Multiple projectile rounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple projectile rounds

RottnJP
07-19-2012, 22:23
Good evening, Mas.

What is your thought on the boutique rounds that have multiple projectiles per round?

On the more mundane side, "buck and ball loads" seem to be reasonably accepted for a 12g, if not entirely "recommended."

On the more esoteric side, there are things like Doubletap's "equalizer" loads which use a light bullet as well as a ball:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=42

Claimed gel performance:

230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

10% calibrated gel, 4 layers denim, 2 layers cotton T shirt, Stock G20

(He has similar loads for other calibers, which claim to keep the ball and HP close together (1" @ 10 yards, 2.5" at 25 yds))

What's your take? Any field history on this type of thing beyond .mil's experiments many years ago with multiple rifle projectiles? Is it an "under-recognized potentially good idea" for maximizing the chances of a critical CNS/circulatory hit, or a "solution in search of a problem" in the face of known solid performance from more conventional loads?

FWIW, for years I've carried the 165 gr GD load in my .40's and #1 Federal high-brass 2.75" in my 12g, and don't really have any concerns with their performance, based on what I know anyway.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Mas Ayoob
07-21-2012, 19:20
The only multi-ball handgun loads I've run across shootings with were the old Remington, and snakeshot/ratshot. None seem to be impressive.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Mas