Noticed something [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noticed something

attrapereves
07-19-2012, 21:02
I've noticed something funny about Glock 20 and 29s posted in the classifieds...

It seems like almost every one of them has "like new, only fired a few mags" in the description. Sure, there are 9s and 40s that are in similar condition, but there are just as many that have been fired plenty and are not in "like new" condition. However, I rarely see a 10mm posted that has seen lots of love.

I wonder if people buy it for the hype, shoot a box or two of ammo through it, and then decide that factory 10mm ammo is either too expensive or too hard to find.

Anyone else noticed this too?

AKRover
07-19-2012, 21:15
My Glock 20 has seen lots of range time and holster in the 5 years I've owned it. Not only does it show normal signs of being carried and used but the modifications I've done definitely prevent it from being confused for new. 10mm is popular where I live so ammunition is pretty easy to find but it's still expensive. I think a lot of people have no idea about the 10mm when they buy it and find they don't like the recoil. I personally went from carrying a 44 Mag revolver to my Glock 20 so I'm kind of accustomed to recoil.

Fire_Medic
07-19-2012, 21:20
I've noticed something funny about Glock 20 and 29s posted in the classifieds...

It seems like almost every one of them has "like new, only fired a few mags" in the description. Sure, there are 9s and 40s that are in similar condition, but there are just as many that have been fired plenty and are not in "like new" condition. However, I rarely see a 10mm posted that has seen lots of love.

I wonder if people buy it for the hype, shoot a box or two of ammo through it, and then decide that factory 10mm ammo is either too expensive or too hard to find.

Anyone else noticed this too?

While I myself find the 10MM to be one of the most versatile semi auto calibers there are because of the variety of ammo you can load and shoot, I think the average joe gets a 10MM as a "toy", and said person most likely doesn't reload, and then reality hits on the cost of ammo VS WWB 9mm at Walmart. I would also venture to say in some parts 10MM ammo is hard to come by, let alone "real" 10MM and not 10MM lite (40SW).

There's a lot of deals to be had on used 10MM guns that are like new, and that's good for those of us who like the caliber. I'm new to the 10 and reloading it but the deeper I get into it, the less sense it makes to have a lot of other calibers of firearms, if for nothing else, just simply the fact that with conversion barrels for my G20 I can shoot many of the other calibers that interest me.

I'm even strongly considering a G29SF for my EDC gun now, if you would have told me that a couple of years ago I would have said you're insane.

A buddy of mine made a joke the other day, he said keep it metric and you've got your bases covered, there's nothing you could need or want to do that 9mm/10mm won't cover. I found that saying amusing, but it does hold merit.

So yeah, no fear, there's a bunch of good deals on like new 10MM guns, just like a bunch of the 40SW guns too.

:wavey:

attrapereves
07-19-2012, 21:27
I'm even strongly considering a G29SF for my EDC gun now, if you would have told me that a couple of years ago I would have said you're insane.

A buddy of mine made a joke the other day, he said keep it metric and you;ve got your bases covered, there nothing you could need or want to do that 9mm/10mm won't cover. I found that saying amusing, but it does hold merit.

:wavey:

My G29sf has been my EDC for a while now. Actually, I switch off between it and the G19. The G19 is thinner, but the G29 conceals easier in the summer.

In regards to the "metric" thing. I did the exact same thing a few months ago when I sold off my 45ACPs. For me, 40SW doesn't do anything that a 9mm can't do. 45ACP is a good caliber, but guns in the caliber often weigh more and capacity is lower. In fact, in the same size gun as a 45ACP, I can have a 10mm that holds a few more rounds and is a better all-around gun for protection, hunting, etc.

From now on, 9mm and 10mm will be my only handgun calibers (until I eventually pick up a revolver).

dl645
07-20-2012, 07:05
From now on, 9mm and 10mm will be my only handgun calibers (until I eventually pick up a revolver).
No need to give up there either. If you're patient you can often find used S&W 610s on gunbroker or at gun shows.