Should You Be Allowed to Openly Carry Guns in Libraries? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should You Be Allowed to Openly Carry Guns in Libraries?

HerrGlock
07-19-2012, 06:03
http://bloomfield-mi.patch.com/articles/should-you-be-allowed-to-openly-carry-guns-in-libraries-3be856f1

PLEASE note the actual question. It is NOT
Is OC a good idea?
Can you think of reason(s) why OC is a bad idea?
Why on Earth would anyone OC?

The question is "Should it be allowed?" legally.

Bren
07-19-2012, 06:17
Yes, it should be allowed, just as it is here.

I can't imagine why "libraries" would be off limits.

Bren
07-19-2012, 10:04
Looks like limiting it to th law took all the fun out of it.

Lior
07-19-2012, 11:15
When I was a wee lad in Medical School, I came "home" on furlough while on active reserve duty and visited the Tel Aviv University Medical School Library with an M16A1 across my shoulder. The Israeli students and staff were completely cool with it, but the New York Medical Program students were freaking out. I guess not having a lifetime of conditioning of normal people carrying firearms did not help them.

So yes, I do not think that a person with no criminal intent should suddenly be permanently branded as a lawbreaker because somebody else notice that they were carry a firearm into a library. I have no problem with people carrying books into gun shops, after all.

tomcon
07-19-2012, 11:16
Actually the question is, " Should Librarians follow state law?

Yes. There are a lot of things people do in life that make me uncomfortable, that is my problem, not theirs.

Lets keep in mind that if you can control the information that people are exposed to you can control their attitudes and lead them along your chosen path. Libraries are places you should be able to go educate yourself and expand your mind, not places where you are forced to conform to other peoples ideas.

Typical strategy for Liberals. In other words, "Don't like it, Ban it"

HerrGlock
07-19-2012, 11:36
Actually the question is, " Should Librarians follow state law?

They are requesting the law be changed to exclude libraries as legally open carry places so they are following the law and they are going about the right way to change a law they don't believe in, so that's not the question. I don't agree with their thinking but they are going about trying to get it changed and not just ignoring a law they don't like.

The question stands, should you be legally allowed to OC in a library?

FL Airedale
07-19-2012, 11:44
Just don't fire it in the library. If you do an old lady is going to give you a really insistent SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!

AZL
07-19-2012, 11:53
Well...I think packin' heat in the library is almost required. Have you seen how wild those librarian chicks can be?

Seriously though...I don't see why it should be prohibited??? Makes no sense to me.

Chesafreak
07-19-2012, 12:05
Of course you should, as long as OC is allowed by law. They are public after all.

Happypuppy
07-19-2012, 12:09
Yes should you? No it is provocative IMO and not a good idea. Your milage may vary.

F350
07-19-2012, 12:22
Well...I think packin' heat in the library is almost required. Have you seen how wild those librarian chicks can be?

Heck yea!!! I'm married to one :whistling:

As for carrying.... She is director of a university library, and here in Colorado I OC in there often.

tomcon
07-19-2012, 12:31
They are requesting the law be changed to exclude libraries as legally open carry places so they are following the law and they are going about the right way to change a law they don't believe in, so that's not the question. I don't agree with their thinking but they are going about trying to get it changed and not just ignoring a law they don't like.

The answer to your question is: Yes.

There are no armed guards to walk library patrons to their vehicles, no metal detectors at the doors and the libraries are funded by taxes.

Sorry,I should have put my rephrasing of the question at the bottom of my post or better indicated sarcasm.

tomcon
07-19-2012, 12:47

"Despite filing a report with police, Baldwin is "hamstrung" when it comes to preventing such incidents in the future — hamstrung, he said, because state law allows for open carry in Michigan libraries."

This quote from the article shows a disregard for the currant law and after failing to get their way illegally, are now asking for a change in the law.

Failing to intimidate first is not following the proper steps to legally change a law you do not like.

HerrGlock
07-19-2012, 13:23
Yes should you? No it is provocative IMO and not a good idea. Your milage may vary.

Let's bounce this off the original post and see if there might be a bit of preemption to avoid conversations that have gone on ad infinitum already and trying to keep it within the scope of this article, shall we?

http://bloomfield-mi.patch.com/articles/should-you-be-allowed-to-openly-carry-guns-in-libraries-3be856f1

PLEASE note the actual question. It is NOT
Is OC a good idea?
Can you think of reason(s) why OC is a bad idea?
Why on Earth would anyone OC?

The question is "Should it be allowed?" legally.

Is it really so much to ask?

Bren

Seriously though...I don't see why it should be prohibited??? Makes no sense to me.

One thing I've noticed is that libraries are free public places where you can find bathrooms, air conditioning, soft chairs and free entertainment. I have also noticed that makes them very popular with the homeless and poor and I've noticed that crime and craziness are very popular with the homeless and poor.

HerrGlock
The answer to your question is: Yes.

There are no armed guards to walk library patrons to their vehicles, no metal detectors at the doors and the libraries are funded by taxes.

Sorry,I should have put my rephrasing of the question at the bottom of my post or better indicated sarcasm.

No problem. I hope the librarians are completely ignored in the upcoming legislative session.

sciolist
07-19-2012, 14:05
O/C should be legal, but C/C should be the norm. The article seems to vacilate back/forth between O/C and just plain carry.

SCmasterblaster
07-19-2012, 14:12
Yes indeed, OC in libraries sends a big message to criminals in libraries.

ChiTownPicaro
07-19-2012, 14:40
It is my belief that anybody should be legally allowed to carry in a library or other publicly owned buildings. Anyplace that there is no inherent risk such as a jail or prison which is owned by taxpayers should be friendly to guns. Schools, colleges, police stations, and other places all should be friendly to open and concealed carry.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HerrGlock
07-19-2012, 16:29
Yes indeed, OC in libraries sends a big message to criminals in libraries.

You have to share your secret to being able to teleport from home to the library without ever going to work, grocery store, get gas, stop by to drop off dry cleaning, etc between the two. It must be that you can instantaneously appear in the library and then at home and could not possibly that you never considered the getting to and going from the library in your comment.

I've been tired of people using "You couldn't possibly need a gun while dropping off your kid at school" comments. If you deny at a place, you are also denying it from the time you leave your house until you get back to the house as well. Then later it's "Well you cannot carry anywhere anyway, we might as well repeal the law."

HerrGlock
07-19-2012, 16:33
O/C should be legal, but C/C should be the norm. The article seems to vacilate back/forth between O/C and just plain carry.

It's a common thing with such articles. Couple possible reasons for it. One is the person writing doesn't really care about the difference and is just being sloppy about it. Another is the same reason you see the VPC start talking about "gun crime" then in different places in the same article drop the word gun just so they can use general crime statistics and hope people don't notice.

It wouldn't surprise me to find the people who are writing the request are actually requesting libraries be off limits to carrying in any manner but want to use open carry to get the most support for the petition.

Bruce M
07-19-2012, 18:32
One thing I've noticed is that libraries are free public places where you can find bathrooms, air conditioning, soft chairs and free entertainment. I have also noticed that makes them very popular with the homeless and poor and I've noticed that crime and craziness are very popular with the homeless and poor.

Agreed. Sometimes perhaps more popular for homeless than for actual patrons.

jdavionic
07-19-2012, 18:41
Yes. Whether there is merit in doing so or not is not a question for debate according to the OP. Therefore I'll just leave it as "yes".

lostone1413
07-19-2012, 18:45
You should be able to carry anyway you want at anyplace.

jdavionic
07-19-2012, 18:50
You should be able to carry anyway you want at anyplace.

That's pretty broad brushed. So your right to carry trumps a person's right to forbid you to carry on their property - e.g., small business owner?

lostone1413
07-19-2012, 18:58
That's pretty broad brushed. So your right to carry trumps a person's right to forbid you to carry on their property - e.g., small business owner?

In my book it does. Concealed is concealed. I'm not telling anyone to break the law but I will tell you this I've through the years known a couple that today are in the Cemetery that I'd bet the farm that them last few minutes wished they broke the law

steveksux
07-19-2012, 19:38

They're really reaching. There are places in state law listed where you're not allowed to possess a pistol so you would normally not be able to OC there. The problem with those places is this: if you have a CPL, you can OC a pistol there. Having a CPL from MI or any other state, exempts you from those places that are off limits to OC for people without a CPL.

Libraries would have to become the only place in the state you wouldn't be able to OC a pistol if you had a CPL.

Of course, I'm not counting the places where the state legislature doesn't have jurisdiction, like fed no pistol zones and the courts.

How funny would that be? They get libraries added to the list of places you can't posess a pistol, and the CPL loophole still has people OCing in the library. Hell, I don't generally OC, but in their case I'd make an exception... :rofl:
Randy

Walk Soft
07-19-2012, 19:43
with a supressor,sure.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-19-2012, 20:01
I advocate OC of proton packs as in Ghostbusters, if you remember the opening of the first movie. Scared the crap out of my little girl.

Seriously, I think carry should be allowed anywhere there is not a technical reason not to - the MRI room example.

JuneyBooney
07-20-2012, 13:05
Yes, it should be allowed, just as it is here.

I can't imagine why "libraries" would be off limits.

I agree.

unit1069
07-20-2012, 23:59
Should You Be Allowed to Openly Carry Guns in Libraries?

Even on a good day it's hard to defend one's choice to be provocative even with the law on his/her side. On days like today in the aftermath of the Aurora, CO massacre it's all the more indefensible!

Sheesh, can anyone with any ounce of intelligence imagine what the sight of an OC advocate in a library (or elsewhere) would cause in Colorado or the rest of America at the present time?

Will you OC advocates come to your senses and quit giving the Brady Campaign and Radical Left Democrats the justification for curbing our hard-won Second Amendment rights? You people are undercutting everything Second Amendment advocates have fought for and won, for cripe's sake!

rmodel65
07-21-2012, 00:56
So exercising the right to carry openly(which is the right enumerated under the second amendment) is undercutting the second amendment?

NEOH212
07-21-2012, 02:02
Yes. It should be allowed.