Springfield M1A... Loaded vs National Match [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A... Loaded vs National Match

awpk03s
07-18-2012, 21:54
Please help educate me on M1As... I want to buy my dad a rifle for his retirement, which will probably be in 6-18 months.

I am pretty set on a M1A type of rifle, or maybe even a CMP Garand, but I think the M1A is a better choice.

My price difference between a Loaded and National Match is about $300. What is the real world difference? The rifle will be used for informal target shooting, and some light hunting use.

Is the NM more than what I need? Money thrown away?

Please comment...

AZ Jeff
07-18-2012, 22:12
The NM will have a sight that is more finicky and fragile. Also, for older eyes, it will have a smaller aperture, and may be more difficult to use well.

For "informal target shooting and light hunting", I would recommend the "loaded" version.

countrygun
07-18-2012, 22:53
The NM will have a sight that is more finicky and fragile. Also, for older eyes, it will have a smaller aperture, and may be more difficult to use well.

For "informal target shooting and light hunting", I would recommend the "loaded" version.

I agree. The "NM" is really built for specific purposes.

The Loaded is great on its own merit

awpk03s
07-19-2012, 05:01
Thanks guys - I had not thought about the rear sight differences. I think Loaded is the way to go on this one.

Danny Reid
07-19-2012, 05:45
Yes, I have to agree with the others. Unless your Dad is a competition shooter, the NM would be a waste of money.