Cheap over the little things! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap over the little things!

SigFTW
07-20-2012, 12:24
Went to a indoor gun range to shoot my new P226, first time there. They give me the rules and start reading over them and get to number 18 "LEAVE ALL SPENT CASINGS ON FLOOR. NO PICKING UP OF BRASS IS ALLOWED." I handed the form back to the girl and said "I won't be shooting here" and left.

I can drop big bucks on guns and not think twice, but to leave my spent brass for the gun range, HECK NO!!! It's mine!!!! my precious, precious!! how dear they try to take my $10.00 worth of precious, precious brass! :steamed: It's not a very reloader (is that a word?) friendly gun range.

As I am driving away I think to my self, you cheap ba*tard, you left and did not shoot because of $10.00 worth of brass.:faint:

But it's sooooooo hard to leave my precious, precious!

Ho-well, I'll hit the range by the house, they let you pick up your precious, precious.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg558/SigFTW1/smeagol.jpg

4 glocks
07-20-2012, 13:12
I am sure it's for saftey reasons as most brass lands in the fireing lane. $10 worth of brass? How many rounds were you going to shoot? If you owned the range would you want people going down range to get a few $$$ of brass. Good luck with you new 226.

Gregg702
07-20-2012, 13:22
I am sure it's for saftey reasons as most brass lands in the fireing lane. $10 worth of brass? How many rounds were you going to shoot? If you owned the range would you want people going down range to get a few $$$ of brass. Good luck with you new 226.

I assume it is for both safety reasons, and to resell the brass. How do they feel about revolver shooters keeping their brass, I wonder.

cowboy1964
07-20-2012, 13:34
Shoot steel or aluminum.

SigFTW
07-20-2012, 13:36
Shoot steel or aluminum.

That is a good point however they have a sigh up that says "No Steel or Aluminum Case Ammo" ???

arclight610
07-20-2012, 14:01
That is a good point however they have a sigh up that says "No Steel or Aluminum Case Ammo" ???

Then it's clear that they want the brass for money.

45caldan
07-20-2012, 14:15
I also would go somewhere else!
I DO have an indoor and outdoor range that doesn't have such a rule that I can go to!

M2 Carbine
07-20-2012, 14:53
A indoor range opened locally a couple years ago. They tried that for a while. It didn't go over big and now you can pick up your brass and any other brass that's laying around.

hogship
07-20-2012, 16:01
When I go to the range, I pick up ALL reloadable cases........

If there were no rules, there would be no brass left. It would all be picked up by those who shoot there.

Not sure how that relates to this thread.........

ooc

Highspeedlane
07-20-2012, 16:27
Never heard that one before. Yea, I'd be looking for another range as well.

Dawolf
07-20-2012, 16:31
The indoor range I use allows you pick up your brass, unless you buy a bag range reloads, then you are not supposed to. Technically, you are only supposed to police your own brass, but I see a lot of people picking all the can collect.

Bruce M
07-20-2012, 16:38
A indoor range opened locally a couple years ago. They tried that for a while. It didn't go over big and now you can pick up your brass and any other brass that's laying around.

I have to ask - did you go there or just hear about the indoor range?? :whistling:

Dexters
07-20-2012, 16:42
"LEAVE ALL SPENT CASINGS ON FLOOR. NO PICKING UP OF BRASS IS ALLOWED." I handed the form back to the girl and said "I won't be shooting here" and left.

How much did it cost you in gas for the round trip & going to another range?

$ wise I'm thinking you should have shot there, left the brass and then not return.

With gas over $3/gal you have to do the math.

9jeeps
07-20-2012, 16:49
I've left ranges for various reasons more simple that policing my brass. Like RO's not monitoring the kids on the range. Our local range collected all the spent Bullets as well.

Baba Louie
07-20-2012, 17:15
For those types of ranges, wheelguns are your friends.

Jason D
07-20-2012, 17:26
Just because my gun ejects brass, doesn't make the brass any less mine.

Happy Hunting
07-20-2012, 17:28
A range by me makes you buy their rifle ammo and you can't touch the brass. "It becomes the property of Hoover Tactical when the case hits the floor". Cheapest 223 bullets they have are PMC Bronze for $7.50/20 rounds. Pretty expensive, no?

deputy tom
07-20-2012, 17:48
Shoot steel or aluminum.

^^ This. tom.

paintballwannab
07-20-2012, 18:11
A range by me makes you buy their rifle ammo and you can't touch the brass. "It becomes the property of Hoover Tactical when the case hits the floor". Cheapest 223 bullets they have are PMC Bronze for $7.50/20 rounds. Pretty expensive, no?

Perfect reason for a brass catcher....if it never hits the floor its not theirs :tongueout:

LibertyPatriot
07-20-2012, 18:35
That kind of policy would make me shoot through a bag of some sort to catch the brass. Just make sure it doesn't hit the floor.

CajunBass
07-21-2012, 08:21
I quit shooting semi-auto's because I'm too lazy to pick up brass.

stk10767
07-21-2012, 08:40

Sounds like outright theft to me. That's like saying to one of my buddies if he drops his cell phone in my house, it becomes my property!

Bob Hafler
07-21-2012, 08:53
The range I go to they expect you to police the area when your done. They have buckets for you to throw the brass in or if you wish you can take it with you. They supply the broom and the long handled dust pan. The place is always spotless as it's a simple rule that everyone abides by. To me that's just greed on there part.

CAcop
07-21-2012, 09:00
I bought a .22 conversion unit for my 1911s for this reason. I plan on picking one up for my 228.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Beanie-Bean
07-21-2012, 09:14
SigFTW,

I've pretty much done the same thing here...I only shoot at the range at where I'm a member, primarily due to:

1. Not getting swept by someone else's muzzle. The range can keep my brass. I am more concerned about the negligent folks who are not practicing firearm safety.

2. I can reclaim all my brass from my big old Harbor Freight tarp I lay out next to me. Not really required for G19 Gen4...:supergrin:

3. Better drive for me--the range which is open all the time has many stop lights and intersections to get through, even though it is closer in distance. My favorite place is a remote range out in the country.

4. I'm not having to shoot next to anyone most of the time. If there is a tactical bay available, I almost always shoot there.

5. Chronograph testing. Nobody else can shoot my chrony except for me :) Actually, it's faster for me, especially since I'm not waiting on any line to go hot/cold.

6. Steel targets. All the places here have paper targets for pistol. I like shooting my steel targets at different distances.

7. Rapid fire. If I'm feeling like practicing some quick-fire drills, then I will.

OK, I'll stop at that, although I could keep going...but I'm definitely onboard with keeping my own brass, including that brand-new Starline stuff I load out with new powders and projectiles.

SigFTW
07-21-2012, 15:16
SigFTW,

I've pretty much done the same thing here...I only shoot at the range at where I'm a member, primarily due to:

1. Not getting swept by someone else's muzzle. The range can keep my brass. I am more concerned about the negligent folks who are not practicing firearm safety.

2. I can reclaim all my brass from my big old Harbor Freight tarp I lay out next to me. Not really required for G19 Gen4...:supergrin:

3. Better drive for me--the range which is open all the time has many stop lights and intersections to get through, even though it is closer in distance. My favorite place is a remote range out in the country.

4. I'm not having to shoot next to anyone most of the time. If there is a tactical bay available, I almost always shoot there.

5. Chronograph testing. Nobody else can shoot my chrony except for me :) Actually, it's faster for me, especially since I'm not waiting on any line to go hot/cold.

6. Steel targets. All the places here have paper targets for pistol. I like shooting my steel targets at different distances.

7. Rapid fire. If I'm feeling like practicing some quick-fire drills, then I will.

OK, I'll stop at that, although I could keep going...but I'm definitely onboard with keeping my own brass, including that brand-new Starline stuff I load out with new powders and projectiles.

I don't know what range you shoot at but just reading your post is making want to move out to central Texas :)!!

TheGrimReaper
07-21-2012, 15:17
I don't blame you!!! I would have left too!!!

Jason D
07-21-2012, 17:42
I quit shooting semi-auto's because I'm too lazy to pick up brass.

I believe Dillon sells a device that that you can use to pick up brass. It's a large wire bowl on a stick. The brass pushes through the wire bowl and cannot fall back out.

Beanie-Bean
07-22-2012, 05:03
I don't know what range you shoot at but just reading your post is making want to move out to central Texas :)!!

The guys here at Best of the West are great, and I couldn't ask for a more ideal place to shoot:

http://texasshootingrange.com/

kirgi08
07-22-2012, 08:46
Business men,I don't agree but I understand their collective point.Just don't shoot there.'08.

ashecht
07-23-2012, 07:52

steel case ammo I can understand, but aluminum? Never heard of that one. Sounds like a money thing to me. My range lets me pick up anything I shoot, as long as I dont cross the firing line, duh. I use the dustpan and brooms and scoop it up every few mags or so

PawDog
07-23-2012, 09:04
Went to a indoor gun range to shoot my new P226, first time there. They give me the rules and start reading over them and get to number 18 "LEAVE ALL SPENT CASINGS ON FLOOR. NO PICKING UP OF BRASS IS ALLOWED." I handed the form back to the girl and said "I won't be shooting here" and left.

I can drop big bucks on guns and not think twice, but to leave my spent brass for the gun range, HECK NO!!! It's mine!!!! my precious, precious!! how dear they try to take my $10.00 worth of precious, precious brass! :steamed: It's not a very reloader (is that a word?) friendly gun range.

As I am driving away I think to my self, you cheap ba*tard, you left and did not shoot because of $10.00 worth of brass.:faint:

But it's sooooooo hard to leave my precious, precious!

Ho-well, I hit the range by the house they let you pick up your precious, precious.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg558/SigFTW1/smeagol.jpg

Sounds like you were at the "Brass Pro" shooting range in Grapevine.......:supergrin:

IGotIt
07-23-2012, 09:13
I hate stepping on brass lying on the ground or floor when I'm shooting so I stop every once in a while to clean up a bit. I guess if the range had a problem with me doing that, I wouldn't shoot there anymore

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 09:32
Just because my gun ejects brass, doesn't make the brass any less mine.

That's right. It's not about the freakin' dollars. It's the principles of things.

What does picking up brass have to do with safety? Is the brass picker going down range in front of muzzles?

Redheadhunter21
07-23-2012, 10:53
There's a couple reasons for not picking up brass once it hits the floor,
1. Range can sell brass to keep range costs down
2. Keeps people from chasing every little casing and causing a safety problem, I have seen people crawl under shooting lane tables to pick up what went forward
3. Keeps arguments about whose brass between shooters from happening
4. Keeps shooter attention on shooting not where brass falls

Jason D
07-23-2012, 17:34
There's a couple reasons for not picking up brass once it hits the floor,
1. Range can sell brass to keep range costs down
2. Keeps people from chasing every little casing and causing a safety problem, I have seen people crawl under shooting lane tables to pick up what went forward
3. Keeps arguments about whose brass between shooters from happening
4. Keeps shooter attention on shooting not where brass falls

What's mine is mine.
I wouldn't let some pecker just slip their hand in my pocket and steal my money. I understand to some extent the safety issue of not having people going forward of the firing line to collect their brass though. If range times were timed though in say blocks of 15 to 30 minutes then people could police their trash on a cease fire.

Since I spend a great deal reloading. I can pretty much tell what guns have fired what brass. I would have no trouble picking my brass out of a line up. It also helps that the brass I have been using lately is Winchester brass from the 60's.

D4RWlN
07-24-2012, 21:35
I refuse to shoot at any range that makes you buy their ammo or won't let you police your brass. The only exceptions is if they offer (not force you to buy) their own ammo with the agreement that the brass stays with them or if the fees to shoot is crazy low and they ask you to leave your brass to offset the price. In my experiences, usually the ones that want to screw you out of your brass or try to make you buy their ammo have unusually high prices just to shoot at their establishment and very high prices on their ammo. I refuse to do business with crooks.

catalyst686
07-25-2012, 00:10
HAHAHA, thanks for the hilarious post, I actually laughed out loud.

Lior
07-25-2012, 00:17
Shoot blackpowder.

Happy Hunting
07-25-2012, 23:06
I refuse to shoot at any range that makes you buy their ammo or won't let you police your brass. The only exceptions is if they offer (not force you to buy) their own ammo with the agreement that the brass stays with them or if the fees to shoot is crazy low and they ask you to leave your brass to offset the price. In my experiences, usually the ones that want to screw you out of your brass or try to make you buy their ammo have unusually high prices just to shoot at their establishment and very high prices on their ammo. I refuse to do business with crooks.

$23/person/range visit. $7.50/20 rds 55gr PMC bronze 223. $18.xx 50 rds 230 gr 45 ACP. Ain't cheap.

They have a booming business. I don't reload so I'm ambivalent as to how burned I am. I also prefer shooting outdoors for obvious reasons. Taping a target to a mobile piece of cardboard ain't worth getting your head shockwaved off every time the dude 3 feet from you blasts a Mosin. I'd make that 25 yd walk 8 days a week.

ZO6Vettever
07-26-2012, 05:27
We're lucky to have a real good, friendly staffed gun shop / range in the area. It's about 15 minutes farther than another but worth the trip. Shoot your own ammo, even reloads. Keep your brass. Seniors, over age 50 shoot for $5. from 10AM-1PM M-F. They also rent guns for $10. You have to buy their ammo for rentals but it's not way overpriced. Also for that $10. you can shoot any and all the guns they have. It's clean and well kept, including the rest rooms and the staff dpesn't hesitate to let foul mouthed guys know there are women in the place.

SigFTW
07-26-2012, 12:11
We're lucky to have a real good, friendly staffed gun shop / range in the area. It's about 15 minutes farther than another but worth the trip. Shoot your own ammo, even reloads. Keep your brass. Seniors, over age 50 shoot for $5. from 10AM-1PM M-F. They also rent guns for $10. You have to buy their ammo for rentals but it's not way overpriced. Also for that $10. you can shoot any and all the guns they have. It's clean and well kept, including the rest rooms and the staff dpesn't hesitate to let foul mouthed guys know there are women in the place.

The range by my home, only 10 min away, is a descent outdoor range however, it old and you are not allowed to rapid fire or double tap. The pistol stalls have brass catchers, makes it nice and easy to collect your brass. Cost only $10 per gun, and if you want you can shoot all day. However I wan't a range just like where Beanie-Bean shoots. :whistling:

oldnoob
07-26-2012, 13:25
I won't shoot there just to make a stand. And I don't even reload. I do pick up some my empty cartridges if there was any malfunction. As reminder of which brand of ammo my pistols like and dislike.

Reloaders are still minorities to any range I have gone to. I don't see any reason to make a police to show off their cheapness. I understand business needs to make money. And that's why we pay for range fee, gun rental, target, or buy their over priced ammo.

erkman
07-26-2012, 14:11
Just another reason I am glad I have my own range.