Not really 1911 related [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not really 1911 related

Ruggles
07-16-2012, 10:44
Not really a 1911 post but to be honest this subforum feels more like "home" than any of the other on Glocktalk so I felt I should post this here. Although we are not exactly beer drinking buddies :drink: I would count the folks on this subforum more of my friends than on any of the others. :wavey:

I would not blame anyone from not reading past this point since it is not 1911 or even gun related. Sorry if it is out of place :embarassed:

Today I am officially a old man I guess. My oldest turned 18 two days ago and today he leaves to go to Lackland AFB for basic training for the USAF. I still have 2 at home (daughter 14 and son 9) but he is my first to leave the nest. Of course I could not be more proud of him and his choice to serve but man is it developing into a tough day. Been a long time since I cried but I might not be able to say that by the end of the day.

Very exciting to see him start his adult life in such a positive way but painful to loose him under any circumstances. He is the fourth generation to serve (from the Army, USMC and USN and now the USAF we have hit them all) in our family so I am glad he is keeping that tradition alive.

Of course his mother is going to be just wrecked tonight emotionally, that alone is going to be tough to see. Not so sure his brother and sister are as upset he is leaving, after all his 9 year old brother is getting his own room now :rofl:

I guess this same things is going on across this great country in many homes today, the price we pay for an all volunteer armed forces.

At his high school graduation in May I witnessed something that still gives me chills. There were 194 kids graduating that night. Three years ago we moved to a small town of 4300 or so people, the graduation was in the local football stadium. As the ceremony progressed they announced all the standard things, valedictorian, scholarship winners, sports stars, honor rolls, perfect attendance etc. As they did this they would announce the kids name and they would stand and then quickly sit with the polite applause to follow. The MC then asked nine kids to stand and remain standing, they were the nine kids ( 2 Army, 4 Navy, 1 USAF & 2 USMC) and who were choosing to serve their country after high school. Those nine kids got the only standing ovation of any group that night. Just seemed where many folks in America today think the armed services are where kids who can't do anything else after high school end up it was nice to see these kids appreciated in such a special way. God bless small town America.

Anyways just wanted to vent a little, thanks to those who read this. If nothing else maybe you saved me a little money on a psychiatrist which I can apply towards a new 1911, so I guess this is a 1911 post after all :)

:usaf:

bruzer
07-16-2012, 11:12
Thank you to your Son. Thank you for raising a young man that will serve our country. Pray to God, Love your Wife and children and continue to save for that new 1911.
Also remember that Active Duty qualify for the Glock LE discount too. Had to throw that in since it is GT we're on.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Ruggles
07-16-2012, 11:34
Thank you to your Son. Thank you for raising a young man that will serve our country. Pray to God, Love your Wife and children and continue to save for that new 1911.
Also remember that Active Duty qualify for the Glock LE discount too. Had to throw that in since it is GT we're on.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Thank you kindly :) I really do appreciate your well wishes.

fnfalman
07-16-2012, 13:21
I remembered we had a seniors class luncheon and at the very end, the various recruiters read our names of who was going into what brands.

TTM65
07-16-2012, 21:38
I graduated at 17 years of age and joined the Navy. I can honestly say it was the best choice I ever made and am thankful for having made that choice to this day. Your son will learn a skill but more importantly he will learn discipline and respect which will take him a long way in life. I do not have children so I can't relate to the empty nest part but you and his mother will be proud for years to come.

gumbee
07-17-2012, 14:24
June 1st 1974 I graduated from HS, June 2nd I was on a plane to Lackland--I remember the look in my dad's (former marine) eyes, now I understand. Thank you for your post and your son's service.

TxGlock9
07-17-2012, 16:08
God bless.

Ruggles
07-17-2012, 19:45
Again thanks all for your kind words. :)

He just called his mom's cell phone. He had roughly 30 seconds to tell us he arrived safely and would be writing us with his mailing address soon. My wife said it was clear he was reading a prewritten statement.

To be 18 again and starting an adventure like that once more :)

AKRover
07-17-2012, 21:50
Thank you Ruggles for your family's service to this country. I pray your son has a long career in the USAF.

G26S239
07-18-2012, 04:07
Congrats on raising a good son Ruggles.

38 Super Fan
07-18-2012, 09:20
When I went through AF Basic Training a few years ago, I think it was as hard on my parents as it was for me. I wish you all well.

Ruggles
07-19-2012, 16:48
Again thanks for the kind words all, it does really help :)