92fs/M9 vs Browning Hi Power [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 92fs/M9 vs Browning Hi Power

prez1967
07-18-2012, 11:14
Looking at input on which is the better shooter.... Currently a 1911 shooter with acouple Glocks... Looking to get into a 9mm pistol and need suggestions on which to get first ;-)

fnfalman
07-18-2012, 11:19
The Beretta by far a better shooter.

DPris
07-18-2012, 11:23
And you'll get opposing opinions like mine that find the Browning a better shooter.

May depend partially on what your definition of "better" is.
Denis

igor
07-18-2012, 11:24
see i would disagree i ahve both and carried and shot both. i have a novak hi power, but i also have an old isrally police hi power. i carried a 92fs as a police for ten years. i thought they boith shot about the same

prez1967
07-18-2012, 11:31
I appreciate smooth shooting firearms... I prefer my Springfield Pro to my TRP but i still enjoy my TRP... If that helps with defining "better".

Ive been drooling over a Novaks BHP for a while and eventually whatever BHP i buy will get sent to Wayne & Co.

CharlestonG26
07-18-2012, 11:36
A Belgium Browning HP is a fine but somewhat outdated pistol. The Beretta shoots well but is quite large. For a general use, concealed carry self-defense, I believe a G19 is a better option.

fnfalman
07-18-2012, 11:38
Take a stock Beretta and a stock Browning to the range and see which ones are more mechanically accurate, has better trigger pulls, etc. Then examine to see which one has better fit & finish. Get the matte finish Browning to compare instead of the polished blued version.

The Beretta wins hands down, and that's why I have four of them as opposed to one Hi-Power.

DPris
07-18-2012, 11:50
Why the matte?
Denis

countrygun
07-18-2012, 11:59
I started out with a 1911 so I don't find the HP "outdated at all. I fail to see how it even could be considered so. I find it fits my hand better. As far as accuracy, I feel they are so close that I couldn't make a blanket statement about either being "more accurate"

Without wanting to open the whole DA/SA thing, I fail to understand why "learning" the transition from DA first shot to SA is "acceptable" But "learning" to use a thumb safety is "unacceptable".

Try both if you can and see which one feels better and "learn" it's system

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-18-2012, 12:02
What kind of crazy guy wants a Beretta 92? :whistling:

TxGun
07-18-2012, 12:03
I'd take the HP anytime over the 92, especially if you plan on carrying it. The 92 is too big and blocky, IMO.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-18-2012, 12:11
I'd take the HP anytime over the 92, especially if you plan on carrying it. The 92 is too big and blocky, IMO.

Yes, no one carries a beretta 92...

Much too big...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Carrygear2.jpg

DPris
07-18-2012, 12:51
I seriously doubt there's a useful answer to the original question, beyond "Pick the one that works the best for you."
Denis

RWBlue
07-18-2012, 12:58
Looking at input on which is the better shooter.... Currently a 1911 shooter with acouple Glocks... Looking to get into a 9mm pistol and need suggestions on which to get first ;-)

First thing is the gun will be more accurate than you. Or to put it a different way go to youtube and watch hickcock shoot targets at 100 yards with multiple pistols.

Second, try a glock, it is considerable different from your 1911. You may love, or not....

fnfalman
07-18-2012, 13:09
Why the matte?
Denis

Because there is no mirror polished blued Berettas available from the factory. The matte finish on the Browning is more utilitarian like the Beretta finish.

bigchuck83
07-18-2012, 13:10
i love my every day carry m9a1 Beretta that said i still want a Hi Power in poilished blue finish. i choose Beretta for now since i shoot it well.

fnfalman
07-18-2012, 13:10
Yes, no one carries a beretta 92...

Much too big...

Dude, I have the same cell phone!!! The IT nerds kept trying to get me to change it to a Droid and I kept saying hell no. I want my flip phone.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-18-2012, 13:11
I seriously doubt there's a useful answer to the original question, beyond "Pick the one that works the best for you."
Denis

If only this reply could be automated to respond to every post on GT :rofl:

Rustin
07-18-2012, 13:12
One question to decide.

Single or Double? (Action)

I much prefer single myself and I would have no doubt that I would choose the Hi power.

Don't forget the Cz-75 though!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-18-2012, 13:22
Dude, I have the same cell phone!!! .

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sadly enough, I retired it last month and got a Android phone. I wanted internet access, and I got sick of typing back to tons of text messages my wife kept sending...

Hahaha :supergrin:

oldnoob
07-18-2012, 13:35

If you are currently a 1911 shooter, HP will be a easy transaction for you. Full steel, frame mount safety etc.

I like my Beretta alright but it's on the bulky side for my hands. Love the size and balance of HP.

Beretta do have a smoother action right out of box and cost much less. Try them out and pick the best fitting one. I got both and prefer HP (my favor 9mm).

Wishoot
07-18-2012, 13:38
My preference is the Hi Power. Just seems to fit my hands like it was custom made.

My buddy prefers his 92FS.

Both fine guns.

DPris
07-18-2012, 14:07
FN,
Ah!

But, Prez didn't specify it had to be an equal vs equal Browning vs Beretta answer. :)

Ith,
If it were a question of "Which is better, a Lorcin or a SIG?", the answer would be more valid.
Two pistols of roughly equal quality but featuring different sizes & action types can't really be definitively declared as one being better than the other.

Like big & DA? Choose the Beretta.
Like smaller & SA, go with the Browning.

For me, the Browning takes it because of its more svelte size and its safety type & location. Fits my hand better & carries concealed easier.
For others, the Beretta may appeal more.
Denis

07-18-2012, 14:25
I have both. Both are bone stock. I like the HP better because it's a better handling weapon than the 92, but with the magazine drop safety that the HP has, the S/A trigger is horrible. The mag safety also keeps the mags from dropping free.

The thing I like about the 92 is that it's smooth, like butter. It's also soft recoiling.

I like the Cz75 because it has the best features of both and a better grip. JMO.

Berto
07-18-2012, 15:08
I like the BHP better as it's much easier for me to shoot, but I recognize the 92 series is a great pistol too. Both are proven guns, both can take some mild customization that makes a big difference in trigger quality.
IMO the Beretta is a softer shooter due to its low reciprocating mass and lockup, but the BHP is faster (for me) on target and has a faster trigger. Both are extremely reliable and capable of very good accuracy.

DPris
07-18-2012, 15:13
And the mag disconnect comes out on the Browning.
Denis

MrMurphy
07-18-2012, 16:02
Bone stock, the Beretta will have a better trigger.

The BHP fits people better, but the factory safety is tiny.

I have both, and due to carrying one on active duty, I'm a bit biased towards the M9, even if it's big, I'm used to it.

The BHP though, with a slicked up trigger, is an excellent piece. Not really a 'right' answer here.

257 roberts
07-18-2012, 17:00
A Belgium Browning HP is a fine but somewhat outdated pistol. The Beretta shoots well but is quite large. For a general use, concealed carry self-defense, I believe a G19 is a better option.
We have a winner...good post

DFin
07-18-2012, 18:29

stopatrain
07-18-2012, 18:34
I like both but I shoot better with the Hi Power.

DPris
07-18-2012, 20:14
The un-flared mag well has no importance to me with a tapered-top double-column magazine. :)
Trigger reset is not an issue for me on any handgun.
Browning makes no magazines, all they sell are outsourced, typically MEC-GARs nowdays.
The mousetrap mags wear the finish off the bottom of the gripframe, once the mag disconnect was removed on my HPs all of my mags drop free. I still have a couple 10-round mousers around somplace that came with my first HP, they haven't been used in years. :)
Denis

07-18-2012, 21:08
If only this reply could be automated to respond to every post help me choose thread on GT :rofl:
:supergrin:

rgregoryb
07-18-2012, 21:31
Beretta makes handguns ?

no choice....Hi Power it is!

DA pistols, an ingenious solution to a non existent problem

bac1023
07-18-2012, 22:10

I prefer the Hi Power, but both are great shooters.

TJx
07-19-2012, 06:17
A better comparison is a Hi Power & CZ75.
The stock CZ DA trigger puts the Beretta to shame even w/ the D spring and Elite II hammer installed.

Cambo
07-19-2012, 07:29
The Beretta is a good pistol, but I don't like the DA trigger, the size of the grip or the safety/decocker. The Hi Power shoots so well for me, it's like bullets are coming out of my finger. The grip size on the Hi Power fits most hands well.

FireForged
07-19-2012, 15:10
Well, the beretta never made it into the "top 10 9mm handguns of all time" or more recently.. "wonder nines"... but the BrowningHP made both lists.

If I were looking for a 9mm for carry, I would go polymer eg..XDM, Glock, CZ. If I were looking for a 9mm just to have a nice one for HD, Heck-hit-the-fan, range or in situations were concealed carry is not the primary consideration... I would choose the BHP!

bac1023
07-19-2012, 20:31
Well, the beretta never made it into the "top 10 9mm handguns of all time" or more recently.. "wonder nines"... but the BrowningHP made both lists.

The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm of all time.

Chronos
07-20-2012, 04:01
Beretta makes handguns ?

no choice....Hi Power it is!

DA pistols, an ingenious solution to a non existent problem

My view exactly. The BHP may have some faults directly out of the box, but they can be corrected and you end up with a wonderful piece at the end of the day. A DA trigger is another story entirely -- the entire point is that it's difficult to use and slows down the user. Maybe for someone else, but not what I'm personally looking for.

Bren
07-20-2012, 04:58

I have both and there is no competition - I only keep a POS Beretta around to practice for qualifications twice a year.

Browning Hi Power is the only choice there.

My only objection to the Hi Power is the magazine safety and how it keeps the magazine from dropping free, if you don't have mousetrap magazines.

RWBlue
07-20-2012, 09:16

If I were looking for a 9mm for carry, I would go polymer eg..XDM, Glock, CZ. If I were looking for a 9mm just to have a nice one for HD, Heck-hit-the-fan, range or in situations were concealed carry is not the primary consideration... I would choose the BHP!

Age has something to do with some guns getting on the "best of all times list".

Bren
07-20-2012, 09:31
And the mag disconnect comes out on the Browning.
Denis

Yes, but that makes it unuseable for IDPA, unless you want to ignore the rules. For self defense, it holds plenty of ammo, so I don't consider the mag disconnect an issue, but for competition I sure wish you could remove it.

Age has something to do with some guns getting on the "best of all times list".

Longevity does tell a lot about the gun, so I consider the lefgitimate. remember when the Bertta 92 was all the rage in the late 80's, after Lethal Weapon and LAPD switching to them? Not so hot now, since people realized the world is full of better guns.

Gary1911A1
07-20-2012, 10:24
I'm a hugh fan of the 1911 as you can tell from my on-line name. Of the two you mention I have both and will keep both. Both are good 9MM pistols, but just different. So get both.

tshadow6
07-20-2012, 11:49
The BHP is a single action semi-auto with roots going back to John M. Browning. Since you already have 1911s, the BHP will be an easy transition for you. For me, the BHP is THE 9mm pistol that all other 9mms want to be when they grow up.

grecco
07-20-2012, 12:37
Having owned both.
There are several factors.
1.which one fits your hand better?
2.which do you shoot better?
3.Range or carry pistol.

From my personal experience,
the BHP is slimmer and has a magazine disconnect and a heavier trigger,
this could be be modified relatively easy with C&S trigger and Wolff springs.

The Beretta is larger and rock solid,and gives you the option of traditional sa/da.

RWBlue
07-20-2012, 12:57
Longevity does tell a lot about the gun, so I consider the lefgitimate. remember when the Bertta 92 was all the rage in the late 80's, after Lethal Weapon and LAPD switching to them? Not so hot now, since people realized the world is full of better guns.

I will also argue that longevity of production isn't always because it is the best design. I will give a few examples so I can make my point clear.

Most people would put the Luger 08 on the list of greatest guns of all time, but most people who have shot it for more than a few rounds knows it has a nasty habit of jamming, doesn't have a high capacity magazine and is a ***** to clean. If it didn't cost so much to produce, it would still be in production. Most people would rather carry ANY other current make (92FS included, BHP, Glock, XD.....) of 9mm vs. the Luger 08. But the Luger is just so beautiful.....

The Colt Peacemaker is another example. When it came out it was pretty good, but really gained its fame in the 1940 westerns were on TV and at the theater. The Ruger Velegro is arguably a better engineering design, but the Velegro will never make the list of greatest guns of all time.

Is the S&W revolver the best revolver design? No, it isn't, but it has been produced with very few changes over the last century?

So the question becomes, if the 92fs came out at the same time as the P-38, would it be on the greatest handguns list. My guess is it would be.

If we had sent US troops into WWII with 92FS vs. the 1911, would it be all the range, probably.

Do I prefer my 92FS over my other guns? No. I find myself becoming more and more a Glock person. Will my Glock ever be listed on the greatest guns of all time.......probably not. It does the job, but ....

The greatest guns of all times lists are about gut feelings not engineering.

Rick O'Shay
07-20-2012, 19:05
I've never seen a Browning Hi-Power "blow up", but have witnessed one Beretta self-destruct. Also saw a Taurus copy of the Beretta that had blown up the same way. Both fired out of battery, and blew the slide off. Actually, peeled the right side up and over. My daughter (shooting the Beretta) would not even handle that pistol again, even after Beretta rebuilt it and declared it safe.
Because of these two experiences, which looked identical after the explosions, I very much prefer the Browning Hi-Power. I have two of these, and they're superior weapons.

RWBlue
07-20-2012, 19:43
I've never seen a Browning Hi-Power "blow up", but have witnessed one Beretta self-destruct. Also saw a Taurus copy of the Beretta that had blown up the same way. Both fired out of battery, and blew the slide off. Actually, peeled the right side up and over. My daughter (shooting the Beretta) would not even handle that pistol again, even after Beretta rebuilt it and declared it safe.
Because of these two experiences, which looked identical after the explosions, I very much prefer the Browning Hi-Power. I have two of these, and they're superior weapons.

Please go into more details.

Tim151515
07-20-2012, 20:08
I hate to be the guy that brings up different guns than the one in the OP, but you didn't seem to be too dead set on those as being the only too, as you just said 9mm pistol.

So if I may make a suggestion, you said BHP, which runs around 800 around here, so if your in that pricerange, you can also look at a Sig, which is a great gun, DA/SA like the beretta.

Another great option would be a CZ, if you bought one for 500 and put 300 dollars worth of custom work at the CZ shop into it, it would be, IMO, far superior to any of the other guns. Plus it comes in any flavor, you can get BD, which is like a Sig as it has no safety and a decocker, the model B wich is double action and has a safety. I kind of look at this as a cocked and locked model with a "double strike" type feature, or you could get the SAO which would be a lot like a 1911 or Hi power.

But, you really couldnt go wrong with either of the two you mentioned either.

Golddog
07-20-2012, 20:08
In my experience, the Beretta's indifferent trigger and ergonomics (it's too fat) take it out of the running. The BHP is superior on both counts.

But since the CZ 75 beats both guns in every regard, the choice for me was easy.