Is it okay to shoot rifled slugs down a smooth bore with a full choke? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to shoot rifled slugs down a smooth bore with a full choke?

dajcarroll
07-17-2012, 21:31
Im sure this topic has been asked before, but I would still consider myself new to this site. I have a 12 gauge New England Firearms Pardner with a 28" barrel, 3" Full choke. I don't know anything about chokes. I was wondering if rifled slug rounds could be shot with this gun. I understand sabot slugs are a no, but what about rifled slugs? Friends of mine are hunters, and they've asked me to start coming along on trips with them now. All I have are buckshot loads. Can I shoot rifled slugs for longer distance or could that cause a problem? If not, what are my best options. 3" magnum 00 buck? Thanks for the help.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

UtahIrishman
07-17-2012, 21:46
I'm no expert but I'll give this a bump as it deserves, actually needs, a correct answer.

If I were to hazard a guess I would do so on the side of caution and say no.

Chokes are for improving shot patterns. A full choke compresses the shot pattern as it comes out of the barrel. Thus there is a small obstruction from the choke that would cause serious problems with a rifled slug.I'm assuming the choke isn't removable. If it's re-moveable you could take it off of course.

A choice of shot I will leave to others as I don't know much about shotguns.

dajcarroll
07-17-2012, 21:59
I'm no expert but I'll give this a bump as it deserves, actually needs, a correct answer.

If I were to hazard a guess I would do so on the side of caution and say no.

Chokes are for improving shot patterns. A full choke compresses the shot pattern as it comes out of the barrel. Thus there is a small obstruction from the choke that would cause serious problems with a rifled slug.I'm assuming the choke isn't removable. If it's re-moveable you could take it off of course.

A choice of shot I will leave to others as I don't know much about shotguns.

Thanks for the reply. It is a fixed choke.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

Angry Fist
07-17-2012, 22:00
Don't.

Jim Watson
07-17-2012, 22:11
The plain old lead Foster slug is made to squish down going through a choke.
It is safe in your gun.

Glockdude1
07-17-2012, 22:12
Slugs + Choke = No.

:cool:

smokeross
07-17-2012, 22:14
I won't do it with my Model 12 Winchesters. No steel shot in them either.

bigmac85
07-17-2012, 22:32
I suggest you look up NEF's website abd look up the owners manual for your specific model and go from there buddy. Had the same question with a mossberg and thats where I found a solid answer.

As for buckshot check your local regs and make sure its legal to use. I believe some states are "slug only".

dajcarroll
07-17-2012, 22:42
I suggest you look up NEF's website abd look up the owners manual for your specific model and go from there buddy. Had the same question with a mossberg and thats where I found a solid answer.

As for buckshot check your local regs and make sure its legal to use. I believe some states are "slug only".

Great idea. Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks. Also, Indiana is one of the most pro gun states in America. As long as you aren't a felon and are of legal age you can own a handgun. I believe you can own a shotgun at any age. Nothing less than 18" barrel... 26" overall. No more than 3 shots when shooting turkeys... No registration, open carry or concealed with a licsense, great Castle Laws in effect. Nothing on using slugs only for deer... I don't think.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

AK_Stick
07-17-2012, 22:51
You can shoot a foster style slug, through a gun with a fixed choke safely.

Caver 60
07-17-2012, 23:06
Might want to go over here and ask your question.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=10&f=180

CajunBass
07-18-2012, 04:45
You can shoot a foster style slug, through a gun with a fixed choke safely.

This. The old Foster style slug is a loose enough fit to pass through a full choke with no problem. You might not get very good accuracy with them, but they'll work.

As for buckshot, I've never killed a deer with anything BUT buckshot. Used within it's range limitations, it kills like lightening. If you're shooting a single shot gun, be ready for a quick reload.

I've never cared for 00 buck. I have always found that No 1 buck patterned better, and there are a lot more shot in the shell. You're giving up a couple thousands in shot diamater, but getting it back in shot count. You should pattern your gun to see for yourself, but I have never seen a gun that shot 00 better than it did No 1. (Now for all you reading this whos guns DO shoot 00 better, don't bother to write nasty letters to tell me. I said I have never seen one, not that they don't exist.)

I like 3" shells, but many a whitetail has hit the ground with "short magnum" loads too. Be aware. A light gun, like your NEF will kick like the proverbial mule with 3" loads.

vafish
07-18-2012, 05:43
Yes you can shoot old fashioned foster slugs through a full choke. They are soft lead and the "rifled" fins are designed to deform easily.

Having shot them in an old h+r single shot the only thing you are likely to damage is your shoulder.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Z71bill
07-18-2012, 09:47
Straight from the box of Remington Slugger 1oz rifled slugs.

"Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke; however, improved cylinder provides best results."

IMHO -

You can shoot rifled slugs from a full, modified, improved cylinder or open bore - I would NOT shoot them out of a gun with an extra full or turkey choke.

If you only plan to shoot a few (10-20) rounds of slugs I would not worry about using a full choke - it is not going to blow up your gun or anything -

But it will cause a little extra wear on the choke - so if I was planning on shooting hundreds of rounds I would buy a barrel with a more open choke.

If you are really worried about it - pick up some 000 buckshot.

EDIT: BTW - I am reading between the lines a little -

- but it seems you may not know that "rifled" slugs are designed specifically to be used in a smooth (non-rifled) barrel. It is a little confusing - the "rifling" on the slug gets it to spin a little when shot through a smooth barrel - improving accuracy.

dajcarroll
07-18-2012, 09:59
Straight from the box of Remington Slugger 1oz rifled slugs.

"Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke; however, improved cylinder provides best results."

IMHO -

You can shoot rifled slugs from a full, modified, improved cylinder or open bore - I would NOT shoot them out of a gun with an extra full or turkey choke.

If you only plan to shoot a few (10-20) rounds of slugs I would not worry about using a full choke - it is not going to blow up your gun or anything -

But it will cause a little extra wear on the choke - so if I was planning on shooting hundreds of rounds I would buy a barrel with a more open choke.

If you are really worried about it - pick up some 000 buckshot.

I saw some 000 buck at my local LGS. Don't know much about them... do they travel farther than 00?

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

Z71bill
07-18-2012, 10:07
I saw some 000 buck at my local LGS. Don't know much about them... do they travel farther than 00?

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

I doubt 000 travel any farther VS 00

000 throws 8 -- .36 diameter shot - 00 is 9 -- .33

In reality maybe not that much difference.

4 glocks
07-18-2012, 10:14

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

#1, OO, Or OOO will not make much difference. The larger the size of shot will have less shot in each shell.
Shooting slugs out of a full choke will kick more.
If your deer hunting I think Buckshot will be your best choice at 60 to 75 yards.

dajcarroll
07-18-2012, 10:43
EDIT: BTW - I am reading between the lines a little -

- but it seems you may not know that "rifled" slugs are designed specifically to be used in a smooth (non-rifled) barrel. It is a little confusing - the "rifling" on the slug gets it to spin a little when shot through a smooth barrel - improving accuracy.

I am aware rifled slugs are for smooth barrels, my question was about the choke. I didn't know much about them.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

countrygun
07-18-2012, 10:53
When in doubt read the ammo box. If there wa a dangerous situation created there would be warnings all over the box, and given that a lot of people don't read, ammo makers are pretty sure you can't hurt yourself or your gun with their ammo.

It is a logical question however at first glance, but the slugs are soft enough to swage down. BTW If the seem to fit loose in the bore, bear in mind they are hollow based and "bump up" to bore diameter when fired.

whitebread
07-19-2012, 06:22
yes you can shoot old fashioned foster slugs through a full choke. They are soft lead and the "rifled" fins are designed to deform easily.

qft!!

JLA
07-19-2012, 17:52
Yes....you can shoot those through it.

Me personally....I won't do it. Just something about it scares me.

AK74play
07-19-2012, 18:13
Great idea. Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks. Also, Indiana is one of the most pro gun states in America. As long as you aren't a felon and are of legal age you can own a handgun. I believe you can own a shotgun at any age. Nothing less than 18" barrel... 26" overall. No more than 3 shots when shooting turkeys... No registration, open carry or concealed with a licsense, great Castle Laws in effect. Nothing on using slugs only for deer... I don't think.

Buckshot is a big NO NO in the state of Indiana for deer hunting. Slugs only with a shot gun. This I know beyond any shadow of a doubt. Any store that sell shells and guns will have a copy (free) of the hunter regulations on or near their sporting goods counter befor every hunting season. I suggest you pick one up and read it befor you go hunting for ANYTHING guessing about what rules may apply. Yes it is a rather freedom friendly state, BUT it is very HARSH on violaters.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

Please don't guess when it comes to hunting regulations.

method
07-19-2012, 18:34
Slugs + Choke = No.

:cool:

What makes you think that?

Slugs out of a full choke may not be ideal as far as accuracy goes, but it's perfectly safe.

Wurger
07-19-2012, 21:09
NO........it will split the barrel eventually. Seen the results of it happening, ruined barrel.

dajcarroll
07-19-2012, 21:32
Please don't guess when it comes to hunting regulations.

I assure you all I have no intentions on hunting of any kind without being properly educated on the rules and regulations in my state. All I meant was that I was unaware of laws regulating what you could an could not shoot a deer with. I'm not a hunter. No idea buckshot was illegal here. I'm a handgun guy... new to long guns of any kind. I just recently purchased a 12 gauge, and the .410/.22LR combo was given to me by my father... which I also found out (after picking up one of the guides mentioned) that hunting deer with a shotgun/rifle combination was not allowed. The only other long gun I have is the 12 gauge with a full choke. It looks like we have some difference in opinion as to shooting rifled slugs out of it. Best case scenario I can, but if the accuracy is going to be compromised what is the point? So pretty much I have nothing that is going to work. Looks like I'm gonna go have to buy me a new deer hunting rifle! Anyone have any budget friendly suggestions? I prefer to buy used guns. I think older model bolt action rifles are neat. Anyone have any advice of what model/caliber bolt action (budget friendly) rifle I can purchase for hunting deer? I'll honestly probably hunt once maybe twice a year with the short rifle season Indiana has. I don't need a top of the line $1200 rifle. Any advice is welcome.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

hogship
07-19-2012, 21:38
Slugs out of a full choke may not be ideal as far as accuracy goes, but it's perfectly safe.
This is what I've understood. It's ok.
NO........it will split the barrel eventually. Seen the results of it happening, ruined barrel.
If you think about it, it's got to put some stress on the choke area that wouldn't be good for it. I'm not surprised to hear of a barrel failure because of this.

I did shoot one shot with a rifled slug out of a friend's full choke shotgun once. I did it, because I didn't think it was a good idea, but he was insisting it was ok to do.......well, it did seem to work ok, but I still think it's not that good of an idea.

ooc

UtahIrishman
07-19-2012, 21:43
There are a number of rifles to be had for around $400.00 maybe less. You can buy some fine sporterized mausers and even Mosin Nagants would probably work. I plan on going Elk Hunting this fall with an 8mm. Mauser. Rifle cost was $200.00 and so was the scope. Not a great setup but a decent one for the money.

Then you can start to think about reloading :tongueout:

dajcarroll
07-19-2012, 21:59
There are a number of rifles to be had for around $400.00 maybe less. You can buy some fine sporterized mausers and even Mosin Nagants would probably work. I plan on going Elk Hunting this fall with an 8mm. Mauser. Rifle cost was $200.00 and so was the scope. Not a great setup but a decent one for the money.

Then you can start to think about reloading :tongueout:

Thanks for the tip. I've looked at a Mosin Nagant at my local LGS. I like them. We'll see. I may be able to find a used rifle with a scope at the Indiana gun show next month. If not, I can always hunt squirrel/rabbit with my combintion gun this year, and graduate to big game next year.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

cloudbuster
07-20-2012, 14:39
I've taken a foster slug and fitted it at the muzzle-end of various choke sizes and, honestly, I don't feel comfortable using them in anything tighter than Improved Cylinder choke. I sure they will crush down, but in a modified or full choke, it's a pretty big crush, and my double-barrel with the fixed chokes has pretty thin barrels (IC/M). I'd use a slug in the right barrel (IC), but not the left. I've got no compelling reason to risk the wear and tear.

If you have a shotgun with choke tubes, there's no reason not to get a cylinder choke tube.

Fred Hansen
07-20-2012, 15:17
I have a Belgian made Browning A-5 12 ga. (full choke) that my family and I have been putting slugs through (all brands/types, but mostly Brenneke) for 59 years now. No problems.

If something goes wrong in the next 59 years, I'll try to let you know, but I can't promise I'll still be here. YMMV :dunno: