Saiga 7.62x39 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 7.62x39

ColdDayInHell
07-17-2012, 21:45
I have a chance to get in a group buy for Saiga AK's, not the pistol grip model. But I heard you can add one later so I am not worried about that. My concerns are this: I do not have any Russian weapons or anything in 7.62 but wanted an AK or similar. Are Saiga AK's really good rifles? Should I definitely buy one and should I add stuff to it or just leave it the way it comes into this country. I'd love hear opinions from people who have them and who want a Saiga.

AK_Stick
07-17-2012, 21:48
Saiga, makes a good AK.

Buy it, convert it, enjoy it.

SilverCity
07-17-2012, 21:54
Saigas are good rifles. I am tempted to get another in 7.62x39 and keep it stock config. Makes for a nice fast handling carbine.

SC

ColdDayInHell
07-17-2012, 21:56
The group price is $299 plus transfer fee (non pistol grip Saiga). Great price correct?

WayaX
07-17-2012, 21:57
The base rifle is good, but converting it to match a true AK-100 series rifle can prove difficult without the proper tools. I'm not talking about the basement hack-job half-conversions, but a true conversion (proper hand-guards, flash hider, front sight, etc). In the end, if you want an AK, you're better off just buying an Arsenal SGL-21 (or SLR-107 if you have the money).

Edit:

Just saw the price you're getting it at. At that price, buy one (or two).

Angry Fist
07-17-2012, 22:04
That price? Don't miss out. Conversions aren't that hard.

brausso
07-17-2012, 22:08
100% buy it and don't look back. That's the same price I purchased two of mine. I own converted saiga's in 7.62, 5.45, 308, 12 ga. All have run flawless and they are a hoot to shoot. Keep in mind if you want to shoot hi capacity mags, your need to be 922r compliant. A conversion is the way to go.

ColdDayInHell
07-17-2012, 22:10
I will go for this buy, $1000 for an AK is not appealing to me. I just want one to have fun with, not to collect. My AR is worth that much and I enjoy that gun. But I really am not a big Russian firearm fan so a Saiga will have to do! I do want a 7.62x39 gun though, so this will fit right in. Ammo is cheap!

Angry Fist
07-17-2012, 22:16
I want the .308... :crying:

jp3975
07-17-2012, 22:26
5.45x39mm is only $140 for 1,080 rounds.

Saigas are great.

PettyOfficer
07-17-2012, 22:29
Is this group buy being made available to GT as a whole? Some of us might be interested for that price.

ColdDayInHell
07-17-2012, 22:51
Is this group buy being made available to GT as a whole? Some of us might be interested for that price.

No it is through a gun shop on a Northeast forum. Here in MA, we love our guns, even though the state wants to take them all away/ limit what we can have.:steamed:

seamaster
07-18-2012, 00:27
Thats a good price and the gun is excellent. I prefer the 16" barrel and the conversion is easy to do. But I regret converting mine. I think it's quit good as is.

motorcyclist
07-18-2012, 04:36
The front sight was canted on mine when I bought it. Other than that it hasn't missed a beat. I did a cheap conversion leaving the stock forend. I've found myself not shooting it all that much anymore. Steel case 223 is the same price now as 7.62x39 and I'd rather shoot the AR's.

Novocaine
07-18-2012, 11:06
If it's 16" and you leave it stock it's perhaps the most useful intermediate semiauto "sporter" around incl. Mini, Kel-Tec and Beretta.

mac66
07-18-2012, 11:21
I converted my 308 and 12 ga but left my 16" 7.62x39 stock. As others have reported it is a handy little sporter carbine in it's stock configuration.

BTW, you can cut down the follower on 10 round factory mags to get 14 rounds into them. I have been told that US made Metal Master/Thermold polymer mags for AKs work in the Saiga without having to add the bullet guide.

Z71bill
07-18-2012, 11:24
Its been a few years back - so maybe I am mistaken - or something could have changed.

But it seemed like Saiga 7.62x39 required special mags - could not use "normal" AK mags unless you modified the rifle's feed ramp.

Maybe not a BIG deal - but you should determine this before you buy it.

IIRC the stock Saiga mag than came with the gun was only 5 rounds.

mac66
07-18-2012, 11:55
Its been a few years back - so maybe I am mistaken - or something could have changed.

But it seemed like Saiga 7.62x39 required special mags - could not use "normal" AK mags unless you modified the rifle's feed ramp.

Maybe not a BIG deal - but you should determine this before you buy it.

In order to use AK mags in a Saiga 762x39 you have to add a "bullet guide". The BG is basically a little block of metal added in front of the chamber to guide the bullet into it. It is pretty easy to do. The other thing you have to do is trim the mag catch just a hair. Again, easy to do.

Adding the BG allows you to use hi-cap AK mags which then gets you into the importation of non-sporting arms regulations (922R) unless you swap some more US made parts which pretty much means a full conversion.

If you just do the bullet guide, i.e, keep the rifle in sporter configuration then you are treading on the 922-r import regulation thing. Chance of being noticed, charged, caught? None, zip, zilch, nada. But as stupid and unenforceable as the regulation is, an honest person should comply.

As mentioned, the Thermold AK mags are reported to work in the Saiga without modification. They apparently have a front lip on the mag that serves as a bullet guide. Since they are US made they add 3 US parts which makes the Saiga pretty close to being compliant. Be aware that some people have reported receiving Thermold mags that don't have the lip and therefore don't work.

Decguns
07-18-2012, 13:56
Promag and SGM have hi-cap mags for Saiga's which don't require you to install a bullet guide.

Doing a full conversion on the Saiga has become much easier for the home builder now that handguard kits and 24MM front sight bases are available. He can do a full conversion for $250 + gun. Make your own $1000 Arsenal for $550.

Century Arms now offers Saiga's with the pistol grip conversion for $550-$600. No flash hider. They do a slick job milling out slots on the OEM handguard. It was rumored Hesse is doing the conversions. It's an affordable option for those not wanting to convert a Saiga on their own.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-18-2012, 18:22
Saigas are good rifles. I am tempted to get another in 7.62x39 and keep it stock config. Makes for a nice fast handling carbine.

SC

I have a 16" and left it stock. I like the sporter configuration, similar to the feel of many small deer rifles.

I bought a quick detatch side mount for a scope. Makes a nice enough gun for moderate distance. Maybe 3" groups at 100 yards for me. Or take the scope off for shots expected to be under 100 yards.

I like that it came to me new, from the Russian factory :)

ithaca_deerslayer
07-18-2012, 18:32

I think 10 rounds is the factory standard. The 5 round mag is available for hunting.

Others are saying 30 rounders, unmodified, are available nowadays. But I can't have those specific 30 rounder mags in NY because they were not made pre-ban.

The 10 rounders are fine for my purposes. I got a bunch, and still choose to keep it stock, even though altering it would allow me to use pre-ban 30 round mags.

But that mag issue is all something for a prospective buyer to definitely consider beforehand :)