Sig 1911 Extreme or Springfield Loaded [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 Extreme or Springfield Loaded

AKRover
07-17-2012, 22:16
Trying to decide between the Sig 1911 Extreme or Springfield Loaded Parkerized. Both have night sights and ambidextrous safeties which are important to me. Other than the rail on the Sig (and $150 more on the price), I'm really not sure how different they are.

If anyone has experience with either or both of these your input is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows any reason to avoid one or the other, i.e. reliability, customer service, parts, that would be appreciated as well.

Since I bought my Delta Elite I've really caught the 1911 bug. I'd buy both if I could but that's just not in the budget.

Larry V
07-19-2012, 08:34
Trying to decide between the Sig 1911 Extreme or Springfield Loaded Parkerized. Both have night sights and ambidextrous safeties which are important to me. Other than the rail on the Sig (and $150 more on the price), I'm really not sure how different they are.

If anyone has experience with either or both of these your input is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows any reason to avoid one or the other, i.e. reliability, customer service, parts, that would be appreciated as well.

Since I bought my Delta Elite I've really caught the 1911 bug. I'd buy both if I could but that's just not in the budget.

I have 2 Sig 1911's and they have been flawless. I am going to get a third very soon

257 roberts
07-19-2012, 20:37
I'm looking hard at the Sig's or a STI Trojan

bac1023
07-19-2012, 20:39

Neither

bac1023
07-19-2012, 20:39
I'm looking hard at the Sig's or a STI Trojan

The Trojan is an awesome 1911.

AKRover
07-19-2012, 20:51
Neither

Thanks for the input but it's hardly helpful. Would you kindly explain why and possibly suggest other options in the same price range (~$1000).

My plan is to convert whatever 45 I end up with to 460 Rowland to carry as a sidearm for hunting and fishing. I'm having trouble pulling the trigger (pardon the pun) on a pistol in the $1000 range knowing it's going to get beat up in the woods. I've been carrying my Glock 20 as my woods gun but really want to step up the 460 Rowland for a little extra punch for the 4 legged creatures.

majette
07-19-2012, 21:16
convert the glock to the 460 rowland or 50 g.i. if the 10mm is not going to cut it (and i dont see why 10mm wouldn't...)

::shrug::

AKRover
07-19-2012, 21:31
I like my 10mm and feel very confident in it's abilities against anything except a large grizzly/brown bear. The near 44 mag performance of the 460 Rowland combined with the higher capacity of a semi-auto compared to a revolver makes me think it would have an advantage over the 10mm.

I can already tell what's going to happen. I'm going to end up with a Glock 21 converted to 460 Rowland as my woods gun and a 1911 chambered in 45ACP because my collection won't be complete without one.

chrisbritt15
07-19-2012, 21:32
My dad has a Springfield Range Officer with the 460 Rowland conversion, it has been 100% reliable, we ordered 200 pieces of brass, and we had done all sorts of reload from regular 45 load to max loads, only problem... we can not find a bullet that will stand up to the velocities, the last thing we bought was hornady magnum bullets, and we shot it through 6 water jugs and a phone book so not sure if it didnt expand or what happened, but havent tried it since, but once again the springfield 0 problems even with reloads.

chrisbritt15
07-19-2012, 21:34
I like my 10mm and feel very confident in it's abilities against anything except a large grizzly/brown bear. The near 44 mag performance of the 460 Rowland combined with the higher capacity of a semi-auto compared to a revolver makes me think it would have an advantage over the 10mm.

I can already tell what's going to happen. I'm going to end up with a Glock 21 converted to 460 Rowland as my woods gun and a 1911 chambered in 45ACP because my collection won't be complete without one.

I SECOND THIS:agree::agree::agree:

AKRover
07-19-2012, 21:38
My dad has a Springfield Range Officer with the 460 Rowland conversion, it has been 100% reliable, we ordered 200 pieces of brass, and we had done all sorts of reload from regular 45 load to max loads, only problem... we can not find a bullet that will stand up to the velocities, the last thing we bought was hornady magnum bullets, and we shot it through 6 water jugs and a phone book so not sure if it didnt expand or what happened, but havent tried it since, but once again the springfield 0 problems even with reloads.

Never even thought about how well the bullets would hold together at those velocities but it's an interesting point. Sounds like a good excuse to spend a lot of time at the reloading bench and range trying different combinations.

chrisbritt15
07-19-2012, 21:47
yeah we was having a lot of fragments through out the jugs, with the medium type loads though.... man would all most flatten lol, really fun to shoot though, i recommend you use the 24 pound spring, doesnt sling the brass nearly as far as the 20 does.

AKRover
07-21-2012, 14:04
I kind of went a different direction and put a Ruger SR1911 on layaway today. Not sure if it will be converted to 460 Rowland or not yet but the price was too good to pass up. The total price was under $700 including tax. That's not much more than the Glock and XDMs I was looking at and a lot better price than either the Sig or Springfield.

I will also be picking up a polymer 45 before next summer. That's already been decided.

Lethaltxn
07-21-2012, 20:37
I've been exremely happy with my SA Loaded.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5451/img1127l.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/img1127l.jpg/)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9255/img1125r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/img1125r.jpg/)

I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Infallible
07-21-2012, 20:41
Ive have had one of each. The Sig is fitted and finished much better than my Springfield was. For the money, the Sig is the better made weapon, and its made in the US not Brazil.