FFFFF******* Cracked Slide 29 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FFFF*********** Cracked Slide 29

DeLo
07-20-2012, 06:56
Cleaning my CCW this morning left me so angry. My slide is cracked on my 29sf. I don't shoot reloads and I have only had 1200 rounds through it..

DeLo
07-20-2012, 07:00
man...

Fire_Medic
07-20-2012, 07:02
Have you called Glock yet?

DeLo
07-20-2012, 07:08
yeah I'm sending it in

wdp
07-20-2012, 07:09
Cracks can happen for different reasons. I don't recall ever reading about this on G29. Wonder if it was a tool mark that grew into something larger. Good luck and report back on the outcome.

Fire_Medic
07-20-2012, 07:20
yeah I'm sending it in

Ok good. Keep us posted :wavey:

DeLo
07-20-2012, 07:54
Ok good. Keep us posted :wavey:
I know they'll do right by it, I just don't like the idea of having a mismatched gun.

Foxtrotx1
07-20-2012, 08:09
That sucks. Millions of pistols, had to happen to somebody, but sucks none the less.

nickE10mm
07-20-2012, 10:26
Weird... never seen that on a G29...

Glock will replace it for you, I'm sure.

Also, as far as mismatched serials... don't worry too much. Remember, the serial numbers are for the GUBMINT only ... we don't care what our serial numbers are... makes no diff. to most shooters. Don't sweat it.

ctious
07-20-2012, 10:35
Send them the whole gun request a whole new one. U bought it matching u deserve a matching one back.

attrapereves
07-20-2012, 13:37
I've never heard of a cracked G29 slide, but I do remember when 21carrier cracked his locking block.

DeLo
07-20-2012, 14:21
Weird... never seen that on a G29...

Glock will replace it for you, I'm sure.

Also, as far as mismatched serials... don't worry too much. Remember, the serial numbers are for the GUBMINT only ... we don't care what our serial numbers are... makes no diff. to most shooters. Don't sweat it.

I agree with you. But this weapon is in my carry rotation, I would prefer matching due to that alone. Up until a few weeks ago I had a twin for this one (an older 29sf), so I'm now kicking myself.

_The_Shadow
07-20-2012, 15:50
That's the first I've seen, best regards getting satisfaction!

JAS104
07-20-2012, 15:53
Man I've never seen a crack there before. ESPECIALLY after 1200 rds.
Good thing you're sending it in, they'll no doubt replace it.
I know how tight a man gets with his ccw, I feel for you.

arushus
07-20-2012, 16:03
I've never heard of a cracked G29 slide, but I do remember when 21carrier cracked his locking block.

If the G29's were defective, his would have been the one to crack also! That guy ran thousands of hot rounds through his 29...

texas 48
07-21-2012, 17:24
I agree with you. But this weapon is in my carry rotation, I would prefer matching due to that alone. Up until a few weeks ago I had a twin for this one (an older 29sf), so I'm now kicking myself.

I had the exact same thing happen to a G29 with less than 500 thru it. Glock accused me of dropping the slide on concrete. Took 16 weeks to get it replaced. Sorry you have the same issue. Hope they don't do the same thing to you and you get it replaced.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Alcoy
07-21-2012, 17:31
hope glock will make it right for you. keep us posted.

DeLo
07-23-2012, 08:01
I had the exact same thing happen to a G29 with less than 500 thru it. Glock accused me of dropping the slide on concrete. Took 16 weeks to get it replaced. Sorry you have the same issue. Hope they don't do the same thing to you and you get it replaced.

Did they just replace the slide?

VN350X10
07-27-2012, 22:54
Well over 8K thru my 29, never seen one like that before. The idea of a tooling mark that spread seems like a valid possibility.

uncle albert

texas 48
07-27-2012, 23:45
Did they just replace the slide?

Sent Me a new gun

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

alwaysshootin
07-28-2012, 09:17
Cleaning my CCW this morning left me so angry. My slide is cracked on my 29sf. I don't shoot reloads and I have only had 1200 rounds through it..

That's why I'll never own a SF model!

Just kidding!:supergrin: Send it back and Glock will make it right. They are good about that!

oceanbob
07-28-2012, 11:36
Well over 8K thru my 29, never seen one like that before. The idea of a tooling mark that spread seems like a valid possibility.

uncle albert

This^^.

You could probably run 10,000 rounds thru this slide without issue. It's not like the recoil spring is going to bend the metal. A tooling crack might have been there since new, opening up eventually enough to be noticed.

Glock will make it right.!

agtman
07-28-2012, 16:52
man...

Chinese steel ... ? :shocked:

'Kay, just kiddin' :rofl:

Definitely return it to Glock. Sorry it happened to ya, Bro.

:cool:

bac1023
07-28-2012, 19:02
Wow, hope it works out for you.

leadslinger13
07-28-2012, 22:25

seriously!!!! that chaps my ass that they would say that. I mean aren't these weapons supposed to be combat grade? they should be able to withstand drops on various surfaces.

glad you were able to get it replaced.

VN350X10
07-28-2012, 22:28
That comment about "dropping" is a real kick.
Haven't they thrown a G17 out of a chopper at over 200' altitude ?

jes' sayin'

uncle

dm1906
07-28-2012, 23:11
Dropped on concrete? Sure. If they break, when dropped on concrete, they couldn't sell them in CA (hence the name "drop list"). Of course, we know that didn't happen. So what if it did? Ridiculous for them to suggest it.

tyr0981
07-29-2012, 02:09
wowzers.... yeah that's BS, strange these oddball things seam to only happen on the 'SF' models...? well at least my 29 'None SF' is in the clear! 'knocking on wood'! i'm prolly going to get run over by a dump truck now ..... :sigh:

NEOH212
07-29-2012, 03:00
This is the first 29 I've ever heard of having this issue. I'm sure it's just a freak thing. Glock should take care of you without a problem.

texas 48
07-29-2012, 12:42
This is the first 29 I've ever heard of having this issue. I'm sure it's just a freak thing. Glock should take care of you without a problem.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean a thing. The OP and I had it happen to is so now you have heard of it. Glock perfection is BS. Glock has a reputation for sweeping problems under the rug and blaming the owners ,bad ammo when they screw up. And in my case coming out of the block they tried to blame me for dropping the slide.

RYT 2BER
07-29-2012, 20:29
Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean a thing. The OP and I had it happen to is so now you have heard of it. Glock perfection is BS. Glock has a reputation for sweeping problems under the rug and blaming the owners ,bad ammo when they screw up. And in my case coming out of the block they tried to blame me for dropping the slide.

Dropping the slide shouldn't have caused the break either regardless if it was dropped or not. What a dumb statement for them to make.. Really wonder what genius over at glock said that...

GLOCK17DB9
07-29-2012, 20:44
Good Luck! Hope you get a completely new gun.:supergrin:

Tazz10m
07-31-2012, 16:00
Well, isn't this thread interesting...

Ok, diving in. Last night i was looking at the front of my G20 considering a flashlight mount for it and low and behold i noticed what looked like a horizontal crack in the guide rod hole "lobe" that's just under the barrel hole in the slide. So, of course i pulled the slide off and got out a magnifying glass and sure enough, several horizontal cracks on each side of the hole and the lobe was even bent in a bit. I also noticed a dent in the bottom of the lobe where it must have contacted either a large rock or concrete floor. I'm not going to blame this on anyone but myself because i can remember dropping the gun before and i've even watched a customer drop it at a show once... so... my bad. And so, also, yeah, it DOES happen... and it easily can have enough force to crack it exactly like it's cracked. At any rate, i obviously need to replace the slide... *sniff*... I already called Glock and left a message, but, i have to ask; What is the "fast track" best way to get a new slide that will fit and work with this old frame? It's one of the original low serial number G20's. I'm so bummed. :shocked:

DeLo
08-15-2012, 14:00
Just got off the phone with Glock and they were baffled by the crack in the slide. They said that the barrel wear wasn't consistent with the slide wear and they said by the looks of the slide it was a high round gun. Of course this wasn't the case I bought it brand new and haven't broken 1500 rounds with it. End of the story, they are ordering me another 29sf and the replacement should be available to ship in the next 2-3 weeks. Once again great customer service from the Warranty Team at Glock Smyrna.

Eric2340
08-16-2012, 04:39

So now Glock claims their next to indestructible pistols can't take a normal drop height on to concrete?

Interesting, considering they must think they can take the force of impact from the recoil of a 10mm round, but not a simple, normal drop on to concrete. Hmmm.................

Am I the only one who thinks this is ass backwards as far as which one would have more force?

At least it sounds like Glock is making it right for the OP.

DeLo
09-05-2012, 12:41
Today I received a call from the guys up at Glock letting me know my pistol was test fired yesterday and while trying to transfer my night sights they broke the screw on the front sight. They offered to install Glock NSs for no extra cost and let me know it would be shipping this week. Excellent customer service from the whole team up there and I can't wait to get my 10 back.

spcwes
09-05-2012, 13:28
Dropping the slide shouldn't have caused the break either regardless if it was dropped or not. What a dumb statement for them to make.. Really wonder what genius over at glock said that...

One of our officers had a problem with slide cracks, not sure where they were but all the same sent it back to Glock and there was a fella not sure what department but his name was Will that was a real ass to him on the phone.

He could not believe he was actually talking to a person at Glock and put the phone on speaker so we could hear this person tell him that the crack could not have happened from normal wear and tear and he would have had to either drop it or shoot extremely hot, high pressure loads all the time for that to have occured.

Since he had the weapon (purchased new) he had about 400 rounds or less of blazer FMJ ammo though it and had only noticed the cracks when he was making sure it was clean to sell it. Actually I think I can say I was on the range with him everytime it was fired. Never had been dropped, weapon looked brand new and the barrel didn't even show real color wear yet so I guess everyone gets their panties in a wad at some point in time.

B.Reid
09-05-2012, 14:56
So Glock says that the frame will crack if you drop the gun?

DeLo
09-05-2012, 22:39
One of our officers had a problem with slide cracks, not sure where they were but all the same sent it back to Glock and there was a fella not sure what department but his name was Will that was a real ass to him on the phone.

He could not believe he was actually talking to a person at Glock and put the phone on speaker so we could hear this person tell him that the crack could not have happened from normal wear and tear and he would have had to either drop it or shoot extremely hot, high pressure loads all the time for that to have occured.

Since he had the weapon (purchased new) he had about 400 rounds or less of blazer FMJ ammo though it and had only noticed the cracks when he was making sure it was clean to sell it. Actually I think I can say I was on the range with him everytime it was fired. Never had been dropped, weapon looked brand new and the barrel didn't even show real color wear yet so I guess everyone gets their panties in a wad at some point in time.
Lee helped me with my 29, I appreciated his help.

fastbolt
09-06-2012, 20:59
I'm glad they're taking care of you.

Something that some folks might want to take into consideration, though, is that the guide ring part of the slide isn't one of the thicker spots of the slide.

Dropping a slide muzzle-first onto a hard surface, like concrete ... from either off a table or from hand height, while the gun is field stripped for cleaning ... might result in damage to the slide at that spot.

FWIW, according to what we've been told during my couple of M&P pistols armorer classes, trying to minimize the potential for that sort of damage was the reason S&W engineers designed their M&P slides to be thicker at that spot. (You have to imagine cops standing around a cleaning station, located on a concrete floor, with their field-stripped pistols, to appreciate the potential for a slide being dropped muzzle first onto the ground. ;)