power drain [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : power drain

RWBlue
07-18-2012, 20:11
i rermember a while back, someone mentioned a tool that allowed a person to calculate how much power is being used be a specfic device.

what device is that?

Bolster
07-18-2012, 20:20
DC, I assume.

Watt's Up is one.

Doc Wattson is another.

Currently I just use the amperage measurement on my VOM.

Carry16
07-18-2012, 20:46
P3 Kill-A-Watt around $30 IIRC. If you had a clamp-on ammeter you could multiply the amps x voltage and have close approximation of watts.

RWBlue
07-19-2012, 08:50
DC, I assume.

Watt's Up is one.

Doc Wattson is another.

Currently I just use the amperage measurement on my VOM.

I am in DC area, but this one will be used half way across the country. they have been having issues with brown outs and have some UPSs, but I don't think they have been deployed optomally.

Where I am, I either have UPS and generators at work. Generator at the house I stay at some of the time. Or nothing at the Apt. I don't really need the device here.

Bolster
07-19-2012, 09:30
Oop, I meant "DC" as in Direct Current.

Contact
07-19-2012, 10:04
I've used the Kill-A-Watt meter for a while now. I love it.

Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nMQyqE75L.@@AMEPARAM@@41nMQyqE75L

It lets you enter the price you pay for electricity, and you can calculate how much whatever you have running off of that outlet is costing you per day/week/month/year. And you can leave it plugged in for however long, and it will record the wattage usage so you can average out your consumption habits. For example, if you have your whole entertainment center plugged into a power strip, then plug the power strip into the killawatt and leave it plugged in for a month or so and you can determine roughly how much it costs you to watch TV, and curtail any habits of leaving the tv on while nobody is home, etc.

It's also neat for seeing how many watts are being drawn while everything is turned off.

RWBlue
07-19-2012, 12:33
Oop, I meant "DC" as in Direct Current.

Ahhhh, the other DC. :supergrin:

quake
07-19-2012, 15:21
Another +1 for the Kill-a-Watt. Cheap and saves guessing.