anyone use longer barrel for their Glock 29? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone use longer barrel for their Glock 29?

JeremyInMT
07-20-2012, 09:40
Well I have a few shooting sessions at the range in now with my 29sf. One thing I have noticed is that the DT hard cast are not very accurate or at least not as predictable as the other stuff I have shot. I've probably put 500 rds through the gun now and after about 200 it settled down with everything except the hard cast. I used 200gr and 230gr of which 230gr was the worse of the two. Even the 200gr was all over the place though. So in cruising around youtube and watching hickock45 I see that he has the same issue and when he puts in an aftermarket barrel, the hardcast settles down too. So my thought is to go KKM. When I called them, he told me they all come 4.7" and they will cut them down for no extra charge to whatever size I'd want. I know the longer the barrel the more fps but I also like the compactness of my 29sf. Has anyone else had this dilemma and thought through it? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and why you decided what you did if you'd be so kind as to share it. Thanks in advance for any help.

nickE10mm
07-20-2012, 10:24
Well I have a few shooting sessions at the range in now with my 29sf. One thing I have noticed is that the DT hard cast are not very accurate or at least not as predictable as the other stuff I have shot. I've probably put 500 rds through the gun now and after about 200 it settled down with everything except the hard cast. I used 200gr and 230gr of which 230gr was the worse of the two. Even the 200gr was all over the place though. So in cruising around youtube and watching hickock45 I see that he has the same issue and when he puts in an aftermarket barrel, the hardcast settles down too. So my thought is to go KKM. When I called them, he told me they all come 4.7" and they will cut them down for no extra charge to whatever size I'd want. I know the longer the barrel the more fps but I also like the compactness of my 29sf. Has anyone else had this dilemma and thought through it? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and why you decided what you did if you'd be so kind as to share it. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would agree, the stock barrels (both G20 and G29) are less than idea for the hardcast stuff from DT, and most hardcast. I always got "pattersn" instead of groups, where my hot handloaded 200gr XTP's grouped quite well. An after market barrel should help.

4.6" is the stock length and most aftermarket barrels seem like they are 4.7" (they are a BIT longer than stock, VERYYYY slightly longer. No biggie. If you wanna know what length to get, I'd recommend stock length (3.8" G29 and 4.6" G20) in most cases. The extra length won't matter too much and you can always reload and make your loads more powerful without having extra tube hangin' out. Just my take on it. I've owned both.

cowboywannabe
07-20-2012, 10:25
i know a few on here do. i dont. i either want to carry a long barrel G20 or a short bbl G29. the grip of the G29 is a bit too short for me without the mag base extentions as well.

maybe a "G19 version" in 10mm is the answer.........

deadandgone
07-20-2012, 15:27
Storm lake, about a 4 1/2 inch barrel...improves accuracy on the heavier bullets. It is what I have in my g29 now. I have had good luck with mine....I understand that others have had issues...I am happy.

swinokur
07-21-2012, 04:58
I have an 4.48:" Storm Lake. No issues. I don't shoot lead BTW. I shoot 180g GD from Underwood.

Big Sam
07-21-2012, 08:39
I've been running the 4.48" Storm Lake barrel with 100% feed & function. It shoots my 200gr Beartooth WFN with accuracy. It shoots everything well. Since I put better sights on the G29 and practice a lot, I've noticed the oem barrel does not shoot everything well. I'm very satisfied with the SL barrel.

HiVel
07-21-2012, 09:13
I have a Canadian Storm Lake on order -I think that is a 106mm barrel. -just a tad longer than stock.

ctious
07-21-2012, 09:26
Check your barrel for enough free bore. Both my stock and lone wolf barrel shot lead poorly. I thouhht it was just cause its lead. What i found was my lead loads were well into the rifilling when just dropped into the barrel. I lapped it. Opened it up enough to be able to drop all my lead loads in. Accuracy improved big time.

oceanbob
07-22-2012, 07:37
I use a 4.48 Storm Lake barrel which after a little polishing (not the case support area) runs 100% with the 200 Grain hardcast from Double-Tap) I really don't see a need to run a 230 grainer; just not required for a carry/woods gun.

(A 230 grain .40 caliber boolet has issues; too long, too heavy, which makes feeding sluggish and unrifled barrels don't have time to stabilize it in a short barrel. JMO folks)

My favorite two factory loads on my G29 are Winchester Silvertip 175s and Buffalo Bore 180 grain. Third would be the 200 Grain hardcast for the woods or car door removal.

Since I reload as well I do have a few hot plinking loads that I run...mainly to burn up 4 pounds of AA #5 I bought 20 years ago; loading 155 grain plated berries. 1350 out of my G20; don't know how fast out of the G29 but since the aftermarket barrel is close to the G20 barrel (not quite) length, I suspect something in the neighborhood of 1250.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2a5ynip.jpg

I also have a second G29 (one is never enough) that I wanted to install a lonewolf barrel in stock length. Lonewolf is probably the worst managed company in regards to future planning and actually ordering (from their supplier) product to accomodate customers; they simply cannot catch up and the word BACKORDER should be their middle name...LONEWOLF BACKORDER DISTRIBUTORS . (these people are clueless in the business world)..Promises over the years to revamp their business formula when simply taking 15 minutes to DOUBLE production would garner more $ from orders and not be constantly backordered. I can only say the results so far are "Big Hat, No Cattle".

of course Lonewolf was backordered on the stock length barrel, so I ordered (at greater expense) a 'Ported' barrel for my G29; figured I would just CUT the barrel back to stock length at a later date. Haven't done that yet however. This barrel also runs the same (100%) as the Stormlake. Just fine.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2hqawio.jpg

It should be noted that the STOCK barrel in the G29 runs 100% with my handloads or factory loads in Silvertip 175s. (I bought 500 Silvertips for reloading from Midway...good stuff to reload) and also the Buffalo Bore...real hot but very accurate. So if the G29 is spending the day as a carry weapon in East Los Angeles...she has the factory barrel. I have no problems shooting 200 Double Tap hard cast out of the factory barrel as well. Seems accurate; just not what I would carry for self defense in the city.

http://i52.tinypic.com/347vb84.jpg

Be well, Bob

barth
07-22-2012, 07:48
I use a 4.48 Storm Lake barrel which after a little polishing (not the case support area) runs 100% with the 200 Grain hardcast from Double-Tap) I really don't see a need to run a 230 grainer; just not required for a carry/woods gun.

(A 230 grain .40 caliber boolet has issues; too long, too heavy, which makes feeding sluggish and unrifled barrels don't have time to stabilize it in a short barrel. JMO folks)

My favorite two factory loads on my G29 are Winchester Silvertip 175s and Buffalo Bore 180 grain. Third would be the 200 Grain hardcast for the woods or car door removal.

Since I reload as well I do have a few hot plinking loads that I run...mainly to burn up 4 pounds of AA #5 I bought 20 years ago; loading 155 grain plated berries. 1350 out of my G20; don't know how fast out of the G29 but since the aftermarket barrel is close to the G20 barrel (not quite) length, I suspect something in the neighborhood of 1250.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2a5ynip.jpg

I also have a second G29 (one is never enough) that I wanted to install a lonewolf barrel in stock length. Lonewolf is probably the worst managed company in regards to future planning and actually ordering (from their supplier) product to accomodate customers; they simply cannot catch up and the word BACKORDER should be their middle name...LONEWOLF BACKORDER DISTRIBUTORS . (these people are clueless in the business world)..Promises over the years to revamp their business formula when simply taking 15 minutes to DOUBLE production would garner more $ from orders and not be constantly backordered. I can only say the results so far are "Big Hat, No Cattle".

of course Lonewolf was backordered on the stock length barrel, so I ordered (at greater expense) a 'Ported' barrel for my G29; figured I would just CUT the barrel back to stock length at a later date. Haven't done that yet however. This barrel also runs the same (100%) as the Stormlake. Just fine.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2hqawio.jpg

It should be noted that the STOCK barrel in the G29 runs 100% with my handloads or factory loads in Silvertip 175s. (I bought 500 Silvertips for reloading from Midway...good stuff to reload) and also the Buffalo Bore...real hot but very accurate. So if the G29 is spending the day as a carry weapon in East Los Angeles...she has the factory barrel. I have no problems shooting 200 Double Tap hard cast out of the factory barrel as well. Seems accurate; just not what I would carry for self defense in the city.

http://i52.tinypic.com/347vb84.jpg

Be well, Bob

I've got a 4.16" dual ported Storm Lake 357 Sig in my G27.
Was really surprised by the recoil reduction.
So I got a 5.10" dual ported Storm Lake for my P220/45.
Barrel runs fine and muzzle flip is reduced.
But I didn't get the recoil reduction I was looking for.

I'm thinking porting may work better with high pressure high velocity calibers. Do you get a reduced felt recoil in 10mm
with the extended porting?

Thanks,
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo25/98/8b/08ecddc9b9ba__1340462567000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo21/1f/a8/235f0e4282ad__1341891045000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

oceanbob
07-22-2012, 10:27
I can't tell any difference between the Lonewolf ported barrel and the Stormlake unported barrel.

Same/ Same

dm1906
07-22-2012, 11:52
Traditional porting won't, necessarily, reduce recoil. It isn't designed to. It offers muzzle control, which may increase felt recoil. Muzzle porting redirects combustion gasses, to help reduce muzzle flip. With the same gasses and recoil available, reducing a muzzle flip sends that energy in a different direction. Less muzzle rise results in that recoil energy being redirected more linear with the bore (more inline with the wrist/arm of the shooter), which is an increase of felt recoil. Compensators, on the other hand, can do both, reduce muzzle flip for the same reasons above, and reduce felt recoil. Reduced felt recoil is accomplished by venting gasses over a longer period of time, over a longer bullet travel in the bore. It softens the recoil impact by spreading the force over time/distance. A side effect of Comp's is velocity loss. Venting gas while the bullet is still accelerating in the bore, reduces pressure, resulting in less acceleration. However, in the case of Glock and other's "-C" pistols, the mass removed for the purpose of porting (barrel and slide), is significant, so you don't get the full benefit of the comp vs. recoil reduction. Recoil impact is absorbed by mass, either within the pistol, or by the shooter. Unless you have a specific need for a comp (mid barrel), they are essentially useless, IMO. You could do better using a lower power cartridge, which is what you end up with in the end, anyway. Velocity loss with traditional porting (Magna-Port, or more current vertical porting) is negligible, while loss with a comp is substantial. For the purpose of recoil reduction and the 10mm, comps aren't the answer. The cartridge begins with a finite amount of energy, and it all has to go somewhere. Sure, you can say you are shooting a 10mm, but in reality, you are shooting a really loud .40S&W, if that (ballistically, assuming you started with full power 10mm). Nothing is free, everything comes with a price. Less felt recoil will cost you, in velocity, muzzle/comp blast, and/or increased size/mass. Pick one, or more.

nickE10mm
07-22-2012, 14:33
Traditional porting won't, necessarily, reduce recoil. It isn't designed to. It offers muzzle control, which may increase felt recoil. Muzzle porting redirects combustion gasses, to help reduce muzzle flip. With the same gasses and recoil available, reducing a muzzle flip sends that energy in a different direction. Less muzzle rise results in that recoil energy being redirected more linear with the bore (more inline with the wrist/arm of the shooter), which is an increase of felt recoil. Compensators, on the other hand, can do both, reduce muzzle flip for the same reasons above, and reduce felt recoil. Reduced felt recoil is accomplished by venting gasses over a longer period of time, over a longer bullet travel in the bore. It softens the recoil impact by spreading the force over time/distance. A side effect of Comp's is velocity loss. Venting gas while the bullet is still accelerating in the bore, reduces pressure, resulting in less acceleration. However, in the case of Glock and other's "-C" pistols, the mass removed for the purpose of porting (barrel and slide), is significant, so you don't get the full benefit of the comp vs. recoil reduction. Recoil impact is absorbed by mass, either within the pistol, or by the shooter. Unless you have a specific need for a comp (mid barrel), they are essentially useless, IMO. You could do better using a lower power cartridge, which is what you end up with in the end, anyway. Velocity loss with traditional porting (Magna-Port, or more current vertical porting) is negligible, while loss with a comp is substantial. For the purpose of recoil reduction and the 10mm, comps aren't the answer. The cartridge begins with a finite amount of energy, and it all has to go somewhere. Sure, you can say you are shooting a 10mm, but in reality, you are shooting a really loud .40S&W, if that (ballistically, assuming you started with full power 10mm). Nothing is free, everything comes with a price. Less felt recoil will cost you, in velocity, muzzle/comp blast, and/or increased size/mass. Pick one, or more.

Excellent post.

JeremyInMT
07-22-2012, 21:46
Boy, this has given a fair amount to think about. I guess I need to figure out how long of a "snout" I want out of the front of the gun for starters. I had been thinking maybe 4.5" but that might be a pretty good snout. When I measured it out on paper and added a piece of paper to adding .25", .5", etc, I was surprised to see how much .25" even added. So if I did a 4" barrel, I'd effectively be adding roughly 10fps give or take depending on the original fps, is that about right? lol

MikeSantor
07-22-2012, 22:08
Great thread Jeremy, as the next gun I buy will be a 29 and I have actually been looking for pros and cons of extended barrels and also extended vs extended ported. Lots of good info here...

TomAiello
07-23-2012, 07:20
A side effect of Comp's is velocity loss.

If I screw a compensator onto the end of my threaded barrel, will I lose velocity?

dm1906
07-23-2012, 08:34
If I screw a compensator onto the end of my threaded barrel, will I lose velocity?

Not likely. "Adding" a comp without compromising barrel length doesn't "remove" gas pressure, compared to the before. The venting is occurring after what would have been your original barrel length. Adding mass to the barrel can, and often does, effect action timing, which can affect bullet performance in several ways.

However.....It is remotely possible, with so many variables. Much would depend on the weapon, cartridge, conditions, and the comp design. If it does, it probably wouldn't be detectable without and extensive ballistic trend history. In any case, probably wouldn't be significant enough to cause concern. If you lose velocity, it would be the exception, not the rule, and if it were more than 1%, I'd be intrigued. Try it and let us know.

JeremyInMT
07-23-2012, 21:58
Any other pictures of people with different length barrels on their G29's? :D

HiVel
07-24-2012, 07:32
Just got my Storm Lake 106mm -std is 96mm) . It is a bit longer than (10mm) I thought it would be, but totaly cool -will send pics pretty soon.

JeremyInMT
07-24-2012, 11:39
Just got my Storm Lake 106mm -std is 96mm) . It is a bit longer than (10mm) I thought it would be, but totaly cool -will send pics pretty soon.

Awesome. That would give me a good reference as to what it really looks like.

nickE10mm
07-24-2012, 17:48
Any other pictures of people with different length barrels on their G29's? :D

Had a 4.3" or so barrel for one of my prior G29's and it worked well but this was before my Chrony days. It functioned great and was accurate. I'll try and dig up a pic.

Took it deer hunting in a mountain ravine a few nights too

swinokur
07-25-2012, 06:06
I shoot Underwood 180g GD JHP at 1300 FPS through my G29SF stock barrel and my SL 4.48" no issues.

Kegs
07-25-2012, 08:45
I have one. IT gives me 60 extra fps on a 200gr. bullet. The stock barrel stays in storage now. The KKM measures 4.45" - that was longest length KKM had at the time I guess.

I think this is a good length. It allows for more power without affecting carrying space at all (though it is a little heavier).

Now no worries about shooting lead.

nickE10mm
07-25-2012, 09:05
I have one. IT gives me 60 extra fps on a 200gr. bullet. The stock barrel stays in storage now. The KKM measures 4.45" - that was longest length KKM had at the time I guess.

I think this is a good length. It allows for more power without affecting carrying space at all (though it is a little heavier).

Now no worries about shooting lead.

Trying to recall the specifics... from 3.8" to 4.6" to 6" barrel... velocity change is ~60fps then another ~60fps ... sound about right?

JeremyInMT
07-25-2012, 11:41
Trying to recall the specifics... from 3.8" to 4.6" to 6" barrel... velocity change is ~60fps then another ~60fps ... sound about right?
If memory serves, it was 60fps for those deltas with 180/200gr but more like 90fps for the same deltas at 135/155gr.

nickE10mm
07-25-2012, 19:25
If memory serves, it was 60fps for those deltas with 180/200gr but more like 90fps for the same deltas at 135/155gr.

Well yea... Light bullets will gain more than heavy ones...

What I meant was that I forgot the velocity difference between G29 to G20 ..... Versus a G20 to a 6". I never did much g29 chrono testing with the G29 and was asking this to people who had.