it drops below 70, I am looking for a light sleeve of some sort. I learned a long time ago to always carry something that you can put on to make your self a little warmer because you cant take off enough clothing to make your self cooler.

Bilbo Bagins
07-19-2012, 12:53
Like this...

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/backgroundartists/312236275/1/tumblr_kvlq4z9Hqa1qzhiqw

+1

When its the end of the world and you are wandering a dry hot desert wasteland you need to wear all leather

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/mel-gibson-mad-max-photograph-c10104041.jpeg