Shot timers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shot timers

Docmusolf
07-15-2012, 21:29
Just starting out in competitions and would like to purchase a shot timer. The ones I have found so far are over 100 dollars. My question is are there any out there at a reasonable price. I can pick up a stop watch for 10 dollars but it will lack all of the additional features that appear to be nice to have but for the difference in cost I am leaning towards one.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

davesretired1
07-15-2012, 23:30
Considering what you'll spend on gear, practice ammo, match ammo, entry fees, etc, etc, a good timer is worth it's weight in gold. I use several Pact timer/chronographs and I've had them since the mid 90's. Their club timer is $130, but for another $60 you can get the chrono model. If you're doing reloading, it's invaluable. I know it's over your budget, but it's worth your consideration.

dr_hefley
07-16-2012, 18:25
It's not a perfect solution but there a some smartphone apps that actually do a decent job. I use a couple of different free shot timer apps when I practice.

vafish
07-16-2012, 18:38
AS Dr hefley said,

If you have a smart phone search your app store.

I use one on my droid it works pretty well.

If not CED makes nice shot timers. Still $120 and up though.

janice6
07-16-2012, 18:44
My son and I both found shot timer apps for our phones for free. His phone is an Iphone and mine is an Android.

They seem to work pretty good, for free.

ronin.45
07-16-2012, 20:07
My Surefire iPhone app works well enough. If you are real serious, a CED 7000 is great.

CDR_Glock
07-16-2012, 20:45
I have a CED 7000. It's loud, it is programmable, and it works very well.

RJ's Guns
07-16-2012, 21:38
I remember in the old days, when IPSC was just getting going, we would use stopwatches. They were very inaccurate and were next to useless for accurately measuring things such as the time to get off your first shot or time between quick follow-up shots. There were even times when some people running the stopwatch would have a “slow thumb” so that they could affect the outcome and some individuals’ ranking in a match. I quickly tired of that type of behavior and purchased a PACT timer and put a stop to that.

RJ

HK Dan
07-17-2012, 16:43
A stopwatch won't do what a shot timer will. A shot timer will give you splits and transitions, you xan time a reload, Hell, HAVE A START SIGNAL.

Bad solution.

I have the Pact Club timer, the CED 7000, and an app for my I pod. I use them interchageably. The Pact is a tank. Simple, but rugged. The CED is sophisiticated and programmable--from shot sensitivity to beeper loudness, and you can score stages with it. Of y9ou get that one then definately get the auxilliary battery pack with it.