Is picking up a stripped lower now a good idea? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is picking up a stripped lower now a good idea?

Schrag4
07-18-2012, 22:01
So I've been wanting an AR15 for a while but money's a bit tight at the moment and the wife isn't thrilled about plunking down that much right now. Ok, that's not fair to her - she actually told me to just get one a month ago and I wouldn't because I hate to buy things when we can't afford them yet. Anyway, I've always been of the understanding that our gun ownership rights have not really been in true jeopardy in the last decade or so, even in the last 4 years. However, I've been starting to become a little paranoid over the last couple of weeks. My question is two-part really:

1. If Obama is re-elected, do you expect prices to spike - even if it's out of irrational fear? Could buying as many components as I can leading up to the election save me some money in the long run? This is not as big a deal to me as the next question.

2. Let's say the conspiracy theorists were right and there's another AWB in Obama's 2nd term (this is assuming he gets elected of course - something he seems to be avoiding with his recent remarks). If I understand correctly - and I may not be - people were free to keep their banned weapons, they just weren't allowed to buy new ones, right? If another ban just like the Clinton ban went into effect, would owning a stripped lower allow me to build a rifle? The stripped lower is considered the firearms, after all, correct?

Maybe this is a really stupid question, dunno. I talked to my wife about this idea this morning and she told me to get 2 stripped lowers (one for her :cool:) if there's any merit to the idea. What do you say? Thanks in advance!

Landric
07-19-2012, 05:56
Everything black rifle went crazy four years ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen again assuming the big O gets reelected. At any rate, if you shop around you can get a pair of stripped lowers for under $200 out the door, so there really is no reason not to buy them while they are available. The stripped lower isn't an expensive part, but it is the controlled part, and they were going for stupid prices after the 2008 election.

As for another ban, the previous ban allowed for possession, sale, transfer, etc. of banned items, just not the production of banned items for civilian sales while it was in effect. I suspect that in the event the gun control freaks have enough votes to pass another ban (unlikely, but possible), they won't make the same "mistakes" they did last time. That is, don't expect it to sunset sometime in the future, and don't expect to be allowed to sell or transfer banned items to someone else or to buy pre-ban stuff yourself. I expect to see a "what you have is all you get" law if it comes to that, and of course all the illegal black market type sales that will come with such a law.

So, if you want to be safe, invest in some stripped lowers and some magazines, the rest of the parts can likely wait a while.

Schrag4
07-19-2012, 06:57
Thanks Landric. I guess I'll start doing some research.

01coltcolt
07-19-2012, 16:22
Here Ill hook you up. Cero forgings, Areo Precsion Milled. Some of the best Ive ever seen. The anodizing is perfect. But dont hesitate. These sell with in a day or so. $69.00 stripped
http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/4855239d603d465f9f54fa3912ba9ba8
$179.00 complete
http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/156468b479a44339aef7e7c634edaee1

1gewehr
07-20-2012, 09:18
At this point you may as well get a gypsy to consult her crystal ball. Too many unknowns to make a decent prediction. If it were me, and I had a few extra dollars to use for it, I would buy a couple of stripped lowers 'just in case'. They are inexpensive enough that your chances of losing any money are practically nonexistent. But, since there is a fair chance that more gun control could be in the future, I certainly would not expect prices or ease of purchase to get any better.

Bren
07-20-2012, 09:27
Considering how things went the last time we had a mass shooting in Colorado, plus the strong liklihood of Obama getting an unrestrained second term, I'd say get the lower now. It's about $100-150? The rest can be mail-ordered a part at a time.

If nothing worse happens, prices will at least spike for about a year or two after November.

Bilbo Bagins
07-20-2012, 09:38
$200 for a stripped lower I don't think is worth it right now. In 2008/2009 When AR were flying of the shelves at $1400 and up , ohh they sounded like a smart investment, but that ended and the prices came back down. Right now why would you want to get a $200 stripped receiver to build a frankenstein AR when you can get S&W/Bushy AR for under $1000

SCSU74
07-20-2012, 09:51
Keep an eye out for factory seconds. I picked up a stripped noveske lower for $50 because it had a ding on it somewhere, still unsure where the mark is.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

RWBlue
07-20-2012, 10:01
First, whenever there is an election or someone shoots up a place, all bets are off. Tomorrow, someone could start pushing for a ban. Prices will jump and it is what it is.

Second, if you want to resell, you don't buy a frame and build.

Third, if you plan on tinkering and tweaking, you might as well get the frame and build what you want. Building what you want from scratch is better/cheaper than taking an existing configuration and messing with it..

Schrag4
07-23-2012, 22:39
Thanks for the replies, guys. I originally posted before the CO shooting, and now I'm more convinced I should pick up a lower or two sooner rather than later if I'm planning on picking them up eventually anyway.

BudMan5
07-24-2012, 19:44
I don't think you have to worry about a ban or any new anti-gun laws right now. In 1994, when Congress passed the AWB, everyone who voted for it got defeated in that years election and the Republicans took over the House and the Senate. it was a big lesson to thm and Bill Clinton still claims it was the biggest mistake of his two terms.

But, if Obama is re-elected thean the 2A is in EXTREME jeopardy. He will appoint at least one and maybe as many as three Supreme Court Justices. And since he can't run for re-election all restraints woill be off. he will bully the Democrats in the Senate to ratify whatever treatyy the stupid UN comes up ewith and guns and our freedom will be sailing doewnstream.

Personally, I would just clear out the attic and basement and sell enough stuff to go buy an M&15 Sporter for around $600.00

I am building PSAs as fast as i can get them to ship the parts to me but so is everyone else in the country apparently. I ordered two uppers, eleven days apart and the consecutive order numbers were 5,000!!! orders apart.

There is a hiring advertisement on their home page though

Schrag4
07-27-2012, 14:51
Well I pulled the trigger (pun intended). A local gun shop had them at what I would consider a very reasonable price: $105 each before tax. I could have saved perhaps $10 or $15 on each if I had shopped around online, but I wanted the peace of mind that comes with getting it now vs waiting. 01coltcolt, I waited too long and the ones in your links are no longer in stock. I guess maybe I panicked a little :embarassed:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/Schrag4/StrippedLowers.jpg

Next will probably be some mags...

The_Gun_Guru
07-27-2012, 15:28
I just went ahead and ordered a Colt LE6920 earlier today.

I like to skip the middleman and go straight to the source! No AR building for me - I want them already built!

TGG

Schrag4
07-27-2012, 17:15

I like to skip the middleman and go straight to the source! No AR building for me - I want them already built!

TGG

I'd love to but I need to build it little by little (vs one huge expense) to appease the wife :rofl:

Restless28
07-27-2012, 17:24

TGG

Ditto, but I also plan to buy another one in parts before Christmas. I bought a FDE 6920, but I think that building one would be a neat family project.