The best conversion barrel, bar none, for .40 to 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The best conversion barrel, bar none, for .40 to 9mm?

PhotoFeller
07-17-2012, 20:16
I can't sell my Gen4 model 22 and get what it's worth, so I want to convert to 9mm. Who makes the best conversion barrel, bar none, for this changeover? I'll pay the necessary bucks to get trouble free operation with 9mm.

Are Glock 17 mags what I need to go with the conversion barrel?

I wanted a model 17 when my son talked me into the model 22. I've regretted buying the 22 since day one.

With a top quality barrel and 9mm mags, am I likely to get G17-like performance? I'm hoping to buy one that drops in without any filing or fitting.

Thanks.

Fire_Medic
07-17-2012, 20:19
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

PhotoFeller
07-17-2012, 20:36
[quote=Fire_Medic;19207410]http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241[/quote

Thanks, Fire_Medic.

Are LoneWolf and StormLake the two primary choices for good conversion barrels? Does one typically fit better than the other? I notice that StormLake says gunsmithing is occasionally required for it's .40 to 9mm barrel.

I like the StormLake stainless barrel just because I'm partial to stainless here in SW Florida. However, fit and performance are most important.

I also notice LoneWolf is out of stock for it's standard conversion barrel.

Fire_Medic
07-17-2012, 20:41
I provided the link because LW states a lot of info on their page.

KKM, Barsto, LW, Stormlake, to name a few make barrels. You will get praises and anger from different people on all the brands based on their experiences, just like anything else in this world.

Me personally, the (1) KKM barrel I did own once was too tight (chamber) and gave me issues, and me personally, I have NEVER had an issue with any of my LW barrels. (knock on wood)

What I can say is that LW makes an issue right if one arises, and if you reload, you can even send them dummy rounds of your ammo before purchasing the barrel and they will match them up.

I have yet to own a Barsto barrel because they're not cheap (the fitted ones) but I might go out on a limb and lay the cash out for one for my new G20SF, not sure yet.

I have another LW barrel en route for my Gen4 G21, it should be here tomorrow or the next day, I can give you feedback on it after it arrives (if you'd like) as I have some ammo waiting to shoot through it.

I'm sure other folks can chime in with their experiences.

As for Storm Lake, I have not owned one of their barrels either, but the feedback I have seen on them lately is good, it wasn't so great back in '08 when I started reloading.

Good luck
FM :wavey:

PhotoFeller
07-17-2012, 20:56
I provided the link because LW states a lot of info on their page.

KKM, Barsto, LW, Stormlake, to name a few make barrels. You will get praises and anger from different people on all the brands based on their experiences, just like anything else in this world.

Me personally, the (1) KKM barrel I did own once was too tight (chamber) and gave me issues, and me personally, I have NEVER had an issue with any of my LW barrels. (knock on wood)

What I can say is that LW makes an issue right if one arises, and if you reload, you can even send them dummy rounds of your ammo before purchasing the barrel and they will match them up.

I have yet to own a Barsto barrel because they're not cheap (the fitted ones) but I might go out on a limb and lay the cash out for one for my new G20SF, not sure yet.

I have another LW barrel en route for my Gen4 G21, it should be here tomorrow or the next day, I can give you feedback on it after it arrives (if you'd like) as I have some ammo waiting to shoot through it.

I'm sure other folks can chime in with their experiences.

As for Storm Lake, I have not owned one of their barrels either, but the feedback I have seen on them lately is good, it wasn't so great back in '08 when I started reloading.

Good luck
FM :wavey:

Thanks again. I read the LoneWolf site info, and it helped since I'm starting from scratch on conversion decisions.

I want to hear about your experience with the LW barrel thats headed your way.

I take it the Barsto barrels require sending the pistol to them for fitting. Maybe thats worth considering for the best possible performance, even though the price is much higher. I assume Batsto guarantees their work.

Fire_Medic
07-17-2012, 21:00
Thanks again. I read the LoneWolf site info, and it helped since I'm starting from scratch on conversion decisions.

I want to hear about your experience with the LW barrel thats headed your way.

I take it the Barsto barrels require sending the pistol to them for fitting. Maybe thats worth considering for the best possible performance, even though the price is much higher. I assume Batsto guarantees their work.

I have never dealt with Barsto personally, but know a few people personally and a forum member or two who have used their barrels. I myself have done many things to a Glock, but fit a barrel is not one of them. I know that they do offer semi fit and match target barrels, and their website says the match target is completely oversized and has to be fit, and that the semi fit works fine as a drop in in 7 out of 10 guns or something like that. Your best bet on Barsto would be to call them directly and talk to them, I might be doing so myself in the next day or so not sure.

Just like I said, I have never had an issue with any of my LW barrels, and I have owned plenty of them because I shoot a lot of lead in my reloads to keep costs down, more so in the larger calibers.

Forum member "Arch Angel" had used Barsto for years and would be a good resource for feedback on their barrels, hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in, if not send him a PM.

I will send you a PM with some feedback on the new LW barrel so you have something recent on them.

:wavey:

PhotoFeller
07-17-2012, 21:07
Since I will be using only factory loads, is the LoneWolf well suited for good commercial ammo?

I'm thinking I'll call LW tomorrow to find out when their stock will be replenished. It doesn't seem like I can go too wrong given their prices.

SGT278ACR
07-17-2012, 21:07
PhotoFeller,
For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents... I have a G22 Gen2, I use a Lone Wolf conversion barrel, a 17 round G17 mag and a 10 round G17 mag. The barrel has worked flawlessly and I can drive tacks with it in 9mm configuration. Operates just like a G17. I went with the LWD for affordability and it has been just fine. Good luck with your conversion. :wavey:

Fire_Medic
07-17-2012, 21:09
Since I will be using only factory loads, is the LoneWolf well suited for good commercial ammo?

I'm thinking I'll call LW tomorrow to find out when their stock will be replenished. It doesn't seem like I can go too wrong given their prices.

I have never had to send them a barrel, was just giving that information to you as it is an option and I did not know whether or not you reload, and even if you do it's not necessary.

Give them a call, as the other forum member posted, affordability and reliability, that's why I keep going back to them.

Nanuk
07-17-2012, 21:10
I have a LW for my 23 and it has been flawless and very accurate.

tonyparson
07-17-2012, 21:26

You can find new LoneWolf conversion barrels on EBay for real good prices with free shipping..

avenues165
07-17-2012, 22:01
I have a LW 357 sig barrel for my G24, it is as reliable as my stock .40 s&w barrel. It is more accurate than I am. I intend to buy a LW 40-9mm conversion for my G24 soon.

A lot of people like StormLake and KKM. I have no experience with either types. Some say they are nicer than the LW.

Barsto sounds like a great choice if you have the funds. I think I would have them fit it if I bought a Bar sto barrel.

barth
07-17-2012, 23:14
I have four Storm Lake barrels for my G27.
G27 40-9mm conversion
G23 40-9mm conversion
G23 40
G27-357 4.16" dual ported black Isonite

They all are drop in.
Have has zero issues with them with thousands of rounds down range.

4Rules
07-18-2012, 00:05
Lone Wolf Distributors Versus Storm Lake Threaded Barrels
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429603

4Rules
07-18-2012, 00:09
http://www.storm-lake.com/support/isoniteqpq

PM720
07-18-2012, 01:22
I have

G35 .40 - .357sig
.40 - 9mm
G22 .40 - 9mm

All have worked very well so far. I use 10 round G17 mags and the stock .40 extractors with no real issues.

Scott

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 07:05
I wish I could send out individual thanks for the great comments I've received here. Please know I do appreciate your thoughts.

Here's where I'm sitting at this moment: (1) this is my first conversion, so this is a bit of an 'experiment', (2) LW barrels are getting lots of thumbs up from you guys and no negative votes, (3) the competitive cost of LW makes it possible to try one for a while without suffering a terrible loss if it doesn't work out, and (4) the high-rate of 'drop in" success makes it likely mine would work fine right out of the box. So, I'm gonna look for a LW today on eBay and by calling LW.

I am still intrigued by the stainless barrel from StormLake, and I will check out the links you provided, 4Rules. I may order one of these, too, with the idea of keeping the barrel that works best in my G22. SL sounds like a great performer, too.

Am I correct that the G22 recoil spring works with a 9mm barrel? I'm no mechanic, but I thought a spring change would be necessary.

I hope to put lots of 9mm rounds through the 22 conversion, and less expensive range-quality ammo will be desirable sometimes. Can I reasonably expect the lower powered stuff to work 95+% of the time?

Again, thanks. This kind of support makes the journey a lot easier and enjoyable.

SGT278ACR
07-18-2012, 08:55
Am I correct that the G22 recoil spring works with a 9mm barrel? I'm no mechanic, but I thought a spring change would be necessary.

The stock G22 spring does work well with the 9mm conversion. I still have the stock spring & guide rod in mine and have had no problems at all. It wouldn't hurt to change it if you want to, but definitely not necessary. All I did was the barrel and mags and it's been fine.

.38 super
07-18-2012, 09:11
I wish I could send out individual thanks for the great comments I've received here. Please know I do appreciate your thoughts.

Here's where I'm sitting at this moment: (1) this is my first conversion, so this is a bit of an 'experiment', (2) LW barrels are getting lots of thumbs up from you guys and no negative votes, (3) the competitive cost of LW makes it possible try one for a while without suffering a terrible loss if it doesn't work out, and (4) the high-rate of 'drop in" success makes it likely mine would work fine right out of the box. So, I'm gonna look for a LW today on eBay and by calling LW.

I am still intrigued by the stainless barrel from StormLake, and I will check out the links you provided, 4Rules. I may order one of these, too, with the idea of keeping the barrel that works best in my G22. SL sounds like a great performer, too.

I hope to put lots of 9mm rounds through the 22 conversion, and less expensive range-quality ammo will be desirable sometimes. Can I reasonably expect the lower powered stuff to work 95+% of the time?

Again, thanks. This kind of support makes the journey a lot easier and enjoyable.

In regard of being in FL, I live about an hour North from you, in SRQ, I do not keep my guns in cases or anything, they are clean and lubricated half-way from the recommendations in their manuals, my G22 is in the drawer of my night stand. I never had any problems with rust with my Glock or any other gun I owe.

In regard of the LWD 40-9, of course you have the gen4 and my Glock is gen3, but this could help: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18089653&postcount=20

Storm Lake are excellent barrels, but LWD are cheaper and will do the same job IMHO. I personally find their barrels made with very good quality, just check the pictures.

Good luck!

SJ 40
07-18-2012, 09:51
Have you thought of for reliability sake just converting it to a G 17 using factory parts ?
A 9mm trigger mechanism housing, firing pin,extractor and barrel. Oh I have probably left out a few incidentals but then you for all intensive purposes would have your G 17,using all factory parts. Just food for thought. SJ 40

hulk2k8
07-18-2012, 09:55
Has anyone confirmed where the LW barrels are made?

SJ 40
07-18-2012, 09:58
Has anyone confirmed where the LW barrels are made?No,it's a Super Secret. SJ 40

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 10:15
Have you thought of for reliability sake just converting it to a G 17 using factory parts ?
A 9mm trigger mechanism housing, firing pin,extractor and barrel. Oh I have probably left out a few incidentals but then you for all intensive purposes would have your G 17,using all factory parts. Just food for thought. SJ 40

The frame will accept G17 parts without knowing the difference? Might be a fun project if the new barrel works out. I wonder how much difference there is between G22 and G17 trigger mechanism and other internals. I'm guessing they should be down right identical, or close to it.

My son is a Glock armorer, so he has access to Glock factory parts at armorer prices. I wonder how a factory G17 barrel would run in a G22. Any thoughts on sticking to factory parts for the conversion to 9mm? Would it work just like a LW barrel? I guess thats what you were suggesting, SJ40, with your idea of a complete change to G17 parts.

Fire_Medic
07-18-2012, 10:19
The frame will accept G17 parts without knowing the difference? Might be a fun project if the new barrel works out. I wonder how much difference there is between G22 and G17 trigger mechanism and other internals. I'm guessing they should be down right identical, or close to it.

My son is a Glock armorer, so he has access to Glock factory parts at armorer prices. I wonder how a factory G17 barrel would run in a G22. Any thoughts on sticking to factory parts for the conversion to 9mm? Would it work just like a LW barrel? I guess thats what you were suggesting, SJ40, with your idea of a complete change to G17 parts.

You can swap internals no issue, the trigger bar will be the same but the ejector will be different.

As for the barrel, the OD (outside diameter) of the 40SW barrel is larger than the 9mm barrel. So if you drop a stock Glock 17 barrel in your G22 it will not fit "properly". There have been people in the past who have done it, albeit just for arguments sake, but if it was safe practice companies would not be making money on aftermarket conversion barrels.

You could get a 9mm slide from lone wolf and go that route, but it's a lot more money than just some G17 mags and a conversion barrel.

For plinking at the range a barrel and mags should suffice, now if you wanted to permanently make the gun a 9mm, then I might stretch to either build an aftermarket slide, or buy a G17 slide from a place like Glockmeister and get the proper trigger housing with the proper ejector.

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 10:25
You can swap internals no issue, the trigger bar will be the same but the ejector will be different.

As for the barrel, the OD (outside diameter) of the 40SW barrel is larger than the 9mm barrel. So if you drop a stock Glock 17 barrel in your G22 it will not fit "properly". There have been people in the past who have done it, albeit just for arguments sake, but if it was safe practice companies would not be making money on aftermarket conversion barrels.

You could get a 9mm slide from lone wolf and go that route, but it's a lot more money than just some G17 mags and a conversion barrel.

For plinking at the range a barrel and mags should suffice, now if you wanted to permanently make the gun a 9mm, then I might stretch to either build an aftermarket slide, or buy a G17 slide from a place like Glockmeister and get the proper trigger housing with the proper ejector.

Duh...I clean forgot about the barrel diameter issue. Thanks.

cfr
07-18-2012, 10:26
I know you cant get what you want for your 22, but the barrel and mags are going to run you ~ $160. Are you really that far off in just selling your 22 and buying what you want?

Just curious really.

FWIW, I just did a LW conversion with my 27, but thats mainly because my wife HATES me selling guns, and $300 for trade in value from the LGS just wasnt going to happen. If not for that I may very well have sold it privately and bought a 26.

SJ 40
07-18-2012, 10:30
Duh...I clean forgot about the barrel diameter issue. Thanks.Ya me also,would guess one would need a 17 upper to do it correctly, Sorry about that.
SJ 40

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 10:45
I know you cant get what you want for your 22, but the barrel and mags are going to run you ~ $160. Are you really that far off in just selling your 22 and buying what you want?

Just curious really.

FWIW, I just did a LW conversion with my 27, but thats mainly because my wife HATES me selling guns, and $300 for trade in value from the LGS just wasnt going to happen. If not for that I may very well have sold it privately and bought a 26.

Buying a new G17 was the track I started on yesterday, but a Gen 4 was $590 with tax and background check.

My Gen4 G22 has only ~150 rounds through it, but buyers aren't likely to go over $375- $400, and trade in value is less. I put TruGlo sights on the G22, which I'd have to swap out for the factory sights. So, I'm looking at about $200 difference not counting the hassle of finding a buyer, packing and shipping, my time and driving costs. It just seems a lot simpler to go the conversion route. Plus, I already have G17 mags that I bought before signing up for the .40.

Selling guns to individuals is a hassle, unless you're making money on the deals. Like you, I refuse to give my guns away to dealers for lousy trade in values; some guys don't hesitate to deal that way, but it goes against my grain.

SGT278ACR
07-18-2012, 10:55
Buying a new G17 was the track I started on yesterday, but a Gen 4 was $590 with tax and background check.

My Gen4 G22 has only ~150 rounds through it, but buyers aren't likely to go over $375- $400, and trade in value is less. I put TruGlo sights on the G22, which I'd have to swap out for the factory sights. So, I'm looking at about $200 difference not counting the hassle of finding a buyer, packing and shipping, my time and driving costs. It just seems a lot simpler to go the conversion route. Plus, I already have G17 mags that I bought before signing up for the .40.

When I first considered getting into Glocks I would have started with a 9mm also, but the G22 was a police trade-in for $369 with three 15 rd mags. Too good a deal to pass up. After that I got the LWD 40-9 barrel and 2 9mm mags for no more than $150 - $160 total. No regrets, plus it's kind of a bonus to have a tinker toy to swap back & forth in calibers just change things up once in a while for fun.

cfr
07-18-2012, 10:59
Plus, I already have G17 mags that I bought before signing up for the .40.

Sweet, this brings the cost down significantly. I'm a LWD fan, but others will have different opinions.

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 11:58
When I first considered getting into Glocks I would have started with a 9mm also, but the G22 was a police trade-in for $369 with three 15 rd mags. Too good a deal to pass up. After that I got the LWD 40-9 barrel and 2 9mm mags for no more than $150 - $160 total. No regrets, plus it's kind of a bonus to have a tinker toy to swap back & forth in calibers just change things up once in a while for fun.

Frankly, I hadn't thought about going back and forth. That will add some spice to life if/when I have a hankering to shoot .40 again. I like 9mm, .45 and .357, but .40 not so much. Maybe I'll decide I need more than 9mm for a trail gun, and Glock 22 capacity is a nice feature. We'll see...

PhotoFeller
07-18-2012, 12:03
The conversion barrel from LW is backordered until late August, and Cheaper than Dirt is out of them. The Glock Store doesn't have them, either. None are listed on eBay. This must be a HOT item, which should confirm that its a good choice.

PhotoFeller
07-21-2012, 11:50
After searching unsuccessfully for a LW barrel, I ordered one from StormLake. I'm hoping this one will drop in as advertised, and I'll be off to the range for some trouble-free 9mm shooting.

I'm still a little baffled about how the conversion can be so simple. The G22 and G17 frame design and dimensions must be nearly identical. Otherwise, a drop-on 9mm barrel and G17 mags wouldn't work. Further puzzling is how the .40 extractor works with 9mm ammo; I haven't looked at these parts side-by-side, but they must be nearly identical.

I'm still wondering how this can work, but I trust my comrades here and the videos I've watched say the same thing: the conversion flat works with LW and SL barrels. I'll know first hand in a week or two.

HiPowerGuy
11-16-2012, 11:52
TO: PHOTOFELLER

I just ordered a DROP IN Barstow barrel and if for any reason it does not fit, they will fit it for you for only $25 bucks! No a MATCH but a DROP IN which is supposed to just drop in with no issues 7 out of 10 times. Worth it to me. I got mine threaded which overall is about $100 more than the others, but hey...I have NEVER read a negative about Barstow and their reputation speaks for itself.

PhotoFeller
11-16-2012, 12:36
TO: PHOTOFELLER

I just ordered a DROP IN Barstow barrel and if for any reason it does not fit, they will fit it for you for only $25 bucks! No a MATCH but a DROP IN which is supposed to just drop in with no issues 7 out of 10 times. Worth it to me. I got mine threaded which overall is about $100 more than the others, but hey...I have NEVER read a negative about Barstow and their reputation speaks for itself.

Let us know how the Barstow works out. I'm fascinated by the conversion barrel concept; if mine (SL, KKM) work well, a threaded model may be next.

I might also want a ported barrel in .40 to replace my original G22 barrel. This would be an interesting experiment. Anyone tried this to calm the 'flip'? Storm Lake sells a two-port version in stainless for $175.

The folks who have 2, 4, 5 and more barrels for the same pistol have this figured out. If mine function without ftf/fte issues, I'll probably get on the same train.

cfr
11-16-2012, 13:47
As of last weekend, I am now carrying my 27, converted to a 26 with LWD barrel, as my EDC.

After about 500 rounds of various types of ammo with no issues, I'm confident in it.

PhotoFeller
11-16-2012, 14:34
What caliber can the G22 convert to beyond 9 mm without changing other parts? .357?

PhotoFeller
11-16-2012, 14:41
As of last weekend, I am now carrying my 27, converted to a 26 with LWD barrel, as my EDC.

After about 500 rounds of various types of ammo with no issues, I'm confident in it.

Thats what I like to hear. Was the barrel the only part you changed?

Someone recently posted that a G17 RSA should be used in the G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I'm not making that change yet, but it might be necessary eventually.

cfr
11-16-2012, 15:32
Thats what I like to hear. Was the barrel the only part you changed?

Someone recently posted that a G17 RSA should be used in the G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I'm not making that change yet, but it might be necessary eventually.

Using 26 mags as well (of course), no RSA swap for me. I've read that +P's should be used in these conversions to increase the chances of proper slide cycle. I'm currently adhering to that recommendation, but after another 500 rounds I may go down to "regular".

cfr
11-16-2012, 15:33
What caliber can the G22 convert to beyond 9 mm without changing other parts? .357?

Yes. My understanding is that .357 doesnt even require new mags.

MikeNH
11-16-2012, 21:35
I have a G32 and bought a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for that along with G19 mags. Had it since 2009 and not a single malfunction.

PhotoFeller
11-16-2012, 22:12
I have a G32 and bought a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for that along with G19 mags. Had it since 2009 and not a single malfunction.

Shaazzam!! Thats ^^ what I'm hopin for. Imagine being able to shoot .40, .357 and 9 mm with only mag and barrel changes.

I'd still like to know if a ported .40 barrel changes the feel of G22 recoil. I know, the recoil isn't punishing, or even hard to manage; I just don't like the .40's jump with my G22.

birda40
11-16-2012, 22:43
I have a ported G22 , o be honest can't tell much difference. Compared to my XDm 40. They bothe shoot great no problems. I was at a gun show ran across a Lone wolf barrel for the G22 (9mm with threaded barrel) 100.00. Swapped the barrels out every thing was fine just as accurate. The gentleman I bought from just sold glocks , he said he was an armorer and not to worry about extractors it would be fine. He was right.

crashwg
11-17-2012, 00:21
If this is a self-defense gun, I would recommend an extractor swap as well. LWD 40-9 barrel for a 23 in my 27 had 2 FTEs out of 100 last time I went shootin. On one shot, the brass was still chambered as the gun tried to load the next round.

PhotoFeller
11-17-2012, 00:55
If this is a self-defense gun, I would recommend an extractor swap as well. LWD 40-9 barrel for a 23 in my 27 had 2 FTEs out of 100 last time I went shootin. On one shot, the brass was still chambered as the gun tried to load the next round.

For my Gen 4 G22, which extractor do I need for 9mm? One for a Gen 4 G17?

silversport
11-17-2012, 05:49
I have a Storm Lake .40 S&W/9mm conversion barrel and it was 100% with 124GR cartridges...dropped in too...I have and would continue to trust my life to this combination with no more change than the G19 magazines were it not for me trying and liking the G32 barrel for 357 SiG...

My G23 currently houses the G32 barrel and I found that 357 SiG (followers at least) were required as my older, LE/Gov't marked G23 magazines and followers seemed a bit "slow" on slide return and loading...newer magazines with the newest 357 SiG followers are 100%...

In all...I highly recommend the Storm Lake barrel for the 9mm conversion...

Bill

Kapuna
11-17-2012, 06:14
I've posted this before, but will again for info purposes...

Started with a G33 in .357 SIG...(for CCW)
Added a Glock factory barrel in .40 S&W...(for $100 used)
Added a Storm Lake 40-9mm conversion barrel...(for plinking)
Everything works just as it's supposed to...
No change on the extractor...

GMT
11-17-2012, 16:34
LW is the way to go IMHO

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JBP55
11-18-2012, 18:05
The KKM barrels have given me good service.

im413
11-18-2012, 18:57
Why not just use the factory barrel?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

MikeNH
11-21-2012, 19:45
Why not just use the factory barrel?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

You can swap factory between .40 and 357 but not 9mm. Both the G23 and 32 have a larger hole in the slide for the barrel so the G19 barrel won't lock up right.