Which “survivalist” show on TV is most laughable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which “survivalist” show on TV is most laughable?

Kozel
07-17-2012, 19:56
Which “survivalist” show on TV is most laughable?

Bear Grylls is a total clown. Good laughs.

“Dual survival” is second best. Barefoot Goldilocks and Fool-in-The-Hat is the second best for laughs.

Now the “Mountain Men” is starting to get funny.

Only Les Shroud seems to be reasonable with that guy on “Man Woman Wild” being distant second.

TangoFoxtrot
07-18-2012, 03:27
Les Stroud for sure. He spends more time screwing around with cameras, then he does teaching. He can be very annoying.

OMEGA5
07-18-2012, 04:18
All of them!
Dano :harley:

Toyman
07-18-2012, 05:48
Dual survival by far. Running around in the Montana wilderness during the winter in shorts and stocking feet? Completely ridiculous! Beyond laughable.

Bear Grylls is a close second, basically does all kinds of stuff that you shouldn't.

John Rambo
07-18-2012, 06:42
Les Stroud for sure. He spends more time screwing around with cameras, then he does teaching. He can be very annoying.

Are you out of your damn mind? Les Stroud is the baddest mf'er to ever do a series like that. Better than that Bear Gryllis faker who travels with a camera crew and gets put into made-up situations, in between whoring around cheap rebranded Gerber gear. I've learned a whole lot from watching Les Stroud.

I'm gonna go with Bear Gryllis as #1, in fact. He has no business talking about survival when he isn't really in a survival situation at all.

WhiskeyUnicorn
07-18-2012, 06:51
I like les stroud and man woman wild. Bear grylls is a brand whoring yuppie. The hippy and other fella are obnoxious. I like mountain men its a decent show but not for survival

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

quake
07-18-2012, 06:55
Have to agree with John Rambo on this one. (Was bound to happen eventually... :supergrin: )

I don't know if he's the "baddest", but he definitely seems the most rational - or maybe just the most adult-like - of the ones I've seen.

pmwglock19
07-18-2012, 08:18
The best id Les Stroud out there. The jokes are below:

Bear Grylis - fake and stupid.
Dual Survival -At least you can learn something, but the 2 men are extreme in how they do it. Can only take watching it if nothing else is on.
Mountain Men - The alaskan is a joke with all the problems he created for himself. Eustace has his hands in too many fires and the couple in wyoming has trouble finding food. How has he lasted this long out there.
Survivor - complete joke, just a game show.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-18-2012, 08:42
Gilligan's Island.

cowboy1964
07-18-2012, 12:50
Are all the bugs and whatnot Bear eats fake? I wonder how many of the people that call him a joke can do that?

Les Stroud isn't THAT impressive. He even admits sometimes that he's "never done this before". Greeeeat.

Here's a better question: If YOU were in a real survival situation and could pick one of these people to be with you, who would you pick? I'd pick Bear. Or Ginger.

CitizenOfDreams
07-18-2012, 13:07
Here's a better question: If YOU were in a real survival situation and could pick one of these people to be with you, who would you pick?

Which one has more meat?

Catshooter
07-18-2012, 13:10
You guys watch TV?

Who knew . . .

Cat

John Rambo
07-18-2012, 13:27
Are all the bugs and whatnot Bear eats fake? I wonder how many of the people that call him a joke can do that?

Every idiot on that old gameshow ate bugs and balls and nasty stuff too. Whats your point?

Les Stroud isn't THAT impressive. He even admits sometimes that he's "never done this before". Greeeeat.

Here's a better question: If YOU were in a real survival situation and could pick one of these people to be with you, who would you pick? I'd pick Bear. Or Ginger.

Considering Bear Gryllis is a faker and Les Stroud really does it, Les Strous wins without any kind of hesitation.

FatBoy
07-18-2012, 14:04

Well, I guess what was the exact survival situation? In his show he does stuff that is just damn crazy and not what a rational personal would do in a similar situation, IF they were alone in the wilderness. He may/does have the skills when there is a whole crew to prep and help if he gets into trouble, but alone you wouldn't catch me doing a lot of that foolishness. What are the chances of a life vest suddenly appearing under your shirt just as you jump into the Colorado(?) River to free float downstream to save time, or when you decide to climb down a waterfall to save time a rope appears mixed in w/ the natural vines you are using to descend. Bear does have some military training that may come in handy depending on the exact situation adn has climbed Everest so he does have skill, but his show is not what I would think a "Survivalist" would do to survive alone.

Les is all by himself. If he gets into deep dodo, he is toast. He takes less chances and will take the safer route when choosing his options as there are no miracle ropes, life vests, or someone to lend a hand if he gets into trouble. Well, except for his emergency radio.

Just on the shows, I choose Les, but Bear has skills that aren't really part of the show.

itstime
07-18-2012, 14:24
As the barefoot hippy goes in Dual, I give him credit. He is doing what he believes in and sticks to it.

If I were stuck in the desert, he would be the one I want with me for sure.

I can tell you for fact, the producers have the say in what goes on tape. Not the people in the show. There have been episodes where I know one person did not want to do what the producer wanted and in the end the producer won. Education loses for big and shiny.

quake
07-18-2012, 15:05
Many here, including myself, have done that. It's unusual for us americans, but not abnormal for a whole lot of the world. Doesn't make you uber-tough, just takes a little (not a lot) of self-control.

"Never done it before" can be said of a whole lot of things for each of us; sometimes on a daily basis. Being able to repeat something is a good thing, but being able to accomplish new things is even better.

I'd pick Les Stroud, one of my hillbilly family members, or even one of my grown boys over Grylls. At least I know my family members are honest, which is something that Grylls has been repeatedly documented to just not be. (Search out "lava sets Grylls' shoes on fire" or similar for one of my favorite fraudulent Grylls episodes. :rofl: ) Guy may well be competent, but even if so, he's also a documented fraud; and that makes him someone I would NOT want at my back in a survival situation.

Then again, I'd pick Mary Ann over Ginger for that matter.

Lt Scott 14
07-18-2012, 15:14
Bear's tv days are over.(for now) Les Stroud gets my vote for his use of skills, and he admits doesn't know everything. He gets a briefing, bunch of cameras(some is crap-too heavy) and his multitool to survive, and the schmalzy harmonica or guitar.
Myke Hawks is interesting, wifey is a dish, and does it for the audience. Watching her eat bugs, and vomiting can't be faked, she gets a vote also.

collim1
07-18-2012, 16:45
I gotta stick up for Cody Lundin. I have read both of his books. Yes, he himself does not wear socks and shoes, but he does not tell people to try that.

He is awesome at primitive fire and making water potable.

FatBoy
07-18-2012, 19:36
At least I know my family members are honest, which is something that Grylls has been repeatedly documented to just not be. (Search out "lava sets Grylls' shoes on fire" or similar for one of my favorite fraudulent Grylls episodes. :rofl: ) Guy may well be competent, but even if so, he's also a documented fraud; and that makes him someone I would NOT want at my back in a survival situation.

Then again, I'd pick Mary Ann over Ginger for that matter.

Yes and yes

Syclone538
07-18-2012, 22:19
I think I've seen all of Les Stroud's shows, and I've seen probably 2 or 3 of Bear Grills.

Les is pretty good I think, other then the fact that he is basically starving all week.

If Bear did a show like Les, and acted like he did on his own, he would die in episode #1.

edit

I actually like some of the "I Should't be Alive" episodes too.

TangoFoxtrot
07-19-2012, 04:48
Are you out of your damn mind? Les Stroud is the baddest mf'er to ever do a series like that. Better than that Bear Gryllis faker who travels with a camera crew and gets put into made-up situations, in between whoring around cheap rebranded Gerber gear. I've learned a whole lot from watching Les Stroud.

I'm gonna go with Bear Gryllis as #1, in fact. He has no business talking about survival when he isn't really in a survival situation at all.

Out of my damn mind?? You can't have one if you think Les Stroud is a bad mf'er. I think he would crap his pants if he had to defend himself. He is nothing but a Canadian tree hugger and booorrriiinnngg! :eric:

Bren
07-19-2012, 05:39
Les Stroud's show is good, if it's a reality gameshow, since he seems to do it without much help. If the point of the show is to learn survival facts and skills, then Bear Grylls - I don't know of any reason the show should be actual survival. What it should be is, the guy goes to Alaska, stays in a hotel, and goes out to the wild and films some scenes showing skills that could be used. Anything else, like pretending it's real survival, is crap.

20South
07-19-2012, 08:38
I am not a Bear Grylls fanboy or anything, but I have to think the guy is mentally tough. He was a special forces soldier which is an accomplishment on its own and he did break his back in a parachuting accident and managed to get through it and keep up his risk taking (smart or not thats no minor injury). I guess my point is, regardless of his theater, in a real survival situation where you need to really push yourself through some awful things, it seems to me that his background makes him someone that would be good to have in the field with you.

Mike2
07-19-2012, 11:45
I have seen Man Woman Wild a couple of times and they get my vote but only because she is smokin hot but there show does present some useful information, just wish I had more time to watch TV, I have waaaay too many irons in the fire to watch much tv

FireForged
07-19-2012, 16:12
Everytime I notice that a new possibly "interesting" gun, shooting, survival type show airs, it always turns out to be a over produces sillyness. Over produced by people who have no idea about the subject matter but opt for kooky video game like splash entertainment.

note to producers:

Nobody would ever mount 4 m4's to a rotisserie.

Beta-c mags are just a novelty.

Watermelons that are shot with a 5.56 projectile do not explode with a huge fireball, smoke and added secondary explsions. and no, we dont need to see it replayed 4 times from different angles for effect.

stop going to commercial each time someone takes a shot at a target.. cause I'll just change the channel.

stop taking up 15min of each 30min show, talking about why cody doesnt wear shoes.

dont over dramatize the safety aspects of firing a 44mag into a bullet trap but then have the people standing around you just plug their ears with their fingers.

If you want to have a pretty girl on the show, wearing a bikini top and mini skirt, fine.. but at least let her wear some sensible footware while she is carrying a ak47 across the rocky desert.

If a person only has to say 2 or 3 sentences, stop letting them read it off a que card.

Lone Kimono
07-19-2012, 19:18
I have a ton of respect for Les. His body paid a toll filming those shows, so I don't blame him for giving it up.

ray9898
07-23-2012, 12:56
To me Les has the purest show of that type. Lets face it, survival is not pretty or exciting. He shows what survival really looks like and teaches you a few things along the way.

The other shows all try to add an element of excitement to the mix to draw a bigger audience. They all have various levels of BS but Bear took to a level that no one else did. His show was about shock factor, nothing else.

wjv
07-23-2012, 14:25
Gilligan's Island.

Hell, that was one of the better ones!

Warp
07-23-2012, 22:33
Les Stroud's is the only one I have ever watched.

The vast majority of television is, IMO, utter crap not worthy of watching.

Maine1
07-24-2012, 00:18
its "reality" TV.
Its *****.
Its an insult to those of us who DO go outside,or live in the country.
Drama for drama's sake.
Cody IS a really knowledgeable person who has been in the field for years- I am surprised that he has been able to put up with the BS this long.

Mountain men LOOKED good, then i saw it- bears/wolves EVERWHERE? Indeed. Gotta collect a little piddly stack of wood...daily? What the **** did you do all summer? One duck is a "score?". Again, drama for dramas sake.
Old Eustace taking the horses to town- 'cuz there ain't no road, ya see- after we saw them chase a 4 wheeler down a nice gravel road better than my driveway. Taking after a trespasser, on foot. "tracking" him. Instead of going to the gravel road, which you know is there, and sitting next to his 'wheeler? Again..drama.

These shows are used to manipulate the opinions of others against country folks, appearing sympathetic, but really its a backhanded compliment.
"those people cannot even think ahead to store food and firewood for the winter during the summer months. They must not be allowed to own those evil black rifles, eh Muffy?

Les seems pretty decent, down to earth..but its still TV.

Seems funny that they send people into hostile environments purposely Ill equipped, when said people know better.

My show would have a VERY short run. I'd pull out my concealed knife or firestarter, and some director/producer would start to raise a fuss..and we would have a show showing how to make "slow- roasted hollywood pinhead". Then i go to prison.
Just a thought!

Catshooter
07-24-2012, 12:50
Are you guys serious? You really watch this stuff? Like Maine1 said, it's TV. Haven't you learned by now that 'truth' and the media are strangers?

I suppose you believe what you read in the papers too?

I'd post more but Santa's knocking at my door . . .

Cat

Huntinfool
07-25-2012, 14:56
Are you guys serious? You really watch this stuff? Like Maine1 said, it's TV. Haven't you learned by now that 'truth' and the media are strangers?

I suppose you believe what you read in the papers too?

I'd post more but Santa's knocking at my door . . .

Cat

My thoughts exactly, I watched part of one of Bear Grillis's show and surfed away and never came back!

I have watched the Mountain men once or twice just to laugh at em.

~HF~

Toyman
07-26-2012, 05:28
Are you guys serious? You really watch this stuff?

Sometimes these things are entertaining, even if they are stupid.

Sometimes you can learn a thing or two.

Sometimes you can learn what NOT to do.

Sometimes you can get an idea about something else just from seeing something on the show.

Catshooter
07-26-2012, 08:14
But what a waste of hours for a possiblility of maybe learning something? No thanks, I don't have enough hours in a day as it is.

Besides, it's the same as feeding a troll on the 'net. It just encourages them.

Cat

Deputydave
07-26-2012, 12:21
Here's the way I look at it;

Cody Lundin - Of all the people that make these shows, he's the ONLY one that lives this way on a daily basis. He lives completely off the grid, makes his own energy, grows food, catches water etc. He has experience NONE of the others can claim in the totality of survival. The rest, when filming is done go back to their on-the-grid homes and live a pretty modern life.

As far as the barefoot thing goes, he makes a good point in that half the world STILL goes barefoot in many of the environments presented in the show. By doing it himself he is at least walking the walk.

I've learned a ton of practical/useable information from both of his books.

I like the fact that he takes his time and intelligently tackles a problem/challenge.

You can't even get a class with him this year, his classes are full. If I had to pick one person to survive in the 'wild' with, it would be Cody.

Mykle Hawke - He would be my second choice, and a very close one at that. He also tackles a situation from an intelligent point-of-view. His advice is practical and useable as well and although he doesn't live this way 24/7 like Cody, he has seen more than his share of field work.

He seems to be a calm teacher and one you could easily learn from. I've learned quite a bit from him.

Les Stroud - I give credit where it is due, he goes out by himself for usually double the time the others go into a survival situation. He packs more gear (cameras) since he has to do his own filming. This puts an additional burden on him in that he has to survive the environment as well as be the 'director/star' of the show i.e. get good shots, make it interesteing etc. I'd say he's done a very fine job.

Dave Canterbury - I like Dave. I don't know if all the hype/hate on him is factual and don't really care. I think he is pure alpha-male which is good and bad. I've learned stuff from him i.e. what to do...and what not to do. Yes, he's done some dumb-**** things like chase warthogs in lion country and slice open his arm. But then, you've got to have big, brass balls to chase warthogs in lion country and slice your own arm open.

Bear Grylls - Okay, yeah my least favorite. Yeah, some dumb **** stuff. Yeah, some not-to-do-ever things. And for pete's sake...try walking instead of running and jumping over stuff. Y'know...conserve some calories might just be important in an emergency.

Having said that, and even though he's my least favorite I'll give the nod for sheer balls in some of the stuff he's done. he holds some records and is likeable enough.

Ruth Hawke - Well what can I say? If I were stranded on a desert island and Ginger and/or Mary Ann wasn't there....

shyguy
07-27-2012, 10:15
What's a TV?

kirgi08
07-27-2012, 10:35
Les is off grid also.'08.

Deputydave
07-27-2012, 13:32
Les is off grid also.'08.

I was unaware of this, that puts him up a notch imo. Thank you.

Kevin108
08-05-2012, 19:44
As the barefoot hippy goes in Dual, I give him credit. He is doing what he believes in and sticks to it.

I can tell you for fact, the producers have the say in what goes on tape. Not the people in the show. There have been episodes where I know one person did not want to do what the producer wanted and in the end the producer won. Education loses for big and shiny.

I even think that whole show has backfired for the producers. I think they wanted those guys to go at it tooth and nail of every little thing but each of them are smart enough to know the value of cooperation and cool heads in a survival scenario. Yes, there's some ridiculous stuff on the show but I've read a book from Cody and watched a ton of Dave's YouTube stuff. These guys know their ****, for sure.

emt1581
08-05-2012, 20:07
I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead.

Most of the "reality survival" shows (in the wilderness) just cause me to sit and yell at my tv.

Let's see one where they drop a guy in a gang infested ghetto for a few days. Plenty of them right here in the US! Kinda like a Running Man meets Escape From LA/NY...but "real".

The ones where they pretend to simulate an urban survival situation (i.e. The Colony) and really any similar concept can't really be close to realistic. No one is allowed to die for real, no real attacks or assaults, no real deprivation, etc.

I know years ago in Russia they had a reality show where if you could successfully steal their car you got to keep it but if you got caught (by the real Police) you went to jail...

Nothing even close to being that "real" in this country.

-Emt1581

F_G
08-06-2012, 15:08
.............pick Bear. Or Ginger.I prefer the innocent farm girl from Kansas, I'd take Mary Ann.

I'm guessing the Chik-Fil-A haters would pick Gilligan, or maybe the Professor.

Warp
08-06-2012, 15:55
I prefer the innocent farm girl from Kansas, I'd take Mary Ann.

I'm guessing the Chik-Fil-A haters would pick Gilligan, or maybe the Professor.

OR the "Chik-Fil-A haters" are concerned with every person having freedom and the right to do as they wish...perhaps the "haters" dislike the idea of the government using religious beliefs as an excuse to use the force of law to tell people they cannot do things...and perhaps those same people choose not to support people or businesses that agree with the government sticking its nose into people's personal lives.

Lone Hunter
08-06-2012, 19:30
They are TV shows, the number one goal is to draw in viewers. Joe Six pack likes to talk about squeezing elephant dung for fuilds around the water cooler, not watch a guy build a shelter and wait for help.....

They are not about teaching you anything, thats not the point or goal, entertainment is .

All 'reality" shows a fake to a degree, scriped, reshot,edited to the max, things faked and planted(Storage Wars, the old guy BTW never bought a locker in his life before being hired for the TV SHOW...)

and capt. kirk never flew in space. sorry its true

F_G
08-06-2012, 19:46
OR the "Chik-Fil-A haters" are concerned with every person having freedom and the right to do as they wish...perhaps the "haters" dislike the idea of the government using religious beliefs as an excuse to use the force of law to tell people they cannot do things...and perhaps those same people choose not to support people or businesses that agree with the government sticking its nose into people's personal lives.Kind of a comical thread, guessing your sense of humor has been removed........possibly by a proctologist?

Dirk Pitt
08-07-2012, 08:01
Gilligans Island, I think that is a poor representation of a survival situation. I would not mind being stuck with Ginger and Mary Ann but not very realistic............

Stevekozak
08-07-2012, 08:18
Kind of a comical thread, guessing your sense of humor has been removed........possibly by a proctologist?
Probably about the same time he bought that new pack of pink panties and then immediately proceeded to get them in a wad...... :whistling:

Deputydave
08-09-2012, 10:14
They are TV shows, the number one goal is to draw in viewers.

Cody talks about this pretty frankly on his website. Seems like sometimes it is a struggle to try to keep it real. He said in the end sometimes he wins, sometimes he doesn't.

Still looking forward to season 3 through. :wavey:

And some memorable lines do come out of the show, "a duct tape boat...what could possibley go wrong"?
:)

Toyman
08-09-2012, 12:22
I have a ton of respect for Les. His body paid a toll filming those shows, so I don't blame him for giving it up.

He's Baaaaacckkkk!

The Survivorman Returns to Discovery
http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/the-survivorman-returns-to-discovery.html

TangoFoxtrot
08-11-2012, 06:43
Gilligans Island, I think that is a poor representation of a survival situation. I would not mind being stuck with Ginger and Mary Ann but not very realistic............

It was meant to be a comedy, not a survival series.

swordsmn
08-11-2012, 11:59
I gotta stick up for Cody Lundin. I have read both of his books. Yes, he himself does not wear socks and shoes, but he does not tell people to try that.

He is awesome at primitive fire and making water potable.

I agree.. Have read his books as well & I think if I was in a desert in trouble, he'd be a good guy to have around.

I like their show. Wife likes Dave Canterbury(sp?) Hey, she supports our prepping she can
oggle who she wants to eh?

pizza
08-19-2012, 16:51
He's Baaaaacckkkk!

The Survivorman Returns to Discovery
http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/the-survivorman-returns-to-discovery.html

Season premiere tonight 7pm CST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jdavionic
08-19-2012, 16:56
Les Stroud is about the only one that is not laughable. I think The Colony and Gilligan's Island are tied for most laughable...however, Gilligan's Island was intended to be funny; so perhaps that means The Colony should be the winner.

Leigh
08-20-2012, 07:54
Go back 40+ years (and further) and you will discover that 99.9999% of all outdoor survival skills have been perfected and that these television shows are attempting to find "new" ways to make the "old" skills appear entertaining.

Does anyone here recognize the name Bradford Angier? He wrote one of the most definitive outdoor survival books to date ('How to Stay Alive in the Woods') which should still be a part of everyone who ventures into the boonies required reading.

All said, Les Stroud's show appears to be the most realistic.

youngdocglock
08-20-2012, 07:57
Whichever one has bear griylls.....man is a joke and so are his scenarios. However i like the one with les stroud.

Babynine
08-20-2012, 08:31
Screw the cable tv bs....Mors Kochanski is the Boss!

quake
08-20-2012, 09:48
Go back 40+ years (and further) and you will discover that 99.9999% of all outdoor survival skills have been perfected and that these television shows are attempting to find "new" ways to make the "old" skills appear entertaining.

Does anyone here recognize the name Bradford Angier? He wrote one of the most definitive outdoor survival books to date ('How to Stay Alive in the Woods') which should still be a part of everyone who ventures into the boonies required reading.

All said, Les Stroud's show appears to be the most realistic.

+1 on Angier, and I'd add Howard Hill as well. He's mostly known for archery, but he was also informative on plain old woodsmanship (if that's a word).

Leigh
08-20-2012, 13:36
+1 on Angier, and I'd add Howard Hill as well. He's mostly known for archery, but he was also informative on plain old woodsmanship (if that's a word).

Glad someone remembers!

Howard Hill also appeared in movies using his archery skills.
I think he was in a few of those ol Robin Hood movies of the 30's/40's.

I think "woodsmanship" (yes, if that's a word) would now be called "bushcraft" which is becoming as overused as "tactical." (sigh)

Kevin108
08-20-2012, 20:48
But wait... What about after the zombie apocalypse? We'll all be practicing tactical bushcraft. Those that get into it with too much zeal...will they be woods ninjas?

Leigh
08-21-2012, 08:42
But wait... What about after the zombie apocalypse? We'll all be practicing tactical bushcraft. Those that get into it with too much zeal...will they be woods ninjas?

We currently have "Mall Ninjas" so "Bush Ninjas" is just a natural progression.

I'm thinking that overkill is a requirement....wearing no less than 3-4 fixed blade knives and maybe a camp hatchet or machete on the belt. Each pocket containing at least one Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman type tool...

FireForged
08-21-2012, 10:02
We currently have "Mall Ninjas" so "Bush Ninjas" is just a natural progression.

I'm thinking that overkill is a requirement....wearing no less than 3-4 fixed blade knives and maybe a camp hatchet or machete on the belt. Each pocket containing at least one Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman type tool...

hahahahah! I like that

quake
08-21-2012, 10:32
All this talk of bushcraft & bush-ninja's...

Good lord; I'm turning into a dirty old man. :homer:

Leigh
08-21-2012, 13:31
All this talk of bushcraft & bush-ninja's...

Good lord; I'm turning into a dirty old man. :homer:

It gets better.......wait for it....BUSH PILOT!

quake
08-21-2012, 18:53
Dude - you literally made me spew my water I was drinking. :rofl:

Deputydave
08-22-2012, 10:23
I think the take home message from part 1 of Les's new 10-day desert island is...don't eat the oysters!

:faint:

Deputydave
09-01-2012, 15:03
Can I nominate this new show, "One Car too Far" for stupidest?
:faint:

Deputydave
12-10-2012, 08:07
For those that follow Dual Survival (I like the show too), here's an update if you haven't seen it yet:

The popular Discovery series “Dual Survival” has revealed to FOX411 exclusively its new military survival star: Joseph Teti.

Teti is a former Force Recon Marine, Army Special Forces “Green Beret” and a former operative in one of the most top-secret government counter- terrorist units in the world.

He joins professional survival instructor Cody Lundin – who hasn’t worn shoes for over 20 years – who returns to the Discovery show for his third season.

“There is no question, Cody Lundin is one of the world’s foremost experts in self-reliance and living off the land. And Joe Teti’s ability to survive a decade of combat in some of the most dangerous situations and harshest terrain on the planet makes him the perfect addition to ‘Dual Survival,’” executive producer French Horwitz told FOX411. “The differences between these two men couldn’t be more drastic, but each is formidable in his own way. This will unquestionably be the best season yet.”

In each episode of “Dual Survival,” the duo, equipped with minimal gear, is dropped into a stressful, death-inducing conundrum. The season opener, a one-hour special entitled “Unbraided” airing Jan. 1, 2013, features never-before season footage of Lundin, who introduces audiences to his new cohort, and gives fans a glimpse into what to expect from the pair.

The premiere is followed by “Mars on Earth,” which takes the two to the driest place on earth. Chile’s Atacama desert, which NASA uses as a testing ground for its Martian rovers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/30/exclusive-dual-survival-names-joseph-teti-its-new-military-survival-pro/?intcmp=features#ixzz2Ef5I5Hur

Personally, I will miss Dave C. Whatever the issue with his military record, the man knew survival in the wild. I enjoy his YT videos as well. I think both (he and Lundin) have a LOT to offer. I would like to see season 3 concentrate more on actual techniques and less on drama, though of course the drama helps the ratings.

FH Alum
12-10-2012, 18:38
Cody is more than what he appears to be on TV. He has a couple of good books that are worth the read. They are practical with simple ideas that break down rural survival in the modern era to surviving long enough to be found. His first book is focused on temp control as it will kill you the quickest. He has a very basic kit for the wild's containing modern and basic tools.

Cody is the opposite of tactical. He preaches using your brain and slowing down to solve the problem. For an example his recommendation of a knife is opposite of what others are putting their names on. Cody advises a simple 4-5" blade full tang knife with a rounded handle preferably in bright orange or other visible color. He advises against any kind of fancy handle with finger groves etc. as they just lead to blisters after a few hours of use.

I learned the wisdom of this advise this summer. I dropped a black handle knife at my feet and it took me 15 min to find the dumb thing. If this was a stressful situation that would be disaster. I have since marked all my gear with bright orange tape and purchased a suitable knife with a bright orange handle. Guess what? it makes a massive difference even when trying to find something in the bottom of your pack.

Unistat
12-10-2012, 20:37
Too bad none of those guys are hard core true survivalists like us guys! C'mon amiright?!

collim1
12-10-2012, 21:46

I like Cody. He does his own thing but doesn't press it on anyone. His books are to the point and filled with lots of info. Simple stuff that I never would have thought about, water procurement especially. I've read both of them.

He also has mad fire skills that I have alot of respect for.

wingryder
12-10-2012, 21:49
I think these shows are good for what they are... they raise awareness of survival skills. I actually like Dual Survival. Cody and Dave are the "REAL DEAL"... BUT! In the interest of making a show that is interesting to the ADD/OCD viewing audience, they have GOT to put them into crazy scenarios and whacky predicaments to make the show more interesting. You and I could and would watch a 12 hour documentary by Nesmuk or Mors, but the average Discovery Channel viewer wouldn't last thru the first commercial break.

Les Stroud is absolutely the REAL DEAL! BUT, to the "average viewer", his show is probably a bit slow and boring... when his show is competing against drunken crab fisherman and red neck billionaire duck call makers... So they are forced to embellished to keep people interested.

I personally appalud them for making the average suburbanite aware of some basic survival needs and skills. Even if the shows are "made up", they mostly reflect some good survival advice... and spark an interest in survival skills... at least it did for me.

I am amazed, that in the 21st century, the age of $90 GPS units, we STILL have groups of RECREATIONAL hikers, that get themselves lost and trapped in the wilderness and need to be rescued! It just goes to show you that even some seasoned outdoorsman, take things for granted far too often!

OBTW, another show that I really enjoy is Alaska: The last Frontier. Those people are the real deal...

Tango 1Zero
12-10-2012, 21:54
I am not a Bear Grylls fanboy or anything, but I have to think the guy is mentally tough. He was a special forces soldier which is an accomplishment on its own and he did break his back in a parachuting accident and managed to get through it and keep up his risk taking (smart or not thats no minor injury). I guess my point is, regardless of his theater, in a real survival situation where you need to really push yourself through some awful things, it seems to me that his background makes him someone that would be good to have in the field with you.

I agree but this is kinda extreme haha
http://izismile.com/img/img4/20110301/640/from_seal_carcass_640_05.jpg

wingryder
12-10-2012, 22:07
I agree but this is kinda extreme haha
http://izismile.com/img/img4/20110301/640/from_seal_carcass_640_05.jpg

I think BG gives some pretty reckless advice in a survival situation. repelling on an old found rope, made a grappling hook and tossed it across a 100 ft/deep ravine and crawled across. Or he dashes through the jungle jumping, dodging, drop and rolling... biting the heads off of venomous snakes... How careless and stupid could that be?!? Useless waste of calories and water! when something as insignificant as a blister or a twisted ankle could make the difference between life and death in a true survival situation. I think BG's show is strictly entertainment, very little instructional value.

Warp
12-10-2012, 22:15
I think BG gives some pretty reckless advice in a survival situation.

That is because none of his advice is good for a survival situation.

His show is completely ****ing retarded and he is full of ****.

Deputydave
12-11-2012, 07:48
Cody is more than what he appears to be on TV. He has a couple of good books that are worth the read. They are practical with simple ideas that break down rural survival in the modern era to surviving long enough to be found. His first book is focused on temp control as it will kill you the quickest. He has a very basic kit for the wild's containing modern and basic tools.

Cody is the opposite of tactical. He preaches using your brain and slowing down to solve the problem. For an example his recommendation of a knife is opposite of what others are putting their names on. Cody advises a simple 4-5" blade full tang knife with a rounded handle preferably in bright orange or other visible color. He advises against any kind of fancy handle with finger groves etc. as they just lead to blisters after a few hours of use.

I learned the wisdom of this advise this summer. I dropped a black handle knife at my feet and it took me 15 min to find the dumb thing. If this was a stressful situation that would be disaster. I have since marked all my gear with bright orange tape and purchased a suitable knife with a bright orange handle. Guess what? it makes a massive difference even when trying to find something in the bottom of your pack.

This ^

I like Cody. He does his own thing but doesn't press it on anyone. His books are to the point and filled with lots of info. Simple stuff that I never would have thought about, water procurement especially. I've read both of them.

He also has mad fire skills that I have alot of respect for.

This ^

I think these shows are good for what they are... they raise awareness of survival skills. I actually like Dual Survival. Cody and Dave are the "REAL DEAL"... BUT! In the interest of making a show that is interesting to the ADD/OCD viewing audience, they have GOT to put them into crazy scenarios and whacky predicaments to make the show more interesting. You and I could and would watch a 12 hour documentary by Nesmuk or Mors, but the average Discovery Channel viewer wouldn't last thru the first commercial break.

Les Stroud is absolutely the REAL DEAL! BUT, to the "average viewer", his show is probably a bit slow and boring... when his show is competing against drunken crab fisherman and red neck billionaire duck call makers... So they are forced to embellished to keep people interested.

I personally appalud them for making the average suburbanite aware of some basic survival needs and skills. Even if the shows are "made up", they mostly reflect some good survival advice... and spark an interest in survival skills... at least it did for me.

And this ^

Cody is the real deal and lives this way 24/7 as he's off the grid, grows his own food, catches his own water etc. He's all function with no flash which is exactly what a survival situation needs. As mentioned, the knife. I like knives and have been collecting for decades. What he states in regards to a knife is 100% right on the money. It doesn't need to be a Rambo knife to work well. I've got a couple of Mora knives in my EDC. One is the Classic #2 and the other the Clipper. Both are excellent, well made, inexpensive and crazy-sharp. A good knife doesn't have to be expensive and there is really no excuse for not having one or two of these knives in a kit.

Both his books are outstanding and contain practical information for any prepper. No, no zombie-killer bombs made from household chemicals. But rather information that would keep you alive short or long term if necessary, which is the point. I would recommend these books to anyone serious about survival. His EDC kit (and anyone's kit) is pretty complete, compact and easily carried and would cover just about any situation on basic survival i.e. water, food, fire, shelter, regulating core temperature etc.

Now a word of Dave. Different in some ways from Cody, but also a wealth of practical information. I've looked at many of his videos on YT and would recommend them as well. Good, solid information that is practical, useable and inexpensive to do. Regardless of whatever the issue was, he knows what he's doing and can teach it. To me, that is more important.

Either of these guys would be valuable in a survival situation and that's the bottom line.

I think BG gives some pretty reckless advice in a survival situation. repelling on an old found rope, made a grappling hook and tossed it across a 100 ft/deep ravine and crawled across. Or he dashes through the jungle jumping, dodging, drop and rolling... biting the heads off of venomous snakes... How careless and stupid could that be?!? Useless waste of calories and water! when something as insignificant as a blister or a twisted ankle could make the difference between life and death in a true survival situation. I think BG's show is strictly entertainment, very little instructional value.

Agreed. Man vs. Wild is 99% shock factor and 1% survival. Which is a shame because he does know what he's doing and could be a valuable teacher if he wasn't doing/showing mostly the wrong stuff. You mentioned running which is a prime example. He's blowing through hydration and calories and risking mechanical injury. 100% the wrong thing to do in a survival situation. And of course the gross factor is big with biting the eyes out of an octopus and all...

M vs. W could have been a truly excellent show but they choose to harp on the wrong stuff for ratings. DS and Survivorman are more towards what needs to be shown. Les is of course similar to Cody as he lives this way for real. He shows the Good the Bad and the Ugly of survival. Personally, I'd love to see both shows doubled as far as time so that more details can be given on various survival tasks. As it is, I'll take what they offer and add it where I can.

I can say that DS and SM both seriously helped (along with Cody's books) to get me motivated and educated to start having a preppers mindset. Over the last year I've gotten a BOB, two GHB's for each vehicle and two EDC's depending on my needs that day. I've added food storage and rain barrels and expanded my garden. In short, I'm a lot more prepared today as I write this than I was a year ago. So those shows, the books and boards like this have gone a long way for me getting myself and family prepared.

I call that a pretty good deal. :wavey:

FireForged
12-11-2012, 11:25
I think that many of these shows "could" be very interesting but what me must realize is that television today isnt about subject matter learning or interesting.. its about splash-entertainment. They either want the participant to "do something quasi-shocking" or they simply want to portray them as bizzare or goofy. I started watching that show with Cody, I think ... but they took 20 minutes of each episode being overly dramatic about Codys' bare feet so I gave up.