Ruger 10/22 magazine issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 magazine issues

mchamm22
07-16-2012, 09:18
So I have a stock Ruger 10/22 I purchased a few years ago. As long as I've owned it I have experienced feeding issues with the factory magazine. The rounds seem to get caught in the mag and I have to tap it a couple times to get them to cycle up. I thought the gun came with a faulty mag so I bought another and have had the same issues. I have taken apart both magazines and cleaned/lubed them and it hasn't seemed to solve the problem. Are the factory Ruger magazines just not built as well as they used to be? Or has anyone else had this problem and figured out a solution? Thanks.

XNDR17C
07-16-2012, 17:20
Are you talking about the 10 round rotary mags, or the 25 round banana mags?
The 10 rounders have always been a very dependable magazine. I like them because they can be taken apart for cleaning, and the tension can be adjusted as they age. I have a boxload of Ruger rotary mags and can't remember if I've EVER had a problem.
Now the newer Ruger 25 round banana style mags seem to have a hit an' miss reputation. I have 2 that are very troublesome with some brands of ammo. Others have had problems also, but then there are other owners who have them and their mags have functioned perfectly.

Do your mags malfunction with ALL ammo or just certain brands or types, like round nose or hollow point?

EPTSSP
07-16-2012, 20:13
I have three of the Ruger 25 round mags. I have had them feeding reliably. I got them from CTD good service.

mchamm22
07-16-2012, 20:18
Sorry, they are the 10 rounders. That's why I'm so stumped because I never had problems with the rotary mags growing up. But I have shot Federal bulk round nose and Remington Gold bullets through it and has the same issues.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Golddog
07-17-2012, 06:42
I've used a half-dozen Ruger rotary mags in a couple of 10/22's and never had a single failure, and I've never seen a problem in any of those magazines in the various 10/22's owned by friends.

mnhogrider
07-17-2012, 07:56
Play with the spring tension making it tighter/looser.

Texas JB
07-25-2012, 01:18
Work that spring

fgutie35
07-25-2012, 02:07
Magazine, may not be sitting correctly in magazine well, if you say it happens to every mag you try. Look for inperfections metal blurrs in mag well that may be keeping the mag from sitting well.

HAMMERHEAD
07-25-2012, 16:10
Does Ruger recommend oil in the magazines?

XNDR17C
07-25-2012, 18:23
Does Ruger recommend oil in the magazines?

No! Lubricants in the mag will rapidly collect dirt and can contaminate the ammunition.

Bill Keith
07-26-2012, 04:35
all good suggestions. Clean and put the mags back together, Pull the action out of the stock, take the barrel off (easy to do) and really clean up the receiver as well.
:wavey:

Ironbar
07-26-2012, 06:58
I like the suggestion of looking for metal burrs all over the place. Use your fingers and run them over any surface where the cartridge might be catching. You'd be surprised how one little hiccup can affect everything else.

And since this is happening with every mag you've bought, I suspect it's a rifle issue and not a mag issue.

mchamm22
07-30-2012, 14:38
Thanks everyone for the advice. Went to the range saturday after I messed with the mags and completely tore down the rifle and cleaned everything and had no hiccups. I tightened the spring in both mags and I think that was the problem. Thanks again and happy Monday!