Should my wife buy an M&P 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should my wife buy an M&P 9mm?

ithaca_deerslayer
07-16-2012, 21:07
She has an XD she likes for IDPA but is stuck in ESP division. If she got something for SSP instead, I think she could make Marksman the next time she tries :)

Glock 34 gen 4 is my pick for her, but the grip is bigger than ideal for her small hands. I've read on GT that the M&P might have a smaller grip. Anyone have the actual grip circumference and trigger reach comparison numbers?

She shoots my 17 gen 4 as well as her XD. The big unkown is the M&P. I don't think we know anyone who has one she could shoot to try. Maybe I should put the word out, in case they just aren't bringing it to our local club matches.

Thinking the M&P9L, for the 5" barrel and long sight radius. Don't think the PRO is sold in the NY 10 round mag setup. Although maybe we could special order one without any mags if I paid enough. Is the PRO worth getting for big bucks over the 9L?

Any other IDPA SSP division allowed guns you'd suggest with a small grip for a woman, at least 10 round mags, a long sight radius, and preferably no transition between the first and subsequent trigger pulls?

bigchuck83
07-16-2012, 22:06
the m&p 9 with the small backstrap installed feels pretty dang small i normally used the large grip insert. Owned the mid size version with 4.25" barrel and it was a good gun i just found something i wanted more at the time. I am sure the M&P 9L would be good as well.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-17-2012, 15:42
the m&p 9 with the small backstrap installed feels pretty dang small

Can it be shot without any backstrap? Would that make it even smaller, like it does with a Glock?

Jim Watson
07-17-2012, 15:47
No. But you get three backstraps instead of two and bare gun as with Glock.

WarEagle32
07-17-2012, 16:26
I'd sure try to find someone that had one for her to try if I were you! I'd go far and rent one if I were you. I like Glocks and XD's a little better. But I'd bet if she handles the other polymers well she would most likely handle the Smith well too!

Rustin
07-18-2012, 04:33
I know the trigger reach is shorter. Don't forget about APEX tactical trigger upgrades if your wife ends up with an m&p. TSA has experience with APEX if you want to give him a shout.

ChicagoZman
07-18-2012, 08:18
The M&P 9 is a joy to shoot if it has a good trigger (about 1 in 10 in my experience). And if the trigger isn't good, an APEX kit will fix it.

gtoguy
07-18-2012, 08:34
Excellent gun !! Crap trigger. Go to Apex. That's what I did. You won't be sorry.

itstime
07-18-2012, 08:48
Mine shoots one. She likes it a lot. The small insert makes it really small.

TxDoubleAgent
07-18-2012, 09:06
If you cared to go up in the caliber, you could put her in a 35 Gen4. The small backstrap or no backstrap will make the grip width 3mm shorter than a Gen 3. That may be just enough for her.

bac1023
07-18-2012, 09:12
Can it be shot without any backstrap? Would that make it even smaller, like it does with a Glock?

The M&P's backstraps switch out. They aren't just added to the base gun like the gen 4 Glocks, so no.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-18-2012, 09:15
If you cared to go up in the caliber, you could put her in a 35 Gen4. The small backstrap will make the grip width 3mm shorter than a Gen 3. That may be just enough for her.

My 17 she has tried is gen 4. The grip and trigger reach is more than her XD, and not quite comfortable enough for her.

She can shoot single well aimed shots from 25 yards, ok. But it is the rapid follow up shots on multiple targets where the large grip perhaps gives her some trouble.

While I believe that with enough effort, she can accomplish a lot with a Glock 34, such as make Marksman or better in IDPA, maybe a smaller grip would help :)

As to .40? Are you kidding me? There's no way she's ever going to .40. She sees absolutely no need for that caliber in our household. .357 mag for hunting, yes. 9mm for range and self-defense, yes. But .40 for anything, no way :rofl:

Me, I wouldn't mind a Glock 27 .40 for the fun of it. Also a Glock 20 10mm :)

MrVvrroomm
07-18-2012, 09:55
My wife started out with an XD9 shooting steel a couple of years ago. She shot a friend's M&P9 Pro and decided she had to have it. She like it and shot it better than her XD. I had some trigger work done on the M&P and she liked it even better.

My wife has very small hands. She was consistently shooting low. She was about 6" low at 25 feet. She was doing plenty of dry fire, but just couldn't get on target with the M&P.

She reluctantly shot one of my Gen4 17's. She instantly was drilling out the center of the targets. She's now using her own Gen4 17 with a glocktriggers.com kit in it for steel, IDPA, and USPSA.

She's tearing it up after the switch.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-18-2012, 10:04
My wife started out with an XD9 shooting steel a couple of years ago. She shot a friend's M&P9 Pro and decided she had to have it. She like it and shot it better than her XD. I had some trigger work done on the M&P and she liked it even better.

My wife has very small hands. She was consistently shooting low. She was about 6" low at 25 feet. She was doing plenty of dry fire, but just couldn't get on target with the M&P.

She reluctantly shot one of my Gen4 17's. She instantly was drilling out the center of the targets. She's now using her own Gen4 17 with a glocktriggers.com kit in it for steel, IDPA, and USPSA.

She's tearing it up after the switch.

Cool.

Did the M&P shoot low from the bench, too? If so the sights were off, I'd guess. If not, then probably was something about the grip that didn't agree with her.

Interesting that your wife found success with the Glock. I still have the Glock 34 as one of the top suggestion for my wife. But I guess there no telling which gun will agree with an individual shooter :)

When my wife rushes shots, like under the clock, she tends to dip the muzzle. Anticipating recoil is what is going on, I suppose. So, she may drop a few IDPA headshots into the top of the body. If she slows down, she keeps them on target. I'm not saying a change in gun is going to fix that :) I'm not sure if she does that less with the Glock. Maybe?

Alright, slow conclusion here. She needs to shoot a qualifier with my Glock 17 g4, just to see where she is with it. Then she can also think about getting the M&P if she wants.

It kinda occurs to me that she won't know if she is going to be dipping the muzzle until the stress of trying to qualify.

MrVvrroomm
07-18-2012, 11:10
Did the M&P shoot low from the bench, too?Sights were dead on. She'd shoot 6" low. I'd grab gun, bang bang bang center hits.

It was one of the most frustrating things ever. She didn't even have a flinch that I could see when she was dry firing. Not even a couple of my Master class USPSA buddies could figure it out.

The only thing we could see what that because the trigger on the M&P is more hook-shaped than that of the Glock, she was dipping the gun just as the shot broke.

When I mean consistent, I mean I could take a straight edge and draw an up/down line on her targets and the shots were perfectly aligned. Her left/right was spot on. She was just shooting everything low.

That problem has disappeared now that she's shooting the Gen4 17.

TheJ
07-18-2012, 11:47
More importantly IMHO, then thickness the full grip is... The trigger reach or lop on my M&P with smalled palm swell is over 4MM shorter than my cocked Gen 4 Glock with no back strap added.

So IMHO the M&P is easier to have good trigger control then a Glock for some people with smaller hands. This has been my experience. YMMV

Wash-ar15
07-18-2012, 11:49
switch the grip for a larger one and see what happens.

Rustin
07-18-2012, 13:25
More importantly IMHO, then thickness the full grip is... The trigger reach or lop on my M&P with smalled palm swell is over 4MM shorter than my cocked Gen 4 Glock with no back strap added.

So IMHO the M&P is easier to have good trigger control then a Glock for some people with smaller hands. This has been my experience. YMMV

Wow!

4mm is a HUGE difference for those with small hands. Heck,it was a big deal for Glock to make their pistols 2mm shorter, so 6mm shorter overall than a Gen3 Glock sounds like a winner.

Glock_your_world
07-19-2012, 06:07
Well all I can say is once I shot my M&P the Glocks never felt good again in my hand and my wife hates the feel of Glocks. So we are now Glockless and at one time I never thought that would happenend but the M&P won me over.

Bren
07-19-2012, 06:14
She has an XD she likes for IDPA but is stuck in ESP division. If she got something for SSP instead, I think she could make Marksman the next time she tries :)

Why not? I used to shoot ESP with SSP guns because there was less competition, but for the classifier, it is harder. I predict she'd prefer the M&P as soon as she shot it.

If she learns the technique of holding the trigger at the break point before the final sight picture, and learns that the sights don't have to be perfect, she'll classify easily.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-19-2012, 06:20
Well all I can say is once I shot my M&P the Glocks never felt good again in my hand and my wife hates the feel of Glocks. So we are now Glockless and at one time I never thought that would happenend but the M&P won me over.

She isn't a Glock fan. I actually bought my 26 many years ago for her, but she didn't like it. That's ok, because I do:)

Nakanokalronin
07-19-2012, 10:01
Remember that the M&P sights are set-up so that it covers the entire target (combat). You try and line up the top of the sight with the middle of the target, you're gonna shoot low.

It may vary with some ammo but that's why it's good to test new ammo before using it for carry, HD or competition.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/94861604_d39105a0e6.jpg

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg

ithaca_deerslayer
07-19-2012, 11:24
Remember that the M&P sights are set-up so that it covers the entire target (combat). You try and line up the top of the sight with the middle of the target, you're gonna shoot low.

It may vary with some ammo but that's why it's good to test new ammo before using it for carry, HD or competition.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/94861604_d39105a0e6.jpg

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sightimages.jpg

You may well know what you saying, but I had also heard that regarding the XD, but then it didn't seem to turn out true for the one I bought. Do you have any links from factory or testing that says how the M&P sights are regulated? Or perhaps you have noticed it on the ones you've seen?

My 92, 17, and wife's 92 compact and XD all shoot dead on using the center hold of sight picture #2 in your diagram. That's when tested with 2" to 3" groups at 25 yards with American Eagle 124gr and Lawman 124gr.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Nakanokalronin
07-19-2012, 14:25
You may well know what you saying, but I had also heard that regarding the XD, but then it didn't seem to turn out true for the one I bought. Do you have any links from factory or testing that says how the M&P sights are regulated? Or perhaps you have noticed it on the ones you've seen?

My 92, 17, and wife's 92 compact and XD all shoot dead on using the center hold of sight picture #2 in your diagram. That's when tested with 2" to 3" groups at 25 yards with American Eagle 124gr and Lawman 124gr.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Many M&P shooters report sight picture #3 as working and a few as #2. Not sure why this is but it can depend on distance and bullet weights. Since most report sight #3, if it's shooting low, cover the middle of the target with the middle of the sight.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-19-2012, 14:40
Many M&P shooters report sight picture #3 as working and a few as #2. Not sure why this is but it can depend on distance and bullet weights. Since most report sight #3, if it's shooting low, cover the middle of the target with the middle of the sight.

Thanks. I'd probably change out the sights, if it ended up shooting low.

This is all hypothetical anyway, at the moment.

TheJ
07-19-2012, 20:11

My M&Ps I use #3 hold and my XDms I use #2 hold.

TheJ
07-19-2012, 20:12
Wow!

4mm is a HUGE difference for those with small hands. Heck,it was a big deal for Glock to make their pistols 2mm shorter, so 6mm shorter overall than a Gen3 Glock sounds like a winner.

I thought so too.

jhmayhem
07-20-2012, 12:16
Since you said your wife can't get her hands on an M&P to try out, I will just report that in my experience most people I know who shoot well with Glocks and XDs are just as good or better with the M&P. However, there are also a number of those who have trouble with the difference in trigger pull and/or sites in the M&P compared to the Glock or XD that they are accustomed to. My brother for example is more accurate with his G19 and friend's XD than he is with his M&P compact, but he is slowly getting there. I'll leave with it will be a bit of a gamble on whether the M&P will be a better fit for your wife, but my money would be on it will be.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-20-2012, 14:56
l'll leave with it will be a bit of a gamble on whether the M&P will be a better fit for your wife, but my money would be on it will be.

Thanks for the info.

No big deal either way. I'd like to have one, for the heck of it :)

Just doesn't seem to be any other choice for her. Any other handguns to look at?

jhmayhem
07-20-2012, 16:31
Thanks for the info.

No big deal either way. I'd like to have one, for the heck of it :)

Just doesn't seem to be any other choice for her. Any other handguns to look at?

I think the M&P is a smart choice given the circumstances. I am not a competitive shooter but I do have smallish hands, and besides glocks I have the most experience with Sig Sauers. I have yet to try one with the DAK trigger but that's what LEOs exclusively use and seem to love.

Ermytraining
07-21-2012, 14:40
I have small hands. Love my Glocktalk 30sf, not a perfect feel, but still my. Favorite shooter. Wife hates it, but loves the M&P I bought for her in 9mm. I will add it does feel more comfortable in my hand with the smaller blackstrap, than my Glock. Trigger not nearly as crisp, but hat can be fixed as said before. I cannot see how she would not be very pleased. My wife's runs like champ right out of the box.

Ermytraining
07-21-2012, 14:42
Oh, and my wife says you should by it for her.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-21-2012, 17:01
Oh, and my wife says you should by it for her.

Have to wait for the wife to pull the trigger on the purchase herself, otherwise I'd get in trouble :)