Picked up my first Makarov [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my first Makarov

H&K .45 AUTO
07-17-2012, 16:38
I traded my way into a new pistol yesterday. Having owned just about one of everything over the years, I decided it was time to try one out. Why I hadn't done so before, I have no clue considering that I am an AK fanatic, and am also a big fan of the Mosin Nagant rifles (seems I am drawn to the commie guns for some reason).

Anyway, I got myself an IJ-70, which is a Russian Makarov that was made for the commercial export market. Mine came chambered for .380 ACP from the factory. The difference between the commercial and milsurp versions being that the commercial version has an adjustable rear sight to allow for importation into the US as a "sporting" gun.

The pistol looks basically like brand new, and came with the original factory box, manual, warranty cards, take down tool, cleaning rod, brown leather military style holster, 2 magazines, a spare recoil spring, and a brand new chrome lined barrel in 9x18 Makarov.

From what I can tell, I am going to really like this gun. Anybody else here a fan of the Makarov pistol?

Metal Angel
07-17-2012, 16:43
:needspics:

I want a Mak so bad... I have a long list though...

fnfalman
07-17-2012, 18:24
Damn, dude. You got the whole kitten & caboodle!!!

I just got the IJ70 with two mags and a leather holster. From what I understand the finish of the commercial model is much nicer than the military model. The bluing on mine is smooth and even. Better than what Ruger would call "bluing" and easily matches Smith&Wesson bluing.

I wonder if I should go find a .380 barrel for it? 9mm Mak ammo isn't exactly cheap and plentiful nowadays.

PS Yes, I am a fan of the Mak and the Tok too. Stupid of me to stick my nose up in the air about commies guns back in the days when they were dirt cheap.

I traded my way into a new pistol yesterday. Having owned just about one of everything over the years, I decided it was time to try one out. Why I hadn't done so before, I have no clue considering that I am an AK fanatic, and am also a big fan of the Mosin Nagant rifles (seems I am drawn to the commie guns for some reason).

Anyway, I got myself an IJ-70, which is a Russian Makarov that was made for the commercial export market. Mine came chambered for .380 ACP from the factory. The difference between the commercial and milsurp versions being that the commercial version has an adjustable rear sight to allow for importation into the US as a "sporting" gun.

The pistol looks basically like brand new, and came with the original factory box, manual, warranty cards, take down tool, cleaning rod, brown leather military style holster, 2 magazines, a spare recoil spring, and a brand new chrome lined barrel in 9x18 Makarov.

From what I can tell, I am going to really like this gun. Anybody else here a fan of the Makarov pistol?

Decguns
07-17-2012, 18:40
Mak's have been consistent sellers in the shop for 20+ years. Just something about them appeals to a lot of folks. For concealed carry, they work rather well if you're strong enough to rack the slide on a blow back pistol. Couple that with the snappy recoil, and it's not quite the right piece for a lot of women. With their fixed barrel, they tend to be quite accurate in spite of the tiny little sights. People buy them up whether in 9MM Mak or 380 ACP. Russian is sooo much the better. Great find!

The only funny thing is that a lot of the Mak's on the market right now aren't true Makarovs. They look similar, but aren't exact copies. I don't think most of us care. I carry this little Feg SMC-380 during the summer months. It's not technically a Mak either, but it is reknowned for being the smallest pistol allowed to be imported after the GCA. I like to stoke it with Lapua submachinegun ammo.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/worland/100_0724.jpg

AZ Jeff
07-17-2012, 19:14
I carry this little Feg SMC-380 during the summer months.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/worland/100_0724.jpg

Does the SMC-380 have an aluminum frame like the PA-63 or is it steel?

bac1023
07-17-2012, 19:42
Congrats! :cool:

I've got a Russian Mak and its been great.

Berto
07-17-2012, 19:47
Even at today's prices, the Makarovs are good buys, IMO.
They are reliable and accurate, can be loaded with decent defense ammo.

My friend has the IJ70, I like the adj sights, just keep an eye on the rear sight screw, use blue loc tite on it so it doesn't loosen and go awol.

I have a Bulgarian, great shooter.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8729/everything181.jpg

Deaf Smith
07-17-2012, 20:02
What do you guys say about a EG mak for $250. It has Peirce grips but it IS a EG.

Deaf

Berto
07-17-2012, 20:11
I can't believe you don't have one already, Deaf.....that's a great deal.

Deaf Smith
07-17-2012, 20:42
Oh I do have one Berto.. A EG I got for $105 bucks years back.

But I saw this one (been there for months) and it's still there.

I dunno... I need another Mak like I need another Glock or S&W or Colt or Ruger Speed SIx or..

Deaf

Russ in PA
07-18-2012, 00:23
What do you guys say about a EG mak for $250. It has Peirce grips but it IS a EG.

Deaf

$250. is a great price for an EG mak. Average price on those nowadays seems to be $350 - $400. for a clean one.

H&K .45 AUTO
07-18-2012, 14:26
Glad to hear I'm not alone with regard to the Makarov on these boards. I do have a bit of regret in that I didn't hold out for a Bulgarian considering that's what I had initially wanted to get. By the way Berto... Nice grips on yours! On the bright side, I have finally found a gun I like that isn't uber-expensive. I do have a b-day coming up. Maybe I can drop a hint to the wife.