Random question: nail care after SHTF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Random question: nail care after SHTF

Kevin108
07-16-2012, 23:44
Should you find yourself without nail clipper for the forseeable future, how do you deal with your toe nails? In other words, what did people do before nail clippers?

bpe5008
07-17-2012, 00:35
They used their teeth. Or rubbed it on a rock. Lol Honestly I don't think if you are activly searching for food and trying to survive every day, you won't really care about how to trim your toenails.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Aceman
07-17-2012, 00:59
And this is why I carry not one, but TWO Swiss Climbers...

TangoFoxtrot
07-17-2012, 04:05
Should you find yourself without nail clipper for the forseeable future, how do you deal with your toe nails? In other words, what did people do before nail clippers?

Seriously? I think I'd have a lot more things higher on my priority list to worry about after a SHTF incident.

Maine1
07-17-2012, 04:59
bowie knife

NDCent
07-17-2012, 05:04
Trade silver to the local nail salon. :pjmn:

pugman
07-17-2012, 06:11
Nail cutters have been found dating back to the 8th century BC. This said.

In the "old days" people used their hands and shoes weren't as nice as they are today so nails wore more naturally through friction. Ironically, study after study through remains analysis/looking at cultures today where bare feet is still the norm show with the invention of shoes foot problems in the human race as a whole have gotten worse.

Trimmers are so cheap, no reason not to have 2-3 sitting in a box somewhere.

However, if I lost all my trimmers and the zombie apocolypse made it impossible to trek down to the local drug store and see if they had an extra set I could trade for some zombie scalps I would personally use a file

quake
07-17-2012, 08:31
...Trimmers are so cheap, no reason not to have 2-3 sitting in a box somewhere...

+1

Things like this are easy & cheap to put back a near lifetime supply of, and simply having them on hand can eliminate annoyances in non-emergency situations as well. Razor blades can be the same way depending on what you use; for less than fifty dollars I got nearly a decade's worth of normal usage put back. Micro-usb cables is an example of one we just went thru recently. My phone, my wife's phone, my kindle; numerous things use the same micro-usb connector for charging and/or data connection, and we found ourselves regularly looking for one for either house or vehicle use. For the price of one at the store, we bought a half-dozen online, and now should be done with it for a long time. Toothbrushes, work gloves, zip ties, non-electric can openers, candles if you like them; all kinds of things that can be had at great prices occasionally (often seasonally), and so can be had so much cheaper that a handful of them can be had for the price of one, if simply bought before they're actually needed.

RED64CJ5
07-17-2012, 08:50
Nail care?

Two words for you that all self-surgery-types must own:

DIAGONAL CUTTERS a.k.a. "Dikes"

You can do almost any kind of nail work with them.

quake
07-17-2012, 08:59
... a.k.a. "Dikes"

Don't be so intolerant. It's "women in comfortable shoes"... :whistling:

RWBlue
07-17-2012, 09:30
I have a swiss army knife. It has scisors.

Kevin108
07-17-2012, 09:42
Honestly I don't think if you are activly searching for food and trying to survive every day, you won't really care about how to trim your toenails.
As a result of having bizarrely-dimensioned feet, I have only recently been able to own shoes that really fit. As a result, I have some seriously screwed up toenails. One I'm getting ready to have removed...permanently...for the 3rd time. The other I have a specific tool for working on. I was doing so last night when the thought occurred to me.

syntaxerrorsix
07-17-2012, 12:38
My knives are sharp enough to trim my nails with. I trim fingernails frequently in the field if one cracks or splits.

Woofie
07-17-2012, 15:56
Trimmers are so cheap, no reason not to have 2-3 sitting in a box somewhere.

Meh . . . They cheap ones just break when I tackle my big toe.:supergrin:

pugman
07-17-2012, 18:14
Meh . . . They cheap ones just break when I tackle my big toe.:supergrin:

Which is why on my big toe I use an ax

michael e
07-17-2012, 18:35
I have a dozen of them around the house, I have issues with big toes so I would still have to cut them zombies or not. Worst case I could use a knife , my grandmother used to do that for me as a kid when they bothered me.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-18-2012, 08:41
As a result, I have some seriously screwed up toenails....

I was doing so last night when the thought occurred to me.

Then, just like all other S&P stuff, if you have some out of the ordinary need about something you feel will be a problem after SHTF, you need to go now and buy backups to your backups.. so if needed, it doesn't become an issue.

Whatever "tool" you are using now, you should buy multiples of now. Simple as that. I honestly just tear mine off. No tools needed.

Babynine
07-18-2012, 09:01
Once had a poorly trimmed large toenail wear a hole in the Gore-Tex membrane on a $230 pair of Meindl leather boots. First the toenail had to work its way through a $18 pair of SmartWool socks to make it happen! Luckily the boots are still 100% waterproof do to the quality leather, but I learned my lesson and keep both a fingernail and toenail clipper in my pack at all times.

If the SHTF, I'm guessing your feet, and footwear may be some of the most important gear you have. Best take care of 'em.

ChuteTheMall
07-18-2012, 09:20
Cold Steel Trail Hawk

RonS
07-18-2012, 10:07
Leatherman. Just grip and pull. Hurts like heck but once it is done your socks last a lot longer.

MrGlock21
07-18-2012, 14:27
Who doesn't have a wire cutter in the truck?

Spiffums
07-18-2012, 17:28
Nail care?

Two words for you that all self-surgery-types must own:

DIAGONAL CUTTERS a.k.a. "Dikes"

You can do almost any kind of nail work with them.

These are what Doctors use to clip the corner when you have an ingrown toenail.

Spiffums
07-18-2012, 17:30
A big pair of scissors would work also.

RWBlue
07-18-2012, 18:58
+1

Things like this are easy & cheap to put back a near lifetime supply of, and simply having them on hand can eliminate annoyances in non-emergency situations as well. Razor blades can be the same way depending on what you use; for less than fifty dollars I got nearly a decade's worth of normal usage put back. Micro-usb cables is an example of one we just went thru recently. My phone, my wife's phone, my kindle; numerous things use the same micro-usb connector for charging and/or data connection, and we found ourselves regularly looking for one for either house or vehicle use. For the price of one at the store, we bought a half-dozen online, and now should be done with it for a long time. Toothbrushes, work gloves, zip ties, non-electric can openers, candles if you like them; all kinds of things that can be had at great prices occasionally (often seasonally), and so can be had so much cheaper that a handful of them can be had for the price of one, if simply bought before they're actually needed.

i will agree having extras of a few things is a good thing....

amazon.comas the best prices on cables

rasor blades....i swear they go dull just sitting there. i keep them for about a year, no more than that. i would be tempted to get a traditional straight rasor, but....

Dexters
07-18-2012, 19:31
Seriously? I think I'd have a lot more things higher on my priority list to worry about after a SHTF incident.

Disagree.

Bacteria and viruses are killers. Your immune system is weakened when a person is under stress like in the SHTF.

Clean hands and nails will go a long way in keeping you healthy.

Drjones
07-18-2012, 22:02
Ironically, study after study through remains analysis/looking at cultures today where bare feet is still the norm show with the invention of shoes foot problems in the human race as a whole have gotten worse.

Yet I & so many other GT'ers get laughed off the forums for advocating Vibram Five Fingers & similar shoes.....

To answer the others, small comforts make a big difference in SHTF....there are many, many threads here talking of the necessity of playing cards, aspirin, books, etc....nail clippers are definitely not something to ignore....this is a good call.

I'll stash a couple extra sets somewhere....

Speaking of which, you're supposed to be able to use the Spyderco Sharpmaker to sharpen nail clippers....anyone do so? Or just buy another clipper?

quake
07-19-2012, 15:03
...i would be tempted to get a traditional straight rasor, but....

If you can find an old Rolls Razor that's not worn out, they're a phenomenal concept. Permanent blade like a straight razor, but used like a normal safety razor:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/rollsnkd.jpg

It uses a jig & superfine honing stone to resharpen:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/razor.jpg

I have one that's approaching the stage of worn-out; still useable, but not my primary by any means. Mainly I appreciate the concept & workmanship on it. Thing's from the 1930's and still works.

If someone came out with a new version, I'd be all over it, almost regardless of price.

RYT 2BER
07-19-2012, 19:54
As a result of having bizarrely-dimensioned feet, I have only recently been able to own shoes that really fit. As a result, I have some seriously screwed up toenails. One I'm getting ready to have removed...permanently...for the 3rd time. The other I have a specific tool for working on. I was doing so last night when the thought occurred to me.

This is one of those rare cases on GT where this thread is "NOT" worthless without pics! :ack:

bernie herd
07-20-2012, 19:13
Palmolive - "You're Soaking In It" (Commercial, 1981) - YouTube

Carry this with you. Good for your hands and you can wash with it. I have to say, I'm one who carry finger nail clippers with me in my truck and always close by. Kind of O/C about this.