Interesting revalation this weekend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting revalation this weekend

sstecker
07-16-2012, 12:22
I switched to Glocks for my carry guns over the past few months (a Gen4 19, and a Gen4 21). I had avoided Glocks for 4 years becasue I thought I hated them due to a bad experience with a Glock 27 as the first pistol I ever tried. Fast forward a few years and owning 10 different handguns, and firing 1,000's of rounds, I was reintroduced to Glock about 5 months ago. It was a Gen4 19 and I loved it. Did some selling and horse trading over the course of a few months to finance the purchase of a Gen4 19 and a Gen4 21. After some range testing on my own, my perception was that I was faster with the 19, but more accurate with the 21. Believing that faster was better for civilian SD, I had mostly carried the 19.

This past weekend I took an 8 hour long "Stress Fire" handgun course, and struggled to complete the drills quickly and accurately all morning with the 19. I just figured that I was getting a wake-up call, and revealing my true capabilities. Then one of the instructors noticed that I had another gun in my bag and asked what it was. I told him a G21. He said why don't you give that a try and see how you do. I said "OK", but I don't know how it will go. I am more accurate with it during slow controlled fire, but I am also slower due to its size and weight. He just smiled and said, "give it a go".

To make a long story short, I was a totally different shooter all afternoon. I was lights out accurate, and just drilled almost every pinpoint target they put out there for us. I also learned that the confidence in my accuracy lead to not "rushing" the draw and drive out to front sight becasue I knew that once I was there I would drill the target (actually got to the point of being able to accurately fire 1 or 2 rounds on the drive out to front site). By the end of the day the instructors had proven to me (by way of several different timed drills and Tueller drills) that I was actually faster, more accurate, and just an overall better shooter with the 21 than the 19. So now the 21 has moved up to primary carry, and the 19 will be used for when my clothes can't conceal the 21. Luckily for me, my size and shape easily conceals the 21, even in business dress

Chesafreak
07-16-2012, 12:49
I recently had the same realization, G23/G21. I find I shoot much better with the G20/21 sized frame than with the Glock compacts.

AZL
07-16-2012, 13:37
You got hit with the "Different Strokes For Different Folks" proverb!

I have carried a Glock of some model/caliber/format for 20+ years now. When I started with my department, we were issued Smith & Wesson Model 19 wheelguns (had NO latitude for on-duty carry...you carried what you were issued OR purchased one of your own identical model). 18 months later, we were issued the Glock 17 (Gen 2) and detectives got the Glock 19.

I was happy with the Glock...I had purchased a Glock 17 of my own and carried it. When I got my first undercover assignment on my way to a promotion to detective...I was issued a Glock 26 as my duty weapon BUT could still carry my Glock 17. I discovered that I shot the 26 a tiny bit better than the 17! Not more accurately...but faster on times for the same qualifier (I chalk it up to a slightly faster cyclic rate and higher relative slide velocities).

Then we got stuck with the USP 40, which I didn't shoot anywhere near as well as the Glock. With Glock I shot 299/300 and even a BUNCH of 300/300 qualifiers. The best I could turn out with the USP was 297/300 with an average of 294/300.

I used a loophole that allowed an officer to carry a "previously issued or approved firearm" as long as ammunition stocks were available through the armory". I stayed with Glock. As much as I like the Glock 21...I NEVER shot it as well as the Glock 17, 19, or 26. Different Stokes and all that....

I am glad you found the platform that works for you!

fuzzy03cls
07-16-2012, 13:58
I'd say the bigger 21 fit you better. Rather then the actual caliber difference.
I carry a g22 because the g27 I had just didn't agree with me.

Bruce M
07-16-2012, 15:13
I agree that this may well be the size/fit of the gun rather than the caliber. Sounds like you had a good time at the course.

jph02
07-16-2012, 18:20
Great post! Glad you had a good range day that really paid off for you! :)
:welcome:

Lior
07-16-2012, 21:33
Nice learning experience!
The individual fit of pistols is important for attaining both accuracy and speed. Kudos to you for finding a Glock that does the job for you.

(Personally I find Glocks to to be too fat behind the trigger guard, but that's just me).

sstecker
07-17-2012, 11:10
Thanks for the responses and making the new guy feel welcome.

I had never even considered the 9 vs. 45 issue in the difference between the two guns. In my opinion for civilian SD 16 rounds of 9mm or 14 rounds of 45 are a horse-a-piece. I dont really consider either one "superior" to the other for civilian SD either. I do believe that a 45 hits harder, but that's like comparing getting hit while walking through the crosswalk by a car at 60 mph versus a full-size SUV at 45 mph....either collision is going to take you out.

The physical size, and weight of the G21 just works better for me. Prior to getting my G21, the pistol that I shot best with was my Taurus PT92 which is a heavy full-size 9mm gun with a very thick grip. I shoot the G21 and PT92 pretty much equally, so don't think 9mm or 45acp really had much to do with my improvement in the class when I switched from the G19 to the G21.